PDA

View Full Version : COMPETITION CANCELLED - Quing For A Cause, Columbia, Mo

lazyjacres
08-09-2011, 12:41 PM
We still have openings for teams at this contest on the 26th & 27th.
It's at the Bass Pro Shop in Columbia. The prize money goes up with the amount of teams. We've been averaging 30+ teams, and the prize money has been close to $5000 in past years.
If you don't have anything going on, come on up and join us.

4 smokin butts
08-09-2011, 09:29 PM
nice contest,we did this one last year,good electric,good venue,good people,great time, were in

crd26a
08-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I heard MoKan LOVES this contest lol

4 smokin butts
08-09-2011, 10:11 PM
must be the apple pie

jbrink01
08-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Big catering that weekend, otherwise we would!

spicewine
08-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Spicewine Ironworks will be there.

mobow
08-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Wife and i are judging this one. keih

MoKanMeathead
08-10-2011, 11:33 AM

Funny Chris - we MAY be there but will be incognito. :shock:

spicewine
08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm not running it this year Wayne. I will look the other way. :thumb:

Muddy River Boy
08-10-2011, 06:16 PM
The muddy river boys are not gonna make this one, as I have to work:evil::doh: May the BBQ gods shine good weather on everyone and hopefully Gary (belly brothers) doesn't get locked in a porta potty:shock:

Clint

Solidkick
08-11-2011, 06:26 AM
No porta potty locking!

The Bellys took most of the summer off (haven't competed since May) so we'll use this contest to shake the rust off and go after the roots N' blues a couple of weeks later, then on to the AR. So it looks like I'll get plenty of apple pie in the weeks to come!

See everyone there!

SinginBob
08-13-2011, 05:33 PM

...and why wouldnt we? Apple pie! Peach moonshine! ... and the courteous staff at Bass Pro! :tape:

spicewine
08-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Bump. We need teams!!!!!

rip
08-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Registered today. See you there.

Bump. We need teams!!!!!

jbrink01
08-16-2011, 03:21 PM
How many teams you got Jay? Wife said I could skip the catering and come (it's only 500).........

jbrink01
08-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Just talked to Susan. We're in.

lazyjacres
08-17-2011, 09:46 AM
They still need a few more teams. Not sure how many.

jbrink01
08-17-2011, 03:19 PM
How Many do they have??????

jbrink01
08-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Bump. Looks like they have 30 teams signed and / or committed! I'm sure more are welcomed though!!

spicewine
08-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Don't know where you got your info from, but we are far from 30 teams. Still need teams to make sanction limit. Make some calls and get some teams to sign up please. I would hate to see this contest fade away.

jbrink01
08-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Don't know where you got your info from, but we are far from 30 teams. Still need teams to make sanction limit. Make some calls and get some teams to sign up please. I would hate to see this contest fade away.

Susan said she had 24 and 5 committed plus me. I sure hope it makes it!!

Solidkick
08-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Susan said she had 24 and 5 committed plus me. I sure hope it makes it!!
That would be sweet! See you there!

jbrink01
08-20-2011, 04:07 PM
The down side is, if it's not gonna make it to 25, where do I go? Cape?

4 smokin butts
08-22-2011, 05:38 AM
anyone want to split a case of parsley,10.00$,picking it up thurs.......looks like good weather:clap2:

Mrs. McFrankenboo
08-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Looks like as of today there are 22 teams plus 5 pledges. We're throwing around the idea of doing this one.

4 smokin butts
08-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Looks like as of today there are 22 teams plus 5 pledges. We're throwing around the idea of doing this one.
so well see you guys friday morn?? were comming in on thurs.....need parsley,let me know dennis:crazy:

Mrs. McFrankenboo
08-23-2011, 10:45 AM
so well see you guys friday morn?? were comming in on thurs.....need parsley,let me know dennis:crazy:

Yes, you'll see us on Friday morning and yes, we'll go in on parsley with you! See you all there!!

spicewine
08-23-2011, 02:58 PM
The contest has been canceled. Not enough teams. Sorry folks

jbrink01
08-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Bummer. Thanks Jay.

Mrs. McFrankenboo
08-23-2011, 03:14 PM
The contest has been canceled. Not enough teams. Sorry folks

What? She just told me this morning to mail in the entry!!

Solidkick
08-23-2011, 05:35 PM
email sent out this afternoon.....

We regret to inform you that the Q'n for a Cause BBQ Contest
scheduled for this weekend has been canceled. Several teams
who said they were coming have backed out and it appears that
there is no way that we can reach the 25 team minimum required
by the American Royal.

If you've paid by check, it has not been deposited and will be
returned to you. If you were paying by credit card, it has not and
will not be processed.

We extend our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience this
may have caused you.

The Contest Organizers
Susan Wampler, Mike McMillen & Tim Chancellor

Solidkick
08-23-2011, 05:45 PM
I know, it is sad, this contest has been a good one for about 5 years. Don't know why there wasn't interest this year. Unless it was the low payout listed on KCBS. And the economy. Hell, we've had Florida Skin and Bones, Parrothead, just to name a few in the past. I don't know......last year our community supported 4 contests, this year we've lost 2 of them.

Bonner Springs anyone?

Lion Bout The Q
08-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Sad that they cancelled it.. Seems pretty late in the game to do that...

mobow
08-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Sad that they cancelled it.. Seems pretty late in the game to do that...
not meaning to offend anyone but i think the smaller contest are going to experience more of this. first they have to list a purse that they are committed to based on the minimumn number of teams they hope for that they can not reduce if they don't make the number they hoped for. if they get more teams they can raise the purse but no one knows what that will be unitl the day of the contest. second, if you look at this thread they did not have cash in hand on tuesday for a contest that starts friday. I can't blame them for pulling the plug. keih

moocow
08-23-2011, 08:42 PM
I know, it is sad, this contest has been a good one for about 5 years. Don't know why there wasn't interest this year. Unless it was the low payout listed on KCBS. And the economy. Hell, we've had Florida Skin and Bones, Parrothead, just to name a few in the past. I don't know......last year our community supported 4 contests, this year we've lost 2 of them.

Bonner Springs anyone?
Bonner Springs is sold out!

4 smokin butts
08-23-2011, 09:13 PM
yesterday told 22 confirmed,5 verbals.......last week told by rep 16 confirmed,5 verbals,,,,,rumer has it today ,told only 16 teams confirmed,not good for traviling teams.......cape has a few openings

jbrink01
08-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm headed to Cape. Lincoln had "a few" when I called them today.

Lion Bout The Q
08-23-2011, 09:52 PM
I can see pulling the contest.. and I can also see still having it even though you don't have 25 teams.Its still a BBQ contest and they committed to it. I am just saying tuesday on the week of the contest is late and not the best thing to do to the cooks who committed to you. They have their comp meat and probably made arrangements at work to be gone and fought with their wife to be able to go in the first place......

mobow
08-24-2011, 07:36 AM
I can see pulling the contest.. and I can also see still having it even though you don't have 25 teams.Its still a BBQ contest and they committed to it. I am just saying tuesday on the week of the contest is late and not the best thing to do to the cooks who committed to you. They have their comp meat and probably made arrangements at work to be gone and fought with their wife to be able to go in the first place......
I hear you. Maybe organizers should start closing the contest 30 days out if they do not have entry fees in hand. I think teams waiting till the last minute makes it difficult for organizers. Just my opinion. keith

jbrink01
08-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Keith - We generally fill out and pay our schedule very early in the year. We've decided to add a few so we were late on this one, but generally I don't get the procrastination method...............

stlgreg
08-24-2011, 07:51 AM
I hear you. Maybe organizers should start closing the contest 30 days out if they do not have entry fees in hand. I think teams waiting till the last minute makes it difficult for organizers. Just my opinion. keith

From an organizers standpoint, depending on the year, I would say 30-50% of my teams have signed up in the last 30 days. There is a big rush to start about 35%, the rest trickle in for awhile then bam when it gets close.

The first year was really stressful. It really does hurt the smaller contests. How do they know if they are going to get to their break even point?

I am pretty sure Pacific signed up 40-50% of their teams in the last 30 days. Its a big problem with some organizers. I know one year (three years ago?) in Pacific he was scrambling to find judges. He had a bunch of teams sign up at the last second (something like 20 in the last 10 days) that he was pulling judges from ANYWHERE.

Babyboomerboy
08-24-2011, 08:23 AM
From an organizers standpoint, depending on the year, I would say 30-50% of my teams have signed up in the last 30 days. There is a big rush to start about 35%, the rest trickle in for awhile then bam when it gets close.

The first year was really stressful. It really does hurt the smaller contests. How do they know if they are going to get to their break even point?

I am pretty sure Pacific signed up 40-50% of their teams in the last 30 days. Its a big problem with some organizers. I know one year (three years ago?) in Pacific he was scrambling to find judges. He had a bunch of teams sign up at the last second (something like 20 in the last 10 days) that he was pulling judges from ANYWHERE.

As the organizer of the Hay Capital BBQ, I had just the opposite problem. I had over 60 judges on the list and 2 weeks out from the contest we only had 20 teams signed up. We had to email several judges and let them know that the number of teams for our contest were down this year and it didn't look like we would be able to use them. This was the first time I had that experience and I didn't like it at all. We ended up having teams call us the day before the contest and asking to get in. I have lost all my hair and fingernails and probably several judges for next year. I must say that all the contests around here were down on the number of teams this year and the economy was probably the reason. Anyway, if your a team and you plan to go to a contest, please sign up as early as possible so the organizer can make sure he gets 100% CBJ's for the event. I am stepping of the soapbox now.

Solidkick
08-24-2011, 12:15 PM

I think we were at 3 teams paid with a month to go. they had to consider paying for the trophies, the porta-potties, generators, etc..... plus guys like Dennis and Jim driving a few hours to find out it wasn't going to be a qualifier when they had a chance to go to one that was. The contest had always gotten good response in the past, this would have been (i Think) the 7th year at this location.

spicewine
08-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Belly Brothers chickend out knowing that they were gonna get a big Spice Whoopin. It's their fault!!:boink::boink:

lazyjacres
08-24-2011, 04:53 PM
This contest in particular, is totally a benefit to raise money for a particular charity that changes from year to year. For some reason, not from a lack of trying, we have not been able to get the big sponsors that a lot of other contests pick up, enabling them to post large pay outs.
The prize money that is paid out is based solely on the amount of money brought in by team entries. This money is paid out 100% to the contest.
The charity money comes from moneies raised outside of the contest.
The KCBS rule that you have to list your "guaranteed" prize money, absolutely kills the interest in this particular contest. We have to list the prize money low, even though we have given out close to $5000 every year. The teams that are not familiar with the contest look at the pay out guarantee, and stray away. This, plus the economy, I believe are the primary reason this contest didn't fly this year.
In the past 6 years that I was involved in organizing this contest, we received 60% of the entries in the last 2 weeks, and have always had 30 plus teams.

spicewine
08-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Instead of gaurenteed payouts, I think that contests should list percentage of entry fee pay out and average yearly attendance. Thus no guessing to satisfy KCBS and a greater chance of small contests to draw more teams. If you have a good track record, that should account for something. JMHO.

Smokin' Bad Habit
08-24-2011, 08:56 PM
to bad ....sounds like it was a great comp

Solidkick
08-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Belly Brothers chickend out knowing that they were gonna get a big Spice Whoopin. It's their fault!!:boink::boink:

Oh yea...the team that was willing to split in to two teams so we could get double beat up on by You.......thank you sir, may I have another? :becky: