PDA

View Full Version : Taking kiddos to the their first beach experience in NC!

chefdad
08-13-2011, 06:53 PM
We are planning a trip to the beach in North Carolina and would like to stop at a few BBQ joints on the way. We were thinking about stopping in Lexington and Goldsboro, NC. Any suggestions on where to go? I would like to stop at Wilber's barbecue. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Chef Jim
08-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Lexington BBQ

Johnny_Crunch
08-13-2011, 07:10 PM
My kiddos love the beach, wish I was going with you. Can't help with your search but have a great time! :thumb:

chefdad
08-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Do you know what Lexington BBQ is like on the weekends? We will be on the road on a Saturday. Hopefully they are not closed before we get there.

MoBettaQ
08-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Wilburs in Goldsboro is an institution. There aren't so many pit-cooked joints these days.

Just remember to bring up "Mr. Ed" with the kids - Wiiiiiillllllbur! It'll last a lifetime! :o)

JMSetzler
08-13-2011, 11:00 PM
+1 on Lexington BBQ. My favorite by far in NC. Which beach are you going to?

chefdad
08-14-2011, 09:16 AM
It depends on where we can find baby sea turtles hatching? The kids are very excited to see them hatch and go to the ocean. We may go to Holden beach.

Diver
08-16-2011, 09:32 AM
2 good suggestions. Lexington for Western NC style and Wilbers for REAL BBQ - Eastern NC style. :becky:

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_map.html

chicagokp
08-16-2011, 09:46 AM
There are several other choices in Nashville/Rocky Mount/Wilson area.

I remember going to Doug Sauls as a kid in RM. Looks like his son opened a place in Nashville. We'd hit Parker's in Wilson and maybe Gardner's in RM. I'm sure you can find other Brethren recommendations. I haven't been back to the area for several year.

Also, we really like Georges Hot BBQ Sauce which is vinegar base. It's from Nashville. So, hit up some local grocery stores along the way. I love picking up local stuff and bringing it home on vacation.

lcbateman3
08-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Wilburs for sure in Goldsboro....or swing by my house ;)

chefdad
08-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Sounds good! Thanks for all of the info.

lola
08-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Lexington and Wilburs are both great choices as you travel east. Can't go wrong with either. Great local joint on the road to the Jacksonville airport if you go to that beach area. As for turtles, they are hatching now, but this weekend Irene may wash many of them away. We are doing our best to protect them as we have 20 nests yet to hatch. Check us out on www.seaturtle.org

lola-area coordinator Emerald Isle Sea Turtle Protection Program