PDA

View Full Version : Is winning enough?

Plowboy
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Is being the Grand Champion of a competition enough or...

Does it have to be sanctioned?
Does it have to be a qualifier?
Does it have to have enough money?
Does it have to have electricity?
Does it have to have the right number of teams?
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"?
Does it have enough potential TOY points?
Does it have to be a World Championship? (It is all marketing until you win one. - Myron Mixon)

My first two grand championships were small non-sanctioned fair type contests. Was far, far from being the Jack, the Royal, or MIM. As GC, I won my entry fee back. And we liked it!!!

Is winning enough for you?

Coz
08-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Somedays its not even bought winning as it is about being away from work ,home shop etc. Winning is great and being able to pay a few bilss is nice sometimes also. We compete in a couple contests where you wont win enuff back to pay the entry but they are usually some of the better events we go to. Kinda swore off non sanctioned deals after not getting scores at a couple and being told we were not welcome at another. Not to say there are not good ones out there .

mobow
08-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Being new and not having won yet I can only guess but i think yes. Actually just doing well is pretty sweet. As for sanctioned or not I think a win is a win. I enjoy seein the " good teams" at a contest. To do well aginst the teams with a proven record is rewarding to me even if they beat me I find satisfaction in being able to run close. But, all that said just to get it all turned in is good also..keith

parrdist
08-09-2011, 04:51 PM
A win anywhere is a win. But there are different wins, the bigger the contest the more weight the win carries. Kind of like winning Daytona or the Indy 500 carries more prestige than other races.

WineMaster
08-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Never won a GC, only competed once so far. With your help I got a call in Pork.
Get to do my next contest this week and cant wait. Swine Assassins are in the event and I would be tickled if I could beat them in even 1 category. They seem to be hitting on all 8 right now. Thats the kinda thing that keeps me excited.

huminie
08-09-2011, 04:54 PM
I think it all depends on your goals, and those can change over time. At the heart of it all you have to have fun and enjoy it, otherwise you would be better off staying home. But this is "competitive" for a reason. You should always be striving to do better than you did before.

Winning a GC in an amateur contest is a great way to start, but it will likely drive you to try your hand at going "pro". To start you will want to just get all your entries in on time an not be DAL. From there you will want to end up middle of the pack...then top half...then top 10...then an RGC...then your GC.

You will want to improve your ranking and start to see how you do against the "good" teams, and try and start beating them too. You will want to be seen as a team to beat by other teams.

Then you will want to get out to the big contests. Along the way you will want to earn enough money to make your hobby/obsession as affordable as possible so you can do it more and justify the expense.

After doing well at the big contests you will want to just go back to having fun and realize that that was what it was all about from the beginning.

Yakfishingfool
08-09-2011, 04:58 PM
OH NO!!!! Winning without having the fun of cue's your daddy conversations or sheep jokes from Blazing butts or a hug from Julie at Swamp pit or any of the hundred other things that occur personally at a comp is a hollow win. Fun to win, no doubt, more fun to be there and compete. Just my two cents....

Jeff_in_KC
08-09-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm not completely positive I understand your question, Todd but I think with the cost involved in competing anymore, you have to at least hope for some good payouts. I can't cook without winning cash - which makes it pretty difficult to do! LOL! I prefer sanctioned events because you know exactly what to expect wherever you go. Qualifiers? Well, since one of my last goals in BBQ is to just make it to The Jack, I'd say yes, I'd want it to be a qualifier. We have MORE than accomplished what we only dreamed we could do in competition BBQ... except for cooking in Lynchburg! Last year, TOY points mattered to us. This year and the five years prior to last year, not at all.

Plowboy
08-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Good stuff. Keep it coming.

monty3777
08-09-2011, 05:17 PM
I've won 2 reserves. One sanctioned, one non-sanctioned. Made the same amount of $$$ at both and loved every minute of each of them. I'll be honest, if I do get a GC I want it to be at a sanctioned contest, and I want it to be at a qualifier. In my mind the goal is an invite to the American Royal - and I want to earn the bragging rights that belong to recognized champions. And as a quailifier I would love to be part of the event that is the Jack draw. Those are my two comp dreams. Money never enters my mind - until I don't win any :)

Theresa B
08-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Huminie- you are dead on. Happens in a lot of sports and organized social type groups.

Harbormaster
08-09-2011, 05:28 PM
We are a small time competition team. if we hear our team name called (other than when they hand out turn in boxes) we had a successful contest.

Last year at Princeton we got called in 3 meats. I walked around with a silly ass smile on my face for a week.

I might as well have been GC.

Contracted Cookers
08-09-2011, 05:48 PM
just trying to hit some of are personal goals . and being around some of the best people out there.

riblette
08-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I think it all depends on your goals, and those can change over time. At the heart of it all you have to have fun and enjoy it, otherwise you would be better off staying home. But this is "competitive" for a reason. You should always be striving to do better than you did before.

Winning a GC in an amateur contest is a great way to start, but it will likely drive you to try your hand at going "pro". To start you will want to just get all your entries in on time an not be DAL. From there you will want to end up middle of the pack...then top half...then top 10...then an RGC...then your GC.

You will want to improve your ranking and start to see how you do against the "good" teams, and try and start beating them too. You will want to be seen as a team to beat by other teams.

Then you will want to get out to the big contests. Along the way you will want to earn enough money to make your hobby/obsession as affordable as possible so you can do it more and justify the expense.

After doing well at the big contests you will want to just go back to having fun and realize that that was what it was all about from the beginning.

Dude, there are an awful lot of "you"s in that assessment. Which "you" are you refering to? Plowboy? Me? All of us? Or, maybe you are speaking for yourself, in which case, "I want" may be a little more accurate :wink:

Speaking for myself, I'm happiest when I've had fun, learned a little bit, and when the entire team is successful. For KCBS we split the 4 meats between two of us cooks - I won't be totally satisfied until we've all turned in something we're happy with and we've all had a good time...win or not.

We've never won a GC in a sanctioned contest...we plan to shut the competitive part of the operation down if and when we ever do.

Lake Dogs
08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Does it have to be sanctioned? Yes, for the most part
Does it have to be a qualifier? No
Does it have to have enough money? Makes it worthwhile...
Does it have to have electricity? No
Does it have to have the right number of teams? Yes
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"? Yes
Does it have enough potential TOY points? No
Does it have to be a World Championship? (It is all marketing until you win one. - Myron Mixon) No

I've yet to GC, but RGC'd now 3 times (we only compete 3 comps per year). Like said earlier, more than anything else, it's the walk.

nthole
08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
I couldn't win a GC if the comp was in my backyard, I was the only cook and my family were the judges. Farkin' judges. :grin:

In my mind ANY win is a good win. If I was only doing this for the wins I wouldn't be doing this.

INmitch
08-09-2011, 06:12 PM
I've got a couple GC's this year. I think the most satisfying thing is knowing that after all the time & work I've put into it I'm finally at a point that on given day's (not many) I can keep up with the big boys that I have and still look up to. (Yes Todd your one of them) But the fun and friends is still what brings me back week after week.

Now I got to get off the puter n start prepping chicken, sauces & rubs so I can try and beat that Plowboy guy in Indy this weekend!!:becky:

worthsmokin
08-09-2011, 06:21 PM
We go to be competitive. I love the thrill of the competition and since I can't play pro ball I sure can eat good BBQ. My goal every comp is to hear our name and hopefully pay for my gas. If we can get our whole comp + paid it makes the drive home that much sweeter.

Since we are fairly new to competing I hope that we get into comps with good organization. I have only been to one contest with poor organization and I will see most of you their in March :-P

Electricity doesn't mean much to me. I love how organizers brag that the electric supply is to code. We don't want that they should say these are not GFI'D and you can run an electric tank without any problems.

We are in the Invitational to the Royal, and that is a dream. I would love to get into the Jack this year. Hell we may never win another contest so please pick us to go down to Lynchburg 2011.

I never thought we would try for TOY but maybe one of these years, hopefully sooner than later. To me that would be the Ultimate Win!!!

huminie
08-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Dude, there are an awful lot of "you"s in that assessment. Which "you" are you refering to? Plowboy? Me? All of us? Or, maybe you are speaking for yourself, in which case, "I want" may be a little more accurate :wink:

Speaking for myself, I'm happiest when I've had fun, learned a little bit, and when the entire team is successful. For KCBS we split the 4 meats between two of us cooks - I won't be totally satisfied until we've all turned in something we're happy with and we've all had a good time...win or not.

We've never won a GC in a sanctioned contest...we plan to shut the competitive part of the operation down if and when we ever do.

Not referring to anyone in particular, just competitive BBQers in general. It won't apply to everyone, but some will apply to most. It certainly doesn't all apply to any one person, myself included.

Brew-B-Q
08-09-2011, 06:42 PM
I just won my first GC and it was in a non-sanctioned event, but it did have the same four meats. I sure enjoyed it, but I have to be honest with myself and admit it wasn't the same feeling as I anticipate getting when I win one that gets me in the Jack draw, Royal invite, etc. I normally only do sanctioned contests, but thought the one I just competed in was a great time to get familiar with my new smoker. It was nice to win, nice to make some cash, and nice to hang out with some new friends in a less serious atmosphere.

rolfejr
08-09-2011, 06:48 PM
My first big comp this weekend (Bel Air BBq Bash) and I could not be more excited. I have studied, practiced, and prepared to be the best that I can be. I don't expect to win, but I have prepared my team to be competitive.

I hope to cook well, have fun, and learn how to compete better at the next one.

I also hope I don't set the canopy on fire!:-D

Disconnect
08-09-2011, 07:04 PM
My first big comp this weekend (Bel Air BBq Bash) and I could not be more excited. I have studied, practiced, and prepared to be the best that I can be. I don't expect to win, but I have prepared my team to be competitive.

I hope to cook well, have fun, and learn how to compete better at the next one.

I also hope I don't set the canopy on fire!:-D

Took the words right out of my mouth. (Especially that last part!) Ours is 2 weeks later (Smokin on the Bay) but we'll be stopping by MD BBQ at least Saturday if not Fri. Maybe I'll tag you after the awards and see if you still agree with all that :becky:

PimpSmoke
08-09-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't give a chit if I win a GC. If I get calls, I am giggling like a freakin' idiot. Why, because I paid for everything. I got no sponsors to answer to , I got not past titles to defend. I did it by myself on my own (with my team, which is my wife), and hearing my name called is better than any cash amount any day.

There's a lot to be said for pony'in up 5 to 8 hundy to do a comp and hearing your name. Nothing better.

Oh, and the company doesn't hurt any either.

WYCQC!!!??? VS. SMOKEPIMPS!!!???

Plowboy
08-09-2011, 07:26 PM

You just summarized my 11 years in comp BBQ. Nice. :thumb:

I won't do non-sanctioned events anymore. Not because I'm above it, but because I don't want to be "that guy". The one that has won the American Royal and a bunch of GC's and RGC's who walks into the backyard to compete. Not that I'm a better cook, but the perception will be that I THINK I'm better than everyone else and am trying to bottom feed for some cash, or whatever. I've learned that people can have whatever perception of you they want... if you let them

As for cash, I love and need to bring home some money to keep my hobby going. However, I don't pick contests based on total purse. I did it once and got nothing. Actually, I avoid knowing what a contest is paying out. Knowing the payouts is like a personal jinx.

However, I know teams that pick contests based on who is there, who is not there, how much it is paying, if it is a qualifier or not, what are the odds to the Jack, how many teams it has, etc... Can't say I haven't thought about most or all of these at one point or the other, and I don't think those are bad things to consider depending on what your goals are. But at one point, none of this was on my radar. It was just to win, whatever that means: GC, category, top 10, top 25%, top half, better than my last contest.

Was just thinking about the old days and thought I'd toss the topic out. Have enjoyed the responses.

JD McGee
08-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Is being the Grand Champion of a competition enough? Yep!

Does it have to be sanctioned? Nope
Does it have to be a qualifier? Nope
Does it have to have enough money? Nope
Does it have to have electricity? Nope
Does it have to have the right number of teams? Nope
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"? Nope
Does it have enough potential TOY points? Nope
Does it have to be a World Championship? Nope

Scottie
08-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Wins, trophies, ribbons and cash are all overated....

I do it for the chicks.

Rich Parker
08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
My only goal going in to a comp is that i am happy with what i put in the box. If I am happy than the judges HAVE to be happy. :mrgreen:

Plowboy
08-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Wins, trophies, ribbons and cash are all overated....

I do it for the chicks.

Glad to see you still have goals. Someday, buddy. Someday.

Cash, grass, or ass...

jbrink01
08-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Our first GC came pretty quickly. 6th contest (blind squirrel and acorn theory). We actually got at least 1 call in every one of the first 14 contests we did. All sanctioned. We then started to cater and lost touch with contest BBQ. We would cook 2 or 3 a year and maybe get a call, so i set out this year to prove to myself that I could hold my own against the best out there and get to the Royal invitational (which i didn't cook after my first invite). We are invited for 2011 and having a pretty good year. May quit after this year, because to me it would mean going out knowing I was capable of competing at the highest level.

Although, I have rediscovered the fun of it, so a bigger more family friendly camper is more likely than quitting.

stan
08-09-2011, 08:56 PM
For me winning is great but right now it is not everything. This is my first year on my own and I am trying to have fun, learn, meet new people and hopefully win some money (which I have been lucky enough to do so far this year). Do I want a GC you bet, does it matter what contest, no! If you golf like me infrequently you just hope that you can have one good hole and somedays it is one fantastic shot that keeps you going and wanting to come back. For me getting a call is like that one great shot in a round. It keeps you coming back. But it might be that new friendship you made or the fun time you had with your family. This is my hobby not my job! If it was my job I would probably have a little bit different thought process!

Bam Bam
08-09-2011, 09:17 PM
I just started competing about two months ago, and this weekend will be my third comp. I was lucky enough to place first in pork at both comps, and I took a third in chicken, and a third in brisket. Both contests had some pretty formidable teams. SYD, Rhythm n Que, Sweet Peppers, IAB 30, and Big Poppas to name a few. Im still in the "its new and im just happy to be here stage" Every team that I mentioned has helped me in one way or another and have made me feel totally welcome. Im having a blast! I will say though, that walking has turned this hobby into an addiction, and beating some of those teams in a category or two really helped me feel confident that I deserve to be there. So to sum it up, yes, I want it to be sanctioned, I want to make some dough, and I want to cook against better teams so I have something to shoot for. I know BBQ is not a sport, but for me, whenever I played against a stronger opponent in sports, I played better, and I think the same applies in BBQ. On a side note, I have yet to meet a team that I did not like, from what I have seen so far, the BBQ community is full of good people.

Bam Bam
08-09-2011, 09:20 PM
One more thing, for you promoters out there. Take ten bucks out of the prize money and get trophies instead of ribbons or medals. I want a big ol plastic gold trophy when I walk! Its like T ball for adults! What is it about those trophies?? LOL!

Big George's BBQ
08-09-2011, 09:24 PM
I have never won a contest so I can only imagine. That would be really Great. I must admit the few times I have had a call it has been fun. Coming 5th over all at New Holland was fantastic. It was Great hearing yor name and being cheered and congratulated by people you like, consider friends and respect. However the most important thing to me is having fun with my team and family and spending time with people that you have met at other Comps. It is Great listening and learning from other teams. The very idea that almost all will help and teach somome thast they are competing against is to me incredible

kwas68
08-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm an amateur who just won a local rib competition with less than 20 competitors. All I won was a small trophy and my team's name in the local paper. I'm still smiling 3 days later, even after a couple of days of going to work! This is enough for me. I can't wait until the next party to tell my guests that they're eating award-winning BBQ.

So I agree, that it all depends on what your goals are.

moocow
08-09-2011, 09:34 PM
We started this hobby with a goal of just having fun. We have done that and along the way we have picked up 2 GC and a trip to the Jack. All that was awesome but there is nothing better than going to a small town contest and setting up camp and enjoying the atmosphere! We only do Sanctioned contest but we don't care about how big the pay out is. Don't get me wrong, the money is nice but we don't count on it. We are pretty electricity dependent but its not a deal breaker as we have friends that let us use the generators if they are not using them that weekend. We set a goal this year of all top 10 finnishes and a call at every contest. If we can keep that up everything else will work itself out. Just have FUN and good things will happen for you. Our motto last year was " Worlds Luckiest BBQ Team" and things just worked out. I think some people just take this stuff to serious!

jbrink01
08-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Shane - WAY tooo serious for some. I think we are all competitive by nature, but it is only BBQ.

chromesporty
08-09-2011, 10:01 PM
We're in our 5th year of competition and finally won our first GC this year in Jan. Then lighting struck twice and we won a State Championship in March and qualified and are cooking the Royal Invitational this year. The little bit of money along the way helps, but it's not why we're here. I cook mainly for the satisfaction of a job well done and because of the amazing friendships made over the last 5 years. Oh, and I really like cool hardware.

Podge
08-09-2011, 10:19 PM
I go to every contest with the goal to win. Once I give up wanting to win, I'll pay my $700 to do something else.

Alexa RnQ
08-09-2011, 10:27 PM
I just lost the battle with my evil twin --

http://ih0.redbubble.net/work.6859761.1.sticker,375x360.charlie-sheen-winning-v1.png

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
08-09-2011, 10:39 PM
No, the more contest I do the more competitive I get. Don't get me wrong I have fun at every comp but I want to win. I'm relatively new to BBQ and have loved every second but I take a lot of pride in my cooking. I take it personally when we have a bad weekend.

juslearning
08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
My goal is to win!!!!!!! I want to win at everything I do. I am very competitive and expect to do well at everything I do. I don't always win or do well at everything I do, but I still expect it. Hearing your name is always exciting. It is kinda like a double edged sword though. You want to hear your name and they start calling out the winners and they 10th place pork (or whatever) and you are like "hell yes" but then you think, "damnit, I wanted to win 1st place!!!!" but then you forget that and are just happy with a call.

CBQ
08-09-2011, 11:27 PM
OH NO!!!! Winning without having the fun of cue's your daddy conversations or sheep jokes from Blazing butts or a hug from Julie at Swamp pit or any of the hundred other things that occur personally at a comp is a hollow win. Fun to win, no doubt, more fun to be there and compete. Just my two cents....

There is also the dreaded hug from Skip when Swamp Pit gets an RGC. :heh:

We love the atmosphere and the friends, but we aren't doing 15 contests a year just for that. We do want a GC and a trip to the Jack. We are in that "knocking on the door" phase with a lot of top ten finishes, but haven't quite closed the deal yet. It took us four years to get to this point, so I am always surprised at the "we got a GC in our first contest" stories. It doesn't happen often here in the northeast, as every contest always has a few top teams. (not to mention the lowest scoring judges in the country)

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, though.

nukenight
08-09-2011, 11:56 PM
is winning enough? In one word, YES! In two words, heck yes! When they called my team name at a sanctioned contest of 20 cookers I was speechless. It really didn't hit me and my wife until the results were posted on the net. It didn't matter if it was not a Jack Draw. We can always and forever more be known as a winner on that one day. God willing, I will get more. But it is very worth it!

swamprb
08-10-2011, 01:17 AM
My 15 minutes are up.

Whats next?

Crash
08-10-2011, 01:56 AM
I agree with a lot of the others. Making my $ back, making $ for our charity and having a good time with friends is awesome. When we don't make our $ back and only make a small amount for charity, that's OK to. We still had fun with our friends.

For us, we prefer sanctioned events and don't really care if it's a Jack qualifier. That being said, we would really like to have an opportunity to cook the Jack someday, but it isn't a requirement for a competition.

Electricity, we can work around that.

Teams, the more there are the happier we are. We prefer competing in large fields to see where we stack up. Do there have to have be "Big Name Teams", no but we also prefer the best competition available. There's something magical about a small local team taking down the 3 best teams in the country, even if it is only in one category.

As for TOY points or a World Championship.....naw, dont care about that stuff. Mostly it's because we know we're not good enough and are comfortable with where we are at in competition BBQ. Maybe someday we'll be on that level, but we aren't currently and are totally OK with that.

As for the best competition that we have ever been a part of....our first GC in a non-sanctioned contest in Hawaii on Father's Day with all of my kids and my father in attendance. Needless to say, it was a very awesome Father's Day.

The Cosmic Pig
08-10-2011, 03:12 AM
Does it have to be sanctioned? Yes, for the most part
Does it have to have enough money? Makes it worthwhile...
Does it have to have the right number of teams? Yes
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"? Yes
Does it have enough potential TOY points? No
Does it have to be a World Championship? (It is all marketing until you win one. - Myron Mixon) No

I've yet to GC, but RGC'd now 3 times (we only compete 3 comps per year). Like said earlier, more than anything else, it's the walk.

There's nothing like the thrill of knowing that you've got a good chance at winning one of the categories when they start the awards ceremony, and then actually hearing your name called for that very reason! The last comp I did, the weather was so hot that I was ready to leave my smokers there and go home by the time the awards ceremony started (it didn't help that the spaces were all on the blackest pavement you could ever hope to find...). But after they called our name for first place in chicken, I was ready to do it all again! Funny how that works! :wink:

Sledneck
08-10-2011, 03:48 AM
Great topic. I never set the BBQ world on fire but have quietly managed to hit all of my goals. A gc, rgc, a first in each category and a trip to the jack. Since then I basically do a few that I like for fun. At times I feel like I wanna stop competing alll together. Fortunately I seem to get at least one call per contest and it keeps me going. If I stopped getting any calls I would most likely quit. This video explains it further

‪Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in.‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU)

jbrink01
08-10-2011, 08:27 AM
There's nothing like the thrill of knowing that you've got a good chance at winning one of the categories when they start the awards ceremony, and then actually hearing your name called for that very reason! The last comp I did, the weather was so hot that I was ready to leave my smokers there and go home by the time the awards ceremony started (it didn't help that the spaces were all on the blackest pavement you could ever hope to find...). But after they called our name for first place in chicken, I was ready to do it all again! Funny how that works! :wink:

The best is when you suck at a catetgory all year, make RADICAL changes on the fly and win that category. Happened to us with brisket 2 weeks ago! BTW, and no disrepect intended, Quau, 4 Smokin' Butts, Myron, Gilley's and McFrankenboo plus several other strong teams were in that field. It sure felt good!

afreemaniii
08-10-2011, 09:01 AM
"I come out here to win." Tiger can be an S.O.B., but his mindset is right.

We come out every week to cook the best food we can and we have the mindset that if we produce, then we're going to win. No questions asked. Winning is why we enter comps. If we wanted to simply cook good food, then we'd save the money, time, and hassle and just cook in our backyard. We are always disappointed when we don't produce the way we know we can and we'll spend the entire drive home going over the entire contest and making notes on what to change for the next contest. It's that desire to win that keeps us coming back to contests. Be it a first year contest in De Forest, WI, a Sam's Club qualifier, The Royal, or The Jack, we show up to win. When that fire is gone, then our competition days will be behind us and we'll grow old and fat eating great bbq in our backyard.

G$
08-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks for posting the topic, Todd.

HarleyGirl14226
08-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Our goal for every contest is to get all four in and not DQ, have fun, and not to come in DAL.

That's it.

Any calls beyond that we consider ourselves winners in our own heads.

Matt_A
08-10-2011, 02:03 PM
One more thing, for you promoters out there. Take ten bucks out of the prize money and get trophies instead of ribbons or medals. I want a big ol plastic gold trophy when I walk! Its like T ball for adults! What is it about those trophies?? LOL!
Would you prefer a "wood, plastic, and gold-toned pot metal doo-dad on top" trophy from the Trophy and Engraving Store down the street, or a custom built trophy unique to that one competition?

Lake Dogs
08-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Custom built; they tend to be VERY cool.

CivilWarBBQ
08-10-2011, 02:29 PM
As previously mentioned, our goals change over time. When you start out, any call is a thrill. Then you progress to winning a category, making the top 10 overall, then top 5, then getting a Grand. Once you hit that mark, getting into the Jack, etc. etc.

Somewhere along the way you find sponsors are needed to fund all this, and then a whole new set of goals come about. These days I find I am at least as focused on representing the brand for our sponsors as I am winning the contest. As long as the sponsors are happy, they fuel the financial engine that keeps the us on the road.

fnbish
08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
In our first 2 MBN competitions we did backyard and got 7th in ribs in the first comp and then 2nd in ribs in our second comp and were chitting bricks. We had so much fun just being three and to do that well starting out (even if it just was backyard) was icing on the cake. Then our first KCBS came along and it was all professional and we had an awesome time again and finished dead ass last. That sucked, but the thrill of the competition along with having a great time with close friends means a hell of a lot.

Like many others have said the more I will compete the more I will want to win and the ratio of having fun to winning may change, but either way right now it is awesome regardless.

jbrink01
08-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Custom built; they tend to be VERY cool.

Yep! The cool ones stay upstairs in plain sight. The cheapo's go to the basement.

jbrink01
08-10-2011, 02:58 PM
And BTW - We received paper certificates 2 weeks ago. Really?!?!

worthsmokin
08-10-2011, 04:25 PM
I want trophy's like Todd's from Pleasant Hill!

Stoke&Smoke
08-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Great topic Todd!
We're still rookies to competing, at least in my eyes. So...
Does it have to be sanctioned? For us, yes
Does it have to have enough money? Being able to defray some of the expense by getting a call or two does make it easier to do
Does it have to have the right number of teams? Not sure what that means?
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"? It's more fun if it does! To know you have beaten one of the best, at least in one category on one given day is an awesome feeling!
Does it have enough potential TOY points? Nah, we'll never be TOY
Does it have to be a World Championship? nah

We spend most of my vacation days in any given year either competing, getting ready to compete, etc. About 15 of my 20 days. If we do 6 comps, as in the last two years, 18, but this year we're sitting at least one out to fix equipment issues

We don't do it just to win, if we did, we'd be a miserable pair! We do it for the fun, the camraderie, the challenge, and yes, for the thrill of a call, on the occaisions we get them. It's the whole package...Oh, and...for the occaisional sightings like this one!:becky:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/IronMtn2011/coz_922.jpg

bam
08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Our 1 st goal is 4 first place finishes :boxing: 2nd have fun. :-D We always get our second goal the first goal has yet to come. :pray:

Sticks-n-chicks
08-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Great read, and great thread. It's actually been on my thoughts more this year than before. I have only competed 3 years, but have been fortunate to get calls, no wins but an RGC (Chad, 4 points). Inside joke... This year has been very tough, from team members stepping away to just not turning in good q. I have had 2 of my worst finishes in the last 2 months, I have changed my rubs, sauces and methods. Came 22 out of 74 in Olathe last weekend and was very happy with that. I feel like I am on the right track. But back to the point my perspective changed after being in Joplin.

I have in the past turned and ran when things don't happen on my schedule...but after seeing Joplin and being with the community and with everyone helping out my problems and concerns were not that big of a deal. I love to compete and I love the people I compete against! I can't tell you how many teams reached out to me in the past 2 months offering to listen, advise and tutor. Where else in any type of competition do you see that. I hope to win a comp someday but it will happen when it happens. Until then I will stick with my goals I had at my first comp. Not doing well the past 2 months makes me appreciate even more the calls I have had! It helps my 6 year old was GC...of course I just realized my 6 year old and 8 year old are both GC's and I'm not :( maybe I should let them cook the contest!

1. Have fun
2. Turn in every category
3. Don't DQ
4. See goal #1

Sawdustguy
08-10-2011, 06:46 PM
If it were just about winning we would have quit a long time ago. I speak for all of us Polocks when I say that we have interests more dear to our hearts than bbq. BBQ is what we do to unwind and have fun. We have job obligations, tuitions to pay, grand kids, babies etc. to worry about now. We are happy to do out two contests a year and have a blast doing them. If we ever win, which I doubt because we don't take it seriously enough, it is just gravy. Seeing everyone and having a good time is good enough for us.

HoDeDo
08-10-2011, 07:52 PM
I don't think any of it matters really...
We went to Milwaukee last year, knowing that it would not be a 25 team comp. We went to have fun with our upper midwest friends that we dont see that often!

We cooked Laurie last weekend where the prize money was lower and the drive was longer.... than Olathe.

Ditto going to Mason City vs. the Great Mall contest.
Our first goal is always to have fun. Obviously I want to win, but not at the expense of enjoyment.

I get what you said about the un-sanctioned/backyard events... but I will go cook those too. Many times there is a good charity behind them, and it helps them to be there and cook and drag folks in. We used to cook Greeley KS every year. (Milwaukee took it's place) We may go back this year, just cuz we had a blast there every year, and raised money for the "Town & Country" youth home. And those judges may not like KCBS style BBQ. APWA has one we go to when it fits the schedule, etc.

I do like qualifers, The invitationals are fun, and I do enjoy the JAck and would like a chance to get there... The rest of it is all relative.

We just kind of go where BBQ takes us. I'm open to the adventure, wherever it will lead. I wouldnt have it any other way... its taken us coast to coast, and across a border.

Is being the Grand Champion of a competition enough or...

Does it have to be sanctioned?
Does it have to be a qualifier?
Does it have to have enough money?
Does it have to have electricity?
Does it have to have the right number of teams?
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"?
Does it have enough potential TOY points?
Does it have to be a World Championship? (It is all marketing until you win one. - Myron Mixon)

My first two grand championships were small non-sanctioned fair type contests. Was far, far from being the Jack, the Royal, or MIM. As GC, I won my entry fee back. And we liked it!!!

Is winning enough for you?

Matt_A
08-10-2011, 07:56 PM
And BTW - We received paper certificates 2 weeks ago. Really?!?!
Seriously???

Coz
08-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Great topic Todd!
We're still rookies to competing, at least in my eyes. So...
Does it have to be sanctioned? For us, yes
Does it have to have enough money? Being able to defray some of the expense by getting a call or two does make it easier to do
Does it have to have the right number of teams? Not sure what that means?
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"? It's more fun if it does! To know you have beaten one of the best, at least in one category on one given day is an awesome feeling!
Does it have enough potential TOY points? Nah, we'll never be TOY
Does it have to be a World Championship? nah

We spend most of my vacation days in any given year either competing, getting ready to compete, etc. About 15 of my 20 days. If we do 6 comps, as in the last two years, 18, but this year we're sitting at least one out to fix equipment issues

We don't do it just to win, if we did, we'd be a miserable pair! We do it for the fun, the camraderie, the challenge, and yes, for the thrill of a call, on the occaisions we get them. It's the whole package...Oh, and...for the occaisional sightings like this one!:becky:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/IronMtn2011/coz_922.jpg

So is it The Chocolate milk or the The racetrack sponsor on the shirt that fascinates you :becky::becky::becky::becky:

Jeff_in_KC
08-10-2011, 09:09 PM

Not sure why you're hammering on him for using the word "you". But in any case, good luck with your plan! Winning GC's does NOTHING for wanting to shut down the competition part of things! Unless winning ONE was your goal from the get-go. Trust me - winning one breeds the desire to cook more and win another. You feed on wins.

Jeff_in_KC
08-10-2011, 09:34 PM
I've read a few of these posts say that some people take all of this too seriously. I think the phrase "too seriously" is relative and depends upon what your goals are. Do I take BBQ comps too seriously? To me, it's not too serious but it probably is to 80% of the teams out there. I take everything competitive seriously. I don't even like to lose a board game to my ten year old daughter! LOL! When I look at winning and making money, I realize the more I'm able to do that, the more I get to compete. Without it, I'm sitting on the sidelines. I also look at it like winning will possibly attract sponsors and possibly somehow a contact for a job in the BBQ industry or credentials for putting on classes (not competition recipe/methods classes but backyard BBQ and maybe introduction to competition BBQ type classes). The simple truth is that while 27 contests in 2010 wore me out and to a degree I'm still burnt out, I can't go look at the KCBS rankings without feeling a little sad that last year's run is long since over and done with. It was a blast to get to know so many more folks from all over the country and to have people know who you are that you yourself don't even know. I've also been able to help a few people along the way who needed some BBQ assistance and came to me asking. Me!!! Who would have thought that would ever happen? Not me! But I enjoy giving back to those folks because so many did it for me in prior years. And to me, that's part of why I take it so seriously. I realize I've put pressure on myself to do well and I take full responsibility for that. Too serious? Maybe. Just not to me.

Bentley
08-10-2011, 09:56 PM
At the heart of it all you have to have fun and enjoy it, otherwise you would be better off staying home.

Good point, that's the reason we do not compete anymore...

jbrink01
08-10-2011, 10:00 PM
@ Jeff - I think I know excatly what your saying. The more I do well, the more I want to do, but, the biggest reason I didnt cook the AR the first time I was invited was burn out. It wasn't until Tricia quit her job to cater full time and I accepted that she really didnt need me around did I start let go a bit, find balance and begin to really enjoy contests. I have met some very nice people through BBQ and hopefully they are as happy to see me as I am to see them and call them friend.

Bam Bam
08-10-2011, 10:20 PM
LOL! Good question, if I could choose, I would take something unique to the comp. Wood would be pretty sweet as well. Sweet Peppers took GC at the get your pig on in Sedona AZ a few weeks back and got this sweet big pig sculpture. I was jealous. ;)

Brewer
08-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Don't care about winning as long as I catch a good buzz, have a great time with friends and make enough back to cover meat and fuel. That's my huckleberry.

Stoke&Smoke
08-11-2011, 07:39 AM
So is it The Chocolate milk or the The racetrack sponsor on the shirt that fascinates you :becky::becky::becky::becky:

Neither! It's that stylish hat!!!:becky:

The Cosmic Pig
08-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Our goal for every contest is to get all four in and not DQ, have fun, and not to come in DAL.

That's it.

Any calls beyond that we consider ourselves winners in our own heads.

What she said!:clap2:

Podge
08-11-2011, 09:22 AM
I reckon if I had a Ďteamí of people to split up the costs, to where itíd cost me about $100-150, not $800 out of my pocket, then Iíd think I could relax a bit and have a good time and not worry so much about winning or at least recouping my costs. (so, in answering the original question, I look at who the reps are first prize money second, and see what friends will be there.) Thereís only 2 times I have fun a BBQ contest. #1, on Thursday nights. (Friday morning to 2:30 Saturday afternoon, pretty much all business) and #2, when I am there at a contest just to visit and hang out. My competition time starts on Tuesday of that week. Thatís 5 days I spend concentrating on the competition in one way or another. That is several hours of work, plain and simple, with $800 out of pocket. I do enjoy aspects of that work, but I damn sure do not compete at a contest just to have a good time. If I want to have a great time at a contest and expect nothing else, Iíll visit instead..

Alexa RnQ
08-11-2011, 09:23 AM
I wish I could remember who it was that said $700 to party is one hell of a cover charge.

roksmith
08-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Does it have to be sanctioned? Nope
Does it have to be a qualifier? Nope
Does it have to have enough money? Can't say it's not a factor, but it's low on the list.
Does it have to have electricity? Not if they don't mind me running my loud ass generator :)
Does it have to have the right number of teams? Nope
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"? Beating big names is fun, but I enjoy bragging rights over the local guys more I think.
Does it have enough potential TOY points? No interest.. Gotta compete waaay too often to make a dent.
Does it have to be a World Championship? (It is all marketing until you win one. - Myron Mixon) Maybe someday.. but not for now

Is winning enough for you? I'll let you know when we win one..

Money is nice... It helps us to compete more often. Currently we consider making our money back a success and making more a bigger success. Our RGC from earlier in the year will fund our whole season for the most part.

Will I compete in a contest knowing I have little chance in at least breaking even? Sure.
Will I drive across the country to do it? Nope.

Sawdustguy
08-11-2011, 09:37 AM
I wish I could remember who it was that said $700 to party is one hell of a cover charge.

If we had a party at home what are we going to save, the contest entry fee? When we cook at a contest, everyone comes out of the woodwork to visit our site because we now only cook local contests. I look at it this way, it's our annual summer party without screwing up my back yard. If we walk it is a bonus.

Alexa RnQ
08-11-2011, 09:48 AM
And there's the difference. You don't hold 27 or 28 annual parties per year!

BChawg
08-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Heck I never even thought about competing at the Fair -- that my friend is a great Idea!

Competition BBQ has been a great medium for me personally. I typically look at the venue to see if we think we will enjoy it as a team, but like bigger contests in general that offer more than just the 4 basic categories, support charity, etc. Love 30 amp and water hook up.

Winning for me is relative -- it's a great hobby. I liken it to a camping trip except instead of playing cards and domino's we gamble on our cook. I've probably enjoyed putting the whole entity together as much as anything. It's tough to be proficient enough when you only compete 4-6 times per year, so I have to put things in perspective -- but we like to win no doubt.

Win -- I received a ton of support from this group during my deployment to the desert in 2010. My sister and family live in Joplin and I was proud as hell of the folks on this board that went to help out! Not to mention she's a huge part of our team and really enjoys getting out to meet and compete. It's given us a common interest and something we can do together as a family.

In regards to the contests we all want to win and win big -- at Clark Kent we go all out for it for the few we are able to attend -- but no matter which contest you pick there are going to be some fantastic cooks and on any given Saturday -- well you know the story.

Clark

CMALANGA
08-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Sanctioning doesn't amtter to me personally. Some of the more fun contests that I've been to have been local events with modified rules- like absolutely no garnish allowed in the box - just meat. I'm not in it for the money either. Yes I am interested in the trophy, otherwise I'd just stay home and BBQ with some friends. Any call for me is having a great perfomance, but it's not required for me to have good time. I'd have a better time if it didn't pour every time I compete, but that's the breaks I guess.

MoKanMeathead
08-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Does it have to be sanctioned? Yes - by someone. I want to know it will be judged by a set of rules that is applied evenly and fairly.

Does it have to be a qualifier? YES - IF we should luck into a GC I want that invite.

Does it have to have enough money? Nice but I don't usually make my decision on that alone.

Does it have to have electricity? Yes

Does it have to have the right number of teams? Don't care - SO LONG as there are enough to be a qualifier, so I guess the answer is yes.

Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"? Don't care who is there

Does it have enough potential TOY points? We don't cook enough to be at the top so it doesn't matter, although we MIGHT peek into the top 25 this year in chicken. ;-0

Does it have to be a World Championship? (It is all marketing until you win one. - Myron Mixon) LOL - I don't know what this is - I will tell you if we should ever win one!

Overall I would say that they are all important but we don't make our decisions about where to cook based soley on these items. We like to cook where we have fun and a lot of our friends are cooking

jbrink01
08-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Well said Wayne!

Podge
08-12-2011, 07:57 AM
“Big name teams” are a thing of the past I think. 5 years or so ago, yeah, there was an elite few. With classes and a new crop of very talented new cooks out there coming out over the past year or two, the competitions are tougher and tougher. A fellow could guess which 5 would be at the top of a 50 team contest. These days, there’s half of those teams who are fully capable of winning it. I think Bottom Feeding has become extinct. So, in that regard, if a team wins a GC at any contest these days, that is one hell of an accomplishment !

BBQ_Mayor
08-12-2011, 08:18 AM
I don't go to a contest not to win. It's always the plan is to win as much as you can, weather it's money, trophies, ribbons or just to hear your name, doesn't matter.
This coming from a team that has never won a GC in the 8 plus years of competing (got to be some sort of a record). We're chopping at the bit to get that first GC really bad..so right now for us, we want that GC at a sanctioned contest so we can get that invite to the Royal. Whatever happens after that happens. Just get that first one and move on from that.