PDA

View Full Version : Best tool to prep Chicken Skin

BasicPatrick
08-23-2011, 10:16 AM
OK,

We are a rookie team doing well and are starting to find our own way. I have recently been focusing hard on improving my chicken scores and at our last contest (3rd ever) we got a 7th place Chicken.

I have decided that scraping skin and doing thighs is pretty much mandatory for a top 5 finish. Thus, I just have to get good at this process.

My question or at least the subject I would like to see some shared discussion is what is the best tool to scrape/filet/prep/remove fat from skin during the chicken prep.

So far I have been most happy using a quality filet knife and I really do filet the fat from the skin. Full disclosure is that I am a professional fisherman with outrageous filet skills. I still wonder if there is a better tool to use.

What other tools are people using? Any comments on why one tool over another?

SteerCrazy
08-23-2011, 10:26 AM
we use a very sharp knife. Most skins are tough enough to take the scraping but there will be some that will tear easily. I find that brining the chicken with the skins on helps them to scrape easier too

Jeff_in_KC
08-23-2011, 10:32 AM
I used to be known as the Schick guy for "shaving" my chicken skins. Actually, I never used one for that purpose, Gary. LOL! Don't even mess with it now. Just cook 'em up and let the chips fall where they may.

SteerCrazy
08-23-2011, 10:35 AM
I used to be known as the Schick guy for "shaving" my chicken skins. Actually, I never used one for that purpose, Gary. LOL! Don't even mess with it now. Just cook 'em up and let the chips fall where they may.

I'll have to agree with Jeff, we've been practicing without scraping and finding pretty much the same results. Our chicken always turns out great in practice, for some reason we cannot duplicate that in competition :tsk:

boogiesnap
08-23-2011, 10:39 AM
i use a 10" wustoff chef honed afterevery 6 or so. after you've done a few hundred, you'll get a feel for how and where to dig hard and where to be gentle.

use a sharp knife and practice.

Pelkster
08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
I scraped my skins during practice once. You can get the bite through skin you are looking for without scraping. I know a lot of teams that finish well that don't scrape theirs either. Its all about the trimming and getting rid of a lot of the fat and cartilege. I use thighs and debone them, and have found pretty good results. I've finished in the top 15 my last few competitions, including a 10th place call. My problem is the rub/sauce which makes it taste good but the color is dark. Point is, you can save yourself a lot of time by not scraping and still get really good results. :becky:

glenntm
08-23-2011, 11:21 AM
I'd focus on the cooking process, and temperature. That's more important than scrapping the skins. We haven't scrapped skins since last October and have had some good results.

CMALANGA
08-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I've done decent with not scraping and teriible with scraping. I don't think there's a magic answer. When I do scrape I use a super sharp chef's knife. There sounds like a a lot tips on technique and cooking temps sugeested above and I'm all ears to learn something new. I'll be doing a lot of practice mayself over the next month. If I find something consisten I'll be happy to let you know.

NRA4Life
08-23-2011, 12:26 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112275

sitnfat
08-23-2011, 12:26 PM
fillet like you said

Lakeside Smoker
08-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Time and patience.

-Mike

JayAre
08-23-2011, 03:57 PM
1 Inch Paint Scrapper (http://www.pricefalls.com/products/Red-Devil-630-3010-1-Inch-Wood-Scraper-Single-Edge-Blade-Carded/id/23354659) works like a charm...very quick

Dustaway
08-23-2011, 04:14 PM
this is the best I have found and you can clean you nails when done:clap2::-P
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=vegetable+peeler&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2735753323764776228&sa=X&ei=5xdUTtbqN8mKsQKzpf2pBw&ved=0CIgBEPMCMAI#
:-P

Jorge
08-23-2011, 04:46 PM

Wasn't it "Lady Schick"?:-P

Podge
08-23-2011, 06:25 PM
The best tool to get the fat off of chicken skin is to have someone else do it.

huminie
08-23-2011, 06:47 PM
I don't scrape either. I use a nice flexible fish fillet knife to get the really thick fat off...it will cut right through it. Make sure the chicken is nice and cold and it is a snap.

Prepping chicken is still the worst job in all of competition BBQ as far as I am concerned though!

boogiesnap
08-23-2011, 07:04 PM
bed @ 1A, up @ 3A is tops on my list.

INmitch
08-23-2011, 09:44 PM
OK,

We are a rookie team doing well and are starting to find our own way. I have recently been focusing hard on improving my chicken scores and at our last contest (3rd ever) we got a 7th place Chicken.

I have decided that scraping skin and doing thighs is pretty much mandatory for a top 5 finish. Thus, I just have to get good at this process.

My question or at least the subject I would like to see some shared discussion is what is the best tool to scrape/filet/prep/remove fat from skin during the chicken prep.

So far I have been most happy using a quality filet knife and I really do filet the fat from the skin. Full disclosure is that I am a professional fisherman with outrageous filet skills. I still wonder if there is a better tool to use.

What other tools are people using? Any comments on why one tool over another?
I too am a former professional walleye fisherman. Fished the PWT and FLW circuits. The fat on skins is flavor!!! You don't have to fillet/scrape it off!!! There is other ways to get bite through skins!

JD McGee
08-24-2011, 09:56 AM
The best tool for chicken skin is a very hot smoker...;o)

Jeff_in_KC
08-24-2011, 12:23 PM
The best tool for chicken skin is a very hot smoker...;o)

The very BEST response yet! And probably no better ones I can think of!

Lake Dogs
08-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I can think of a few *tools* who are good at it; whom is best, I dont know....

Bite Me BBQ
08-24-2011, 10:36 PM
I scrape my chicken skins with a dinner spoon. use the edge.

Brewer
08-25-2011, 01:18 AM
I use two flat top grill scrapers - one to hold the skin, one to scrape it - works well and quickly. However, a friend of mine (you know who you are) convinced me this weekend (through perpetual flogging and a 1st place win) to stop spending so much time scraping and just cook the damn chicken... I presume over high heat since that's how he rolls. :becky:

rookiedad
08-25-2011, 09:01 AM
i use a Copco ice cream scoop. it works pretty well.

http://www.copco.com/store/site/product.cfm/id/2B234685-1E0B-C910-EA1B6CE74331DBC4/fid/2B234695-1E0B-C910-EA048EC4E50BC27F.cfm

JD McGee
08-25-2011, 10:40 AM
I use two flat top grill scrapers - one to hold the skin, one to scrape it - works well and quickly. However, a friend of mine (you know who you are) convinced me this weekend (through perpetual flogging and a 1st place win) to stop spending so much time scraping and just cook the damn chicken... I presume over high heat since that's how he rolls. :becky:

Lol...look for a Hot-n-Fast cooking class in the Pacific Northwest in the off season...;o)

Fat Woody
08-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Hard to beat a sharp fillet knife if you're gonna remove fat, but I think hot & fast is starting to win the day. I know that's what we'll be working on for the future.

swamprb
08-25-2011, 06:19 PM
3M Scotchcal Application Squeegee (Gold) and a Jaccard.

BasicPatrick
08-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the responses...hopefully one of these days the lab rat chicken will not be winning....it is here in New England.

INmitch
08-26-2011, 09:57 PM
I'll give one little hint. Ya know when yer payin yer electric bill & ya tear off the piece that they say send with........Ah sh!t I'm drinkin again .....never mind!!!:thumb: think about it.