PDA

View Full Version : Kcbs CBJ taking it to far??

quarters69
08-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I have to tell you what I saw this weekend in a comp. A CBJ was walking around Friday night and came upon a team that was prepping there comp meat. They were in the process of injecting and seasoning there meat. The CBJ walked up and was watching them for a short time, then he stuck his DIRTY FINGER in there injection and tasted it!!!! Am I taking this the wrong way, but wtf!! I couldn't believe it. The team that it happened to was so surprised they didn't now what to say or do. Then he just casually walked away. Following the awards the next day he had the nerve to come by and want to see our score sheets. I couldn't do it. So surprised at this. Let me know what you think. I think someone like that should never be allowed to be a judge again, maybe I'm being to harsh but WOW!!

deguerre
08-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Seems like he violated a very big sanitary rule which should have been reported, I would think.

Just Pulin' Pork
08-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I will be interested in hearing what others have to say. I would have taken the judge aside and talked to him. Although he falls into the category of a complete stranger, as a KCBS judge they should know better. Also, because they came back after awards and inquired about scores, I would have reported the whole thing to the contest rep and make them aware of what happened.

EatonHoggBBQ
08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
:puke: :puke::puke:

bover
08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Those actions go beyond unprofessional. It's just plain weird. The judge definitely needs a talking-to either from the parties he offended or from the contest rep. Not acceptable.

CallMeThree
08-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Are you sure he was a CBJ? (like with a badge, and all)

hamiltont
08-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Next time you're at a social picnic/BBQ/potluck watch the people serving the food. Over half lick their fingers & go right back to serving. Makes me sick!! This guy should know better for sure...

ThomEmery
08-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Who cares if he is a CBJ or not
a fool is a fool
Worse with a little plastic badge

quarters69
08-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Are you sure he was a CBJ? (like with a badge, and all)

Yes I'm sure. He didn't have his badge on Friday but he did Saturday when he came back. Plus I've seen him b 4.

ique
08-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Come near my prep area uninvited like that and you better check that you still have all of your fingers.

Vince RnQ
08-11-2011, 03:41 PM
The unsolicited "taste" is appalling and I agree with what Chris just said. I would not recommend ever doing that to any team at any time.

As for asking to see the team's score sheet, that CBJ should be reported to KCBS for those actions.

HarleyGirl14226
08-11-2011, 03:56 PM
All I can say is WOW. They should def. be reported.

mfreeman73
08-11-2011, 04:00 PM
That's definitely over the line for a CBJ. Wearing the badge allows you to show up, eat some food, hand in some scores, and that's it. It doesn't give you the right to mess with anyone's stuff (in fact, they're supposed to stay out of the competitor's camp sites before the judging) and it doesn't entitle you to see anyone's scores.

If you see this person doing it again, try to get their name and then tell the rep.

quarters69
08-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Come near my prep area uninvited like that and you better check that you still have all of your fingers.

Agreed 1000%

riblette
08-11-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure I'd report this...the KCBS BOD solution may be to ban injections. :wink:

gmholler
08-11-2011, 04:11 PM
What difference does it make if he was a CBJ or not - or for that matter, whether his finger was dirty or clean? What he did was just plain RUDE. Didn't your Momma slap your fingers when you tried to sample the cookie dough she was making? I'd think the average person would've learned to keep their hands to themselves...

Lynn H.

Sledneck
08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
I would of punched him

Hub
08-11-2011, 04:17 PM
I would have gotten this idiot and the Rep together for a little tete-a-tete (that's French for mano-e-mano) and explained the facts of life. If he didn't understand them after that it wouldn't be my fault!

Nordy
08-11-2011, 05:16 PM
That's just nuts....

He'd probably have been wearing the remainder of my injection...

AND - Even if he used a clean spoon, how can a CBJ (or anyone) think it's OK to go around "taste testing" during cooking... In what world would that be acceptable?

Nordy

G$
08-11-2011, 06:58 PM
I would of punched him

That's ridiculous.

The correct answer is "I would have punched him."

G$
08-11-2011, 07:00 PM
And for the record, our injection needles are far sharper than our knives. Seriously dangerous to be sticking a finger anywhere near them.

mikerobes
08-11-2011, 07:01 PM
not good, judge or not,

boogiesnap
08-11-2011, 07:07 PM
That's ridiculous.

The correct answer is "I would have punched him."

maybe in AZ.

proper gramatics would be "i would have HAD punched him"

northeast it's much straighter to the "punch"...i would of. :-P

mobow
08-11-2011, 07:18 PM
and he didn't critique it for you or anything. lol. I would have said something that I would not be able to share on a family friendly forum. keith

Muzzlebrake
08-11-2011, 07:33 PM
maybe in AZ.

proper gramatics would be "i would have HAD punched him"

northeast it's much straighter to the "punch"...i would of. :-P

actually think its more like "Ida punched 'em"

Sledneck
08-11-2011, 08:07 PM
I break a u face

Jeffp
08-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Not good. I don't care if he is a CBJ, spectator or the competition organizer, keep your hands out of my business. I'm not good enough to have secrets but that doesn't mean I want someone poking around in what I'm doing. It's gross, rude and disrespectful. I agree he should be refererred to KCBS.

Contracted Cookers
08-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I have to tell you what I saw this weekend in a comp. A CBJ was walking around Friday night and came upon a team that was prepping there comp meat. They were in the process of injecting and seasoning there meat. The CBJ walked up and was watching them for a short time, then he stuck his DIRTY FINGER in there injection and tasted it!!!! Am I taking this the wrong way, but wtf!! I couldn't believe it. The team that it happened to was so surprised they didn't now what to say or do. Then he just casually walked away. Following the awards the next day he had the nerve to come by and want to see our score sheets. I couldn't do it. So surprised at this. Let me know what you think. I think someone like that should never be allowed to be a judge again, maybe I'm being to harsh but WOW!!
happens all of time just joking probably would have to bitch smack him

Bentley
08-11-2011, 10:06 PM
The CBJ walked up and was watching them for a short time, then he stuck his DIRTY FINGER in there injection and tasted it!!!! The team that it happened to was so surprised they didn't now what to say or do.

I will be interested in hearing what others have to say. I would have taken the judge aside and talked to him.

You guys are nice...Definitly sounds like he needed to be Pimp Slapped...

Rookie'48
08-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Here's my two cents worth:

First this jackass has no bussiness walking into anyone's spot without an invite.
Second he at least should have been wearing the remainder of the injection.
He should have been reported to the on site Rep at once.
When he asked to see the score sheet he should have been reported again.

Jerks like this need to have their judge's number taken down and reported to the Rep and then in a letter to the Board of Directors. This idiot should at the least be banned from future compitions for a period of, oh say, 250 years!

Just think what any of us would do if this had happened in our back yard cooking area - this arse hole would have had some serious bodily injuries to worry about!

big brother smoke
08-12-2011, 12:23 AM

This!

That farker would have gotten the look from me and maybe a swift kick in the arse. :twisted:

Sawdustguy
08-12-2011, 06:32 AM
I would of punched him

Or broke the finger he took the taste with.

smokeyw
08-12-2011, 06:51 AM
Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid :tsk:

Warthog
08-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Being a judge I find what this guy did appalling. If I were the team this happened to I would have gone directly to the contest rep and reported it. I am friendly with several teams in my area that compete. I would never consider touching anything nor taste anything without it being offered. This so called judge sounds like a complete ass. He should lose his judging credentials at the least. IMHO

TooSaucedToPork
08-12-2011, 07:33 AM

Yup, and I believe he is undeserving of the baby powder. Just a pimp hand across the kisser, or in this dudes case...the taster:heh:

Iamarealbigdog
08-12-2011, 08:32 AM
:crazy:

Guess you should be happy he did not just skip the finger and go in with a direct lick at the injection point... Some guys just get too excited...:tsk:

Cheers from the big dog...

Arlin_MacRae
08-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Here's my two cents worth:

First this jackass has no bussiness walking into anyone's spot without an invite.
Second he at least should have been wearing the remainder of the injection.
He should have been reported to the on site Rep at once.
When he asked to see the score sheet he should have been reported again.

Jerks like this need to have their judge's number taken down and reported to the Rep and then in a letter to the Board of Directors. This idiot should at the least be banned from future compitions for a period of, oh say, 250 years!

Just think what any of us would do if this had happened in our back yard cooking area - this arse hole would have had some serious bodily injuries to worry about!

I think I would have given him some to taste for later, then grabbed someone from the other team and gone straight to the contest rep. Wow.

Jeff_in_KC
08-12-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure I'd report this...the KCBS BOD solution may be to ban injections. :wink:

:clap2: :thumb: :eusa_clap :lol: :clap:

SaucyWench
08-12-2011, 06:41 PM
This is so wrong, and the kind of thing that gives us judges a bad name! He should have been reported as soon as it was discovered that he was a CBJ, and for my own safety, I would like to know who it was so I can stay away from comps where he will be.

I judged this comp, and may I just say: ewwww yuck ptewie!!!

QansasjayhawQ
08-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Yeah - definitely very bad news, judge or not. That's just plain unsanitary and definitely should have been reported to the contest rep - the person may have done similar things with other team's items. Very, very bad and should not be tolerated. At all.

quarters69
08-13-2011, 07:37 PM
We should of reported it. I know that now. But at the time, everybody was caught by surprise.

Q-Stream
08-13-2011, 08:03 PM
If you know that judges name, at least let the contest organizer know what happened, as well as KCBS. I would hope at the very least you will never see that judge at that contest again, ever.

Laird

ABS Pit Boss, BWS, Hasty Bake
KCBS Master CBJ, Certified Table Captain

Boshizzle
08-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Wow, what a nut. He sounds more like a stalker than a BBQ judge. There is no excuse for his actions at all.

Most of the people I know that judge KCBS are great folks with good manners. Every once in a while though there is a weirdo that crawls out of the wood work.

FltEng
08-14-2011, 11:53 AM
I don't think it is too late to report the incident--report it. As, a judge I would never even think of entering site without being invited in let alone what this F#$$@! did.

smoke-n-my-i's
08-15-2011, 10:47 AM
That's definitely over the line for a CBJ. Wearing the badge allows you to show up, eat some food, hand in some scores, and that's it. It doesn't give you the right to mess with anyone's stuff (in fact, they're supposed to stay out of the competitor's camp sites before the judging) and it doesn't entitle you to see anyone's scores.

If you see this person doing it again, try to get their name and then tell the rep.

as a CBJ, and or CTC, they are allowed to mingle Friday, but I agree, not into an uninvited team area. And definitely that was a NONO.... report it. We/they are able to mingle up to judging check in time, then it is a NO time to mingle. Then we/they can mingle after judging.... and we are not allowed to report anything that went on in the judging area.... so, wanting to look at the scores sheets in my opinion fall into that category.... report it.

I (as a table captain) this past weekend has a judge lick his fingers after taking out a rib, I caught him and politely told him "no pre-tasting"....he got the hint, nodded his head, and then wiped his fingers on a wet paper towel. Everything was good after that. Overall, I had a GREAT group of 6 judges at my table....

Again, I would report it.... and next time, punch him/her in the face, grab them by the nap of the neck, and drag them to the rep AND organizer. Demand that they be removed from the premises if nothing else.

Mo-Dave
08-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Next time you're at a social picnic/BBQ/potluck watch the people serving the food. Over half lick their fingers & go right back to serving. Makes me sick!! This guy should know better for sure...

Heck I have seen this in kitchens I have worked in also as a customer in restaurants and it is a big big no no in my book. People just don't think.
Dave

5-0 BBQ
08-15-2011, 04:00 PM
I hope the injection had some raw meat juice in it from injecting and he gets the runs.