PDA

View Full Version : Time to gear up for battle....

Matt_A
07-28-2011, 04:59 PM
(also posted in Organizer's Round Table Forum) I do not normally cross post.

I just got an e-mail from my boss saying that my proposed BBQ cookoff faces significant hurdles in being hosted at the USPS training center in Norman, OK. She sounded like she was saying they weren't going to pursue it. :tsk: I have asked her to detail the hurdles so I can judge whether or not I can rework the plan to jump those hurdles. It does not appear to be a flat out NO, since she used the word 'hurdles' in her e-mail. To me a hurdle is something you have to put out extra effort to jump. I'm prepared to jump as high as I can to see if I can clear every hurdle! I want to do this event! :mad2:

boogiesnap
07-28-2011, 07:15 PM
good luck with your battle!

landarc
07-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Matt, do what you must, but, when your boss tells you that you must leap those hurdles, it means you must go hard and beat em down. But, if corporate says it looks like there are some hurdles, it means, no. Still, no great goal was ever achieved accepting a no.

MilitantSquatter
07-28-2011, 07:54 PM
With all the financial issues facing US Postal Service, I can possibly see why this would might not be a good idea on the surface.

How would this contest on site benefit USPS ?

Matt_A
07-28-2011, 09:27 PM
The site is the national training site. We serve up training to postal and non-postal customers. We also have a 1000 room hotel, conference areas, meeting rooms, high-technology classrooms, conference support services, you name it, we've got it. Our facility trains on everything from diesel trucks to elevators, HVAC, postal sorting equipment, advanced Cisco Network training, team building....

An event like this would provide thousands of people, many of which are business owners, a chance to tour the facility and get a good idea of wha t w e could possibly provide them. On the hotel side, I plan on using a federal holiday week for the event, this is when our utilization is at its lowest. This can bring hotel customers in and give the hotel and it's food services a big boost during a slow week.

The plan is to find enough sponsors to pay for all the services the facility will provide. Our marketing team already has a bunch of sponsors that have expressed an interest in providing cash, goods and services. So the event would bring outside money in and benefit the center's bottom line a bit.

Since the postal service receives no tax dollars and is tasked with being self-supporting, can bring non-postal money in whenever possible.

rookiedad
07-29-2011, 09:10 AM
sometimes "significant hurdles" is just a nice way of saying roadblocks. did she detail what the hurdles were yet. i never did anything like that but if i had to guess i would say it might be an insurance issue.

Matt_A
07-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Did not get any feedback today from the administration. Maybe something Monday. If not I'll request a face-to-face meeting.

crd26a
07-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Matt - don't go in ready for a fight. Go in at ease, listen to the reasons and propose to come back with an overall plan of the benefits. If you go in combative, "ready for battle" you'll be done before you start

Matt_A
07-29-2011, 09:21 PM
crd26a, Not a problem... I survived 20 years in the USAF, I know how to play the game , usually get what I want, and make them think it was their idea. :o)