PDA

View Full Version : I'm Going to Lockhart, TX!

Boshizzle
08-18-2011, 11:01 PM
I just got the news this week. My job is sending me to Austin, TX which about 45 minutes away from Lockhart the BBQ capital of TX. I am so excited and wanted to share the news with people who would understand how cool it is.

I mentioned to some co-workers that I will be making the pilgrimage to Lockhart and they looked at me like a calf in head lights and asked why I didn't just get them to ship some BBQ to me. Whatever.

My trip is in December, so I have some time to plan it. I will visit the Salt Lick and then Smitty's, Kreuz, and Blacks all documented with pictures and copious notes.

I will try my best to describe the flavor of the BBQ from each place and find out as much as I can about replicating it at home.

I'd like to share the trip with the brethren so, what details would you find interesting to find out and what pics would you like to see?

Taco Man
08-18-2011, 11:07 PM
I would say City Market in Luling and Coopers in Llano would be better stops. Of those on your list the Salt lick wins on atmosphere and byob.

NorthwestBBQ
08-18-2011, 11:08 PM
There are four great BBQ restaurants in Lockhart, TX:

http://www.kreuzmarket.com/index.shtml

http://www.smittysmarket.com/

http://www.blacksbbq.com/

http://www.chisholmtrailbbq.com/

QansasjayhawQ
08-18-2011, 11:12 PM
That's awesome - and why I enjoy the BBQ Bible book so much. To be able to travel around and be exposed to all kinds and styles of BBQ - that's a dream come true!

Congrats on your opportunity! I look forward to hearing what you find . . .

El Ropo
08-18-2011, 11:16 PM
If you're staying in Austin, check out Franklin BBQ, THEN go to Lockhart. Franklin starts with the best meat, and simple cooking technique.

They were just recently voted best BBQ in the country (it's due to the quality of meat and simple cooking style, very easy to repeat)

Don't waste your time with Rudy's, it's the McDonalds of BBQ joints.

MikeyLuvsBBQ
08-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Man, that is absolutely cool! I travel a fair amount with my job and I always seek out BBQ joints where ever I travel. Looking forward to the pron from your trip! Enjoy the trip and the experience.

thirdeye
08-18-2011, 11:21 PM
I wish I could make that barbecue crawl with ya. One of them is closed on Sunday, I'm thinkiing it's Smittys?? Get with thillin, Ty would know.

Also you can buy the rub at both Kreuz and Smitty's. They only sell it at the store, no internet sales.

MilitantSquatter
08-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Have a great trip !!!! Can't wait to read about your thoughts and see your pics as well.

Definitely head to City Market in Luling too...about 10-15 miles south of Lockhart... It's worth it.

This was my recap of my trip back in April (City Market in Luling, Black's, Smitty's, Kreuz all in Lockhart, Louis Muellers in Taylor and Snow's in Lexington all done between Friday Afternoon and Sat morning/early afternoon

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103189&highlight=brooklyn

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/MilitantSquatter/Texas%20BBQ/?albumview=slideshow

gtr
08-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Totally jealous here! I look forward to hearing about it. Get some Elgin sausage while yer there. Did I mention I was jealous?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Great trip in store for you. Be sure to check out the hours they will be open. Noontime is gonna be better since some close at 6:00 PM or so and are closed Sundays as mentioned above.

Salt Lick isn't the best BBQ, but it sure is an experience. The long wait is part of it, so get yourself a cooler of beer and get with the program.:becky:

Frankbbq
08-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Try the sausage at Mueller's.
The 1 1/2" pork chops are good at many places.

Taylor Cafe has a "Locals" throw back entry door insider joke. Whites use the door on the RR track side, Hispanics the front door on one side and blacks the other front door.

Cooper's in Llano is good.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-19-2011, 01:48 AM
+1 on City Market in Luling like Vinnie said if you can find the time. Same goes for Mullers in Taylor.

Boshizzle
08-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks brethren for the tips! I will have most of the day Saturday to get to as many BBQ restaurants as possible that are outside of Austin. If they are in Austin I will visit them on weekday evenings. Unless I decide to fly in a day early, I will be arriving on a Wed. evening and flying out on the following Sunday morning.

Looking at the map, I'm thinking I should be able to get by Snows by 8am Saturday and then make the ~ 1 hour drive down to Lockhart by 11:30am. Is that doable?

Boshizzle
08-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Have a great trip !!!! Can't wait to read about your thoughts and see your pics as well.

Definitely head to City Market in Luling too...about 10-15 miles south of Lockhart... It's worth it.

This was my recap of my trip back in April (City Market in Luling, Black's, Smitty's, Kreuz all in Lockhart, Louis Muellers in Taylor and Snow's in Lexington all done between Friday Afternoon and Sat morning/early afternoon

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103189&highlight=brooklyn

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww8/MilitantSquatter/Texas%20BBQ/?albumview=slideshow

Wow! That's an awesome trip! Thanks for posting it here.

Smiter Q
08-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Salt Lick has AMAZING atmosphere.

FRANKLIN's is indeed King Daddy for Brisket.
He sells out everyday before the evening last I know.

http://franklinbarbecue.com/

RangerJ
08-19-2011, 01:58 PM
I have yet to hear from anyone who has eaten at Franklin. He certainly has achived quite a following in 2 years.

Anyone on this fourm ever eaten there?

You have an itinerary lined up that will take you to all the of the best que.

If you feel like waiting in line for several hours to see what Franklin is all about, by all means do so, let us know how it compares with all the other stops on your journey.

Enjoy the trip!

MilitantSquatter
08-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks brethren for the tips! I will have most of the day Saturday to get to as many BBQ restaurants as possible that are outside of Austin. If they are in Austin I will visit them on weekday evenings. Unless I decide to fly in a day early, I will be arriving on a Wed. evening and flying out on the following Sunday morning.

Looking at the map, I'm thinking I should be able to get by Snows by 8am Saturday and then make the ~ 1 hour drive down to Lockhart by 11:30am. Is that doable?

Yes.. definitely doable.. get to Snow's early.. As you saw from my pics, there was a small line in the early Sat AM... have a BBQ breakfast, you can easily be gone by 10 depending if you hang around and then get back to Lockhart by well before noon and could go to City Market in Luling too as well as Lockhart. I went to Snow's then to Taylor, TX to Louie Muellers and planned on Taylor Cafe around the corner but was stuffed.. but regret not going.

Wow! That's an awesome trip! Thanks for posting it here.

Thanks !! I hope you have the same great experience..

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-19-2011, 08:18 PM
I have yet to hear from anyone who has eaten at Franklin. He certainly has achived quite a following in 2 years.

Anyone on this fourm ever eaten there?

Several have gone there and have given very positive reviews. I am sure some of them will chime in. Here is one thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100963

MilitantSquatter
08-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Several have gone there and have given very positive reviews. I am sure some of them will chime in. Here is one thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100963

and the pic of this Franklin brisket is one of the finest I have ever seen

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1746515&postcount=1
(http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113501&highlight=franklin+bbq)

caseydog
08-19-2011, 08:44 PM
I will visit the Salt Lick and then Smitty's, Kreuz, and Blacks all documented with pictures and copious notes.

I've been to all of them over the years. And, a few others in the Hill Country. I like your choices. I also like Coopers.

I use The Salt Lick's rub recipe a lot. It is very simple. I love it.

Have fun!

CD

Smiter Q
08-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Salt Lick has AMAZING atmosphere.

FRANKLIN's is indeed King Daddy for Brisket.
He sells out everyday before the evening last I know.

http://franklinbarbecue.com/

Meant to also mention he only uses PRIME

smoken don
08-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Glad Snowsmgot a mention.Tell em where your your from and what your doing.We got a tour and talked with the cook.She is amazing!

Smoken Don

---k---
08-24-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm jealous. Sounds like an awesome time.

I was in Austin earlier this year. I posted a thread here somewhere. Highlights were: Franklin's BBQ was life changing! I am dead serious about that, you can ask my wife. My co-worker and I considered trying to squeeze Lockhart into our schedule, but decided to goto Franklin's two days in a row.

Salt Lick is great atmosphere, and open in the evening. That is the important thing I wanted to make sure you know, because I've been burned by it a couple of times and can't seem to remember it:

The best BBQ joints in TX cook their brisket at night, serve for lunch and when they are out of meat they are closed. You got to get to the best places for lunch. TexMex is for dinner. ;)

Looking forward to your review. :thumb:

Boshizzle
08-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all the tips and that Franklin's brisket in that post looks amazing!

My company has reserved a spot in Salt Lick for a company meal one evening, so that one's covered. My wife will be with me and will have the days free, so I'm thinking that I will have her go by Franklins early one weekday morning and bring the Q back to the hotel room where I can meet her for lunch.

Saturday AM, I will make the trip to Snows then down to Lockhart. I will also have to figure out a way to get up to Louie Mueller BBQ if I can.

MilitantSquatter
08-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Saturday AM, I will make the trip to Snows then down to Lockhart. I will also have to figure out a way to get up to Louie Mueller BBQ if I can.

SNow's opens at 8.. You can get there at 8, stay still 9:15AM, then drive 45 minutes to get to Louie Mueller's which opens at 10AM... Stay till 11AM (maybe swing by Taylor Cafe around the corner), then drive 1:20 minutes to Luling to go to City Market around 12:30, stay till 1:30, then drive 20 minutes north to Lockhart and bang out Smitty's, Black's & Kreuz and you can be done mid/late afternoon !!!

It's a bit of a challenge, and you're stomach might not have room, but if you're there why not ??

Maybe ? :icon_blush:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Franklin's is closed Mondays just so you know.

Bigmista
08-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Be sure and try the fish.

Boshizzle
08-26-2011, 03:46 PM
SNow's opens at 8.. You can get there at 8, stay still 9:15AM, then drive 45 minutes to get to Louie Mueller's which opens at 10AM... Stay till 11AM (maybe swing by Taylor Cafe around the corner), then drive 1:20 minutes to Luling to go to City Market around 12:30, stay till 1:30, then drive 20 minutes north to Lockhart and bang out Smitty's, Black's & Kreuz and you can be done mid/late afternoon !!!

It's a bit of a challenge, and you're stomach might not have room, but if you're there why not ??

Maybe ? :icon_blush:

Good strategy. So, the Lockhart places should have plenty of meat in the afternoon? If so, that makes things a little easier.

Boshizzle
08-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Be sure and try the fish.

Of course! You don't think I was going on this pilgrimage just to eat TX BBQ do you? :laugh:

ThomEmery
08-26-2011, 04:41 PM
We enjoyed our day in Lockhart

Ask to take the pit tour at Blacks really neat
Smittys live fire is somethin to see

fivelombardis
08-28-2011, 05:29 PM
If you're staying in Austin, check out Franklin BBQ, THEN go to Lockhart. Franklin starts with the best meat, and simple cooking technique.

They were just recently voted best BBQ in the country (it's due to the quality of meat and simple cooking style, very easy to repeat)

Don't waste your time with Rudy's, it's the McDonalds of BBQ joints.

if you do go to Franklin's...show up by 10:45 to get in line...after that, it might be too late.

Chenernator
09-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Have fun! Here's my review from the my trip: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112601 Biggest recommendation - be sure to ask for fatty meat.

tbone310
09-21-2011, 01:21 AM
Just got back from Austin (Austin City Limits). First stop was lamberts. The second was Franklins. The last was Smittys.

Lamberts, was really good. Nothing bad and sides were a little more fancy than the usual BBQ joint. Good beers on tap and easy to get to since it in town and was close to where we were staying.*

Franklins rocked. I prefer a different style pork rib but the brisket set a new standard. The turkey was better than any turkey I've ever had and the sausages were good too. The brisket, the brisket the brisket. What can I say it was awesome. It was even worth the 2 1/2 wait. Got there at 10am. Do your self a favor and go there.*

Smittys was great too but totally different. The brisket and sausages are the go. Try the prime rib too.*

I guess prefer BBQ sauce but I now get why and *what the deal is with BBQ and no sauce. it really can be great and the art of making BBQ without it really takes skill.*

Oh, and had Salt lick at the airport. Brisket was really good wouldn't recommend the rest.

Boshizzle
12-01-2011, 06:54 PM
My trip is coming starting on Dec. 7. I hope to stop by Franklin and the Salt Lick during the weekdays. Saturday my plan is to go first to Snows, then down to Lockhart for the others. I will have to figure out a way to get Lamberts in the mix too.

Any suggestions on how to pull it all off? The only free day I have is Saturday.

MilitantSquatter
12-01-2011, 08:35 PM
My trip is coming starting on Dec. 7. I hope to stop by Franklin and the Salt Lick during the weekdays. Saturday my plan is to go first to Snows, then down to Lockhart for the others. I will have to figure out a way to get Lamberts in the mix too.

Any suggestions on how to pull it all off? The only free day I have is Saturday.

You may also want to consider J Mueller's .... If the name is familiar, it's because he one of the sons of Bobby Mueller of Louis Mueller fame in Taylor.. Apparently, from what I've previously read due to some family issues, he's not been associated with the Taylor place, but has been on his own in the past, and re-opened just recently with a new roadside stand..

http://jmuellerbbq.com/

On that Sat... after you run the tables in Lockhart, if you've got the time, drive 15 minutes to City Market in Luling

Smiter Q
12-02-2011, 03:14 AM

Depending where you are in Austin, the Salt Lick can take awhile to get to. For reference it is actually in Driftwood, which is about 30 minutes from Franklins, not including traffic. So if you are in central or north Austin, and are on a limited time schedule for day hours, it may not be doable. There is a more north Salt Lick, but that does not have the same atmosphere... or all you can eat price. :becky: Franklins closes when the meat is gone for the day... and it is ALWAYS gone. So plan that for an earlier lunch if you can. I have stood for an hour plus before at Franklins waiting in line, so keep that in mind.

Just south of Austin is a Cabellas. Great place to visit if you like that stuff. The trophies there are quite rare.

If you want any chicken while in town... look for any "El Regio" or "Pollo Rico." If you never had Mexican style grilled chicken, you will be converted eating at these places. You order either a 1/2 or whole chicken. With it you get 10 corn tortillas, best dang beans you ever had, rice, lime, a red and a green sauce. Finger looking good. Think the 1/2 is like $8 and whole is around $13.

Where are you staying when in town? Hope you enjoy your stay.. this is really one of America's best cities on many levels.

Boshizzle
12-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. My hotel is within walking distance to Lambert's BBQ so I will be eating dinner there Wednesday night. Friday night I will be at the Salt Lick. Saturday I plan on heading out early to Snow's then heading south to Lockhart. From there I will try to work into the schedule JMuellers and City Market. I still need to figure out how I am going to get to Franklin BBQ. Thurs and Fri I have to work during the day with events each evening. So, we'll see.

Flavor Gangster
12-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Travel there once every 3 months for work.
Salt lick is OK in my opinion, would only go back if a group requested. Yes out of the way! Also, I was not blown away, actually dissapointed. The sauce is weird and meat was good. All the big meats are done on Ole Hickory Pits in the back. Just held over the fire pits for show.
Smitty's always has my vote followed by Blacks.
You need to find The Evil Weiner Food Truck. Goto their FB page. They have outstanding hotdogs. I mean different.
Smiter Q, I will get in touch next time I come down.

Smiter Q
12-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. My hotel is within walking distance to Lambert's BBQ so I will be eating dinner there Wednesday night. Friday night I will be at the Salt Lick. Saturday I plan on heading out early to Snow's then heading south to Lockhart. From there I will try to work into the schedule JMuellers and City Market. I still need to figure out how I am going to get to Franklin BBQ. Thurs and Fri I have to work during the day with events each evening. So, we'll see.

IMPORTANT INFO: Salt Lick is BYOB. Folks sit outside waiting with mega coolers. Do not forget to bring your own if your wanting.

Boshizzle
12-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the info.

Should I get to one of the BBQ restaurants in Lockhart before the others?

BTW - We added a visit to the Alamo and the San Antonio River Walk to the trip too.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
12-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Be sure to check the hours they are open. I believe Black's still stays open the latest.

Jorge
12-06-2011, 07:18 PM
The Riverwalk as vastly overrated in my opinion. The food in some cases is pretty good but I've never had anything great, but haven't been back in years because it's just a zoo now. At this time of year, with the lights up it should be wall to wall people unless it's raining. Check with Zilla since he's still local to SA, and knows all of the good spots in town.

Boshizzle
12-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I got to Austin at about 11am so I was able to eat at Lamberts for lunch and J Muellers for dinner. Interesting experiences at both places. I will post full reviews and pics when I get my computer setup for Internet access at the hotel.

bmanMA
12-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Nice. I did my first crawl like a year or so ago. Headed South, started at City Market and crawled my way up.

Gotta hit Franklin's, esp. if you need to stay local, like for lunch.
It used to be out of a funky green trailer. Last time I was down there, stuck at work all night, I learned that they moved.

RangerJ
12-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I got to Austin at about 11am so I was able to eat at Lamberts for lunch and J Muellers for dinner. Interesting experiences at both places. I will post full reviews and pics when I get my computer setup for Internet access at the hotel.

I'll be interested to hear the J Mueller review. I sent my kids who reside in Austin there to check out the place to see if I could hang on the brisket side of the house. They of course are partial to home cooking but they did say it was pretty good and that they loved the sausage.

Smiter Q
12-08-2011, 10:10 AM
At Franklins, folks order it as "Fatty Brisket." Make sure to have plenty of napkins.

Boshizzle
12-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I just finished the TX BBQ tour tonight. Wed. to Fri. I was able to eat at Lamberts, J Muellers, Franklin and the Salt Lick. Today I fit in Snows, Blacks, Smittys, Kreuz and Iron Works.

My Internet access is limited so I will have to wait until at least Sunday night afterI get home for full reviews. But, I had a blast.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
12-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Sounds like quite the crawl. Looking forward to how they stacked up for you. They differ every time I try them.

MilitantSquatter
12-11-2011, 08:40 AM
nice... looking forward to the reviews.

Cloudsmoker
12-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Franklins rocks (and Aaron is just a super young man). If you were to spend the rest of the next day just in Lockhart, you've done yourself proud.

For those of you not from ROT, just remember Texas is a little larger than your average state.

Smiter Q
12-22-2011, 01:43 AM
Looking forward to your update!

Boshizzle
02-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Smoke Signals will be publishing the account of my BBQ pilgrimage to Central Texas in the next issue. So, keep an eye out at the Smoke Signals link - http://www.smokesignalsmagazine.com/

Also, I am scheduled to be interviewed about the trip and some other BBQ topics on the February 21, 2012 edition of the BBQ Central Radio show too.