PDA

View Full Version : Lang 60 Experience

Bigowls
08-07-2011, 06:36 PM
How is everyone? I'm thinking about purchasing a Lang 60 does anyone have any experience cooking on one of these. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PorkQPine
08-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Since this is in the catering section I would guess that you are looking at this for catering. Don't, you will need at least a Lang 84. The 60 will limit you too much. Both are great units but you will need the 84 if you do any sizeable group.

HBMTN
08-07-2011, 10:43 PM
I have an 84 and love it. What will you be using it for?

Bigowls
08-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks. I'm considering the 84 now I think it will be well worth the extra money spent. HBMTN Tell us about your experiences cooking on the 84. How well does it hold temp even in the Virginia winters? Does it cook evenly from side to side? Overall how has it served you? Any other information you can share will also be helpful. Do you have any pictures of your rig? Thanks

Lake Dogs
08-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Have a Lang 1160, which as best I can figure is a very early model 84. It is WONDERFUL. Front to back I have a temperature variation of about 30 degrees. I haven't noticed any side to side. I wouldn't have another offset that's not a reverse flow now that I've used this one for a while. Another manufacturer that you may want to consider is Bubba Grills (www.bubbagrills.net). Models are very similar.

Mine is what now, pushing 20 years old; works great.

HBMTN
08-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks. I'm considering the 84 now I think it will be well worth the extra money spent. HBMTN Tell us about your experiences cooking on the 84. How well does it hold temp even in the Virginia winters? Does it cook evenly from side to side? Overall how has it served you? Any other information you can share will also be helpful. Do you have any pictures of your rig? Thanks

I got it in January and have cooked at least 4000lbs of meat or more since then. The top rack cooks even all the way across. The bottom rack cooks even between the door openings but is a little cooler than the top rack. The bottom rack from the door to the firebox end is HOT and I like it that way, I can get sides hot real fast by placing them there if I need it. The bottom rack from the door opening to the end opposite the firebox is a cooler zone and I don't cook much there, it also is a good place to put things that I want to cook slower so I kind of like that too. Whole hogs cook great and I rarely have to turn end to end. I don't think I could get much larger than 150lb hog on it, largest I have done was 133lbs

The warmer box is great for putting butts and sides in it when done to keep warm. It runs 50-75 degrees colder than the cook chamber. It is the exact size of a full size steam pan which is one flaw I don'y like. It can be tight getting things in there if you are holding the pan by the sides. I think about 4 inches or so wider would be nice. I had Lang install a damper so I could direct fire the warmer box and cook in it. This worls great for the bottom two racks that could hold butts each, the top rack however still only get hot enough to be between warming and cooking which somewhat does not make sense because heat rises. I bought the cooker for catering but got to thinking what if I just want to cook a small amount of food so I had Lang install a 2nd damper that I can shut off the main chamber and cook in the firebox only. This has come in handy when I have been doing hogs and I have the hog done in the main food chamber and can shut it down while still cooking a couple pans of beans in the warmer box.

As for cold weather cooking it has served me great so far. I have cooked in some 20 degree weather and it held temps great (will use more wood though). Wind slows it even more but does any pit I have cooked on. I like the way they have two intake drafts on each side. I live on top of a ridge with high winds sometimes and when the wind shifts I can shut the drafts on the down wind side and create a forced air draft and keep temps up. When the wind shifts I can shut the other two and open the closed ones on the other side and keep on running smooth. On my other pit the drafts are in the door, when the wind shifts I have to turn the pit or my temps plummet to ice cold.

All in all it is a great cooker for the money. My only complaints are that whoever did fabrication and fit (at least on my pit) did not take much pride in his work and there are lots of minor fabrication flaws that could have been prevented with a little pride in his work. Nothing major though. Sorry I did not mean to write a book LOL