PDA

View Full Version : Selling pork online, advice is apprecaited

backporchbbq
08-02-2011, 06:29 PM
I am thinking about selling pulled pork online. I know that I would have to pack and ship in dry ice. Does anyone do this? I live in PA and I don't know how to get started. I heard that I need to send my food to a lab to get the nutritional facts, is that true? Do I need to get insurance or licensed by the the government? Since I am clueless any help would be appreciated.

Also when selling it how do people usually do it? Do you sell by the pound and if so do you have a limit that needs to be ordered? What price is reasonable for selling?

chad
08-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Check for certification and licensing. Selling meat through the mail is a whole different world than vending some at a festival or selling some from a roadside stand.

Quantity of sale? You have several options. Pounds or quarts...the main thing is determine how much is a "portion".

YMMV!!

mikerobes
08-02-2011, 07:12 PM
It just doesn't seem logical IMHO. If the market was there, I would assume the big players would be in it. However, I admire your forethought. Sometimes, out of the box thinking is successful. All the best of luck and success to you.

El Lobo
08-02-2011, 07:28 PM
This link has a bunch of guys who ship BBQ. Really only talks about their product and logistics, not the business itself. But at least you get an idea of who is doing and how/when they ship.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/19/earlyshow/contributors/bobbyflay/main618520.shtml

Smiter Q
08-02-2011, 07:29 PM
"Economy of Scale" would indeed be an important factor. Meaning, I would think there would have to be a minimal poundage to offset the sting of overnight shipping, insurance, dry ice, etc. You did not mention your set up for cooking, whether you have a license for a commercial product either. Very creative idea, though a lot of work and figuring the numbers has to be forefront.

chad
08-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Just for grins, go to http://www.dryiceinfo.com/shipping.htm for a quick look at shipping using dry ice.

I forgot to say in my first post, "Good luck".