PDA

View Full Version : meat for far away contests??

boogiesnap
08-11-2011, 05:29 PM
just wondering with all the jack talk;

what do teams do about meat for a contest thousands of miles away?

buy local? freeze? a freind overnight ship once the team has arrived?

seems like a major obstacle, but haven't seen discussion.

Sledneck
08-11-2011, 05:46 PM
When I drove down to the jack I put all my meats unfrozen packed in ice in my big cooler tues morning. The stayed in ther till fri afternoon meat inspection and were just fine. When I flew out to the gab I brought my ribs in my carry n bag and bought the redt of the meat out there

boogiesnap
08-11-2011, 06:32 PM
thanks sled.

i can see brisket and butt being AOK in a cooler for 4 or 5 days as they are in the fridge.

but, ribs and chicken seem risky. did you have a back-up supplier just in case?

Alexa RnQ
08-11-2011, 06:33 PM
We've taken everything to the Jack with us but chicken, and bought that at a nearby Costco.

WhiskeyBentBBQ
08-11-2011, 08:53 PM
We have always took everything iced down well. We always check the chicken and have a back up plan but we have never had a problem with any of them. Just make sure you stay iced down good and they can go 4-5 days. That is our experience.

jbrink01
08-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Put the FROZEN chicken in ice with everything else. It takes quite a while to thaw when buried in ice.

bmanMA
08-12-2011, 11:08 AM
When I drove down to the jack I put all my meats unfrozen packed in ice in my big cooler tues morning. The stayed in ther till fri afternoon meat inspection and were just fine. When I flew out to the gab I brought my ribs in my carry n bag and bought the redt of the meat out there

Ha, would have loved to see the TSA agent's face when dem bones came across the xray!