PDA

View Full Version : Brisket for contest question

Two Bears
08-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I have been smoking a lot of full sized brisket getting ready for a contest. And wonder if just smoking flats would be better. This way they are trimmed, all of very similar size so the cuts would be uniform.
Cook times should be shorter as well.

What have you guys done and go with for contests, flats or packers?

Diver
08-10-2011, 01:05 PM
I generally cook 2 trimmed full packers for a KCBS contest.

Whitfield
08-10-2011, 01:17 PM
I've never heard of anyone doing just the flat for a comp. I'm sure someone that has plenty of comp experience will chime in soon.

Hot Sauce Hoss
08-10-2011, 01:44 PM
There was a thread on this a couple weeks ago, but i can't
find it. :shock: Seemed like alot of brethren were saying how they
only did flats and getting calls. I wonder if they are buying
whole briskets and seperating them or know were to order
big flats from the getgo.

Hot Sauce Hoss

Alan in Ga
08-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I have never used just flats just packers but Idont see why it wouldnt work

Fatback Joe
08-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Packers, but I have done flats in the past when I couldn't find anything else. Smaller margin for error in the cooking IMO and no burnt ends to turn in.

If you find flats you like, then go for it.

Brewer
08-10-2011, 02:57 PM
We cook 2 full packers 14lb-16lb trimmed out per comp. I've never had good luck with flats only. We use the point meat on our full packers for chunks and/or burnt ends depending on how they look.

AUBBQ
08-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I’ve cooked flats at home, but for a comp I cook 2 packers. You need a packer to get burnt ends and for some reason one brisket (even when prepared the exact same way) always turns out a little better than the other one.

Chef Jim
08-10-2011, 03:31 PM
What they all said.

btcg
08-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Posted a few pics over the last 2 years of flats I've done, yet achieved the beautiful red/pink internal color @ 195 (the Holy Grail of brisket, IMO). Did it on a Weber Silver, no less.

It can be done.

But it takes a lot of attention, and time. If you've got a good support group of fellow cookers that know what they're doing and can cook the other meats, I'd say go for it. If not, do a whole packer.

Q-Dat
08-10-2011, 07:13 PM
I remember hearing once that Rod Gray does flats, but since that wasn't Rod Gray that I heard that from, take it with a spoon of salt.

Tone
08-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Done both packers and flats. Had much better results with packers. Best slices of flat seem to be in the area where flat and point connect.

big matt
08-10-2011, 07:46 PM
I have been smoking a lot of full sized brisket getting ready for a contest. And wonder if just smoking flats would be better. This way they are trimmed, all of very similar size so the cuts would be uniform.
Cook times should be shorter as well.

What have you guys done and go with for contests, flats or packers?
My reasoning behind cooking whole packers as opposed to just flats is that the layer of fat between the point and flat helps keep the flat moist..just be sure to pull your slices from that area..just my opinoin

redneck cooker
08-10-2011, 08:06 PM
In Texas I cook one CAB flat (5-6lbs)at each event, been doing it for over 5 yrs now, and getting great call and winning alot, Now in KCBS, I use a super timmed packer (7-9LB), at each event. The only reason I ues a packer there is for the burnt ends....and we have good luck with them...

Brewer
08-10-2011, 11:38 PM
My reasoning behind cooking whole packers as opposed to just flats is that the layer of fat between the point and flat helps keep the flat moist..just be sure to pull your slices from that area..just my opinoin

Totally agree - when you get that middle-of-the-flat cooked perfectly it's truly amazing.

Hub
08-11-2011, 05:47 AM
I think its a whole lot easier to cook a packer. On the few occasions I've used just a flat it was a lot touchier. Maybe the "bulk" of the meat helps.

Two Bears
08-12-2011, 02:09 PM
I can see that it would be a bit more touchier to get right and also during a come with all the other meats to cook it would be a good idea to just do the whole packer.

thanks