PDA

View Full Version : Please help me understand my comment card

Three porks
08-02-2011, 02:47 PM
This was the first comment card I've recieved for ribs and it was for an 8-7-7.

It says: Fat is dripping from the meat and fat is not rendered. I guess that statement confuses me. How is the fat not rendered if it's dripping?

I don't want this to come off like I'm complaining. I actually really appreciate the comment card, but I'd like tp be able to use this comment to improve.

QansasjayhawQ
08-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Sounds to me like the judge means that the fat has not completely rendered out of the rib and they thought that it could be more rendered than it was.

However, it also shows that this judge could not follow instructions or didn't listen.

Here's a link to the CBJ instructions that are played at each judge's meeting:
http://www.kcbs.us/downloads/judges.mp3

(You have to be logged in with your KCBS account to gain access to the recording.)

The comment cards are to be used for any scores below a 6 Any score of 6 or higher speaks for itself.

Also, comment cards are to convey constructive comments to help you improve.

An example of a constructive comment in this case would have been something along the lines of 'You should cook your ribs a little bit longer so that more of the fat is rendered out.'

Otherwise a new cook may be left wondering 'Yeah, so what should I do about it?' when presented with comments such as you received.

I hope this helps.

mobow
08-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Sounds to me like the judge means that the fat has not completely rendered out of the rib and they thought that it could be more rendered than it was.

However, it also shows that this judge could not follow instructions or didn't listen.

(You have to be logged in with your KCBS account to gain access to the recording.)

The comment cards are to be used for any scores below a 6 Any score of 6 or higher speaks for itself.

An example of a constructive comment in this case would have been something along the lines of 'You should cook your ribs a little bit longer so that more of the fat is rendered out.'

Otherwise a new cook may be left wondering 'Yeah, so what should I do about it?' when presented with comments such as you received.

I hope this helps.
I have to disagree. I think that the judge that gave you that comment card is your friend. He is saying your rib was greasy. He may not know why it is that way but he is giving you some very valuable information so you can look at your process and see what you need to do to fix the problem. No where in the instructions does it say anything about a 6 not needing a comment card. It says a positive score and I hate to see sixes on my score card. The reps usually clarify when they talk to judges and say a 9 does not need one but any other score is at the discretion of the judge if he thinks he can give you some helpful info. I would love comments on 6 and 7 scores if it helps me know what I need to do to get a 9. keith

QansasjayhawQ
08-02-2011, 04:45 PM
I have to disagree. I think that the judge that gave you that comment card is your friend. He is saying your rib was greasy. He may not know why it is that way but he is giving you some very valuable information so you can look at your process and see what you need to do to fix the problem. No where in the instructions does it say anything about a 6 not needing a comment card. It says a positive score and I hate to see sixes on my score card. The reps usually clarify when they talk to judges and say a 9 does not need one but any other score is at the discretion of the judge if he thinks he can give you some helpful info. I would love comments on 6 and 7 scores if it helps me know what I need to do to get a 9. keith
That's true, you're right. Normally it's the KCBS Rep. that says during his/her comments in the judge's meeting that any score 5 or lower needs a comment card.

I don't think the judge was being his enemy - I just think the judge needed to be more clear so that it didn't confuse Three porks. Constructive comments make things clear as to what is needed to improve.

sitnfat
08-02-2011, 05:39 PM
If it was judge #5 I would disregard it he doesn't know what good BBQ is. Atleast the #5 that gets my stuff :becky:

SaucyWench
08-02-2011, 07:26 PM

Actually, in my area anyway, we are often specifically instructed not to try to tell the competitor how he or she should have cooked the entry. Too salty, too greasy, over-or-under-cooked, tough, mushy, bland or too spicy, but not "you should cook it like this."

boogiesnap
08-02-2011, 08:04 PM

I hope this helps.

not so sure of this my friend.

i don't think we need a judge to tell us HOW to COOK our food better.

i'd look for and like more like:

not tender enough, too tender.

too spicy, too sweet or not for both.

that seems to me more constructive.

stuff like that would help. a judge determining i need to cook longer to render fat is kinda useless.

bam
08-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Lucky you got a comment card.

Jeff_in_KC
08-02-2011, 10:38 PM
So, the rendered fat dripping off, which I refer to as a "juicy rib", was a bad thing? Hmmm...

Crash
08-03-2011, 01:46 AM
Not to diss the judges, but I've personally read some bizarre comment cards.....and I've heard about even more.

I wouldn't put an over-abundance of weight on a judge's comments, unless they truly are straight forward and make sense.

NRA4Life
08-03-2011, 05:22 AM
How were the scores from the other 5 judges...did they fall in line with this one that provided you a comment card? If the other 5 scored it higher, I wouldn't worry too much about the one judge, they may have just gotten a rib that was more fatty than the rest of the rack.

Lake Dogs
08-03-2011, 06:35 AM
This was the first comment card I've recieved for ribs and it was for an 8-7-7.

It says: Fat is dripping from the meat and fat is not rendered. I guess that statement confuses me. How is the fat not rendered if it's dripping?

I don't want this to come off like I'm complaining. I actually really appreciate the comment card, but I'd like tp be able to use this comment to improve.

I agree with keith (mobow). I'm glad you were able to get a comment card. I wish more 7's would take a moment to write even the simplest of comments.

Good luck down the road.

Three porks
08-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks to everybody that took time to respond.

The scores are as followed:

898 767 998 877 999 999 they finished 3rd in Taylorville, IL

The ribs that I turned in are from the same rack.

Three porks
08-03-2011, 08:07 AM
So, the rendered fat dripping off, which I refer to as a "juicy rib", was a bad thing? Hmmm... That's exactly what I was thinking when I got the card. It just made me more confused but I want to take advantage of this comment. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that.

Again I really do appreciate that the judge took the time to write out a comment card. I just want to use this information to improve. My best guess is the 2 judges got the fattier/straighter part of the spare rib. Maybe I need to cook this area a touch longer. I remember cutting through the area and seeing the juices flowing out of the meat. It looked great.

mobow
08-03-2011, 08:13 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking when I got the card. It just made me more confused but I want to take advantage of this comment. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that.

Again I really do appreciate that the judge took the time to write out a comment card. I just want to use this information to improve. My best guess is the 2 judges got the fattier/straighter part of the spare rib. Maybe I need to cook this area a touch longer. I remember cutting through the area and seeing the juices flowing out of the meat. It looked great.

Being primarily a judge and a occasional cook I hate to say this but, the other possibility is the judge has lost his mind. Once you get the comment card only you can decide if it is valid or not. Hope you nine em across the board next time. keith

Three porks
08-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Being primarily a judge and a occasional cook I hate to say this but, the other possibility is the judge has lost his mind. Once you get the comment card only you can decide if it is valid or not. Hope you nine em across the board next time. keith

Thanks Keith, you know the heat index was well over 100F, maybe some of the judges were getting a little loopy.

QansasjayhawQ
08-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Actually, in my area anyway, we are often specifically instructed not to try to tell the competitor how he or she should have cooked the entry. Too salty, too greasy, over-or-under-cooked, tough, mushy, bland or too spicy, but not "you should cook it like this."
So in Three pork's case, the comment would have been 'too juicy'? That doesn't make much sense . . .

Oh well -
Judges are coached to be helpful with their comments if they can. Because I also cook, I can help with suggestions . . . but the cook certainly doesn't have to do what a judge suggests. They can throw the comment card away if they want to - that's up to them. Or they can choose to look for comments that help them improve. That's each cook's choice.

boogiesnap
08-03-2011, 08:27 AM
So in Three pork's case, the comment would have been 'too juicy'? That doesn't make much sense . . .

Oh well -
Judges are coached to be helpful with their comments if they can. Because I also cook, I can help with suggestions . . . but the cook certainly doesn't have to do what a judge suggests. They can throw the comment card away if they want to - that's up to them. Or they can choose to look for comments that help them improve. That's each cook's choice.

well, in your case, because you DO cook as well, a comment card could certainly have some culinary merit.

not sure about the field of judges at large though.

can a comment card be corralated to the judge who gave it? i.e judge 5 scores 8 6 6-comment card salty, too tough.

boogiesnap
08-03-2011, 08:29 AM

Oh well -

also...to me "juicy" is flavored water content from the meat itself(or chemically induced by injection):roll:. not dripping fat.

all in all, the OP's comment card makes no culinary sense and therefor useless, but at least the judge tried. :thumb:

comfrank
08-03-2011, 10:08 AM
can a comment card be corralated to the judge who gave it? i.e judge 5 scores 8 6 6-comment card salty, too tough.

On the comment card, the judge is supposed to write down the three scores s/he gave. So unless there are two judges that gave 866 (say), you know which one it was.

--frank in Wilson, NY