PDA

View Full Version : Check for those foreign objects...

Pigs on Fire
08-21-2011, 11:56 AM
There seems to be a focus on DQ'ing a team for any reason or the competition has gotten so tough, we are just missing steps/items.

When I was processing our leftovers at Sam's yesterday, I found a piece of Harry Soo-style foil that got pushed down into a butt. (No we didn't get a DQ, just a PSA).

It would probably have been tough to catch during the time of prepping the pork box. It just caught my eye with the slight reflection.

Jeff_in_KC
08-21-2011, 05:10 PM
There's no "focus" on DQ-ing anyone but when it happens, you have to abide by the rules. Thanks for the heads up though. We've been fortunate so far but need to use greater caution when temping meat in foil.

rweller
08-22-2011, 10:34 AM
There's no "focus" on DQ-ing anyone but when it happens, you have to abide by the rules.

I agree with Jeff 100%. I judge mainly and have done a lot of contest and most Reps will do there best to NOT DQ a team.

Kit R
08-22-2011, 10:55 AM
I agree with Jeff 100%. I judge mainly and have done a lot of contest and most Reps will do there best to NOT DQ a team.

We got "foiled" in Lexington NC this April and I really believe Ron Harwell felt worse then we did when he had to break the news to us. No more foil anywhere near the cutting board, and we do a VERY thorough FOD (that's pilot talk for "foreign object") check of each piece of meat that goes in the boxes. Anything's possible, of course, but thanks for the reminder and take necessary precautions.