PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Membrane from Costco Baby Backs

VinSanity480
08-05-2011, 10:16 PM
I've been tryin' like hell to separate the membrane from some baby backs I just bought from Costco. I even watched a video or two, or three on Youtube on how to pull 'em with no luck. I did some searching around and found some posts about how the ribs at Costco supposedly already have the membranes pulled. Any truth to this? I bought the vacuum packed ribs that come three to a pack.

Black Dog BBQ
08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
It is true sometimes the membrane is not there. When in doubt just cookem! My trick is to use the end of a spoon to work my fingers under the membrane, then when I have my index and middle fingers all the way across I pull up. A paper towel helps with the little pieces you miss. Oh, I forgot, I start at about the 4th bone from the end.

Moose
08-05-2011, 10:23 PM
The few times I bought BB ribs from Costco I was sorely disappointed, so never went that route again. As I recall though, they did have a membrane and like other ribs, had no problem removing it.

My tool of choice to facilitate the process is an icepick, as the pointed end easily slips under the membrane and then I can move it back and forth to create a large enough "pocket" to slide a finger under to then peel it back to the other side of the rib.

Can you tell if there is actually a membrane on the ribs? If it does, you will see a thin, shiny coating over the back, which is the membrane. If you don't, and you can actually see portions of meat exposed between the ribs, then it's been removed.

Hopefully this helps, I'm sure there will also be additional insights other Brethren will offer...

sincitydisciple01
08-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Sometime between last fall and this spring, Costco changed up their bb's and started pulling (or scraping or whatever) the membranes. The first batch I got, I spent more time than I willing to admit, trying to remove a membrane that wasn't there. Lesson learned: wear my glasses when prepping ribs!

NorthwestBBQ
08-05-2011, 10:49 PM
The membrane is not there.

HB-BBQ
08-05-2011, 10:50 PM
The ones our Costco has been sellling from Swift for the last few months already have it removed. If you are not sure you can always make 3 big X's with a knife from top to bottom of the rack which will make any remaining membrane pull away while cooking.

Chopjaw
08-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I use a butter knife and start somplace toward the middle and work my way to the ends. As far as quality from Costco. I've never had a problem with their meat. It's alwasy been top knotch.

NorthwestBBQ
08-05-2011, 11:11 PM
You can plainly see the mebrane.

azmark
08-06-2011, 12:47 AM
It's been a while since I've purchased The Costco baby backs but they do not have the membrane. The spares do though.

Blackened
08-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Yep, the Swift baby backs at Costco that come 3 to a pack already have the membrane removed..

It drove me crazy the first time too

VinSanity480
08-06-2011, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the replies... This is my second time with them and last time I thought I just had a lot to learn. Tonight I spent about 45 minutes practically destroying a rack trying to remove the phantom membrane :doh:. Oh well, lesson learned.

Al Czervik
08-06-2011, 04:27 AM
I've been down that route too brother... I for one don't miss the membrane on the Costco ribs!

Untraceable
08-06-2011, 08:41 AM
every now and then they dont get it all but its a quick clean up

Bbq Bubba
08-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Why remove the membrane?
Leaving it on makes for a moister product & is easily removed after cookin. :thumb:

kwmjd
08-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Sometime between last fall and this spring, Costco changed up their bb's and started pulling (or scraping or whatever) the membranes. The first batch I got, I spent more time than I willing to admit, trying to remove a membrane that wasn't there. Lesson learned: wear my glasses when prepping ribs!

Been there, done that.

Carbon
08-06-2011, 11:20 AM
I just score them and cook them.

Frank Grimes
08-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Are you sure they aren't skinned already?

mbshop
08-06-2011, 06:56 PM
one day my wife was prepping some spare ribs. i could hear her mumbling from the kitchen. after a while she called me and was complaining about the ribs with some colorfull language. said she couldn't pull the membrane. i looked and told her there was no membrane. so one rack had it and one didn't. i don't think she stopped using some interesting language for the rest of the day.:laugh:

swamprb
08-06-2011, 07:15 PM
You obviously do not have the Costco Executive Membership!

They switch out the ribs with membranes on them for those that have the Gold Star card - that's why when you show up at 10 AM, the ribs in the meat case are all picked over and nothing left but shiners with the membranes left.....

...membership has its rewards!

Pitmaster T
08-06-2011, 08:07 PM
I've been tryin' like hell to separate the membrane from some baby backs I just bought from Costco. I even watched a video or two, or three on Youtube on how to pull 'em with no luck. I did some searching around and found some posts about how the ribs at Costco supposedly already have the membranes pulled. Any truth to this? I bought the vacuum packed ribs that come three to a pack.

As mentioned many times here... whenever submitting sinew questions please include the UPC code (bar code) on the cryovac and/or the shipping UPC and Plant number.... we will send the request through arbitration board (which is much faster than the mail days because we have those new facilmile machines and within 5 business days you will have your answer.

The Grill Sergeant
08-07-2011, 12:47 AM

I have found that there are 2 membranes... if you pull both, you will have bones falling out because there is nothing to hold them in... Simply, I use a salad fork on one corner of the rib to separate the upper membrane from the lower and grab a paper towel to strip it from the lower membrane. Usually it's a one-strip pull. Takes 10 seconds.

DirtyDirty00
08-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Yep, the Swift baby backs at Costco that come 3 to a pack already have the membrane removed..

It drove me crazy the first time too

HA!!! This solves my problems!!! For 2 years ive been cookin costco ribs. I keep trying to remove the 'membrane' and i go nuts. each time i just end up saying 'screw it, i wont remove costco membranes'... whenever i cook other ribs the membrane comes off easily. so this solves my mystery.

thanks all!!!

plethoraofpinatas
08-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Why remove the membrane?
Leaving it on makes for a moister product & is easily removed after cookin. :thumb:

Gotta disagree with you on this one brother! I've done a side-by-side test and could not tell the difference in moisture between the two. You definitely DO create a barrier to getting smoke/spice into the meat between the ribs on the back side.