PDA

View Full Version : How many ribs should I cook

mikerobes
07-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Planning a party with Ribs and sides, Ribs are the only meat. Expecting around 25 young adults, big eaters I'm afraid. How many slabs of Spares should I cook, or baby backs, I haven't decided which. I don't want to run short. Thanks for your input
Mike

PorkQPine
07-30-2011, 12:37 AM
10 racks of spares should feed the young hungry crowd. Make sure you have the ribs at the end of the line and cut the ribs in individual bones. Don't let them serve themselves, put two on each plate, some will want three and with 10 racks available it will still be enough for everyone if they come back for seconds.

Matt_A
07-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Most importantly... ^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said... "Don't let them serve themselves".... 40 slabs wouldn't be enough then.

Oldyote
07-30-2011, 02:35 AM
I'd say it depends on how generous you are feeling. I think 10 might be enough but they might be licking the left over bbq sauce. 12 to 15 should might keep them from saucing their fingers. I suppose it also depends on how long they are sticking around. If they are around more than a couple of hours they will likely ask you if there are any ribs left.

Bbq Bubba
07-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Half rack per person.

landarc
07-31-2011, 12:25 PM
If the budget is not yet set, then 1/2 rack of ribs per person, trimmed. I would allow guests to serve themselves. But, I would use a smaller chafer and put out limited amounts throughout service. I do not like to run out of food, so I often cook more than I need and either let them go at the end of the event or check with owner about whether they want them or not.