PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Injections, Rubs & Brines

SeriousQue
08-16-2011, 04:48 PM
We are stepping out and looking to use commercial products for our next contest. Is anyone willing to share what combinations of these different products they are using (Eg: Fab B + Bovine Bold = Brisket)?

Ryan Chester
08-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Kosmos Q beef injection w/ a combination of The Rub Co. Santa Maria Style and Original. Kosmos enhances the juiciness and beefy flavor of the brisket while those rubs are more on the savory side with flavor profiles that work very well with beef. Worth a walk just about every time.:becky:

The Virginian
08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
I am a big Dizzypig rubs fan. FOr brisket, Dizzypig Cowlick rub and Head Country bbq sauce. For chicken, Tsunamis spin and Blueshog. For pork, Dizzy Dust, and for ribs, heck take your choice, I like raging river.

Brett

boogiesnap
08-16-2011, 06:51 PM
cutting right to the chase there are ya?

for pork i used Kosmos injection. took 5th and 2nd and 20 something. i used SOW injection. i took 4th.

thats about the most help i can be cuz it's my only consistent category.

watch, now i'll tank it next comp.

HawgNationBBQ
08-16-2011, 07:04 PM
For Brisket I use a little hidden jewel, Dixie Meat Rub, Beef Rub: www.thebestmeatrub.com (http://www.thebestmeatrub.com/)

For Chicken I use Plowboys Yard bird

Jacks Old South for Pork and Ribs

SeriousQue
08-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Boogie, there is a lot of "beating around the smoker" that goes on around these parts. I thought WTH, I'll just ask!

boogiesnap
08-16-2011, 09:34 PM
not these parts my friend.

i, as others here, offered their best.

use it as you see fit.

pm sent brother.

JD McGee
08-16-2011, 09:35 PM
A couple of popular combinations are:

Kosmo's Beef and Pork Injections (http://kosmosq.com/store/)along with his Cow Cover rub (for brisket) and Dirty Bird rub (for pork).

Butcher BBQ Beef Injections (http://www.butcherbbq.com/#!injections) in combination with Plowboy's Bovine Bold rub (for brisket) and Yard Bird rub (for pork).

Good luck! :-P

Brewer
08-17-2011, 12:05 AM
How about Chicken JD - tell me what do you use on your chicken :becky:

Kosmos beef injection + Dixiedust + course ground pepper on Brisket.
Kosmos pork injection + The Slabs Kyle Style rub on Pork
.... Both are good combinations that I've seen do well in the past.

INmitch
08-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Kroger apple juice, Flavorite sugar, Morton salt, Lea Perrins worcestershire sauce.:thumb:........and yes I had to get the bottle out of the fridge to spell that.:rolleyes:

boogiesnap
08-17-2011, 08:28 AM
for brisket i'm liking butchers w/ prime dust and homebbq beef. for pork SOW and a modified patio dadio rub. for ribs home bbq. for chicken oakridge secret weapon marinated in a white sauce.

Smokin Mike
08-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Kroger apple juice, Flavorite sugar, Morton salt, Lea Perrins worcestershire sauce.:thumb:........and yes I had to get the bottle out of the fridge to spell that.:rolleyes:

:heh:

Brewer
08-18-2011, 12:02 AM
for brisket i'm liking butchers w/ prime dust and homebbq beef. for pork SOW and a modified patio dadio rub. for ribs home bbq. for chicken oakridge secret weapon marinated in a white sauce.

Marinated in white sauce - nice touch - what effect does that have on the skin? Curious, I've never tried it.. I can imagine the mayo base helping crisp the skin up for home chicken, but what does it do for comp chicken?

boogiesnap
08-18-2011, 07:49 AM
it ruins the skin.

the meat is marinaded skin removed.

it adds a richness to the meat while tenderizing slightly.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
08-18-2011, 08:21 AM
I love to share these secrets. I use 3Eyz rub on everything. Its that easy :-P

indianagriller
08-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Dang, all i have is Marsh apple juice... no wonder

kcmike
08-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Hey SeriousQue, we happen to sponsor 22 teams on the circuit. They mostly compete in KCBS events, but we do have a few teams who also compete in FBA, NCBS and SCBA sanctioned events. Over the past 10 months of contests, 17 of these teams have managed to amass a current total of 140 Top Ten awards, and that number continues to grow each weekend. Of these awards, 4 are GC's and 3 are RGC's...

To view our team results, click here (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtAmMIKiULHdHpCWFZNMHRLa0pDbERvMFVGM2l2a VE&hl=en_US).

So, while I can't tell you what each team uses specifically, I can tell you generally what is working for them...

Injections:
Our teams do very well with Kosmo's, Butcher's and FAB, along with a few who make up their own secret concoctions.

Brines:
A few use a brine on their chicken, but most do not.

Chicken Rub:

Secret Weapon
Game Bird & Chicken

Rib Rub:

Competition Beef & Pork
Secret Weapon
Game Bird & Chicken

Pork Rub:

Secret Weapon
Competition Beef & Pork
Game Bird & Chicken

Brisket Rub:

Competition Beef & Pork
Santa Maria

Hope this helps, and holler with any questions. :thumb:

Kosmo's Q
08-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I personally like Kosmo's Q...:wink: But I am a little bias.

JiveTurkey
08-18-2011, 02:25 PM
I just ordered some Kosmo's from ya a couple weeks back. Looking forward to trying it.