PDA

View Full Version : BBQ a Sport, really?

parrdist
08-07-2011, 02:33 PM
I think we all should rethink calling competitive BBQ a sport. I hardly think being a pit master makes one an athlete. I think calling what we do a sport is doing real athletes a disservice. What we do is a competitive "ACTIVITY". The truth is anyone can be a Pit Master if they are willing to invest the time and energy to learn. Where as I could spend as much time practicing and I will never be able to hit golf ball like Tiger, or throw a football like John Elway ,or run as fast as Carl Lewis. We are Pit Masters if you do it for money,you can call yourself a Pro. but you ain't no athlete, and this ain't no sport. Just my 2 cents.

MilitantSquatter
08-07-2011, 02:47 PM
This was discussed here back in '08

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36576&highlight=sport

In review, I still agree with a lot of my earlier thoughts I posted except now I really don't think it matters what people choose to classify any event as. It's a nice topic for discussion at a bar or the internet... but that's about it.

watertowerbbq
08-07-2011, 02:49 PM
why is hitting a stationary ball with dead silence a sport?
why is driving a fast car a sport?
why is shooting a sport?

the answer............who cares!

if those can be a sport, so can bbq. :-D

INmitch
08-07-2011, 03:32 PM
You mean I've been doing all this working out, weight lifting n running to keep my boyish buff body for nothing!:doh:

Rich Parker
08-07-2011, 04:33 PM
My Facebook page says iBQ'n is a professional sports team, and we all know Facebook is always right.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/IBQn/147722865263697

gtsum
08-07-2011, 05:09 PM
LOL..i gotta agree...to say bbq is a sport pretty much does most other sports an injustice. bbq is a hobby, passion, or business venture for some....a sport it most certainly is not...if so, we likely have the highest BMI and cholesterol of any sport I know of:)

Matt_A
08-07-2011, 05:15 PM
You're ALL wrong...... BBQ is an ART!!!!!!!!! :boxing:

HVRibFest
08-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I do lifting in the half liter class, the five shot Jägermeister under 30 seconds, long haul smoking without sleep, etc.
I call it a sport!
If you dare, try to beat me...

landarc
08-07-2011, 05:23 PM
why is hitting a stationary ball with dead silence a sport? Golf is a competitive game
why is driving a fast car a sport? Auto Racing is Auto racing
why is shooting a sport? Unless it is biathlon, it is an activity

Then again, I saw that poker is also a sport.

gtsum
08-07-2011, 05:24 PM
You're ALL wrong...... BBQ is an ART!!!!!!!!! :boxing:

it certainly is!

Contracted Cookers
08-07-2011, 05:28 PM
I think we all should rethink calling competitive BBQ a sport. I hardly think being a pit master makes one an athlete. I think calling what we do a sport is doing real athletes a disservice. What we do is a competitive "ACTIVITY". The truth is anyone can be a Pit Master if they are willing to invest the time and energy to learn. Where as I could spend as much time practicing and I will never be able to hit golf ball like Tiger, or throw a football like John Elway ,or run as fast as Carl Lewis. We are Pit Masters if you do it for money,you can call yourself a Pro. but you ain't no athlete, and this ain't no sport. Just my 2 cents.
just because you and your wife are fighting doesn"t mean you have to start one here.

parrdist
08-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Me and the wife are doing just fine. But this place was kind of quiet and I have been thinking about this,so I thought why not put it out there. I don't want a fight,just a little conversation.

swamprb
08-07-2011, 05:56 PM
My name is in the Alcohol of Fame. I've retired and given up competitive drinking, and moved into Competition BBQ.

NRA4Life
08-07-2011, 06:19 PM
This topic is like a dog chasing it's tail.

bbqbull
08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Please keep this conservation civil and on track!!!

Thank's in advance.

O-Town
08-07-2011, 06:30 PM
If you could have seen my drunk arse balancing a raw 10lb pork butt in one hand and a 16lb Brisket in the other all while chugging a cold Coors Light AND opening the sliding glass door with my foot I have no DOUBT you would say "There goes a True American Athlete" ! :-D

QansasjayhawQ
08-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Just like BBQ styles, cookers, cooking methods, proper woods to use for which meats, etc. there is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer to this question.

Competition BBQ is what it is to you. It's a sport or an event or a hobby or all of the above. It doesn't matter. What matters is that you enjoy the activity and have fun with the people of your life.

A-dub
08-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I would have to agree. BBQ obviously takes skill, but it can be honed much easier than most other "real sports". However, good BBQ does require a natural ability (and interest) that not everyone is going to have...

watertowerbbq
08-07-2011, 10:13 PM
LOL..i gotta agree...to say bbq is a sport pretty much does most other sports an injustice. bbq is a hobby, passion, or business venture for some....a sport it most certainly is not...if so, we likely have the highest BMI and cholesterol of any sport I know of:)
we're in a dead heat with bowlers................:becky:

fil
08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
I too was thinking that BBQ wasn't really a sport but after reading this....

I copied this from merriam-webster DOT com/
Definition of SPORT

a : a source of diversion : recreation
b : sexual play
c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in
a : pleasantry, jest

.....I'm gonna re-think it now. :-D:-D

fil

CBQ
08-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Competition teams are also called "pro" teams. Yup, not only are we athletes, we are professional athletes. :becky:

Lake Dogs
08-08-2011, 07:15 AM
^^^ LOL.

My runner will appreciate this. She's now a professional athlete and the designated runner. Oh my... NFL beware!!!!!

ZILLA
08-08-2011, 08:13 AM
I think the term sport has taken on a new meaning in todays society. Anything that is practiced competitively seems to classified as a sport. To me it's an Avocation, hobby, most of all a lifestyle but to me not a sport.

Chipper
08-08-2011, 09:03 AM
I think it was Charles Barkley that said "It ain't a sport if you can drink while doing it".
But what does he know...

Trucky1008
08-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Hank Parker and Babe Winkleman have both been at the top of their sport- fishing... but I wouldnt call them athletes by any means. BBQ is a sport, you just don't need to be an athlete to compete in this sport.

Kenny Rogers
08-08-2011, 10:44 AM
While we're talking about "non-sports" I think Curling should be taken off that list too. At my house, we do the same thing on the hardwood floors, we call it "housekeeping"

BBQ, a sport? No
An art? Yes
That's why they call it "Culinary Arts"

Terry Knife
08-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Art, hobby, obsession, source of income, source of frustration, source of pride....all that and much more.

Terry Knife
08-08-2011, 10:55 AM
If you could have seen my drunk arse balancing a raw 10lb pork butt in one hand and a 16lb Brisket in the other all while chugging a cold Coors Light AND opening the sliding glass door with my foot I have no DOUBT you would say "There goes a True American Athlete" ! :-D

Sounds like you need a beer-coozy necklace...

Podge
08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I can’t consider it a sport if the winners and losers are based solely on the perception and opinions of judges. If BBQ competition is a sport, so should Miss America.

jrbBBQ
08-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Who really cares? All I know is that I enjoy it and I am always trying to improve.

PimpSmoke
08-08-2011, 05:16 PM
My Facebook page says iBQ'n is a professional sports team, and we all know Facebook is always right.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/IBQn/147722865263697

Damn, mines a non-profit. Guess I missed the boat on that one!

early mornin' smokin'
08-08-2011, 05:25 PM
personally I believe sports in general do a huge disservice to this country. Children idolize these idiots, and what do they do, drown dogs! Being a pit master is a sport just as much as devoting your entire life to any sport is. If you had the chance to be paid millions to just do one thing, even if you didn't know the first thing about it, chances are, you'd get pretty good at it. What sport do you need to stay awake and coherent for days on end, tending to fires and meats. Standing on your feet tirelessly for hours. All the while enjoying some adult beverages, which some people consider to be a sport in and of itself.

Alexa RnQ
08-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I can’t consider it a sport if the winners and losers are based solely on the perception and opinions of judges. If BBQ competition is a sport, so should Miss America.
And figure skating. And rhythmic gymnastics.
And men's synchronized diving.

mmmmeat
08-08-2011, 05:35 PM

and free style ski jump, and snowboarding, and freestyle motocross...( xgames ish) and pro freestyle skate boarding....and women's synchronized diving

Ryan Chester
08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Who gives a fark. Its fun! At least it should be fun!

Alexa RnQ
08-08-2011, 06:08 PM
And there you have it. Sports aren't about fun. Nobody plays purely for the love of the game anymore.

Lake Dogs
08-08-2011, 06:12 PM

I see a new ancillary category: team synchronized diving

Alexa RnQ
08-08-2011, 06:13 PM
I'd pay good money to see your average BBQ team in speedos.

ZILLA
08-08-2011, 06:38 PM
I'll send you a picture Diva! ;) it's not my fault if you fall in love! :)))))

swamprb
08-08-2011, 11:01 PM
I am currently in training for my yet undecided facial hair expression category.

‪Whisker Wars Trailer‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfLiZup6PCY)

Not a hair out of place....on my back!

My hobby is winning!

Brewer
08-08-2011, 11:10 PM
My name is in the Alcohol of Fame. I've retired and given up competitive drinking, and moved into Competition BBQ.

And I picked up right where you left off :icon_devil

LongTong
08-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Synchronized swimming should not be an Olympic sport nor any for that matter...:laugh:

PimpSmoke
08-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Synchronized swimming should not be an Olympic sport nor any for that matter...:laugh:

You must have a couple of titles under your belt, :heh: