PDA

View Full Version : KCBS event by yourself can it be done?

Shiz-Nit
08-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I have a comp next month. My 1st KCBS by the way, anyway my friend who helps sometimes can not make it that weekend. My question is can this be pulled off okay with just me there?

Fatback Joe
08-22-2011, 03:03 PM
You bet. My son was with me this weekend and ran my boxes, but I am a one man show.

Key is to have everything organized and a solid timeline.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
08-22-2011, 03:08 PM
For your first contest? Alone? Technically, yes. In reality, don't try it (IMHO). Ask for help on this board.

Shiz-Nit
08-22-2011, 03:21 PM
For your first contest? Alone? Technically, yes. In reality, don't try it (IMHO). Ask for help on this board.

The coking I think I will be okay with (I hope!!). But a box runner would be great if I could find one. Ask for help on the board? That would awesome if a fellow Brethren could lend a hand on Sept 23 - 24 in Owensboro Kentucky.

jrbBBQ
08-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I've done 5 contests this year and do all the prep/cooking myself, I've been lucky enough to have someone show up on saturdays to run my boxes, I could do it myself at most events, but if the turn in was very far it would be a little tough.

Podge
08-22-2011, 03:44 PM
My first GC was totally by myself. Just get a game plan and keep things simple. Not hard to do.

Rub
08-22-2011, 04:12 PM
What Podge said. Mine are solo as well (25+), except the couple of times a year that we vend.

Jeff_in_KC
08-22-2011, 04:12 PM
I agree with Dan... wouldn't want to try it for your first event - there's enough to think about already without the added stress.

RangerJ
08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
I've been a one man show since the beginning. I have 20 something son, who was physically present, but found a tent where the copious amonts of liquor flowed all night at the first one.

Its alot of work but doable. And each one gets easier as you get more organized.

All that being said, I've often wished I had a partner to lighten the load.

nthole
08-22-2011, 04:49 PM
It's doable, but have a very specific plan that you follow so you don't get behind. And definitely a box runner would be helpful, but if you don't have one you'll live. If you are on your own and the event will be a bit spread out you might let the organizer know you are on your own and see if there is a chance they'll make sure you get a spot setup a bit closer to the judging turn in.

bookie
08-22-2011, 04:59 PM
I was thinking about trying some competitions next year. My wife said she would come along, but due to health, I would being doing about 96%.
This and no experience sometimes get me thinking it may not be worth the effort. Participating to me would be more for excitement and fun, not so much about winning and being a one man gang, busting butt, might take this away.

Sledneck
08-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Ive done it and ran my own boxes. The way things are looking I will doing it again this weekend. So glad my spot is close th judging area

Big Mike
08-22-2011, 05:12 PM
The coking I think I will be okay with (I hope!!). But a box runner would be great if I could find one. Ask for help on the board? That would awesome if a fellow Brethren could lend a hand on Sept 23 - 24 in Owensboro Kentucky.

Depending on where your spot is, turn-ins in Owensboro can be a bit of a walk. I know someone who ran his own boxes at Owensboro but if I were you I would see if I could find someone to run the boxes. If you can't, definitely see if they can put you as close to the turn-in location as possible

bbqbull
08-22-2011, 05:19 PM
I am no expert at the Royal. I assisted the Smoking Scotsmen and at a fast walk it was around 5.5 minutes from our spot to turn in.
That did not include the bicycle race 2 years ago that slowed us up for a while during their finish.

There were a lot of folks who were much farther away than us.........just saying.

Rich Parker
08-22-2011, 05:45 PM
I am a one man show and have the physique of BBQ Small if you catch my drift and have no problems doing it at all. Sometimes it is nice to have someone taking care of the turn ins but for me it is enjoyable doing it alone.

The one tip I can add to the list is do as much as possible at home before you get there. That includes making rubs, making injections, making marinades, trimming all meat, and even making your boxes (Diva Q's method (http://divaq.ca/making-parsley-turn-in-boxes-in-advance-the-putting-green)) if you want to party a little on Friday night.

After I unload on friday, I probably have about 15 mins of work (injecting meat) until I need to actually start preparing to cook around 10:30pm. That gives me several hours to socialize and watch others work. :heh:

PigTamer
08-22-2011, 05:50 PM
I am a one man show and have the physique of BBQ Small if you catch my drift and have no problems doing it at all. Sometimes it is nice to have someone taking care of the turn ins but for me it is enjoyable doing it alone.

The one tip I can add to the list is do as much as possible at home before you get there. That includes making rubs, making injections, making marinades, trimming all meat, and even making your boxes (Diva Q's method (http://divaq.ca/making-parsley-turn-in-boxes-in-advance-the-putting-green)) if you want to party a little on Friday night.

After I unload on friday, I probably have about 15 mins of work (injecting meat) until I need to actually start preparing to cook around 10:30pm. That gives me several hours to socialize and watch others work. :heh:
What is the Diva Q's method...the link doesn't open.???

The Virginian
08-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Get a runner. You have enough to worry about at a first contest. good luck!

Brett

Rich Parker
08-22-2011, 08:01 PM
What is the Diva Q's method...the link doesn't open.???

If this doesn't work go to divaq.ca and scroll to the bottom for the search bar and type in "making parsley turn in boxes in advance". The blog you want is the second one down. Enjoy!

http://divaq.ca/making-parsley-turn-in-boxes-in-advance-the-putting-green

I am now making my boxes the weekend before the next comp. I throw them in the fridge and never look at them again until i get to the contest. I would much rather make boxes at home catching up on TV than spending a couple of hours at the comp.

Sylvie
08-22-2011, 08:30 PM
For the last few events I have competed in I did all the cooking and prep however, I did have help setting up the heavy stuff and to run the boxes. Bigmista hasn't chimed in but I know for a fact that he has done a comp by himself and with no runners.

As long as you manage your time by doing things like the meat trimming and doing your boxes prior to the comp you are good to go.

Smokenstein & monster crew
08-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Oh yes.....
I do all the work,
wife takes all the credit

fnbish
08-22-2011, 08:42 PM
You can do it. Now we have 2 people, but everything is as prepped as it can be before we head out and that makes all the difference. All the meat is trimmed, rubs made, sauce made, injections made. So it seems like all we really do on Friday (for comp turn in meat) is rub/inject the meat then it goes on the smoker. 1 person would definitely have more moving around during turn ins, but many others do it.

Sledneck
08-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Try the pickled pig flp method for parsley boxes. http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/bbq-contests/3056-putting-greens-ii-magical-box-flip-method-transfer.html

PCDoctor_1979
08-22-2011, 09:42 PM
At our contest earlier this year, we had two "teams" that were solo acts. I asked them if they wanted help and they took me up on the offer. We found knowledgeable volunteers to run the boxes. Just make your need known to the organizer or reps and you will get the help you want for box runners.

Sylvie
08-23-2011, 12:43 AM
The Pickled Pig technique can also be used to replace a damaged contest box. The tabs on one of our contest boxes broke after I built the box and I had to get a replacement from the reps. I did the described transfer and voila a new box in seconds.

yelonutz
08-23-2011, 01:18 AM
I always cook by myself. Biggest tip is to NOT drink until that brisket box hits the turn in table.
NUTZ

Candy Sue
08-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Lots of good advice above! I cook alone and have for many years. Figure out how long all 4 meats take to cook at home and add an hour at a contest. Simplify all you can with everything. Don't take it if you don't use it cause guarantee at some point in time you'll have to move it. Ask the organizer if you can be placed close to turn in (very very important) or if they know anyone who can run your boxes. Good luck!

HawgNationBBQ
08-23-2011, 07:48 AM

Agreed. I saw it done three weeks ago and a friend of ours took 1st in two categories and GC. However, this was by far not his first competition. At least try to find someone to run your boxes. Good luck.

ique
08-23-2011, 08:08 AM
I agree with Dan... wouldn't want to try it for your first event - there's enough to think about already without the added stress.

I dont know, sometimes team-mates and trying to figure out how to work together can be stressful. I personally like cooking solo and would recommend keeping it as simple as possible starting with cooking as little meat as possible, like 2 butts, 1 brisket, 3 racks of ribs and 12 chicken thighs. Write the plan down and find a runner if possible.

virginia lawyer
08-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Just started competing this year, and have done all 4 solo from start to finish. Bit of a pain to be located away from the judge's tent - gives you less time to think about your next box and actually put it together, but can be done nonetheless. Have placed in the top 10 overall in 2 out of the 4, and took 5th in chicken in the other one. Helps to have friendly teams next to you in case you forget something (like a hose), because your time is at a premium. Agree with the tip about prepping meat at home as much as possible - otherwise you will get very little rest and no socializing Friday night/Saturday morning. :thumb:

Jeff_in_KC
08-23-2011, 10:39 AM
I dont know, sometimes team-mates and trying to figure out how to work together can be stressful. I personally like cooking solo and would recommend keeping it as simple as possible starting with cooking as little meat as possible, like 2 butts, 1 brisket, 3 racks of ribs and 12 chicken thighs. Write the plan down and find a runner if possible.

I know what you mean... I cook with just my wife! :becky::laugh:

Seriously though, that takes a lot of the stress out of the equation for multiple reasons.

Capn Kev
08-23-2011, 04:52 PM

Agreed. I have done 2-3 comps solo, and it takes most of the fun out of it! You have some kind of task keeping you busy almost the entire time. Find a friend, split the load! Remember, the most important goal in competition BBQ is to HAVE FUN!

boogiesnap
08-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Agreed. I have done 2-3 comps solo, and it takes most of the fun out of it! You have some kind of task keeping you busy almost the entire time. Find a friend, split the load! Remember, the most important goal in competition BBQ is to HAVE FUN!

i've done it as well. while i had a little down time, i was working hard, with no feedback, for basically 48 hours straight really. kinda unfun, but alot of fun. if that makes any sense.