PDA

View Full Version : Franklin BBQ

ushi
08-11-2011, 04:56 PM
I think I have ranted about this in another thread, but to all those making the Central TX BBQ trip... for the love of god, add Franklin BBQ to your stops.

http://franklinbarbecue.com/
It is a fairly new place, started in a trailer and recently moved to a brick and mortar. The brisket is transcendent. The owner is really nice and asks which parts of the brisket you prefer (well know we have our favorite parts) and is more than happy to oblige. (this is what I like about blacks over smittys and kruez, you are kind of a the mercy of the meat chopping brigade at the latter two places, where at blacks you can always have a nice chat with whoever is cutting the meat). It's a bit more pricey than some of the Q joints, but not by that much. and totally worth it. Now onto the brisket analysis.

He uses pretty high quality beef, (prob why it's a few more $ a pound compared to lockhart joints) and you can taste that immediately. not in a necessarily "THIS BEEF IS SUPERIOR THAN YOUR PACKER FROM HEB YOU PHILISTINE" but it has a nice deep beefy flavor. It's different in a nice way. Like most tx bbq places he uses oak and / or mesquite. He uses a butcher paper method of some sorts on the brisket... which results a ridiculously moist and tender interior. The texture was dead on. All those connective tissues were rendered nicely without turning it into pulled beef. It held its juice through the entire sitting. (I notice this is a common let down at Q joints, either the brisket is sliced super thin and dries out before you are halfway done, or sometimes even the thick slices just dry out after a few minutes) I don't think the butcher paper method yields as crispy a bark as the lockhart hot and fast methods.... but I think it yields a much more consistent product. I've been served up some dry brisket and smitty and kruez more often than I would have liked. (a real let down when I hype the place for my yankee / not bbq enlightened friends, and it's an off day). That being said when a brisket is "on" in lockhart, it is quite good. When the crispy bark, fat and moist meat come together it's an incredible thing. Sorry to digress... anyways ... The brisket in a nutshell - beefy, moist, great texture, nice smoke flavor. Every time I've had it, it competes with all the other central TX faves on their best days.

Suffice to say, it's up there with all the other big names, and it's like 5 blocks from downtown austin, there's no reason not to go. I will warn you, gotta get there early especially on the weekend. Back when it was a trailer, people would wait in line in the sleet and hail, from like 930 am on. It can get ridiculous. I've been able to sneak in lately after lunch rush on weekdays and they will still have brisket. They do offer other meats - pulled pork, ribs, turkey, sausage. I normally just grab brisket and run... so I can't really speak for the others. They have a couple sauces, both are vinegary, but one is espresso infused or something, it goes nicely with the brisket, but you don't realllly need it. I think last time I mentioned franklin, I bombed a thread with a link to a super hi rez pic. I have resized said pic to give you an idea of what you might get there.

---k---
08-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Last time I was in Austin for business, I went to Franklin's two days in a row and waited an hour in line both times. His brisket totally changed my thinking about Brisket. Mind Blowing Amazing.

I've posted about Franklin's here in the past, including a great video review / interview of it on Chow.com. This is my current favorite commentary on Franklin's:
Hitler Doesn't Get Franklins BBQ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZx6kGs7pg)

His ribs and pulled pork are really good too. And, the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He came around and talked to me while we were eating. I later emailed him asking if he was willing to share any tips with me as I geared up to do my first brisket and he responded (KISS, S&P only, Cook ~250* - 260*, Use Oak, wrap in paper when done is his method).

ushi
08-11-2011, 07:36 PM
oh man that was hilarious

MilitantSquatter
08-11-2011, 08:06 PM
That is a killer looking brisket !!!

Gore
08-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Great review, great video, absolutely killer brisket ... I should post that pic on my smoker for inspiration.