PDA

View Full Version : COMP Sauce, typical or unusual

Smokenstein & monster crew
08-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I am still trying to figure this stuff out...:crazy:
My question is for kcbs judging, are they looking for the typical usual blah blah blah, or unusual, very unusual so it stands from the masses.
I know sweet with a little heat...or whatever you may have heard

But when Bobby Flay does the throwdown show, he always tweeks the recipes for what he's cooking to stand out & usually loses because its not true say "BBQ", " or "southern", etc etc

So What gives ????
usual or unusual or totally nutso

08-14-2011, 07:01 PM
wow, must be a secret...:icon_shy

Sledneck
08-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Doctored usual

boogiesnap
08-14-2011, 07:12 PM
well, it is a secret to alot of people. :becky:

but i would say, usual(for "us").

for now, it's all about what you mix with your BHO/TR mix.

but then again, maybe ask Mike from Lakeside what the judges are liking these days:shock:

then, let the meat shine, perfectly cooked.

i'm no pro or expert, but i think most would say stay "usual", again for "us".

usual for the average BBQ eater might be just KC Masterpeice, which won't cut it in battle i don't think...or know:roll:even mixed up with some nice stuff.

boogiesnap
08-14-2011, 07:13 PM
or, um, more simply, what sled said.

Sledneck
08-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Lots of budda

MilitantSquatter
08-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Lots of budda

Can you please post your full recipe ? :pray:

Southern Home Boy
08-14-2011, 07:40 PM
I would be careful of doing anything too far outside the box.

Speaking from experience, when you're trying to judge a bunch of ribs set in front of you, when something is way out of whack, it throws you off. Yes, it makes you stop and think about the entry, but the initial reaction is, "Whoa... what the heck is that??"

Some judges may take that as a sign of a good and inventive cook. But just as many or possibly more will look at it as the cook doesn't know what they're doing.

When I cook, I make the best KC-Style sauce I can and keep the heat to a minimum in my rubs. That way, I don't offend anyone or shake them up at the judges table.

Sledneck
08-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Can you please post your full recipe ? :pray:

Chicken: slabs sauce and budda and agave syrup
Ribs: bh then finish with amazing glaze, budda in the wrap
Pork: bh bhtr and budda
Brisket: aujoos and steak sauce and budda

boogiesnap
08-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Lots of budda

nice!

boogiesnap
08-14-2011, 08:20 PM
butter makes it better.

words to live by.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Sweet baby rays works well for us, also we have been doing pretty wellin brisket with a au jus KC masterpiece mixture. This is what these people eat. Feed them what they know.

jbrink01
08-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Normal stuff. Just find the rub / sauce combo that works.

Hub
08-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Winning requires tantalizing the tastebuds of lots of judges and that means cooking for a broad range of tastes. You might call that "usual" but I wouldn't. What makes a judge notice something is how unique it is, yes. But, you have to get to "unique" with great balance of flavors and appeal, not just one factor. The two biggest errors I see in competition are over-saucing and over-smoking. Both are way too common.

Smoke flavor is wonderful but if overdone can make meat taste like its been soaked in petroleum. Similarly, there are lots of great sauces out there (commercial and concocted) but judges will score down if all they taste is the sauce.

The consistently top-scoring teams have developed a blend of flavors combined with perfected texture and optimal appearance that they can re-create over and over. They aren't cooking for their own tastes, they're cooking for wide appeal.

NS Mike D
08-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Sweet baby rays works well for us, also we have been doing pretty wellin brisket with a au jus KC masterpiece mixture. This is what these people eat. Feed them what they know.

just two cents from a backyard guy, IMO, sweet baby rays let's the rub stand out while delivering quality appearance and texture.

08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Ive almost ried every sauce i can think of...style
must find the most appealling usual to funkify
i think kc/sbr/some world harbors are good....
ill just keep playing & oh yeah BUDDA

boogiesnap
08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
3 others that i like for comp(can't say i've used them, but they fit the bill, i think)outside of BH

tasty licks secret sauce
meat mitch's womp(might have a touch too much cumin for me though)
and funnibones sweet something or other found at whole foods.

Sledneck
08-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I love the budweiser BBQ sauce

boogiesnap
08-15-2011, 03:59 PM
that is actually quite good. forgot about that one.