PDA

View Full Version : How to keep brisket hot for serving

firefighter4634
08-23-2011, 08:23 PM
I usually eat all the brisket, or at least lots of it right after cooking or holding in a cooler for a time. This Friday night is our first home football game party. I am going to cook a flat the night before, reheat it in a baggie in simmering water. My questions is what is the best way to keep it hot for serving, not everyone will be eating at the same time. All I have is a small roaster. Can I put some liquid in the bottom of the roaster and hold it that way? Should I put enough liquid in so the meat is in the liquid. Also what should I use for liquid. Thanks gang.

jbrink01
08-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Cook it, cool it, slice it, put it in a pan. Reheat covered, beef broth , rub and a dash of sauce on it in a 325 oven for 1 hour.

J_Don
08-24-2011, 09:05 AM
My questions is what is the best way to keep it hot for serving, not everyone will be eating at the same time.

Great post especially for a novice like myself. In regards to your post, this is the question that I am interested in. Do I need to buy some sort of buffet system or is there a simpler cheaper way to accomplish the same?

Stoke&Smoke
08-24-2011, 10:25 AM
You could use a nesco type roaster if you have one, or for 7 or 8 bucks, you could go to Sams, Costco, GFS, etc, and pick up an inexpensive chafing setup

Edit: Just be sure to fill the main pan with about 3/4 to 1" hot water, and set your food pan above it. Can't tell how many parties or get togethers I've been to where the host didn't do this and the food nearest the pan bottom burned!

firefighter4634
08-24-2011, 09:10 PM
You could use a nesco type roaster if you have one, or for 7 or 8 bucks, you could go to Sams, Costco, GFS, etc, and pick up an inexpensive chafing setup

Edit: Just be sure to fill the main pan with about 3/4 to 1" hot water, and set your food pan above it. Can't tell how many parties or get togethers I've been to where the host didn't do this and the food nearest the pan bottom burned!

So you are saying if I use a electric roaster put some hot water in the bottom, the brisket in a small foil pan and set the pan in the roaster?

POORBOY
08-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Steam Table or Nesco type roaster.
Insert something like this in the bottom.
http://www.akitchen.com/store/JR-5309.html
Put liquid almost to top of insert.
Place smaller pan on insert.
Set temp to around 210.
Place lid on and refill liquid as needed.

OL' Timer
08-29-2011, 05:31 PM
I do full packers and when done separate the flat an cut it in half. Half goes in steam table with the fat separated Au jus from the cook, and hold at 150 the other half goes in holding cabinet

ChicagoSizzlin
08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
So you are saying if I use a electric roaster put some hot water in the bottom, the brisket in a small foil pan and set the pan in the roaster?

If your using a chaffing setup not a roaster. If your using a roaster you should use beef broth and any juices you kept from the cook itself.

I pan and foil my brisket just to make sure I have juices to mix with the broth.

If you do use a chaffing setup keep in mind the sterno candles that are sold with that usually only last 2 hours. You can get 6 hour candles but they usually dont include those in the kits.

Untraceable
09-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Are the cheapo wire chafing units strong enough to hold a full pan of pulled pork?