PDA

View Full Version : Richmond, Va

lcbateman3
08-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Headed to Richmond Va from 8/23 - 8/26 for some training. During the day I am pretty tied up but from 4:30PM until I am free. So whats some good dining places up in the area?

Gore
08-14-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm hoping to find out myself. I've been driving through there a couple times a month at lunchtime. Last time I tried Buz and Neds. I thought it was ok. I think the pork sammie was good, but the beef ribs were not and it was very expensive. It is very popular. Also tried King's BBQ in Petersburg, another extremely popular place. It is VERY mustard based, too much for my liking, but others might enjoy. I heard the fried chicken was very good there, but did not go back for it. There's a new place advertised with a freeway exit sign just north of Petersburg that I tried. It was not good at all.

lcbateman3
08-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Thinking we are going to try out Q tonight. Let ya know how it is.

gtsum
08-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Buz and Neds is popular, and the pork is alright, but the brisket is not good at all...they must slice it with a slicer it is so thin (like deli meat thin). I was not impressed at all. Grandpa Eddies out on Parham is popular also..we went there for a birthday party and my wife's comment was "this is horrific" - brisket was sliced deli meat thin, pork was bland...not impressed at all. The only place I have been to that was worth anything was Q's bbq off of route 60 (midlothian Turnpike by Sams Club). Tuffy stone is the owner (the same Tuffy who was on BBQ pitmasters). he is a competition cook and his restaurant is cool...the pork and brisket was much better here then any other place I have tried in Richmond...although that being said, I expected much better (likely the difference in mass produced que at a restaurant vs backyard or comp que).

Gore
08-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Well Lionel, I'm hoping it was really good and you're still eating it. Any report?

Boshizzle
08-26-2011, 11:51 PM
I've eaten at Buz and Neds and Q BBQ. Out of the two, I prefer Q BBQ. Buz and Neds charges extra for sauce; actually a lot extra for sauce and, unfortunately, I felt that the Q there needed some help from it. Q BBQ is a bit more traditional in that sauce is on the table and you don't have to pay $2.00 for a thimble (it seemed to me) full of sauce. Plus, Q BBQ will sell you some of Tuffy Stone's great BBQ rub at a good price if you talk to the manager. The slaw at Q BBQ is a bit on the tangy side and wasn't my favorite but the beef, chicken, pork and ribs are pretty good. The chicken at Q BBQ is only served pulled but it is cooked in a competition style meaning that it's braised in butter and then pulled. It's very moist and flavorful. The ribs are pretty good too. I usually buy an extra rack to bring home and reheat the next couple of days for lunch and/or dinner.

BTW - If you like a NC style BBQ with a great mustard based sauce track down a Bill's BBQ. Bill's BBQ has been in Richmond forever. There are several of those around Richmond. They only sell chopped pork sandwiches but they are pretty good and the sauce is very unique in that it is a kind of a cross between a vinegar and mustard based sauce. I would love to have one of Bill's BBQ pork sandwiches right now as a matter of fact.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, Bill's BBQ serves the sauce in salt shakers on the tables. It's wierd but interesting at the same time. Give them a try before you leave town. They make a pretty good BBQ sammy. Make sure you get slaw on it too.

Gore
08-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks, I'll give Q BBQ and Bill's a shot on my next drives through town.

Gore
09-22-2011, 07:45 PM
I tried Q BBQ today. I must say it is the best place I've eaten in the area. The only problem is that it is a bit out of the way, well, quite a bit. I was told they're opening up a new location just off I-95 by the end of the year (hopefully). I just had the pulled pork sandwich and it was really nice. I also enjoyed all the sauces. The greens were too sour for me even though I was told they were sweet and not sour, but I'm sensitive to that. In any case, I'm really looking forward to the new location opening closer to my route.

lcbateman3
09-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. I have a complete write up with pictures, but well, I'm having issues.

Glad you got a chance to go by there Gore. I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. I had the hush puppies and the mac and cheese as sides. Looking forward to stopping by again sometime soon.