PDA

View Full Version : Wood just arrived with holes from bugs. Safe to use?

low and slow
08-02-2011, 10:10 AM
I just received a shipment of Pecan wood and upon opening the box noticed that the wood has little holes in it where it appears to have been eaten/nested in by ants or termites. However, There arent any bugs in the box, nor in the wood anymore.

Is there any reason to be concerned about using this wood?

Thanks.

Harbormaster
08-02-2011, 10:36 AM
The hickory I cut in my area is full of them too. It's what kills the tree.
I burn it.

Fatback Joe
08-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Unless the wood is just plain rotten, I would use it.

low and slow
08-02-2011, 10:57 AM
:thumb: thanks guys!!

hey, fatback we're pretty close in prox. I grew up in Spfld and live closer to Boston now.

Fatback Joe
08-02-2011, 11:08 AM
:thumb: thanks guys!!

hey, fatback we're pretty close in prox. I grew up in Spfld and live closer to Boston now.

Yeah, not too far. I grew up in Phx, AZ, big change. :becky:

NRA4Life
08-02-2011, 11:12 AM
I would not use that wood if I were you. Box it up, send it to me, and I will dispose of it safely.

twinsfan
08-02-2011, 11:52 AM
:D haha ^

[TX]Aceboy
08-02-2011, 01:20 PM
I would not use that wood if I were you. Box it up, send it to me, and I will dispose of it safely.

:clap2:

wnkt
08-02-2011, 04:20 PM
If there isn't fine powdery wood dust in the box too, the bugs are gone. The dust is an indication of the bug eating the wood and they came out looking for more. So if you see dust, look for the ones with the holes and get it away from other wood. Those are Powder Post Beetles.
When I was doing picture framing we had several sticks of molding come in that had them in it and we were scared they would get in all our other wood.

caseydog
08-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah, it is more of a storage issue than a cooking issue. If there are still live bugs in the wood, they will spread. They won't cause any cooking issues, as they will just burn up with the wood with no effect.

Just try to store the wood someplace where bugs can't get access to water. If you raise the wood off the ground, you can spray the ground below, and any bugs still alive will die when they go to ground for water.

CD

Timmy
08-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Hmmmm...... smoked powder post beetles :shock: . I think I'll pass :puke: .