PDA

View Full Version : Generator Question

Dex
08-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Looking at a Honda eu2000i..... will it run my FEC-100, a couple table top steam tables, a small fan, radio, and some lights?

big brother smoke
08-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Yes, it can run my RV without using the AC, so you should be good to go. You may want to do the wattage math though.

Ford
08-12-2011, 02:19 PM
elec steam tables can draw a fair amount. Add up the wattages.

Redheart
08-12-2011, 04:07 PM
W=V*A
Wattage = voltage times amperage
We know the wattage is 2K
and the voltage is or should be 110/120
this means
2000 = 120(A)
or
A = 2000/120
AMP = 16.6

So you cannot have more than 16.6 amps at peak. Usually peak is 10 to 20% more than continual service rating.

Add up the wattage or the amperage of what you want to put on the generator at one time. If it is less than the rating you are fine.

Remember that cordage also increases the amperage draw.

As Sean Connery says in "The Name of the Rose",
"So endeth the lesson."

Dex
08-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Anyone know anything about Generac Generators? I picked this one up because it was only $399.... but I haven't even taken it out of the box.

I know its not going to be as quiet as the Hondas..... but its a little easier on the wallet!

Trucky1008
08-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Like Ford said the steam table pans will draw the most. The one's I have are 1200 watts, so they can eat up 10 amps each.

Redheart
08-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Anyone know anything about Generac Generators? I picked this one up because it was only $399.... but I haven't even taken it out of the box.

I know its not going to be as quiet as the Hondas..... but its a little easier on the wallet!

Having owned both here is my input.

Generac's are not just louder than the Honda E series, they are LOUDER!. You need them in a bunker to quiet them down. If you plan on using them at an event or to power a trailer they will probably exceed the allowable db. of the sound ordinance.
If it is for emergency or construction use you will be O.K., but may present problems camping, vending or at events.

This was written from my experiences. If you want a quiet generator you need to get an electronic inverter style, like the Honda E series. There are several other companies that make them though I cannot attest to the quality.

AUradar
08-15-2011, 10:11 AM
W=V*A

So you cannot have more than 16.6 amps at peak. Usually peak is 10 to 20% more than continual service rating.

very important in choosing generators. Some generators quote their peak wattage and others quote their running wattage. You want to make sure you do the math using the running wattage.

also, if it has a heating element its going to suck the power.

Dex
08-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Ok, so my single table top steam table list on the back 1200 watts. However, I only have it set at 2 on the dial or maybe 3 at max. Does it still draw 1200 watts when it is that low?

EDIT:

Ok so I went ahead and made a list of what all I would run to see if a 2000 W generator would work. Here is what I come up with.

FEC-100
Provided Information: 5 Amps, 120 V
Calculated Informiation: 600 Watts

Steam table
Provided Information: 120 V, 1200 Watts... again, 1200 MAX with dial set at highest setting? I usually use 2 or 3 on the dial.
Calculated Information: 10 Amps ..... if calculated using the full 1200 Watts

Lighting - I use 3 thin 21" fluorescent lights that are linked together. I assume info is PER light.
Provided Information: 120 V, 16 Watts
Calculated Information: .133 Amps

Radio
Provided Information: 120 V, 250 W
Calculated Information: 2.1 Amps

Your thoughts?

Yakfishingfool
08-15-2011, 11:46 AM
you sound over...by and amp or two, get the 3k.

PitRow
08-15-2011, 11:57 AM
The continuous duty rating of the eu2000i is only 1600 watts, so you're over by more than a few watts. At least at the ratings you give above.

The way to be sure would be to get a watt meter, and plug everything into it using your house power and see exactly how many watts you're using.

Something like this...
Amazon.com: Kill a Watt Meter: Everything Else@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314Xry08unL.@@AMEPARAM@@314Xry08unL (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JHGY2Q/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=pitrowpro-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B001JHGY2Q)

Dex
08-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Any response to my question about the 1200 Watts on the steam table if it is on a low setting? Thanks for the link on the Watt Meter.... Ill pick me up one.

AUradar
08-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Any response to my question about the 1200 Watts on the steam table if it is on a low setting? Thanks for the link on the Watt Meter.... Ill pick me up one.

typically the way they limited the voltage in things like that is to run them through a potiementer (or reostat for larger draws). This creates a voltage divider using resisters. Problem here is when you turn it down, you don't change the input power, you just heat up a resistor to disspate that power you don't want. Its not like a propane regulator where you limit the flow of gas.

So no, you wouldn't change the draw when only running on "2".

The only way to really lower the temp and draw at the same time is to use a PWM and I doubt you have that on your system. Not unless you have electronic control on it.

Dex
08-15-2011, 01:28 PM
So a 2400 watt generator would do it then? Im looking at this Yamaha as well

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelspecs/475/0/specs.aspx

AUradar
08-15-2011, 02:55 PM
So a 2400 watt generator would do it then? Im looking at this Yamaha as well

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelspecs/475/0/specs.aspx

thats a 2000 watt generator.

again, run wattage and max wattage are not the same thing. You need to caculate for run wattage.

Keep in mind that different companies "size" their generators based on running and peak. So one company may rate that generator as 2400, another would rate it as 2000. Both are valid, but I think rating them as the peak power is very misleading.

based on your numbers, you need 17.233 run time amps. That generator is going to be maxed out, if it works. I would look for something bigger.

Dex
08-15-2011, 03:26 PM
thats a 2000 watt generator.

again, run wattage and max wattage are not the same thing. You need to caculate for run wattage.

Keep in mind that different companies "size" their generators based on running and peak. So one company may rate that generator as 2400, another would rate it as 2000. Both are valid, but I think rating them as the peak power is very misleading.

based on your numbers, you need 17.233 run time amps. That generator is going to be maxed out, if it works. I would look for something bigger.

If I took the above mentioned radio out of the picture, the Honda eu2000i would work then? Or is the 15 amps drawn alone from the steam table and smoker already more than ideal?

Rookie'48
08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
I'd go for the EU3000i or get two of the EU2000i units & the parallel kit. Remember, you're just starting out here and you will end up with more toys. Why have to buy a bigger unit later? Just my 2 cents worth.

Redheart
08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
If I took the above mentioned radio out of the picture, the Honda eu2000i would work then? Or is the 15 amps drawn alone from the steam table and smoker already more than ideal?

Dex,

Lets look at this from a slightly different angle.

You are planning a offsite cook with your FEC. You figure you will 1lb of pellets for the cook. Will you only bring 1 lb of pellets with you, or will you bring a little extra?

Purchase a larger generator than your present needs. This will cover you for any math errors or lil' things you may have forgotten like cell phone chargers etc. It will also allow you to expand a little in the future without having to go through another capital purchase.

Trucky1008
08-15-2011, 08:43 PM
FEC-100
Provided Information: 5 Amps, 120 V
Calculated Informiation: 600 Watts

I could be wrong but I believe the FEC only draws 5 amps when the ignitor first starts, and needs 1 amp to run the controller board after initial start up.

jbrink01
08-15-2011, 10:20 PM
My 2000w Honda runs my FEC500 fine. I do bring my one of my Honda 3000's for comps so I can run my 100 and all the other stuff. The 3000 is quieter.

Dex
08-16-2011, 05:55 AM
I could be wrong but I believe the FEC only draws 5 amps when the ignitor first starts, and needs 1 amp to run the controller board after initial start up.

I will have to look into this. If this is the case, I should be ok because I dont start my steam table up until later.

AUradar
08-16-2011, 08:41 AM

I really have no idea here, never seen this smoker. But I do have to question this simply from what their website says:

The FEC100 runs at 5 amps @ 120 VAC, which means pennies per hour operating cost.

In my experience if theres a significant power draw during a start up period and normal running time, it usually says so. But again, I've never seen this smoker (don't want to get into an aurgrument). What you said makes perfect since. Its something to confirm though before buying a generator and finding out its undersized.

From what you (OP) are saying, you really ought to move up to the 3000W generators. You want plenty of head room. And you will be adding more draw as you go along.

If you decide to go two hondas in parrel, then maybe you could start with one and see how it works. But I wouldn't buy the 2000W unless you are planning to buy two of them.

thats just my humble opinion. And its based on the fact its your money, not mine

Redheart
08-16-2011, 08:50 AM
its based on the fact its your money, not mine
Amen to that!

Dex
08-16-2011, 12:05 PM

This is right. I called Bill at Cookshack and spoke with him about it. It's 5A at initial startup when the fire is getting started. After that, the fan and auger is the only thing running and he said it would be less than 1 amp and probably only a couple hundered watts.... if that.

I think I am going to start with the eu2000i, then add another one as needed down the road. This will be a little easier on the pocket book to start with :redface:

The Cosmic Pig
08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Sorry, was going to post about the FEC continuous draw, but somehow I missed the middle of the thread...
But while I have your attention -and on a related topic - has anyone had any problem with the Honda gens sine wave when powering the FEC? Thanks!

AUradar
08-16-2011, 12:53 PM
This is right. I called Bill at Cookshack and spoke with him about it. It's 5A at initial startup when the fire is getting started. After that, the fan and auger is the only thing running and he said it would be less than 1 amp and probably only a couple hundered watts.... if that.

I think I am going to start with the eu2000i, then add another one as needed down the road. This will be a little easier on the pocket book to start with :redface:

that changes things then. Good to call in a check. Like I said, no experience on this unit and what trucky said sounded very plausable. But usually if theres that big of a difference in power draws the manufacturer will say that in the manual. Diffently worth checking out before spending the money you are going to be spending.

Hank Daddy's Barbecue
08-20-2011, 12:04 PM
This may be a bumb question, but I have to ask...I have an 8000w Briggs and Stratton Elite genny. This thing is a workhorse, but it's loud.

I only ever use the 30Amp Twist circuit and never pop the fuse. Question is, is the 8000w too much? If I get a generator with a 30Amp twist circuit, will it handle my load, or does it have something to do with the 8000w I'm running.

I'm not much of an electrical guy, so I'd appreciate your help bigtime.

The Cosmic Pig
08-20-2011, 05:20 PM
I have to say I have never heard of a "twist" circuit, but I have worked in electricity all my life. What is that exactly? Otherwise, since you've never "popped" the fuse, your usage is less than 3600 watts (current x voltage = watts). You should be fine with a generator that is half the size of what you're using now. The 8000w is just its capability, not how much it's actually powering. I hope this helps!

Redheart
08-21-2011, 08:57 AM
I have to say I have never heard of a "twist" circuit, but I have worked in electricity all my life. What is that exactly?

I think he is referring to a 30amp Twist-Lock jack and plug.

Dex
08-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Just an update guys... I bought the eu2000i. Man this thing is awesome. I do plan to purchase another one probably in the next couple of months when I need to get another steam table.

The Cosmic Pig
08-21-2011, 02:02 PM
I think he is referring to a 30amp Twist-Lock jack and plug.

Gotcha! Thanks! :thumb:

wyocurt
08-22-2011, 04:09 PM
I had a 2000 and finally got the 3000

GrandMasterQ
08-23-2011, 06:00 AM
I have one of these for backup home use. Have not used it much but it is quiet and inexpensive. Seems to get good reviews. 3500 watts. The current Cabelas sale flyer has them with the optional wheel kit (I highly recommend) and cover for about $300.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Champion-3500-Watt-Generator/746396.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dgenerator%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHea der%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=generator&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

WaywardSon
08-28-2011, 07:21 AM
FWIW...I run my concession trailer off of a Honda 6500 inverter generator & have never had any problems with the electronics on my FEC 100

You can always start the FEC 100 by hand to avoid using the ignitor, if using it would max your generator out. It's quick and easy...and the unit draws very little power once it's running.

The Cosmic Pig
08-30-2011, 10:30 PM
You can always start the FEC 100 by hand to avoid using the ignitor, if using it would max your generator out. It's quick and easy...and the unit draws very little power once it's running.[/QUOTE]

Do you just turn it on and set the temp and run time and not have to hit "start," or does it sense the temp in the pot when you hit start and not fire the igniter? I've never really considered doing it this way, but I can see where it would be beneficial to know how! Thanks!