PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Smokin on the Bay, Tracys Landing, MD - Sept 3-4, 2011

Disconnect
08-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Since there was a thread about fewer roll calls, I thought I'd stick this one out there. 100% KCBS CBJ with lots of great teams signed up. (And we'll be there too. :becky:)

Kansas City BBQ Society sanctioned State Championship!

Competition BBQ on the Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay! Wrap-up the Summer of 2011 by joining in on the fun of the nationally sanctioned world-class BBQ competition and the enjoyment of a multitude of BBQ specialties in the lovely setting of Herrington Harbor North.

http://smokinonthebay.com/

Slamdunkpro
08-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I know they were having trouble getting teams and were running around BelAir soliciting. Did they fill up yet?

Disconnect
08-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Were they soliciting in Bel Air too? We saw them in Easton, they didn't have enough teams going in but got a bunch of signups. (It will be our first comp, so I picked it instead of Bel Air because of the lack of heavy hitters on the list. They promptly signed up several of the big ones, doh!)

The list off the website:
Texas Ribs (Centreville, MD)
JD's Smokin' Misfits (Fredericksburg, VA)
Pigs Wings and other Things (Indian Head, MD)
Saucy Butts BBQ (Annapolis, MD)
Chix, Swine, & Bovine (Jessup, MD)
3 EYZ BBQ (Owings Mills, MD)
Big Stogie Smokers (Upper Marlboro, MD)
Walk The Swine (Easton, MD)
Black Cat BBQ (Severna Park, MD)
SeaDog BBQ (Odenton, MD)
Buckshot BBQ (Waldorf, MD)
Old Town BBQ (Huntingtown, MD)
Sweet Butt BBQ (Annapolis, MD)
C'n Dis BBQ (Bowie, MD) <-- That's us :)
Pepper Monkey BBQ (Shadyside, MD)
HamBones By The Fire (Yorktown, VA)
Porkers in Paradise (Abingdon, MD)
Serial Griller (Yorktown, VA)
Bootsies Bubba BBQ (Edgewater, MD)

Bunch of great teams, we've met several of them walking around the last two events. Not sure I wanted to compete against them on our first cook though :becky:

Big Ugly's BBQ
08-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Don't sweat it, we all have been in that same boat. just start paddling........

First time teams seem to do well at first contests.

BBQ&Beyond
08-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Sending in my registration tom, so I will see you all there.

Slamdunkpro
08-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Jack's Old South will be there

Disconnect
08-16-2011, 07:50 PM

Aww jeeze Edith, I didn't need to know that! :-D

I'm not that worried about it, we'll do the best we can and get the scores we get. It'd be nice to have a ribbon to take home but even if we come in DAL we've had fun getting ramped up and next year is another set of chances :becky:

Slamdunkpro
08-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Come by, introduce yourself and say hi.

5-0 BBQ
08-16-2011, 09:14 PM
We will be there. But we will not be competing as 5-0 BBQ .

For this event we will be Johnny Rogers BBQ Boys. I will be competing with my friend Jonathan Jones. You guys should know Jonathan as the event organizer from the Beltway BBQ Showdown. I built Jonathan's new pit and I have talked him out of competition retirement. :bounce:

Bigfoot21075
08-17-2011, 04:36 AM

This is going to be a fun event!:clap2: It is neat to have a chance to go head to head with the greats in the game.

Big Ugly's BBQ
08-17-2011, 08:22 AM
I ain't skeered, lets have a good time!!

bdodd444
08-17-2011, 09:06 AM
I ain't skeered, lets have a good time!!

After Bel Aire, I would think not!

ALX
08-17-2011, 11:12 AM
It was mentioned to us at BEL AIR that COOL SMOKE will be their as well...Not positive though....

Heck of a field though in a beautiful area....

Kit R
08-17-2011, 01:29 PM
I may be there in a support capacity with a team that is doing their first competititon. Depends on how my Saturday goes.

Slamdunkpro
08-17-2011, 03:34 PM
I may be there in a support capacity with a team that is doing their first competititon. Depends on how my Saturday goes.
So THAT'S why you want to use my cooker that weekend!:-P

Disconnect
08-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Weird question, but since its our first comp I'm not sure how this usually works. Does anyone know what the surface is for the larger plots? (Grass/gravel/concrete/etc) And tie-downs.. They said something about the water/power being there for boats that winter over, so I'm concerned that we'll be trying to hold down a tent on bare concrete out over the water.. that could be difficult. (Not impossible, we're getting literally dozens of 5gal plastic buckets to fill with water.. but..)

Any advice from the brethren? We're keeping it somewhat simple (a 20x10 and a camping tent) but if it gets windy it could be a real adventure..

Mike - CSBBBQ
08-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Weird question, but since its our first comp I'm not sure how this usually works. Does anyone know what the surface is for the larger plots? (Grass/gravel/concrete/etc) And tie-downs.. They said something about the water/power being there for boats that winter over, so I'm concerned that we'll be trying to hold down a tent on bare concrete out over the water.. that could be difficult. (Not impossible, we're getting literally dozens of 5gal plastic buckets to fill with water.. but..)

Any advice from the brethren? We're keeping it somewhat simple (a 20x10 and a camping tent) but if it gets windy it could be a real adventure..

Don't know if pavement or grass. Buckets with ratchet straps does a good job. You can also use your coolers, smoker (if large enough), or vehicle. There will be lots of pop-ups. Some folks also use cinder blocks with a nut and bolt to the leg of the pop-up. If grass you can pick up tie downs that twist into the ground at hardware stores and some dollar stores. The ones used to leash dogs will work. See you there :-D

Disconnect
08-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Yah, doubly worried now - just found out our dozens of buckets aren't available. (They were from a restaurant kitchen, things like pineapple slices and such - our supplier is no longer at that restaurant.. doh..) Sounds like cinderblocks and grass stakes are going on the packing list :)

Thanks!

Big Ugly's BBQ
08-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Cinderblocks, $2 ea at HD or Lowes, make great tiedowns, just lash them with some rope. And if they dont make it home, its not a real $$ loss. If you have a trailer, they make good wheel chocks also, and a decent table to sit the beverage of choice on.

Its all about multi-tasking.............

Big Ugly's BBQ
08-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Some folks also use cinder blocks with a nut and bolt to the leg of the pop-up.

Gee, I wonder where they got that idea...............................:rockon:

Slamdunkpro
08-22-2011, 03:16 PM
If grass you can pick up tie downs that twist into the ground at hardware stores and some dollar stores. The ones used to leash dogs will work. See you there :-D

Unless the ground is like concrete like it's been around here at Bluemont and Cumberland - I don't think i could have gotten my ground screws in with a jack hammer at either of those events - had to use tent spikes. (carry both - they're small and inexpensive)

Disconnect
08-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Since I'm a computer guy, I had to check our modern almanac (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KNAK/1972/9/3/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=4&monthend=9&yearend=1972&req_city=Tracys+Landing&req_state=MD&req_statename=Maryland):
The Average High Temperature is 81 F. The Average Low Temperature is 69 F. There is a 6% chance of a Hot Day (temperature over 90F / 32C).
There is a 24% chance of a Precipitation Day. Average Cloud Cover is mostly sunny.
The Average Wind is 5 mph with a historical range of 1 mph to 9 mph. There is a 0% chance of a Windy Day (average wind over 10 mph / 15km/h).

And at the end of the day.. all those stats mean just one thing: Its gonna be 102 and raining sideways so bad we're gonna be cooking -in- the bay to stay dry.. :becky:

ALX
08-23-2011, 11:40 AM
This works well for us and is simple/cheap....

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt85/69alex/fire008-1.jpg

Disconnect
08-23-2011, 01:18 PM
But will it hold in an earthquake (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/usc0005ild.html)? :)

(We're fine, far enough that we just got some wicked rocking and rolling. And I may not see the kittens again for a few hours.. Fortunately there was nothing cooking ;) And if it happens again, I can use the new handles on the UDS to run it to safety.)

Big Ugly's BBQ
08-23-2011, 01:24 PM
We had it up here also, the quake was centered in Louisa, Va, about 4 miles from Small Country Campground, where Que and Cruz is held.

Slamdunkpro
08-23-2011, 01:33 PM
We had it up here also, the quake was centered in Louisa, Va, about 4 miles from Small Country Campground, where Que and Cruz is held.
Bill have Churizo and eggs for lunch again?:heh:

Big Ugly's BBQ
08-23-2011, 01:39 PM
just got a text, he and family are ok. Kinda busy with FD runs right now.

Slamdunkpro
08-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Since I'm a computer guy, I had to check our modern almanac (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KNAK/1972/9/3/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=4&monthend=9&yearend=1972&req_city=Tracys+Landing&req_state=MD&req_statename=Maryland):

And at the end of the day.. all those stats mean just one thing: Its gonna be 102 and raining sideways so bad we're gonna be cooking -in- the bay to stay dry.. :becky:

Long range forecast isn't looking very dry.

Disconnect
08-25-2011, 10:07 AM
We already cancelled this weekend's full practice. (Hopefully I'll at least get time to do part of it next week. Haven't gotten consistency on the UDS yet :shock: and my times are all wildly different from the old cookers.) It'll be an adventure at least :becky:

ALX
09-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Were they soliciting in Bel Air too? We saw them in Easton, they didn't have enough teams going in but got a bunch of signups. (It will be our first comp, so I picked it instead of Bel Air because of the lack of heavy hitters on the list. They promptly signed up several of the big ones, doh!)

The list off the website:
Texas Ribs (Centreville, MD)
JD's Smokin' Misfits (Fredericksburg, VA)
Pigs Wings and other Things (Indian Head, MD)
Saucy Butts BBQ (Annapolis, MD)
Chix, Swine, & Bovine (Jessup, MD)
3 EYZ BBQ (Owings Mills, MD)
Big Stogie Smokers (Upper Marlboro, MD)
Walk The Swine (Easton, MD)
Black Cat BBQ (Severna Park, MD)
SeaDog BBQ (Odenton, MD)
Buckshot BBQ (Waldorf, MD)
Old Town BBQ (Huntingtown, MD)
Sweet Butt BBQ (Annapolis, MD)
C'n Dis BBQ (Bowie, MD) <-- That's us :)
Pepper Monkey BBQ (Shadyside, MD)
HamBones By The Fire (Yorktown, VA)
Porkers in Paradise (Abingdon, MD)
Serial Griller (Yorktown, VA)
Bootsies Bubba BBQ (Edgewater, MD)

Bunch of great teams, we've met several of them walking around the last two events. Not sure I wanted to compete against them on our first cook though :becky:

40 teams now and counting....