PDA

View Full Version : Are 6" Pneumatic Casters adequate?

The Cosmic Pig
08-02-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm having a couple of portable kitchens fabricated. I will roll them in and out of an enclosed trailer. I will be mounting a Backwoods Competitor on one, on the other an FEC - 100. Are 6" pneumatic casters adequate for the job? Also, which end should the swivels be mounted on, the heavy or lighter end? I'm guessing the heavy end, but I'd like to hear the opinions of others that have done something similar. Thanks, y'all!

Matt_A
08-02-2011, 12:43 PM
From the point of view of a person who spent most of his adult life moving things in and out of USAF cargo planes, I'd think that you would want the fixed wheels on the heavy end. If the swivels were on the heavy end you run a huge risk of the whole unit going sideways off the ramp. Once that large mass starts moving sideways, you're going to play hell getting it to stop and then go straight again. As far as what size... that will depend on how heavy the unit is and what sort of transitions you have from the ground to the ramp and then onto the trailer.

The Cosmic Pig
08-02-2011, 12:52 PM
From the point of view of a person who spent most of his adult life moving things in and out of USAF cargo planes, I'd think that you would want the fixed wheels on the heavy end. If the swivels were on the heavy end you run a huge risk of the whole unit going sideways off the ramp. Once that large mass starts moving sideways, you're going to play hell getting it to stop and then go straight again. As far as what size... that will depend on how heavy the unit is and what sort of transitions you have from the ground to the ramp and then onto the trailer.

Matt, would that (the fixed casters on the heavy end) still apply if I were going to steer from the heavy end? That's what I had in mind, so I should have said it! :roll: