PDA

View Full Version : Knoxville, TN BBQ Joints?

Chris_R
08-12-2011, 02:53 AM
So I'm headed to Knoxville for 6 weeks starting Monday. I ran a search on here and didnt see any results for my question, which of course is....where can I get good Q in the Ville?

I just saw the Man V Food episode tonight where he went to that Sweet P's place which I may give a try, but what else is in and around town?

I'll be staying at the Air Guard base at Tyson Mcghee airport, so if you know any places close to there that would be awesome!

Thanks

TN_BBQ
08-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Sweet P's is pretty close to where you'll be staying and I've heard good things about them.

Also check out Dead End BBQ. Pretty good story about some friends that started out as backyarders before winning a few competitions and then opening a BBQ restaurant.
Dead End BBQ
3621 SUTHERLAND AVE
KNOXVILLE, TN 37919

Another place to check out is in a town south of the airport in Maryville
Full Service BBQ
113 South Washington St
MARYVILLE, TN

M&M Catering is only open Wed-Sunday. There place is small, but you should have seen their first building a few years ago. When they would pull the ice chests out, they would double their floor space.
1039 Summerwood Dr (just off Middlebrook Pike)
Knoxville 37923
865 692 1003

You do know that the Bristol race is coming up, right? That's only about 100 miles up the road. The big race is Saturday night and it'll be crowded however, there is a nice mid-week truck race on Wednesday Aug 24th.

Lastly, there is a KCBS cookoff on Sept 9th in Cookeville, TN. That's about 60 miles west of Knoxville, FWIW.

And there's a bit of college football around here too. Even if you aren't a football fan, at the very least you ought to head to Neyland stadium on Friday or Saturday to check out the Vol Navy. Pretty easy to meet some friendly folks that are tailgating down there.