PDA

View Full Version : Brisket slicer - First look

Slamdunkpro
07-19-2011, 11:12 PM
After 5 months of development, Wusthof delivered the prototype of my design for along brisket slicer last week and I had a chance to test it at Que and Cruz

Here's the pic.

http://aporkalypsenowbbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Slicer-profile.jpg

It's a 34 cm (14") thin slicer with double hollow grinds and a radiused blade. For all the gory details pop over to the Aporkalypsenow Web page (http://aporkalypsenowbbq.com/?p=177).

In action
http://aporkalypsenowbbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/slicer-slicing.jpg

No price point or availability date has been set at this point but it won't be long.

JimmyDAL
07-20-2011, 06:05 AM
Nice!

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Looks great. I want one.

How did they seek your input?

Smiter Q
07-20-2011, 06:45 AM
Quality item.

Muzzlebrake
07-20-2011, 07:11 AM
Looks great. I want one.

How did they seek your input?

^+1

how did you get them to design a knife for you? Do they have a custom shop or something?

Warthog
07-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Impressive looking blade.

Slamdunkpro
07-20-2011, 08:53 AM
^+1

how did you get them to design a knife for you? Do they have a custom shop or something?

I approached them with the design; I cold called Wusthof in Germany and pitched it as a untapped market oppurtunity. They were very receptive.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-20-2011, 09:35 AM
I approached them with the design; I cold called Wusthof in Germany and pitched it as a untapped market oppurtunity. They were very receptive.

Impressive initiative on your part!

Westexbbq
07-20-2011, 09:37 AM
^^^^^^^^^
ditto that,
nice going!

huminie
07-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Could you tell us why this is better than a more traditional 12 inch slicer?

Convince me I need one. :becky:

Slamdunkpro
07-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Could you tell us why this is better than a more traditional 12 inch slicer?

Convince me I need one. :becky:

Well,,,,,,

It's 2 inches longer than than a 12 so you can get through a brisket flat in one draw cut. The advantage to the radius is that the whole blade edge isn’t engaging the object to be sliced at the same time allowing for even less drag, yet still making a continuous cut with no “saw marking”.

The other plus to the radius design on the blade is that when you make a draw cut (pull the blade toward you) the physiology of your arm causes your elbow to lift up, causing you to change the angle of attack of the blade. On a straight traditional slicer you either end up cutting with the very tip of the blade or break your wrist to allow the blade to remain flat, reducing your leverage. The radius blade allows you to maintain maximum leverage by not having to break your wrist while the cutting edge still tracks parallel to the food.

How's that?

deguerre
07-20-2011, 10:15 AM
How's that?

Why, brilliant, I'd say.

Kenny Rogers
07-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Very nice! Gotta like a specialty knife! The only thing I'd say it's missing is a slicing guide to get your slices exactly uniform! :)
Way to market!

Ron_L
07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Well,,,,,,

It's 2 inches longer than than a 12 so you can get through a brisket flat in one draw cut. The advantage to the radius is that the whole blade edge isn’t engaging the object to be sliced at the same time allowing for even less drag, yet still making a continuous cut with no “saw marking”.

The other plus to the radius design on the blade is that when you make a draw cut (pull the blade toward you) the physiology of your arm causes your elbow to lift up, causing you to change the angle of attack of the blade. On a straight traditional slicer you either end up cutting with the very tip of the blade or break your wrist to allow the blade to remain flat, reducing your leverage. The radius blade allows you to maintain maximum leverage by not having to break your wrist while the cutting edge still tracks parallel to the food.

How's that?

I was wondering the same thing. thanks for the explanation. I'm using a 14" straight slicer now and I like the length. I guess i really didn't notice that I ended up using the tip of the blade near the end of the stroke. I'll have to pay closer attention. Keep me posted on the availability. I'm always interested in new knives :-D

monty3777
07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Looks neat. I can't wait to try one! This could be good for their business, especially if the edge can hold the kind of shaprness that allows for a one pull cut. I'd be interested to hear how it holds the edge. Can you keep giving us updates? :)

BoneDaddy's
07-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Nice Knife...One comment, the dimples on the blade are incorrectly placed. They are designed to strengthen the edge of the blade and should extend to the blade edge. Most knife companies incorrectly utilize this feature. I found this out from the former CEO of Wustoff who now works for Stoddard Knife in Boston. he was at a contest sharpening knives for the teams.

monty3777
07-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Nice Knife...One comment, the dimples on the blade are incorrectly placed. They are designed to strengthen the edge of the blade and should extend to the blade edge. Most knife companies incorrectly utilize this feature. I found this out from the former CEO of Wustoff who now works for Stoddard Knife in Boston. he was at a contest sharpening knives for the teams.

What? If by dimples you mean the scallops that people refer to as a granton edge, if you extended those down to the edge of the blade sharpening would be nearly impossible - or at least it would render the knife useless after two or three sharpenings. Once the bevel extends up into the dimple the width of the edge would be paper thin. In reality the granton dimples are more of a marketing tool, as they are never deep enough to do what they are marketed as doing, which is to keep food from sticking.

timzcardz
07-20-2011, 11:32 AM
. . .the dimples on the blade are incorrectly placed. They are designed to strengthen the edge of the blade and should extend to the blade edge.

As a structural engineer for 3 plus decades, I have never specified removal of steel to strengthen a beam.

So I have to ask, how do the dimples strengthen the blade?

landarc
07-20-2011, 11:39 AM
That is a beautiful knife and it makes great sense. A couple of my favorite slicers have multiple arcs comprising the blade edge, which makes cutting so much easier. That slicer design makes perfect sense.

I am still undecided on the Granton edges on a thin slicer, but, they certainly work fine.

Slamdunkpro
07-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Looks neat. I can't wait to try one! This could be good for their business, especially if the edge can hold the kind of shaprness that allows for a one pull cut. I'd be interested to hear how it holds the edge. Can you keep giving us updates? :)

I've cut it a couple of different ways looking at just this issue. I asked them to spec the steel hard enough that it would hold a 15-16 degree bevel without the edge rolling over. So far it seems to be doing just fine. It came with a 17 degree edge; I tried that then I took it down to 15 and cut with it a bit. I then did a compound bevel 15 with a 20 degree point. Both go thru like butter but I'm leaning toward the compound edge as it's going longer between steelings.

I've got a big charity cook this weekend and I'll give it a real workout then.

Slamdunkpro
07-20-2011, 12:04 PM
That is a beautiful knife and it makes great sense. A couple of my favorite slicers have multiple arcs comprising the blade edge, which makes cutting so much easier. That slicer design makes perfect sense.

I am still undecided on the Granton edges on a thin slicer, but, they certainly work fine.

I was undecided on those as well, you can definitely feel additional drag when the blade gets in deep enough to get above the scallops - not a lot but there is some. One of the tweeks we're looking at is extending the scallops higher up toward the spine.

Keep those opinions coming!

landarc
07-20-2011, 12:16 PM
I go compound edge on just about all of my Western or double bevel knives. Is that blade polished yet? I happen to like a high level of polish on the edge and blade on a slicer, I think that helps with feel and drag.

Hogtie N' Ride
07-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Nice!
I went to a custom knife builder with a design and have a one of a kind. The only addition to what you have here was height offset handle to the blade to avoid knuckle drag on a table. I have big hands and bet my knuckles would be hitting the table causing me to change my angle of cut. Just a thought.....

I agree with the 14". 12" just wasn't enough with brisket.

The knife builder made one change to my design and did not do the dimples, he did not believe in them for a slicer, he's been making knives for 40+ years so I did not argue with him.

Nice job getting Wusthof on board! Can't imagine their knife being retailed for as much as my custom job.

monty3777
07-20-2011, 01:16 PM
I've cut it a couple of different ways looking at just this issue. I asked them to spec the steel hard enough that it would hold a 15-16 degree bevel without the edge rolling over. So far it seems to be doing just fine. It came with a 17 degree edge; I tried that then I took it down to 15 and cut with it a bit. I then did a compound bevel 15 with a 20 degree point. Both go thru like butter but I'm leaning toward the compound edge as it's going longer between steelings.

I've got a big charity cook this weekend and I'll give it a real workout then.

I suspect if it's the same x50 cr mo steel then you will have the same issues (and benefits!) of a typical German knife. Since this is a specialty knife I imagine that even if the edge is sharpened at an angle that will more easily roll, anyone with basic sharpening skills can bring it right back. I would rather resharpen knives repeatedly then have a knife that performs marginally. Again, neat knife - and thanks for the info. Makes me want to go and work on my slicers!!:thumb:

Big George's BBQ
07-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Very nice Mike I would definately be interested in something like that

Arlin_MacRae
07-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Ooh, and it's a Classic-style, too. I'm collecting those.
How do we get one??

Slamdunkpro
07-20-2011, 02:53 PM
I go compound edge on just about all of my Western or double bevel knives. Is that blade polished yet? I happen to like a high level of polish on the edge and blade on a slicer, I think that helps with feel and drag.

All the way down to 1800 polish tape - the edge is like a mirror.

Slamdunkpro
07-20-2011, 02:55 PM
I suspect if it's the same x50 cr mo steel then you will have the same issues (and benefits!) of a typical German knife. Since this is a specialty knife I imagine that even if the edge is sharpened at an angle that will more easily roll, anyone with basic sharpening skills can bring it right back. I would rather resharpen knives repeatedly then have a knife that performs marginally. Again, neat knife - and thanks for the info. Makes me want to go and work on my slicers!!:thumb:

This is a good point - I don't want to push the price point way up by having Wusthof (or me:shocked:) hand cut & polish every edge, while it needs to work well out of the box, most people are going to re cut it to their own tastes anyway.

Slamdunkpro
07-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Nice!
I went to a custom knife builder with a design and have a one of a kind. The only addition to what you have here was height offset handle to the blade to avoid knuckle drag on a table. I have big hands and bet my knuckles would be hitting the table causing me to change my angle of cut. Just a thought.....

I wanted about 10mm more heel depth for this very reason, but that would have required a retooling (big $$$). With the radius on the blade allowing me to lift my elbow I haven't hit me knuckles yet and my hands aren't small.

Slamdunkpro
07-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Ooh, and it's a Classic-style, too. I'm collecting those.
How do we get one??

Watch this space:thumb:

Big Ugly's BBQ
07-20-2011, 03:34 PM
had a close look at it over the weekend, very nice, although I would go with a thicker handle. it felt a bit like a toothpick in my paws....

/dev/bbq
07-20-2011, 07:02 PM
All the commercial blades with scalloped edges have taller scallops, so that is good feedback based on the feel in your hand.

To sell me tho, I gotta see some pics with something thinner than a 3/8" cut of brisket. Show me 1/8" and I'll be impressed... :-)

For comparison, here's my brisket knife. Kudos to anybody who can guess what it really is...

http://www.kelcomaine.com/webpics/s/sk1614_800.jpg

monty3777
07-20-2011, 07:21 PM
All the commercial blades with scalloped edges have taller scallops, so that is good feedback based on the feel in your hand.

To sell me tho, I gotta see some pics with something thinner than a 3/8" cut of brisket. Show me 1/8" and I'll be impressed... :-)

For comparison, here's my brisket knife. Kudos to anybody who can guess what it really is...

http://www.kelcomaine.com/webpics/s/sk1614_800.jpg

Looks like an old time ham slicer. The thin blade and rounded edge look like what used to be called ham slicers.

Slamdunkpro
07-20-2011, 07:36 PM

Looks like a lox (salmon) slicer.

Yeah the guy that was cutting for the pictures was cutting a little thick, but they were the only two pictures I got. I'll try and get some better ones this weekend. ( I did cut two of those slices in half on the bias after the pics)

/dev/bbq
07-20-2011, 09:30 PM
:-) nope.

Let me help a little - the blade is 16" long and the handle is 14" made of black walnut.

gtsum
07-20-2011, 09:37 PM
impressive knife..I want one

/dev/bbq
07-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Well, it's getting late and I've got to get up early, and don't want to leave you guessing. I do like your knife and would seriously consider purchasing one.

Mine is a pruning knife. Used throughout the year, but the effects not really appreciated until the Christmas holidays. I get a kick out of the reaction when I pull it out to slice the brisket - it's so long, it's almost like a sword!

This is where I picked mine up - http://www.kelcomaine.com/showitem.cfm?item=SK1614&type=P. I figured it's durable if nothing else! Sharp as a razor too!

Crazy how things can cross over from one use to another! They don't have a scalloped version tho, understandable given it's purpose, but that's definitely a plus for slicing meat.

HawgNationBBQ
07-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Nice job and nice knife. I want one!

El Lobo
07-21-2011, 08:28 AM
I like the radius idea. I was first turned on to the concept with a Japanese bread knife. It worked remarkably well compared to a conventional non-belly. I think this knife has promise. I'd like to see taller (and closer to edge) scallops, based on my experience, unless they're pretty big they really don't do much.

Keep us updated on the progress.

BoneDaddy's
07-21-2011, 08:29 AM
As a structural engineer for 3 plus decades, I have never specified removal of steel to strengthen a beam.

Not 100% sure, but it allows the edge to be thinner and stronger..I guess that is what he said!

BoneDaddy's
07-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Here is what the company says, they patented this in 1928...notice how it goes all the way to the blade edge!

http://www.granton-knives.co.uk/granton_edge_knives.html

monty3777
07-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Here is what the company says, they patented this in 1928...notice how it goes all the way to the blade edge!

http://www.granton-knives.co.uk/granton_edge_knives.html

I have a lot I'd like to say on this subject, but I realize that doing so would be a jack of this thread. I'll try and address this in another thread in the next couple of days. I'll put it in Q-talk.

Plowboy
07-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Cool.

tony76248
07-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Congrats on your getting the design approved and manufactured by the big boys. I guess this knife is more for someone who has everything. I just don't see it improving the taste and texture of the brisket. I'll stick with the electric knife that seems to work just fine in competitions. I guess I am being a little reluctant because it seems like everytime someone shows something new here on this site, everyone has got to get one. I think we all have a box or a drawer full of items that we hardly use. I used to use a 12" slicer, my main problem with that is the thing was too long to put anyplace when not actually slicing. It doesn't fit in the drawer or in the knife bag. Now with 14" it's even longer. I am just pointing this out because we need to consider the pros and the cons to any new product. Hey I have the same issues with the turkey brine injector, it's just one of those weird shaped items to store and transport considering that a syringe works just fine. Again, congrats!

big brother smoke
07-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Congrats on your getting the design approved and manufactured by the big boys. I guess this knife is more for someone who has everything. I just don't see it improving the taste and texture of the brisket. I'll stick with the electric knife that seems to work just fine in competitions. I guess I am being a little reluctant because it seems like everytime someone shows something new here on this site, everyone has got to get one. I think we all have a box or a drawer full of items that we hardly use. I used to use a 12" slicer, my main problem with that is the thing was too long to put anyplace when not actually slicing. It doesn't fit in the drawer or in the knife bag. Now with 14" it's even longer. I am just pointing this out because we need to consider the pros and the cons to any new product. Hey I have the same issues with the turkey brine injector, it's just one of those weird shaped items to store and transport considering that a syringe works just fine. Again, congrats!

I can get my 14" slicers in this bag: http://koobikit.com/

Slamdunkpro
07-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Spoke with the factory today - Looks like availability is going to be mid August. Should have a price shortly.

Podge
07-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Spoke with the factory today - Looks like availability is going to be mid August. Should have a price shortly.

I'm heavily impressed with this knife !!..:thumb:I want to get one as soon as they come out !!.. seems all issues with properly slicing a brisket have been well thought out.. Great job !

monty3777
07-22-2011, 11:14 AM

Wow, that's quick. Can't wait to grab one. I hope they make enough to accomodate the Brethren bump! :becky:

Guranimo
07-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Great idea! Can't wait to see it available to buy!

rookiedad
07-23-2011, 08:58 AM
nice knife! congratulations on your creation. i'm not sure what is ment be radius edge, but to compensate for the draw of the elbow wouldn't you need something more curved, like this?
http://www.cadcutlery.com/granton/40632.jpg

Ron_L
08-18-2011, 12:47 PM

It's mid-August... http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/jayelsea/smileys/33616-37258-23460-smiley_tap_foot.gif

:becky:

bam
08-18-2011, 01:42 PM
It's mid-August... http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/jayelsea/smileys/33616-37258-23460-smiley_tap_foot.gif

:becky:
Yes it is.

bigsapper
08-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Knock, knock, knock. Hello?

Slamdunkpro
08-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Still finalizing a couple of details. Corporate wheels move slow.

ThrilloftheGrill
08-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Thats one nice blade!

Dustaway
08-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Very nice congratulations looking forward to giving it a try out

Slamdunkpro
08-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Just got an email - apparently the factory closes down the last 2 weeks of August for maintenance and retooling (and so the employees can rest up for Oktoberfest:noidea:).

Redheart
08-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Beta tester?

Podge
08-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Just got an email - apparently the factory closes down the last 2 weeks of August for maintenance and retooling (and so the employees can rest up for Oktoberfest:noidea:).

Damn !!.. I was hoping to get one soon !.

bam
08-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Any idea what they may go for?

Podge
08-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Any idea what they may go for?

I have no idea, but looking at other knives close to that size, I'd bet around $100.

Lake Dogs
08-22-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm thinking they should send about 10 - 20 over for Brethren beta testing! ;-)

Podge
09-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Any news yet?

Slamdunkpro
09-12-2011, 06:03 PM
The US staff returns from Germany tomorrow (9/13). I will post after our conference call on 9/13 or 9/14 (depending on the Jetlag)

Podge
09-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks !

Iamarealbigdog
09-20-2011, 11:18 AM
and......

The price and availability is....:clap2:

Podge
09-20-2011, 01:40 PM
and......

The price and availability is....:clap2:

I'll be the first in line !..

Iamarealbigdog
09-21-2011, 08:02 AM
I'll be the first in line !..

This is like waiting for the Jack Bung Draw....:laugh:

BurntFinger_Jason
09-21-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm in for one of these too!

Slamdunkpro
09-21-2011, 09:31 AM
A few details:

Limited 1st run - 1500
US availability - December 1st
Price - $139 naked; $148 with the blade guard
Proceeds go to fund the Mid Atlantic BBQ Association's Q-Aid (feed the needy) program and other MABA philanthropic efforts such as Operation BBQ Relief contributions.
Purchase through the Mid Atlantic BBQ Association - We will start taking Pre-orders October 3rd - details on how forthcoming.
For those going to the Royal or the Jack - I will have 4 production samples with me at both events if you want to play with one. I'll be cooking with Jack's Old South (space #738 at the Royal). I'll be at the Royal starting Wednesday around Noon; At the Jack from Wednesday on. Shoot me an email at mfay_at_mabbqa_dot_com with your site # and we can hook up.

Many thanks to Wusthof for helping put this together.

tmcmaster
09-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Looks like a quality blade that i can't wait to get. Plus, benefitting a good cause is always a GREAT thing! Thanks Mike!!!

Durzil
09-21-2011, 01:32 PM
A few details:

Limited 1st run - 1500
US availability - December 1st
Price - $139 naked; $148 with the blade guard
Proceeds go to fund the Mid Atlantic BBQ Association's Q-Aid (feed the needy) program and other MABA philanthropic efforts such as Operation BBQ Relief contributions.
Purchase through the Mid Atlantic BBQ Association - We will start taking Pre-orders October 3rd - details on how forthcoming.
For those going to the Royal or the Jack - I will have 4 production samples with me at both events if you want to play with one. I'll be cooking with Jack's Old South (space #738 at the Royal). I'll be at the Royal starting Wednesday around Noon; At the Jack from Wednesday on. Shoot me an email at mfay_at_mabbqa_dot_com with your site # and we can hook up.

Many thanks to Wusthof for helping put this together.

Do you have pictures of the production models?

Podge
09-21-2011, 01:44 PM
After 5 months of development, Wusthof delivered the prototype of my design for along brisket slicer last week and I had a chance to test it at Que and Cruz

Here's the pic.

http://aporkalypsenowbbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Slicer-profile.jpg

It's a 34 cm (14") thin slicer with double hollow grinds and a radiused blade. For all the gory details pop over to the Aporkalypsenow Web page (http://aporkalypsenowbbq.com/?p=177).

In action
http://aporkalypsenowbbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/slicer-slicing.jpg

No price point or availability date has been set at this point but it won't be long.

Very first post is a picture.

ique
10-24-2011, 10:23 AM
I had the opportunity to test drive this knife in Lynchburg this weekend. The 1/8" slice of my middle finger that is lost somewhere in the grass can attest to its sharpness. Razor sharp and pulls through brisket and pork butts like buttah.... highly recommended.

Ron_L
10-24-2011, 10:40 AM
I had the opportunity to test drive this knife in Lynchburg this weekend. The 1/8" slice of my middle finger that is lost somewhere in the grass can attest to its sharpness. Razor sharp and pulls through brisket and pork butts like buttah.... highly recommended.

Lost in the grass or the parsley? :rolleyes: :shocked:

Sorry about the finger...

Dallas Dan
10-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Put me down for one of those. How do we preorder? The Mid Atlantic BBQ Association store link just says "coming soon".

Slamdunkpro
10-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm trying to get the store page up as we speak - unfortunately CSS isn't my native language:-P

Ron_L
10-24-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm trying to get the store page up as we speak - unfortunately CSS isn't my native language:-P

Is it anyone's? :-D

EZQ2
10-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Please hook me up, I need all the help I can get on my brisket turn in.

IowaWildHogsBbq
10-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Let me know what the site is up and running I would like one of those knives.

Kit R
10-25-2011, 06:27 AM

Makes me feel a lot better about not being able to use one of those super sexy Glestain slicers (like yours) since I'm a lefty. :-P I've been using a pre-production model for awhile and I can attest to its ease of use. Unfortunately for me, it did not contribute to a particularly outstanding brisket or pork product on Saturday. :mad2:

JD McGee
10-25-2011, 06:39 AM
I was fortunate enough as well to use one of Mike's knives on Saturday...it was amazing. It was lighter than it looked, very well balanced, easy to handle and sharp as a razor. It took very little effort to slice our brisket in to the perfect sample sizes...no jagged cuts at all. I highly recommend it as well! Thanks again Mike!

ique
10-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Here is a video using the knife to take down a mangalitsa pork neck roll. It was ice cold, and I had cooked it with a pastrami crust. The knife needed to be super sharp in order to keep the crust from crumbling...

Untitled on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/31079224)

musicmanryann
10-25-2011, 07:41 AM
I know what just made its way to the top of my Christmas list. Very nice!

Plowboy
10-25-2011, 12:06 PM
My Wusthof 14" slicer needs replacing. I'm ready to order. Especially before the end of the year. (Needs some 2011 deductions.)

VA BBQ PIRATES
10-25-2011, 05:50 PM
We took this knife for a test drive this weekend in Woodstock VA. This is one sharp knife! It easily slices through ribs, pork and brisket (fingers too! I'm with ya Chris). It cuts so well I was almost tempted to turn in paper thin slices of brisket. After seeing my scores I think I should have - couldn't have scored much worse.
I'm keeping mine. If you're looking for a slicer that really slices this one will do it.

Tom

Boshizzle
10-25-2011, 07:35 PM
This is the knife I have been waiting for. Can't wait for it to be available.

Ken V
10-25-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm in on this knife!

Prairie Smoke
10-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Wow... that video says it all right there... I'm in.
:clap2:

Here is a video using the knife to take down a mangalitsa pork neck roll. It was ice cold, and I had cooked it with a pastrami crust. The knife needed to be super sharp in order to keep the crust from crumbling...

Nordy
10-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Looks great... I'm ready to order too!

Slamdunkpro
10-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Only thing holding me up is I can't get the store web app to sync with the CC processor.:mad2:

Ron_L
10-27-2011, 04:53 PM
How about paypal? Would that be easier?

Slamdunkpro
10-27-2011, 05:03 PM
How about paypal? Would that be easier?
I want Paypal to be an option, but I want to do CC processing as well. My IT guy is coming by this weekend so hopefully we'll get it resolved.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-28-2011, 06:57 AM
I want Paypal to be an option, but I want to do CC processing as well. My IT guy is coming by this weekend so hopefully we'll get it resolved.

do MABA members get 1st shot at these knives?

Podge
10-28-2011, 09:43 AM

With 1500 to be produced, I'd hate to think anyone on the brethren would not have a shot to get one.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-28-2011, 09:47 AM
With 1500 to be produced, I'd hate to think anyone on the brethren would not have a shot to get one.

dont mind me..Im just tring to boost the MABA membership.

Boshizzle
10-28-2011, 09:48 AM

I doubt it. I have been a member for a couple of years and I can't think of a single benefit I get from it.

Plowboy
10-28-2011, 10:04 AM

So the answer is yes... along with 1499 other people. :becky:

Slamdunkpro
10-28-2011, 10:26 AM
So the answer is yes... along with 1499 other people. :becky:
*Ahem* 1495 thank you very much:boxing:

To answer Sal's question - yes, but with 1500 on the way and 250 MABA members I don't think it'll be a problem for the Brethren. I am going to post the info here for a couple of weeks before we run the ads in the National BBQ News, Bullsheet and some other pubs.

Carpetride
10-30-2011, 05:44 PM
I've been keeping a watchful eye on this thread! Hope your IT guy hurries up :-)

JD McGee
10-31-2011, 09:19 AM
I wanted to bring home the "demo" that Mike let me use at the Jack...but I got the "no more toys till after property taxes are paid look" from my wife...lol! It will definitely be on my Christmas list though! :thumb:

https://sn2files.storage.live.com/y1pQu-1JYRD3dT2PPpC_Vjz3mRy-W2T3srvbDH3VN_dZbxbDN5ZJXoN9foytsKzxoXB2_k2PobllJ8/P1020860.jpg?psid=1

BasicPatrick
11-02-2011, 01:42 AM
I just went to order one and found we still can not make the purchase. Please post instructions asap as I am feeling like acting out a bit.

Boshizzle
11-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Maybe the KCBS could let you sell it on their site? Their online store works pretty good.

Slamdunkpro
11-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Patience all, we're almost there, then won't even be in country until December 1st.

Lake Dogs
11-06-2011, 07:23 PM
No patience....

Slamdunkpro
11-07-2011, 09:02 AM
No patience....

<best Ob Wan voice>

You will learn patience.....:becky:

Carpetride
11-07-2011, 10:52 AM
How about......

Patience you will learn :heh:

Slamdunkpro
11-08-2011, 09:04 PM
I think the gateway is fixed, I need a couple of volunteers to do a little testing. PM if interested.

Big_Alvin
11-13-2011, 09:12 AM
i tried the MABA link and went to the store and it worked. i already showed my girls the knife and its on the top of the Xmas wish list. the knife does show on backorder when i tried to place order to test but i assumed thats due to your statement of them being available on Dec 1 in the states, yes?

Slamdunkpro
11-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Site completed and up - Free shipping on the 1st 100 slicers - use coupon code "Slicer". They should start shipping around the 12th of December. There are two other knives in the series, a 6inch flexible utility blade and a 7 inch "chicken" Nakiri style blade. Check those out as well.

Link to the sharp goodies (http://mabbqa.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_4)

Bob S
11-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Order placed for a slicer and blade guard!
Free shipping is nice:clap2:
Merry Christmas to me.

Smokin' Joe
11-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Cant wait :-D

Jester
11-14-2011, 08:55 PM
I just placed my order as well. Looking forward to getting a new knife!

kyle corn
11-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Site completed and up - Free shipping on the 1st 100 slicers - use coupon code "Slicer". They should start shipping around the 12th of December. There are two other knives in the series, a 6inch flexible utility blade and a 7 inch "chicken" Nakiri style blade. Check those out as well.

Link to the sharp goodies (http://mabbqa.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_4)

A nakiri is a vegetable knife. Who determined that this is "perfect" for trimming chicken? It's a thin chopping knife, the profile is so wrong for proteins.

captain John
11-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Just placed order, cant wait to use them !

Boshizzle
11-15-2011, 06:35 PM
I ordered at around 9PM based on an email Newsletter I got from you (MABA) at about 8:17PM last night (11-14-11). The email didn't mention the "slicer" code for free shipping. If you didn't sell 100 of them by 9PM will I still get a refund for the shipping cost that was added to the bill?

kurtsara
11-15-2011, 07:45 PM
A nakiri is a vegetable knife. Who determined that this is "perfect" for trimming chicken? It's a thin chopping knife, the profile is so wrong for proteins.

so it won't cut chicken then?

Slamdunkpro
11-15-2011, 08:10 PM
I ordered at around 9PM based on an email Newsletter I got from you (MABA) at about 8:17PM last night (11-14-11). The email didn't mention the "slicer" code for free shipping. If you didn't sell 100 of them by 9PM will I still get a refund for the shipping cost that was added to the bill?

Good catch, the code should have gone out in the newsletter and in a couple of cases it didn't take - I think that's fixed now. Anyone who paid shipping in the 1st 100 will have the shipping refunded.

Boshizzle
11-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Good catch, the code should have gone out in the newsletter and in a couple of cases it didn't take - I think that's fixed now. Anyone who paid shipping in the 1st 100 will have the shipping refunded.

Thanks!

Slamdunkpro
11-15-2011, 08:22 PM

I played around with this knife all season; it's a demon for trimming and scraping comp chicken. BTW this particular knife has a western ground blade vs a chisel blade.

ajmcedar
11-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Ordered, will report back, thanks.

kyle corn
11-15-2011, 09:47 PM
so it won't cut chicken then?

Of course it'll cut chicken, that's not the point. Would you buy a Lang 60 to grill up ribeyes? Of course not. The right tool for the right job...

BasicPatrick
12-02-2011, 01:20 AM
I went to order just now and the site was down??????

Sledneck
12-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Damn for $139 I figured it would at least come with the $10.99 guard! A special monogram box fir that price. I know it's a low production run but that is expensive

Slamdunkpro
12-02-2011, 07:54 AM
I went to order just now and the site was down??????

I just checked - the site's up

Carpetride
12-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Have they made it into the country yet?

Slamdunkpro
12-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Should be in Country tonight or tomorrow. I'll get an update in the morning.

Slamdunkpro
12-05-2011, 03:02 PM
***UPDATE***

Knives are in the US !!!!!! Wusthof America will be sending out the initial batch to me in the next day or so and we'll start shipping the pre-orderes by the end of this week. There are still a few free standard shipping slots left - use the code "slicer" when ordering.

Now the bad news - the slicers are in but the guards are not. Apparently there is some glitch in the manufacturing process for the long guards so they've been delayed - I don't know how long, but I'll keep everyone posted. I'll know more in the next few days. We're not going to delay the knife shipments and we'll ship the guards out just as soon as we get them.

Plowboy
12-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Just in time to slice my Christmas tenderloin. :-D

Carpetride
12-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Just curious if any of these have shipped out yet?

Slamdunkpro
12-16-2011, 03:08 PM
I just unpacked them - all the Pre-orders will go out today and we have stock.

Big_Alvin
12-16-2011, 04:23 PM
thanks, i got an email from MABA today indictating they'll be on the way and in time for Xmas. can't wait to test drive it.

Slamdunkpro
12-19-2011, 04:23 PM
For those that ordered and have gotten an email saying "delivered", don't fret. The store software doesn't have a "Shipped" status option. You should have or get a tracking number soon.

Ron_L
12-19-2011, 04:42 PM
For those that ordered and have gotten an email saying "delivered", don't fret. The store software doesn't have a "Shipped" status option. You should have or get a tracking number soon.

Whew! I had a contract out for the UPS guy since I couldn't find a package anywhere :-D

Plowboy
12-19-2011, 09:03 PM

Can you confirm mine shipped?

Slamdunkpro
12-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Can you confirm mine shipped?
They all shipped. Emails to the address you entered at the store keep bouncing back. PM me a working email and I'll forward your tracking number.

Plowboy
12-19-2011, 09:53 PM
They all shipped. Emails to the address you entered at the store keep bouncing back. PM me a working email and I'll forward your tracking number.

todd@plowboysbbq.com

Slamdunkpro
12-22-2011, 01:56 PM
They are starting to arrive!:clap2:

Ron_L
12-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Mine is supposed to be here today! Woo hoo!

ajmcedar
12-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Mine is due tomorrow. :jump:

Pitmaster T
12-22-2011, 07:24 PM

I do not even have to lift a finger anymore. LOL this response was a masterpiece. Good Job!!!!

Big_Alvin
12-22-2011, 09:50 PM
mine was due today, hoping for tomorrow...can't wait. Gift from my girls for Xmas.

Slamdunkpro
12-22-2011, 09:54 PM
It's weird, one was delivered in Michigan today yet someone 30 miles up the road didn't get theirs.

BasicPatrick
12-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Are there still free standard shipping deals available...I thin k I might have a few left over christmas dollars

Big_Alvin
12-23-2011, 12:41 PM
mine came in the mail today. This thing is more like a sword. can't wait to test it out.

Ron_L
12-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Well, mine's still not here. I don't need it for Christmas, but knowing that it's coming is driving me crazy :-D

The USPS tracking info still says that the expected delivery date is yesterday :-D

BasicPatrick
12-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Christmas delivery days must be an absolute nightmare for the delivery companies. I finally ordered my slicer today. I'll get my present before "little christmas".

ajmcedar
12-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Got a nice surprise coming home. Thanks, will post picture later, need to teach some youngins how to drink good beer.

Ron_L
12-24-2011, 02:44 PM
It's here! :clap:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
12-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Ron, the only problem I see is being put on the terrorist watch list if that ever went through a x-ray machine during delivery.

Ron_L
12-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Ron, the only problem I see is being put on the terrorist watch list if that ever went through a x-ray machine during delivery.

No kidding!! Watch for black helicopters!

big brother smoke
12-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Whatcha slicing with it?

Ron_L
12-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Whatcha slicing with it?

Hopefully not myself :-D

I have nothing planned right now, but it's a good excuse to cook something!

big brother smoke
12-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Hopefully not myself :-D

I have nothing planned right now, but it's a good excuse to cook something!

Forgot about the "Incident" :laugh:

Smokin' Joe
12-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Just used mine to slice up Christmas Eve turkey breast. This is one awesome knife. Can't to put it to a brisket in a few weeks. Great balance and fit, doesn't feel like a long knife, but sure cuts like one. Very happy customer here!!

Arlin_MacRae
12-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Is there one under my tree? Do I dare hope? :)

Arlin_MacRae
12-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Yes!!!!

ajmcedar
12-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Haven't had a chance to use it, but I do love how it feels. Barely fits in the drawer.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/ajmcedar/20111225_124810.jpg

Arlin_MacRae
12-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I get to use mine tonight! And I have a Wuesthof shelf way up in a cabinet where nobody else can reach. I guess it's not as good as a wooden block, but it works!

Thanks again for ram-rodding this knife through, Slamdunkpro!!

Smokin Mike
12-28-2011, 07:46 PM
O.K guys

how do you order one of these ?

I really want one after playing with one

EDIT: is it this one? (http://mabbqa.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=1&zenid=hq1f3c9l37gihsn2jsddpvbcu6)

Ron_L
12-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Yep, that's it.

Slamdunkpro
12-28-2011, 09:51 PM
O.K guys

how do you order one of these ?

I really want one after playing with one

EDIT: is it this one? (http://mabbqa.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=1&zenid=hq1f3c9l37gihsn2jsddpvbcu6)

That's it

Arlin_MacRae
12-29-2011, 08:11 AM
I used mine on a brisket for the first time last night. I had two friends watching. :) They commented on the sheer size of the blade and the apparent ease at which it sliced. They had no idea what *I* was experiencing though! (chuckle) Man, that thing is like sex on a stick... Um...yeah. I'll go with that. :oops:

CircleW
01-04-2012, 10:37 AM
I found this thread very interesting! Great idea to speak with Wustof, hope they made it worth your time and effort :clap2:

Looks great and congrats!

BoneDaddy's
01-04-2012, 11:43 AM

Here is what Stoddards says

“Often copied, but never duplicated,” with roots dating back to 1601, authentic Granton® Edge knives are made exclusively in Sheffield, England by the Granton Knives Company and were first introduced to the American market by Stoddard’s Cutlery in 1925. First patented in 1928, this innovative edge consists of scallops (dimples) carved by hand into both sides of the blade all the way down to the cutting edge (imitators have machined scallops that stop just above it). While there is some truth to the fact that these scallops give the blade a non-stick quality, the real intent of the design was to allow for a much thinner cutting edge without reducing the integrity (rigidity) of the blade. Almost every major knife manufacturer has attempted to copy the design, but true Granton® Edge knives only come from the factory in Sheffield, England.

smokinit
01-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Sweet I like new toys

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JimmyDAL
01-15-2012, 07:17 AM
is this knife exclusive to the bbq brethren? by that i mean can you walk into a cutlery store and purchase one?

Arlin_MacRae
01-15-2012, 08:29 AM
It's not exclusive to the Brethren, but for now you need to go here, and only here, to order one:

http://mabbqa.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

Slamdunkpro
01-15-2012, 09:35 AM
is this knife exclusive to the bbq brethren? by that i mean can you walk into a cutlery store and purchase one?

It's a fund raiser for the Mid Atlantic BBQ Association. It's only on our website: mabbqa.com (http://www.mabbqa.com/zencart) or if you catch me at a comp.

Nomanerz
01-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Just received my new toy!!! It's sweeeet!!! Can't wait to give it a test drive!!!

Slamdunkpro
01-30-2012, 01:36 PM
***UPDATE***

For those that ordered guards.

You'd think that the guards would be the easy part, but nooooo.

Anyway I spoke with the factory Friday and the large blade guards are supposed to leave Germany on the 31st, so hang in there, we'll get them out the day the hit our door step.

Arlin_MacRae
01-30-2012, 04:16 PM
I was thinking about asking you just that very question. Thanks!

Big_Alvin
01-31-2012, 07:27 AM
thanks for the update. love the knife by the way :thumb:

captain John
02-09-2012, 07:21 PM
I ordered both Knifes with guards are both covers "in the works" ?

Slamdunkpro
02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Guards are on their way from Germany. We'll ship them the day they hit our door.

captain John
02-10-2012, 05:11 AM
Thank you,hope they equal the quality of their knives

jacob
02-13-2012, 06:19 AM
Very nice, I look forward to getting me one soon I'm hoping.

TOPS BBQ
06-08-2012, 01:54 PM
I have been missing in action and missed this thread. Tried ordering, but message says they are out of stock. :(

Slamdunkpro
06-08-2012, 04:04 PM
We have stock. I don't know why the website is saying we're out. I'll fix it on sunday

Plowboy
06-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Michael - I love this knife!!! Great design.

Slamdunkpro
06-11-2012, 10:07 AM
I have been missing in action and missed this thread. Tried ordering, but message says they are out of stock. :(
Stock #'s are updated

Michael - I love this knife!!! Great design.
Thanks, I just spent the weekend cutting up 126 briskets with it at the Big Apple BBQ

TOPS BBQ
08-02-2012, 01:08 AM
I just got back and placed my order. Thank you!