PDA

View Full Version : Why don't BBQ competitions pay REAL money???

snyper77
07-21-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm new to Q, but one thing I've noticed is that competitions (on average) don't pay squat!

A few examples.....I was watching Pitmasters and they were saying "this is a big competition and draws people from all over, blah blah" and some of the main characters drove 1200 miles to compete.

The woman on the show (from Wood Chicks BBQ) won 5th place overall. You know what she got paid? NOTHING. $0.

Another example: I've heard that the Jack Daniels competition in TN is a major event. I just read a story on their website where the 2010 winner was paid $5000.

Now lets be honest here, $5000 is a nice payday, sure, but look at the PBR Bullriding guys.....some of those comps pay $200,000. Then you've got Bassmaster tournaments that pay $100,000+.

Again, I know nothing about BBQ - nothing. But I know "dollar amounts" and I'm pretty sure the payouts have a lot to do with sponsors and their checkbooks. If so, isn't it time that KRAFT, REYNOLDS WRAP, McCORMICK, KINGSFORD, APPLE JUICE MAKERS, ETC. start supporting these competitions a little better? I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

Lake Dogs
07-21-2011, 12:54 PM
It would be nice, for certain.

I dont think we're even close to this for many MANY years to come, not until there's a TV audience for it.

In the mean time, seek out the DegaQue's & others with larger payouts. I try to find the competitions with more than $10,000 payouts; hopefully $15,000 and higher.

AUradar
07-21-2011, 01:00 PM
the big teams probably get paid via endorsments.

that Wood Chicks BBQ is sponsered by Green Egg, at least in part.

Ole South Jack has books out, his on smoker line, and offers classes. At the price of his class, he makes more on it than comps I bet.

But the comps is what allows him to do that.

snyper77
07-21-2011, 01:16 PM
It would be nice, for certain.

I dont think we're even close to this for many MANY years to come, not until there's a TV audience for it.

In the mean time, seek out the DegaQue's & others with larger payouts. I try to find the competitions with more than $10,000 payouts; hopefully $15,000 and higher.

I just did some hard looking online for DegaQue 2011 and there's not one word, nowhere about it. Discontinued???

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 01:19 PM
I would watch bull riding and fishing on tv any day. BBQ is boring to watch

Fatback Joe
07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
I just did some hard looking online for DegaQue 2011 and there's not one word, nowhere about it. Discontinued???

Maybe, it was a Smoke on the Water Productions event if I am not mistaken, and don't see it listed for 2011.

http://www.smokeonthewaterbbq.com/

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Maybe, it was a Smoke on the Water Productions event if I am not mistaken, and don't see it listed for 2011.

http://www.smokeonthewaterbbq.com/

First time I've seen. Judges list posted http://www.smokeonthewaterbbq.com/2011-events/orlando-fl-august-26-27.html

WhiskeyBentBBQ
07-21-2011, 01:41 PM
DidN't Ron Cates already try to do that this year. He put $125K in prize money up and paid out 50 places in each category. For all that promotion and effort, 95 teams showed up. That type of turn out for that type of money is not creating an environment where promoters are going to take the risk. Don't get me wrong, the venue could have been more centrally located and more teams probably would have came but at the end of the day, the opportunities are there but not for long if participation doesn't ramp up!

DawgPhan
07-21-2011, 01:44 PM
I think that there are a couple of things are work keeping the paydays down.

Most of the products used are small companies.

Teams are fairly standoffish about the products they use.

Most teams view those who attend contests with contempt.

There are no spectators. No one to buy the products the teams used.

Teams running around telling anyone who will listen that comp bbq isnt something they would eat at home. While I know what the point is there, for the layman, they have to think why would I want to do that at home if they wouldnt.

BBQ needs the teams to be sponsored by the sauce and rub companies and for those teams to proudly fly that flag. They also need to allow people attending a contest to connect a winning team with a product that they can use at home.

But have no fear people are working hard to make these connections, but it just takes time.

Arlin_MacRae
07-21-2011, 01:46 PM
I would think a lot of the PBR prize money is generated by paying audiences. As much fun as comps are for teams & judges, I can't see an arena full of spectators! :)

txschutte
07-21-2011, 01:54 PM
MY wife would probably agree that cowboys/cowgirls in tight jeans are much more appealing than seeing me in a sweaty, greasy t shirt with a beer in hand.

indianagriller
07-21-2011, 01:58 PM
DidN't Ron Cates already try to do that this year. He put $125K in prize money up and paid out 50 places in each category. For all that promotion and effort, 95 teams showed up. That type of turn out for that type of money is not creating an environment where promoters are going to take the risk. Don't get me wrong, the venue could have been more centrally located and more teams probably would have came but at the end of the day, the opportunities are there but not for long if participation doesn't ramp up!

I agree, not a great turn out by any means, but and I know you guys competed in it, but for me to get out there, my equiptment, everything it would have been way more expensive than any payout I might have recieved. By not traveling to Vegas I was able to add 5-6 more local competitions to my schedule.

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 02:09 PM
BBQ spectator

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j447/r2bq/b4b1c3ec.jpg

landarc
07-21-2011, 02:14 PM
MY wife would probably agree that cowboys/cowgirls in tight jeans are much more appealing than seeing me in a sweaty, greasy t shirt with a beer in hand.
Aren't your jeans getting tighter?

I used to go to Rodeo and PBR events and I bet they make their money from Wrangler and Chevy, those big events on t.v. are heavily sponsored. And do not forget, for each of those events, there are many many small events that you never hear about that pay almost nothing.

Would you rather get $250 and a belt buckle for cooking a steer, or riding a bull with his package strapped and pinched to his belly?

huminie
07-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Money comes from sponsors. Sponsors want their brand shown in front of as many people as possible. There just aren't enough eyeballs on a bbq contest to justify the $$ needed to create big paydays. Under current formats it just doesn't make for a good spectator sport.

Also, the sport isn't very well organized. For example...that $125k contest above...the promoter chose a weekend that had 2 major comps in the state next door that drew about 70 teams away from his event. With a little better planning he could have gotten the numbers up quite easily. Not all 70 would travel, but a lot would have without the conflict.

deepsouth
07-21-2011, 02:53 PM
i've never competed nor have i been to any comps outside of MIM, but it appears that the bbq world is factioned off into lots of little pieces rather than one large sanctioning body. maybe if there weren't so many factions, it would be easier to "grow the sport", resulting in larger paydays and better perks for competing?

rookiedad
07-21-2011, 02:58 PM
in order to draw sponsors there needs to be something that draws an audience and audiences like sports. if bbq would hope to attain these types of paydays it needs to be adjusted to appeal to this mindset. i have been comparing bbq to bass fishing for quit some time because they figured out how to turn it into a sport there are bass fishing millionaires and you can't even watch them in person. imho in order to do this , turn in times must be staggered so fans can root their team on throughout the competition. it might take ten hours to complete but if turn in times were staggered you could have at least four buzzer beater tick downs in one show that could be editid into one hour, and i think people would watch that. this would have to be a "sportsman series'' or something like that. i would be interested in filming a demonstration competition in this format just for reference. alot of credit must go to John Markus for progressing competition barbeque in this direction and bringing it to the masses. :clap:

Plowboy
07-21-2011, 03:21 PM
BBQ spectator

Or a Mets fan.

Plowboy
07-21-2011, 03:26 PM
I can honestly say that 98% of the time, I never know the payouts of a contest. If you are doing it for the money... find another way to make money!

PBR or Bass Fishing level money will change Comp BBQ forever. The cook will be come like the driver in Nascar. The driver ain't the team, they are just a tool. As a cook, you'll have to audition to be on a team owned by some fat cat who is backing the whole operation.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but the point is that unless you have deep pockets, you won't be able to be competitive in a big money BBQ sport. Just like in racing, big money wins more than loses.

DawgPhan
07-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Money comes from sponsors. Sponsors want their brand shown in front of as many people as possible. There just aren't enough eyeballs on a bbq contest to justify the $$ needed to create big paydays. Under current formats it just doesn't make for a good spectator sport.

Also, the sport isn't very well organized. For example...that $125k contest above...the promoter chose a weekend that had 2 major comps in the state next door that drew about 70 teams away from his event. With a little better planning he could have gotten the numbers up quite easily. Not all 70 would travel, but a lot would have without the conflict.

There are plenty of eyeballs at most contests, there just aint nothing to look at.

Also I dont think that the Vegas contest competing with west coasts contests is a great example of poor organizing. Well at least not because of the other contests. If that contest is basically anywhere else in the country it draws double the teams without batting an eye no matter the weekend.

El Lobo
07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
BBQ spectator

That's awesome!!! :rofl:

TooSaucedToPork
07-21-2011, 03:54 PM
There are contests with big money...

Memphis in May - every year over 250 teams and a prize purse of over $110,000

1st place in each pork catagory (Ribs, Whole Hog, Shoulder) gets $8,000
Grand Champion $16,000

rookiedad
07-21-2011, 04:05 PM
the 2010 worlds chili champion made $25,000.00! :shock:
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/life/stories/2010/10/07/chili-chef-pockets-25000-prize.html?sid=101

Scottie
07-21-2011, 04:27 PM
I am pretty sure the majority of teams in bbq would take a Jack GC and not care of they won a dime...

Scottie
07-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Or a Mets fan.

Probably a Cubs fan that was overserved at one of the awesome bars in Wrigleyville. Who needs a winning team when we have good bars?:roll:

deepsouth
07-21-2011, 04:44 PM
I am pretty sure the majority of teams in bbq would take a Jack GC and not care of they won a dime...

i agree with this. bbq contest organizers probably realize this as well.

rookiedad
07-21-2011, 04:48 PM

the original question stated was why don't bbq competitions pay any real money. perhaps this is the simple answer. maybe teams really don't care. i thought it was odd that the thread went so many replys without anyone saying "it ain't about the money, it's about having fun".
i also would be happy to take any GC and not win a dime, but... $25,000.00 would be nice! :becky:

chad
07-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Bass Fishing is closer to the possible relationship between competitors and sponsors...however, Bass Boats, Motors, Rods, Reels, etc. are bought in HUGE numbers by the average Joe's that want to emulate KVD. I don't see people lining up to by a $46K BBQ trailer rig (think bass boat) or $150 worth of rub, sauce, gloves, tongs, etc. Hell, it's a slow day when I get out of Bass Pro Shop for less that $150.

It may happen but BBQ just does not generate the revenue of other sponsored "sports".

Big Mike
07-21-2011, 05:04 PM
There are plenty of eyeballs at most contests, there just aint nothing to look at.

Also I dont think that the Vegas contest competing with west coasts contests is a great example of poor organizing. Well at least not because of the other contests. If that contest is basically anywhere else in the country it draws double the teams without batting an eye no matter the weekend.

You are right, last year when it was held in Little Rock, it did. There were about 240 teams.

Rich Parker
07-21-2011, 05:05 PM
When you live in areas that don't have many comps, you need to look at the money just to see if it is possible to recoup some of your investment. Hard to justify driving 5+ hours, taking a day off of work, and spending over $500 when the purse is only $3000.

I definitely don't have the resources to drive 30+ hours to Las Vegas for $125,000 purse.

indianagriller
07-21-2011, 05:12 PM
When you live in areas that don't have many comps, you need to look at the money just to see if it is possible to recoup some of your investment. Hard to justify driving 5+ hours, taking a day off of work, and spending over $500 when the purse is only $3000.

I definitely don't have the resources to drive 30+ hours to Las Vegas for $125,000 purse.

We will team up next year Rich!

DawgPhan
07-21-2011, 05:12 PM

there are probably 500 or so sanctioned BBQ contests each year and they aint all the Jack.

If there wasnt any prize money in BBQ there would be a lot less teams and a lot less contests.

Take your average 45-50 team contest with 10k in prize money. You might have 4-5 teams actually break even for the weekend. 1 or 2 take home decent money for a weekend and be able to cover the next contest.

It would be nice if 10-12 teams out of 50 could reasonably think they could break even on a weekend. I think that could only help grow BBQ.

Another $1000 in prize money at a contest like that and you could pay $50 to 11-15 in each category and make sure that those teams are coming back. Splitting that $1k between category winners and grand champions isnt even going to move the needle.

Right now BBQ couldnt support more than a handful of huge purses, but it sure would be nice to get a little of that trickle down going with the rest of them...

And I will save someone the trouble go ahead and mention that yes I want everyone to get a trophy and a ribbon and a pat on the back for just showing up. Also I am not good enough to win a contest so I would be nice if the organizers would just go ahead and make sure that I feel loved by giving me a $50 bill for showing up. We need to make BBQ more like t-ball where everyone gets a trophy for playing. That way no one's feelings get hurt and we can all be friends.

DawgPhan
07-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Bass Fishing is closer to the possible relationship between competitors and sponsors...however, Bass Boats, Motors, Rods, Reels, etc. are bought in HUGE numbers by the average Joe's that want to emulate KVD. I don't see people lining up to by a $46K BBQ trailer rig (think bass boat) or $150 worth of rub, sauce, gloves, tongs, etc. Hell, it's a slow day when I get out of Bass Pro Shop for less that $150.

It may happen but BBQ just does not generate the revenue of other sponsored "sports".

I think that your average backyard cook would buy a rub or sauce if he knew that it was used by winners. The fishing stuff is a much better analog than the over used NASCAR.

ClayHill
07-21-2011, 05:21 PM
And I will save someone the trouble go ahead and mention that yes I want everyone to get a trophy and a ribbon and a pat on the back for just showing up. Also I am not good enough to win a contest so I would be nice if the organizers would just go ahead and make sure that I feel loved by giving me a $50 bill for showing up. We need to make BBQ more like t-ball where everyone gets a trophy for playing. That way no one's feelings get hurt and we can all be friends.

Your being sarcastic right?

bmanMA
07-21-2011, 05:24 PM
I see a lot of people at the larger comps. Most of them come up to me and want some ribs. A few want to talk Q, but the majority want to sample "competition Q". And at most comps I can't oblige, as much as I'd like to.

They are there to scarf some bones, down some beers, walk around a bit, then go home. Cannot imagine this being a spectator sport!

Look at what they tried with Pitmasters. First season, they show the Q circuit. Didnt work for them, so they went to a freakin' Chopped format (not sure that worked either).

Rich Parker
07-21-2011, 06:27 PM
We will team up next year Rich!

iB Smoke Break'n

Smoke Break Q'n

We might have to work on the team name. :thumb:

Smokin' Joe
07-21-2011, 06:33 PM

I'm confident Ronnie Cates had very little to say about the date selected for the event, when your working with a large multi-billion dollar corporation planning an event at a place that hosts thousands of events a year I'm sureyou're working with very few dates they provide

tony76248
07-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Might as well get my two cents in.....

When I am cooking a contest, I hate to be bothered by folks who have a million questions. The day before when no cooking is going on, I will chat but there is no one there to chat with. Then the day of the cooking the folks start rolling through, I get into that zone where my wife even knows to stand back. I don't mean to be cranky, but I take this seriously just like anything else I do.

All said, I would think cook-offs should be for cooks and the spectators should stick to the things they do as a hobby.

speedrcer1
07-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Or a Mets fan.

I hate say this as a Mets fan. I think that is the old Shea stadium!

yelonutz
07-21-2011, 09:38 PM

Sha-wing Dude! I've been in Cozad. That sounds like a highlight!!

NUTZ

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 09:43 PM
I hate say this as a Mets fan. I think that is the old Shea stadium!

Yep u got it

boogiesnap
07-21-2011, 10:45 PM
could be the new shea stadium too. :roll:

DawgPhan
07-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Might as well get my two cents in.....

When I am cooking a contest, I hate to be bothered by folks who have a million questions. The day before when no cooking is going on, I will chat but there is no one there to chat with. Then the day of the cooking the folks start rolling through, I get into that zone where my wife even knows to stand back. I don't mean to be cranky, but I take this seriously just like anything else I do.

All said, I would think cook-offs should be for cooks and the spectators should stick to the things they do as a hobby.

Exactly why BBQ contests dont pay the big money. If there are 50 teams at a contest there are at least 40 teams that view spectators with contempt. I dont really blame the teams though. They paid their money and want to take the cooking part seriously. Most organizers do a really terrible job of managing the relationship between team and spectator.

Until that relationship gets figured out, there simply cant be big money in BBQ. Right now the money in BBQ is basically whatever money the dead money brings to the table whether it is through contests, classes or buying rubs and sauces. BBQ is just consolidating the dead money into the pockets of a few teams.

Plowboy
07-22-2011, 09:00 AM

And at the same time, it seems bitter sweet to win a world championship and walk away with pocket change.

"I won the Jack and all I got was this lousy t-shirt." :becky:

I heart emoticons!

rookiedad
07-22-2011, 09:20 AM
And at the same time, it seems bitter sweet to win a world championship and walk away with with pocket change.

"I won the Jack and all I got was this lousy t-shirt." :becky:

I heart emoticons!

competition barbeque is much more popular than chili i think, and far mor expensive (this i know for a fact). my brother competes in chili competitions and his kit consists of a 10X10, a table, a hot plate and a pot. this being said, is anyone in the know enough to be able to explain why the chili champ makes $25,000.00?. if so, perhaps we could apply some of what they're doing to what we're doing.

JD McGee
07-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Yup...in a heartbeat! :thumb: Most folks I know cook for braggin' rights and the thrill of a walk...last I checked...braggin' rights don't pay diddly! :becky:

Plowboy
07-22-2011, 09:30 AM
competition barbeque is much more popular than chili i think, and far mor expensive (this i know for a fact). my brother competes in chili competitions and his kit consists of a 10X10, a table, a hot plate and a pot. this being said, is anyone in the know enough to be able to explain why the chili champ makes $25,000.00?. if so, perhaps we could apply some of what they're doing to what we're doing.

Does the chili get distributed to the public? If so, does the promoter get a gate fee?

Jorge
07-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Does the chili get distributed to the public? If so, does the promoter get a gate fee?

I've dabbled in chili cookoffs, and $25k is not the norm. I could believe that for Terlingua, but there are some serious CASI cooks here that would know much better than I do.

G$
07-22-2011, 11:58 AM

I'll bet Reynolds Alluminum Foil and Kingsford charcoal both out gross the best selling bass boat manufacturer. I get your point, but I think that may be a narrow view of the problem.

Side tangent, on the average in season weekend, how many BBQ comps happen? Same for PBR events, how many on one weekend? I honestly don't know the answer here.

DawgPhan
07-22-2011, 12:20 PM
I'll bet Reynolds Alluminum Foil and Kingsford charcoal both out gross the best selling bass boat manufacturer. I get your point, but I think that may be a narrow view of the problem.

Side tangent, on the average in season weekend, how many BBQ comps happen? Same for PBR events, how many on one weekend? I honestly don't know the answer here.

probably 25 or so sanctioned BBQ events each weekend during the summer.

smalls65
07-22-2011, 12:21 PM
I can honestly say that 98% of the time, I never know the payouts of a contest. If you are doing it for the money... find another way to make money!

PBR or Bass Fishing level money will change Comp BBQ forever. The cook will be come like the driver in Nascar. The driver ain't the team, they are just a tool. As a cook, you'll have to audition to be on a team owned by some fat cat who is backing the whole operation.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but the point is that unless you have deep pockets, you won't be able to be competitive in a big money BBQ sport. Just like in racing, big money wins more than loses.

I agree with Plowboy!! Big money being invloved changes things...Just look at how screwed up NASCAR is now...I think that "BIG MONEY" will corrupt BBQ and drive away the "small-time" teams like mine and thousands of other teams across the country that do it for the thrill of hearing their name called at the awards ceremony!!! The days of a no-name team shockin the world and knocking off one of the big-dawgs at a contest by winning GC/RGC would probably be a thing of the past...Let comp BBQ stay what it was meant to be....people coming together that are NUTS about cookin Q' who wanna have some fun!!! :thumb:

G$
07-22-2011, 12:23 PM
probably 25 or so sanctioned BBQ events each weekend during the summer.

Do we know how many PBR events are on a given weekend in season? (Is there a PBR 'season'?

Jorge
07-22-2011, 12:26 PM

Competition BBQ isn't nearly as spectator friendly. As for your other point, Reynolds, Kingsford etc. almost all certainly have a much smaller margin per unit sold and require tremendous volume to see a return on investment.

I just haven't seen a model yet that can support the investment required in terms of sponsorship to really change the game. Sam's has come the closest, but I don't see that as being a realistic model to change competition BBQ as we know it today. In terms of product sold to teams, and marketing value I suspect Sam's will break even or come out ahead on the series as it exists this year. I don't think you could expand it exponentially and expect the same return though.

boogiesnap
07-22-2011, 12:27 PM
watching BBQ may be boring as others said, but box building in the last 5-10 minutes is pretty exciting.

it works for chopped.(although i think even that prize is only 10K)

if that could be left intact and filmed properly, could make for some good TV. tack on a few start-up shots with teams that actually use kingsford, stubbs, RO, whathaveyou, pepper in some middle shots foiling with reynolds and you might have a real winner.

the only downside is the box itself would have to be seen, and thus competitive edge and aninimty would be lost.

boogiesnap
07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I agree with Plowboy!! Big money being invloved changes things...Just look at how screwed up NASCAR is now...I think that "BIG MONEY" will corrupt BBQ and drive away the "small-time" teams like mine and thousands of other teams across the country that do it for the thrill of hearing their name called at the awards ceremony!!! The days of a no-name team shockin the world and knocking off one of the big-dawgs at a contest by winning GC/RGC would probably be a thing of the past...Let comp BBQ stay what it was meant to be....people coming together that are NUTS about cookin Q' who wanna have some fun!!! :thumb:

yeah, there's also this^^^^^which i really kinda agree with.

riblette
07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
My $.02:
It’s all about sponsorships. And with sponsorships it’s all about ROI. Companies, organizations, etc. are hesitant to kick in sponsorship money (i.e. a portion of their advertising budget) unless they are relatively certain they are going to reap a return on their investment.

If you look at event sponsorship as advertising, the companies have to evaluate the potential exposure (i.e. how many people is the advertising reaching), and what % of that target audience will buy their product. Our contests generally reach a very small audience, and have minimal media exposure and Reynolds needs to sell a lot of boxes of aluminum foil to cover a $25k contribution to the prize pool.

Bigmista
07-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Two things about comps here in California.

1. Most are linked to another event like a festival or car show. Sponsors are more likely to jump on board if there are guaranteed eyes there.

2. A lot of comps have a people's choice component. That gives teams a chance to recoup some of their expenses by selling their extra meat and it gets people nvolved because they get to taste competition bbq and vote for their favorite and pull for them at awards..

Podge
07-22-2011, 12:55 PM
BBQ contests don't pay squat if you get your butt handed to you. They pay good when you cook good..

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-22-2011, 01:50 PM

With the majority of comp teams located east of the Mississippi and gas prices as high as they are the turn out doesn't shock me.

G$
07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Competition BBQ isn't nearly as spectator friendly
I definitely agree.

As for your other point, Reynolds, Kingsford etc. almost all certainly have a much smaller margin per unit sold and require tremendous volume to see a return on investment..

Margin is not relevant. What is the annual ad spend for Reynolds vs. That bass boat maker.

I just haven't seen a model yet that can support the investment required in terms of sponsorship to really change the game.
it is out there somewhere. Whether anyone finds it and seizes the opportunity....I am not sure. I DO think the SAMs series is a definite step in that direction.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-22-2011, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=riblette;1720021]My $.02:
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]It

TooSaucedToPork
07-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Just as any sport there are small contests and large contests.

Rodeo - every little town has a rodeo with a little money, then there are county fairs with more money, then state fairs with a bigger purse, then you have the PBR with a bunch of cash where you have the best of the best competing.

Auto Racing - Same as above little dirt tracks, then county tracks, then regional, then national...

BBQ - Small contests every weekend (town rodeo), then State contests (state fair rodeo), then the national contests like the Jack, Royal, Sam's Series, Memphis in May, the Texas Rodeo (PBR)...

You gotta remember Rodeo, Bass Fishing, NASCAR, etc have been followed as sports for generations. In the BBQ Meccas - Memphis, Kansas City, the Carolinas, Texas - Contests are decades old and are followed by generations...In the rest of the country BBQ is a relatively new sport. As chefs become the new athletes (Thank You Food Network!) You will see bigger and bigger payouts.

I am 33 years old and have been doin Competition BBQ for most of my life. I have seen an explosion in contests and contest payouts. Wait a few years, the money will catch up to the sport...

Neil