PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Station Set Up

tipper
08-11-2011, 10:56 AM
I will be entering my first competition next month. I will be doing a practice round this weekend and i am trying to figure out the best way to set up my cleaning station. From what i have read, I will be setting up three tubs (wash, rinse, and sanitize) on a 6' table and air dry on towels. I will have to bring hot water in a 5 gallon drink cooler. Will this be enough to get me through a competiton? Do all the cleaning tubs have to have hot water in them (is this a rule)? I have read a lot of threads from people talking about having a lot of hot water. What else would i need hot water for besides the cleaning? Thanks

Sauced!
08-11-2011, 11:45 AM
We just use a utility sink that we bring and hook it up to the water at the event. no hot water. Just wash and rinse in the utility sink then put the dishes in a wash bucket to dry.

NS Mike D
08-11-2011, 11:50 AM
BSA method is wash is cold, rinse is warm and sanitize is hot

KCBS (from their website) is all can be cold but sanitize needs bleach

mobow
08-11-2011, 12:01 PM
go disposable for as much as possible. about the only thing i have to wash is my knives.

nthole
08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
We use 3 bus tubs. The can carry other stuff when needed and they store pretty well.

tipper
08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
The bus tubs are a good idea along with trying to go disposable. I have read a lot of different threads and so many people are talking about having hot water access i started to worry that i wouldn't have enough hot water to make it through the competition

Harbormaster
08-11-2011, 12:43 PM
We use three bus tubs on a small table, and we take a turkey fryer to heat water and store it in a Rubbermaid drink cooler.

Pretty much all we need to wash is knives and utensils. Maybe Friday night dinner dishes.

The bus tubs are also handy for other uses during the weekend too.

CMALANGA
08-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't know what sanctioning body you are competing under..sorry if I missed that, but KCBS doesn't require hot water. You are required to have a was, rinse, and sanitizing bin, bucket, whatever, and you're supposed to have bleach for the sanitizing station. Personally I don't let items air dry (except my cutting boards)because I don't have lot of room. I use paper towels and wipe down the items to restore them.

HarleyGirl14226
08-11-2011, 01:08 PM
We go with the three wash tubs, and also use a collapsible 5-gallon container for a hand wash station. If we're lucky - the sun is out and the water coming out of the hose is hot/warm when I'm filling it. :-P

Alexa RnQ
08-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Are you just competing, or doing vending/people's choice as well? At many venues here, if the public will be tasting your food then the local HD comes in with their own specifications, such as disposable towels only for handwash station, etc.

Bleach tabs are your friend -- cheap, easy to carry, easy to dispense. And the HD loves to see the test strips that go with them, also small and easy to carry.

Lastly, how much hot water you'll need depends on what you're doing at the contest. If you're serving/entertaining along with making contest entries, that ups the volume of dirty dishes considerably. Your cook process figures in too -- we have evolved ours to rely heavily on disposables and one-use items. I collect the one-use things in a fullpan, and it all goes into the empty garnish cooler at the end of Saturday, to get carried home for a wash.

tipper
08-11-2011, 02:41 PM
We are just competing (KCBS) so people's choice will not be an issue. I will have to look into the bleach tablets. Thanks

boogiesnap
08-11-2011, 06:24 PM
this probably won't apply to you, BUT, for future reference, it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to wash lipids(meat fat)in cold water.

i.e the northeast in april.

but in the summer, ambient temp is plenty for me to get everything nice and shiny clean.

Smoke'n Ice
08-11-2011, 07:46 PM
To the best of my knowledge, in the more than ten years that I have been competing, I have only once been asked about my method of cleaning. It was in Rio Rancho and I produced the sanitizer solution from Sams in a spray bottle. I do not, nor have I ever had, three seperate tubs. If they are ever an Issue, I just get out three aluminum pans and show them. Most Items are throw away and those that are not, are washed and sanitized and allowed to air dry (THE ONLY WAY SANITIZERS WORK) and then reused. All BBQ items come home and go thru the dish machine after a contest regardless of their state of cleanliness ((sp) never could, just an engineer)).

boogiesnap
08-11-2011, 07:51 PM
To the best of my knowledge, in the more than ten years that I have been competing, I have only once been asked about my method of cleaning. It was in Rio Rancho and I produced the sanitizer solution from Sams in a spray bottle. I do not, nor have I ever had, three seperate tubs. If they are ever an Issue, I just get out three aluminum pans and show them. Most Items are throw away and those that are not, are washed and sanitized and allowed to air dry (THE ONLY WAY SANITIZERS WORK) and then reused. All BBQ items come home and go thru the dish machine after a contest regardless of their state of cleanliness ((sp) never could, just an engineer)).

i dig it. but how do you wash/sanitize without the "tubs"?

Smoke'n Ice
08-11-2011, 09:36 PM
rinse with a hose, wash using a bucket of suds, rinse with a hose, spray with sani and air dry. There is almost always a water source.

Sylvie
08-11-2011, 10:40 PM
I use three bus tubs for washing. To heat water I use a large coffee pot. The Igloo water container with a spout is good for water storage and can serve as a handwashing station. For grey water storage, I use one of those open plastic bins used at parties to chill soft drinks and beers. It is placed under the Igloo handwashing station to collect the dirty water runoff and to pour dirty dish water prior to taking to grey water waste station.

To minimize dirty containers I rely on using cheap plastic bags to line the pans and even to cover the tables. When soiled just throw away and do a quick rinse/wipe of pan/table. I also use aluminum foil to line pans used on hot meats. Makes cleanup easier.

Matt_A
08-11-2011, 10:54 PM
If you are serving the food to the public here in Cleveland County, Oklahoma, HD requires three tubs: warm wash, warm rinse, hot sanitize. The wash basins must be large enough to immerse your largest cooking pot over 1/2 way so that you can do a single flip in sanitize and cover 100% of the surface area of the pot. Separate hand wash station, disposable towels. Also have to have some form of ground cover in your cooking area to keep dust and dirt down.

CBQ
08-11-2011, 11:44 PM
I heat up water with one of these:
Amazon.com: Max Burton Mr. Max Table Top Burner (Black): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41p0DrgVD-L.@@AMEPARAM@@41p0DrgVD-L (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-Table-Burner-Black/dp/B000G6S8Y8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1313120469&sr=8-9)

and store in an insulated carafe until I need it.

swamprb
08-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Coleman On Demand water heater, 3 bus tubs (wash rinse sanitize) Red & Green gallon wash/bleach pails, 5 gallon Cambro or Igloo with free flow spigot, 5 gal bucket under, hand sanitizer and rubber gloves, keep the HD happy.

I also use Pan Saver transport liners for full & half s/s pans for marinating & injecting, plastic table runner for seasoning meats and Cut and Toss disposable cutting boards.
These 3 items are worth every dime spent not cleaning and just tossing in the trash-especially during turn ins!

Stoke&Smoke
08-12-2011, 09:33 AM
We used to use the turkey fryer option mentioned previously. Worked but a tad dangerous when moving a 30 qt pot full of boiling water. We have the Coleman now as well.

Rules say...(KCBS)
17)d. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with
the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of
water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.

So you do need 3 containers of some kind. We use the bus tubs, then repurpose them to hold gear to and from. About all we go home with that isn't clean any more is a cutting board, knives, and maybe a couple of brushes. I just wrap it all up inside a trash bag, and wash at home.

NS Mike D
08-12-2011, 12:28 PM
We used to use the turkey fryer option mentioned previously. Worked but a tad dangerous when moving a 30 qt pot full of boiling water. We have the Coleman now as well.

Rules say...(KCBS)
17)d. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with
the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of
water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.

So you do need 3 containers of some kind. We use the bus tubs, then repurpose them to hold gear to and from. About all we go home with that isn't clean any more is a cutting board, knives, and maybe a couple of brushes. I just wrap it all up inside a trash bag, and wash at home.

Sorry for bringing up scouts again, but these guys have been doing it for a century - and right up their alley.

Add a spigot to the bottom of pot (or buy one with a spigot),

the pot never moves and you can keep it out of the way.

The water also can be used for French press coffee, hot chocolate, ramen noodles etc.

Stoke&Smoke
08-12-2011, 01:02 PM
I understand and that may work for some. However the coleman water heater takes up less space (about 50% or more) than the turkey fryer and it's burner do, so I'll still stick with the Coleman

swamprb
08-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Go to this link:
http://www.pnwba.com/
click on the RULES link
then click the PDF file for Instruction for Cooks
and at the bottom of the page it shows the HD approved Wash Station setup.