PDA

View Full Version : Where to get good Q in Memphis?

Tricky
08-24-2011, 03:44 PM
I'll be in Memphis, TN next weekend with my dad and three brothers and we're looking for a great place to get BBQ. We're looking for a place with great food. Atmosphere would be great too, as long as its not at the expense of great ribs and pulled pork.

We've heard about Rendezvouz, The German Commissary and Corky's. Thoughts on these and any other favorites?

deguerre
08-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Stay away from the Rendezvouz and Corky's. I do like The Bar-B Q Shop on Madison Ave and the original Central BBQ on Central Ave (Not the one on Summer) ain't too bad either. The Cozy Corner on N. Parkway does wonderful things with Cornish Hens. Of course, you have to try Gus's Chicken too.

Oh, and Memphis has a love affair with Top's BBQ for their...cheeseburgers. :)

Frank Grimes
08-24-2011, 04:10 PM
I was their in March, we went to BBQ Shop and Central BBQ(or Capital, don't remember for sure). Both were excellent. I did a lot of research and got reviews on where to go, as I only had a day. BBQ shop was great, the ribs were fantastic, though they sprinkle a rub on them before they bring them out that was mostly paprika. They had very good pulled pork as well, and it has a great atmosphere, the service was great, and I talked to the owner, he was very gracious and spent time with us. Central is a newer place that was voted best BBQ last year, the pulled pork was outstanding and the sides were great. Expect to stand in line, its by the university and fills up fast.

strawboss38679
08-24-2011, 04:15 PM
These are my recommendations. I lived in the area nearly my whole life

Bar B-Q Shop on Madison Ave
1782 Madison Avenue, Memphis
(901) 272-1277

Cozy Corner- Gotta try the cornish hen
745 North Parkway
Memphis, TN 38105
(901) 527-9158

Central BBQ (Make sure it's at this location, Not Summer ave.)
2249 Central Ave. Memphis,TN 38104
901-272-9377

Morris Grocery- (Small place where you will eat in the car but the best pulled pork sandwich I ever had around there)
10601 Macon
Eads, TN 38028
(901) 755-5804

The Germantown Commissary
2290 S Germantown Rd
Germantown, TN 38138
(901) 754-5540

Best Fried Chicken ever. Go to Mason location if you can, if not other one is good
Gus's Fried Chicken
505 Highway 70 W, Mason, TN 38049-5413
(901) 294-2028 ‎

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken
310 South Front Street, Memphis, TN 38103-4112
(901) 527-4877

Huey's- Best Hamburger in town. Go here for Blues, Beer & Burgers
1927 Madison Ave
Memphis, TN 38104
901-726-4372
901-726-9767

Only reason to go to Rendezvous or Corky's is if you want to say that you have been there, not get bbq

---k---
08-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Stay away from the Rendezvouz and Corky's. I do like The Bar-B Q Shop on Madison Ave and the original Central BBQ on Central Ave (Not the one on Summer) ain't too bad either. The Cozy Corner on N. Parkway does wonderful things with Cornish Hens. Of course, you have to try Gus's Chicken too.

Guerre gave me the same recommendations when I asked earlier this year. I did The Bar-B Q Shop an really enjoyed their ribs. I also tried Top's BBQ, but forgot that they are a place for burgers, and let's just say the pulled pork left a lot to be desired.

Also, FYI, there is a sub-forum called: "Brethren Road Trip" that is specifically for this type of question. If you search over there, you'll probably find this question with previous reviews. (This thread is bound to get moved too).

Please, after your visit update us on what you found. We'd love to hear it.

gtr
08-24-2011, 04:54 PM
And for quick/non bbq, there's always Krystal's - little square burgers (think White Castle but I prefer Krystal). I love it there even though I no longer drink. My wife hates it. Whatever you do, don't leave the bag in yer car - the next day the smell could knock a buzzard off a chitwagon - esp. this time of year.

Bigg Higg's BBQ
08-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Best Fried Chicken ever. Go to Mason location if you can, if not other one is good
Gus's Fried Chicken
505 Highway 70 W, Mason, TN 38049-5413
(901) 294-2028 ‎

I'll Second that for the best fried Chicken.

Bozo's BBQ is also located in Mason. Was great when i was a youngster, but i havent been there in years.

Mister Bob
08-24-2011, 05:02 PM
I've only been to Memphis twice, but the best BBQ I found was at Central BBQ, on Central Ave. I went to The Rendezvous, Corky's and Interstate and was totally unimpressed.

That said, the best and most memorable food I had while I was there was the fried chicken at Gus's on Front Street. Perfection, don't miss it!

aquablue22
08-24-2011, 05:05 PM
I would be willing to bet the best Q in town happens at this dudes house who can't seem to find his watch! Plus I hear his wife mixes one mean drink!

Bpig
08-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Let me add Payne's to the other places you were told about. It is on 1762 Lamar and I think it is the best sandwich in town. If you want to try so old style Memphis Q you can try Leonard's. They have arisen from the dead when they went back to the original recipes.

My favs are Paynes --sandwich
Cozy Corner-hen
Central -ribs
GC- it is all really good

MBidney
08-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Cozy Corner is my favorite for sure!

Black Dog BBQ
08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Whitey Johnson - Memphis Women and Chicken - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWZYEEWMaI)
Sorry, You say Memphis and this pops into my head.

grill 'em all
08-24-2011, 07:39 PM

i agree stay away from rendezvouz n corkys(both WAY overhyped) but i do enjoy interstate bbq on third st..not for atmosphere,but the the food is simple,delicious and priced right..if moneys no object check out Texas de Brazil right off beale st.. pricey but OOHHH MAMA..unbutton yo pants,lean the seat back and please dont be the one that has to drive home..stuffed belly is a huge understatement..

InTheRedZoneBBQ
08-24-2011, 08:01 PM
I agree, Interstate can be quite good. It sure ain't fancy, but who cares.

Bigdog
08-24-2011, 08:38 PM
For goodness sake, don't eat any on Beale Street. I was there a couple of months ago and eat at The Rum Boogie Cafe. Had the worst ribs I have ever tasted.:tsk::tsk::tsk: Good blues though and the beer was cold. :cool:

Funny thing about it is I eat there many years ago before I learned what good BBQ was and actually liked it.:icon_blush:

eggman
08-24-2011, 09:34 PM
We fly up to Memphis once or twice a month, and have been steadily burning through the list of good que joints. I'm a big fan of The Barbecue Shop, Central, and The Germantown Commissary.

I also am one of the few who likes Rendezvous, but I like to go there at 11:00 a.m., when the first ones are ready. They always seem to be overdone any other time. :boxing:

strawboss38679
08-24-2011, 10:10 PM
For goodness sake, don't eat any on Beale Street

Only thing to do on Beale is to listen to the blues

court
08-25-2011, 09:23 AM
BBQ shop or The Germantown Commissary for me without a doubt. I liked Rendezvous but didn't love it. Glad I at least tried it but nowhere near the quality of the others.

Bpig
08-25-2011, 12:42 PM
i agree stay away from rendezvouz n corkys(both WAY overhyped) but i do enjoy interstate bbq on third st..not for atmosphere,but the the food is simple,delicious and priced right..if moneys no object check out Texas de Brazil right off beale st.. pricey but OOHHH MAMA..unbutton yo pants,lean the seat back and please dont be the one that has to drive home..stuffed belly is a huge understatement..
You sir are a true carnivore recommending Texas de Brazil.

Interstate is run by the other brother. There is also a newer location in Southhaven if the third street location bothers you. The third street location is less than 50 yards from the interstate btw. The Neelys of the TV show have a BBQ called Neelys on Mt Moriah.

deguerre
08-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Do not, repeat do NOT, go to Neely's unless you want to get ribs that look like these...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46947&stc=1&d=1288585181

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46949&stc=1&d=1288585181

They tasted even worse than they looked...

I made the mistake of going to their Nashville shop while I was there since it was close to the hotel. I've no reason to believe the other locations would be different.

gtr
08-25-2011, 02:21 PM
^^^now that's a mess right there :shocked:

strawboss38679
08-25-2011, 07:30 PM
WOW what a mess

Bpig
08-26-2011, 01:24 PM
We have been doing Memphis BBQ tours this summer. Got the idea in Spain. We go in the afternoon so no trouble with crowds and hit 3-4 places. Order the same dish in each and then compare notes when done. It has been a lot of fun but of course we are talking Memphis Q so it is not a stretch.

None of us were fans of either Neely's joint. Neither the food not the presentation was up to snuff in our opinions.

1MoreFord
08-26-2011, 08:08 PM
I've tried Rendezvous, Interstate, and Central (on Central) and Central is the best of this lot.

Tricky
09-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Tried Central (on Central) for lunch, and unfortunately my pulled pork had very little taste. I was glad there was sauce, because the pork by itself was spongy and flavorless. I was really quite disappointed. At least the slaw was tasty.

Then went to the BBQ Shop that night for dinner. Mixed reviews from my dad and brothers on this one. Some loved the ribs - but mine were overcooked, which is never a good thing. And like someone said above, if you order them dry, they dump on a paprika-based rub right before serving; it was ok but not great. The chopped brisket was flavorful and easily my favorite of the night.

---
I am here: Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.121894,-75.725264)