PDA

View Full Version : norwalk/westport connecticut

rookiedad
07-21-2011, 10:47 AM
i'm trying to get a competition in in sertember, of the two... are there any preferences.

boogiesnap
07-21-2011, 10:52 AM
well one is KCBS and the other is unsanctioned. should start there with your decision making.

i'm signed up for norwalk. (kcbs)

edit: they are both sanctioned, westport is backyard, norwalk is "pro". (let's not get started on that one....:roll:)

sorry for the misinformation.

rookiedad
07-21-2011, 11:05 AM
they are both state championships on the kcbs site, how could that be?

boogiesnap
07-21-2011, 11:11 AM
:thumb:

see you there. :-D

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Westport is run with kcbs along with kcbs reps and judges but it is one day grilling. Chicken, ribs, chef choice and a separate iron chef category. I heard something a bit odd about Norwalk. Peoples choice is mandatory otherwise if you don't you have pay a fee for NOT doing it. Can anybody confirm this rumor?

Sawdustguy
07-21-2011, 11:17 AM
If that is true, that is assinine.

boogiesnap
07-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Westport is run with kcbs along with kcbs reps and judges but it is one day grilling. Chicken, ribs, chef choice and a separate iron chef category. I heard something a bit odd about Norwalk. Peoples choice is mandatory otherwise if you don't you have pay a fee for NOT doing it. Can anybody confirm this rumor?

yes, you have to participate in 1 of the PC's. clam chowder or chili, or there is a $50 fee.

edit on the westport...sanctioning must have been added since i last looked. but it is stated as a backyard/amateur event.

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 11:23 AM
If that is true, that is assinine.

Agreed, you get penalized for not wanting to do it or maybe not having enough cooker space?

boogiesnap
07-21-2011, 11:28 AM
free labor or pony up.

kinda silly IMHO.

Jacked UP BBQ
07-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Silly not to do it. The prize money is great and does not interfere with other turn ins.

boogiesnap
07-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Silly not to do it. The prize money is great and does not interfere with other turn ins.

agreed, and i am doing 1 of them and will have fun with it.

BUT,

it's kinda silly that you MUST or PAY.

i realize why they do it like that, but i'm just sayin'.

Muzzlebrake
07-21-2011, 11:49 AM
free labor or pony up.

kinda silly IMHO.

be careful this seems to be a trend here in NEBSland. I have heard that Harvard doesn't even give you a choice, the PC is mandatory.

Meat@Slim's
07-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Regarding Norwalk People's Choice; you do, I believe, have the option of bringing in your chili or chowder from home.

Regarding Westport as a State Championship; Don't read into what KCBS posts, this was a State Championship in 2009 and KCBS probably has never changed that info. When I contacted KCBS to send them my proclamation for Lexington, MA they already had me listed as a State Championship.

See you in Norwalk!

ique
07-21-2011, 11:53 AM

This seems to be a trend. I believe Harvard, MA is charging higher entry fees if you opt out of ancillary events

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 12:13 PM

Your such a BBQ fag

wickedbbq'r
07-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Agreed, you get penalized for not wanting to do it or maybe not having enough cooker space?

They want you to do it because the money raised from the ticket sales from people choice goes to a charity for abused kids. So, if you don't do it the can use the "penalty fee" towards it. Also, for the clam chowder they give you the clams.

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 12:35 PM
They want you to do it because the money raised from the ticket sales from people choice goes to a charity for abused kids. So, if you don't do it the can use the "penalty fee" towards it. Also, for the clam chowder they give you the clams.

I do more than m fair share of charity activities as well as donations throughout the year. I don't need to be muscled into it. If it were a suggestion I could understand. If I need to be guilted in to something I don't need an organizer to do it, I could go just stop by my moms house :icon_blush:

wickedbbq'r
07-21-2011, 12:38 PM
As far as I can tell from the westport website, this year no pro-am, no iron chef, only a backyard contest. Not sure why it's on the NEBS calender?

Jacked UP BBQ
07-21-2011, 01:39 PM
I do more than m fair share of charity activities as well as donations throughout the year. I don't need to be muscled into it. If it were a suggestion I could understand. If I need to be guilted in to something I don't need an organizer to do it, I could go just stop by my moms house :icon_blush:

Stop by your moms??? Dont you still live with your mom?

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 02:24 PM

Well somebody's gotta do my laundry and cut the crust off my pb &j

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 02:26 PM
As far as I can tell from the westport website, this year no pro-am, no iron chef, only a backyard contest. Not sure why it's on the NEBS calender?

Just noticed that. Ive got a call in to bob. At Greenwich he said their was a Pro category.That would suck, it's the only place I'm good at:icon_blush:

wickedbbq'r
07-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Just noticed that. Ive got a call in to bob. At Greenwich he said their was a Pro category.That would suck, it's the only place I'm good at:icon_blush:

If you could please let me know what he says. It would be nice if CT had more than two contests a year.

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 05:14 PM
If you could please let me know what he says. It would be nice if CT had more than two contests a year.

I know it will never be a two day full out contest evr again. Wasn't worth the expense. Didn't draw. We are an expensive bunch to host.

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 06:15 PM

As of right now no pro division.might change but slim

Muzzlebrake
07-21-2011, 10:03 PM

that really means "go downstairs"

Born2Smoke
07-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Well somebody's gotta do my laundry and cut the crust off my pb &j

Dont forget about the crust on your underwear too....

deez butts
07-22-2011, 04:18 PM

A buddy of mine is pondering adding KCBS to the chili cook off he runs in Somers CT. It's April 28th and 29th in 2012 and pulls roughly 50 or so chili cooks from around the country. He doesn't know much about KCBS and I don't know anything about how KCBS events are run. If you know someone who could give him a hand with how the KCBS aspect of a comp is run it would be much appreciated.

Sledneck
07-22-2011, 04:36 PM
A buddy of mine is pondering adding KCBS to the chili cook off he runs in Somers CT. It's April 28th and 29th in 2012 and pulls roughly 50 or so chili cooks from around the country. He doesn't know much about KCBS and I don't know anything about how KCBS events are run. If you know someone who could give him a hand with how the KCBS aspect of a comp is run it would be much appreciated.

Fba!!! http://www.flbbq.org/main.htm