PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis in a couple weeks

afreemaniii
08-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Looks like I'm heading to St. Louis August 17-19 and I could really use some advice on where to get some great bbq. Someone else who can't be considered a real bbq expert recommended Pappy's. Should I listen to him?

Thanks in advance. Aubrey

Ashmont
08-01-2011, 04:20 PM
PM sent!

chambersuac
08-01-2011, 06:27 PM
come through Manito, IL on your way home!!! My son will cook for ya :)

mjl
08-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Looks like I'm heading to St. Louis August 17-19 and I could really use some advice on where to get some great bbq. Someone else who can't be considered a real bbq expert recommended Pappy's. Should I listen to him?

Thanks in advance. Aubrey
If you can choke down your own cooking, you should have no problem enjoying Pappy's

beckerclc
08-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Pappy's is our BBQ of choice from a local St. Louisan.
They also have a sister location called Bogarts found here http://bogartssmokehouse.com/ but I have yet to try it. They are more of lunch place and close around 4.

beckerclc
08-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Just found out that bogarts is staying open later on Fridays and Saturdays for Dinner.

Let us know what you think.

Ashmont
08-12-2011, 12:53 PM
PM me if you want to meet for some grub. I am cooking Back to school bbq Sat eve Burgers dogs and Moink but you prolly already left.

afreemaniii
08-16-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm hitting up Pappy's for dinner tonight. I'll post a review when I get back to the hotel. Thanks for the input.

Ashmont
08-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Oh Yeah dont invite me!!!!!

Bill-Chicago
08-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Looking forward to the review.

NT Hole sent me some Pappy's in a sauce trade or something years back.

afreemaniii
08-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Pappy's was great. Got there a little earlier than I thought we would because the guys I picked up at the airport wanted to eat right away, so we arrived around 5:00. Another guy and I decided to split an Adam Bomb. That dish consists of one rack of ribs, one brisket sandwich, one pork sandwich, 1/4 chicken, and four side dishes. Oh, wait, that would have been a Big Ben. The Adam Bomb also include a hot link Frito chili pie. There should be three pictures below the post. One of the outside, one of the food before we dug in, and one of the aftermath.

Everything was delicious. The ribs were amazing. Slightly sweet, a touch of pepper, and perfectly cooked. By far the best ribs I've had at a restaurant. The brisket was moist and slightly smoky. Their rub comes off as being "basic". It reminds me more of a Texas brisket rub than what I use at competitions. Sometimes going back to basics pays dividends. The pork was also moist, but didn't have as much smoke flavor to it. I also didn't have a lot of bark in mine, but it was still good. The chicken was a big surprise. Again, the meat was very moist and had a great flavor. A lot of times chicken will come out a little on the dry side, but definitely not at Pappy's. The Frito chili pie was also good. Unfortunately the guy I split this with ate all the hot links, but he said they were good. For side we had the baked beans, green beans, sweet potato fries, and applesauce. All of the sides were good. The green beans were a surprise treat, but the sweet potato fries were the bomb. Great fry on the them with a great dusting of some sugar concoction that put them over the edge.

They serve three sauces. Original, sweet baby jane, and hot. All three were good. I liked the hot on the brisket and the original on the pork. The sweet baby jane was good on the chicken. The ribs didn't get any sauce at all. They don't need it!!

Overall I say that if you make it to St. Louis, then you have to make a stop at Pappy's. We got lucky and got there before a line formed and before they ran out of any product. This place is great. Seriously, this place is worth a six hour drive to eat this fantastic barbecue.

Sorry Ashmont about not calling you for Tuesday night. I wasn't sure what time the guys that were flying in wanted to have dinner. I think I'll make a drive down to St. Louis in the future just to eat here again and we'll see if we can do something.

beckerclc
08-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Glad you enjoyed and I did not let you down on the recommendation.

yes the sweet potato fries are a must have side.