PDA

View Full Version : North East Teams - Sauce

motoeric
07-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Hi,

I know that this has been discussed before, but I seem to remember a lot of opinions that were anecdotal.

Are there any teams in the NY, CT, NJ, RI area that have tried vinegar based sauces on their pulled pork in comps? If you have, did it tank as would be assumed?

I realize that you should keep within the parameters of what is winning and go with what appeals to the most judges. I'm just curious to see if anyone has actually tried a Piedmont or North Carolina sauce and how it did.

It could just be me, but I much prefer a vinegar based sauce with pork. The vinegar just seems to pull the natural flavor of the pork to the forefront. It's surprising to me (maybe just my narcissism) that the judges don't see it that way.

Eric

smalls65
07-21-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm from NC love NC style vinegar sauces...I cook mostly in NC and SC but would NEVER....I repeat...NEVER...put a vinegar sauce on my pork for comps...I have a buddy that tried it in his 1st year of cookin and never tried it again (he got burned severely by the judges!!!)....So I could'nt speak for teams up north, and I hate to assume things. But I'd bet there aren't too many teams up north trying it in comps....Just my $.02!! :thumb:

boogiesnap
07-21-2011, 09:46 AM
please do, at any comp i'm at along with you. :becky:

naw, seriously, i wouldn't even think about it for a second.

Sledneck
07-21-2011, 10:16 AM
I always use a vinegar sauce mixed with some reg sweet kc sauce and have had a few walks with it

widespread
07-21-2011, 10:50 AM
We've used Tennessee Red mixed with SBR and some other stuff and had some success with it.

Lakeside Smoker
07-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Are there any teams in the NY, CT, NJ, RI area

I'd tell you, but I'm from Mass. :-D

Muzzlebrake
07-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Tenn Red is on the bestseller list @ nebbqstore.com

Westexbbq
07-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Brian and I aka, Ma's Que Crew just did last weekend at Troy. Our pork finished 21st I believe and we knew it was a gamble.
I have been tweaking an eastern carolina type sauce that has a bit more sweetness to it and think it might do a lot better, we hope to try it again soon.

smalls65
07-21-2011, 01:03 PM
We've used Tennessee Red mixed with SBR and some other stuff and had some success with it.

Ditto what he said...now I will use BH Tennessee Red/SBR/BH regular also and had a couple of calls in pork, but it's not the traditional NC/Piedmont vinegar...It had more of a thick/sweet/tangy vibe to it...Hope that helps!!! :thumb:

motoeric
07-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.

A quick follow up. For those that have used a more vinegar based sauce (or an amalgamation), do you use that for all of the pork in your turn in box or do you vary it depending on selection?

For example, I could see using a sauce heavily influenced by vinegar on the pulled pork, but using a thicker sauce on slices or cubes (for the visuals as much as anything).

Thanks again,

Eric

Scottie
07-22-2011, 12:16 AM
It took me about 4 years.. Blues Hog, tennessee red and maple syrup...

Jacked UP BBQ
07-22-2011, 09:56 AM
our sauce has a lot of vinegar in it

Big Mike
07-22-2011, 09:07 PM
My first year I tried a vinegar and tomato sauce that has a nice vinegar bite but not too much. It bombed. Unfortunately, sweet is king in comps.

I used it on everything in the box.

Pelkster
07-23-2011, 01:11 AM
I've only done two turn ins, but I use an everythign sauce, vinegar-ketchup-mustard sauce. My last comp I finished in 15th, which was a huge improvement from my so-low-I-don't-remember score from my first comp. It's got a nice mellow flavor and the vinegar isn't too overpowering. Plan on using it all the comps I go to.

QansasjayhawQ
07-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the input everyone.

A quick follow up. For those that have used a more vinegar based sauce (or an amalgamation), do you use that for all of the pork in your turn in box or do you vary it depending on selection?

For example, I could see using a sauce heavily influenced by vinegar on the pulled pork, but using a thicker sauce on slices or cubes (for the visuals as much as anything).

Thanks again,

Eric
Good topic, Eric -

I've used Blues Hogs Tennessee Red with honey and apple cider vinegar as the dressing for pulled pork and won pork at the Topeka, KS Hy-Vee last year. Of course there were a lot of other factors that go into that (cherry splits in the cooker, for one), but that's what I've basically stuck with.

As a judge, I find it frustrating when I have to judge samples from the same entry that are very different from each other. It confuses my brain and I wind up averaging all the meat together, rather than scoring up because the slices were better than the pulled, for example.