PDA

View Full Version : Judges Taking Pictures?

musicmanryann
07-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Is it okay or common practice for judges to take pictures of turn-in boxes and post them online?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Specifically not allowed in KCBS comps.

Scottie
07-19-2011, 12:29 PM
I would be bent if it did happen.

Sawdustguy
07-19-2011, 12:33 PM
I would be pissed off also.

Stoke&Smoke
07-19-2011, 12:40 PM
No. Where was this happening?

ModelMaker
07-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Being as you and I both were at Waterloo and LaPorte this weekend, are you saying somebody did it? If so and you can identify them I would pass it on to Mike Lake and have that judge booted.
Ed

bigabyte
07-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Besides not being allowed, it would be a bad idea IMHO. Pretty much eliminates the double blind system as someone might recognize their entry and then both judge and cooker would know who judged what.

mobow
07-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Is against the rules only authorized media may take pictures during judging.

smalls65
07-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Don't think that's allowed...could'nt see how that would be a good idea!!!

Plowboy
07-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I would be bent if it did happen.

You? Bent? Never! :becky:

(nothing extra intended by the use of this smiley..okay, maybe something extra)

musicmanryann
07-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I saw on facebook where a regular judge had posted pictures of some turn-ins, then realized that they had cooked that particular contest. However it still made me wonder if it was kosher or not, so that is why I asked. I have no knowledge of any wrongdoing.

JD McGee
07-19-2011, 01:10 PM
If the judge was cooking that day and not judging the he or she can do whatever they want with their turn in box pics...but if a judge is there to judge and takes a pic of the turn in boxes that he or she is judging they should be tarred, feathered, and run outta town on a rail!

redneck cooker
07-19-2011, 01:30 PM
That doesnt surprise me ...as long as Its not mine....that totally not good....:redface::becky::becky:

Scottie
07-19-2011, 01:53 PM
You? Bent? Never! :becky:

(nothing extra intended by the use of this smiley..okay, maybe something extra)

:tape:

Alexa RnQ
07-19-2011, 02:15 PM
If a judge also cooks and puts out their own pictures, that's one thing.
But if a box image were ever put out without the knowledge or consent of its team, that'd suck.

I was a little uncomfy with the BBQTV videos, because I recognized our product, but at least there was no way for anyone else to identify it.

Bentley
07-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Is it okay or common practice for judges to take pictures of turn-in boxes and post them online?

In what context? A judge taking pictures at the table they are judging at and then posting? (As stated, against rules) A judge like myself who also competes posting photos of turn in boxes the have done in the past? Have seen many do that latter.

Guess I need to know the context.

Ron_L
07-19-2011, 05:23 PM
I saw on facebook where a regular judge had posted pictures of some turn-ins, then realized that they had cooked that particular contest. However it still made me wonder if it was kosher or not, so that is why I asked. I have no knowledge of any wrongdoing.

There is a regular judge who also runs a web site where cooks can post box pictures anonymously, and that Judge posts links to those boxes on Facebook. He cooked one of the competitions this past weekend. Could this be what you saw?

QansasjayhawQ
07-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Yep - specifically against the rules for the judges to photograph entries.

http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/2011_Rules_and_Regulations_12-10-2010.pdf

But I can't find a reference to it, unless it's covered under Judging Procedures 2.

I do know that on the tape that is played at every judge's meeting that it specifically says that there is to be no photographing of the entries, except by approved media.

smknwhlswife
07-19-2011, 08:56 PM
I would like it if phones would be banned for the entire judging time, even during the break of turn-ins. This would ensure no pictures or texts about judging. At least until afterward.

Sledneck
07-20-2011, 04:15 AM
If a judge also cooks and puts out their own pictures, that's one thing.
But if a box image were ever put out without the knowledge or consent of its team, that'd suck.

I was a little uncomfy with the BBQTV videos, because I recognized our product, but at least there was no way for anyone else to identify it.

So basically it's ok for anybody other than the judg him/herself to take pictures. Doesn't make sense to me........

Bunny
07-20-2011, 07:56 AM
We never allow a judge to take pictures. They are there to judge. Media can take pictures but not of any entry tray or score cards.

Bunny

Sledneck
07-20-2011, 09:05 AM
We never allow a judge to take pictures. They are there to judge. Media can take pictures but not of any entry tray or score cards.

Bunny

Dumb rule, what if I had a presentation that didn't want the entire web to see? It would certainly get more exposure from the media

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Dumb rule, what if I had a presentation that didn't want the entire web to see? It would certainly get more exposure from the media

Media can't take pictures of your presentation.

bbqczar
07-20-2011, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't think it would be a good idea for ANYONE to be taking pictures during the judging process,judges,media,or otherwise.

carlyle
07-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Specifically forbidden in KCBS rules as noted in other posts.

Stated plainly in the instructions by the reps.

Anyone I saw violating that would be booted and would not be back in the future.

bbqbrad
07-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Then what is your opinion on this?

Clickie Heree (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN27zpxMw_4)

Sawdustguy
07-20-2011, 03:48 PM

An obvious rules infraction.

Jorge
07-20-2011, 04:24 PM

Bunny said images of the presentation weren't allowed. That translates to box to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QansasjayhawQ
07-20-2011, 07:25 PM
I don't have any speakers right now so I can't hear what's being said, but two things that stand out to me . . .

1) The person was obviously standing there for quite some time taking the video of the judge's plate. Why didn't a rep see this and stop it?

2) It was the plate of a rookie judge - and presumably the same rookie judge who was shooting the video.

mikerobes
07-20-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't have any speakers right now so I can't hear what's being said, but two things that stand out to me . . .

1) The person was obviously standing there for quite some time taking the video of the judge's plate. Why didn't a rep see this and stop it?

2) It was the plate of a rookie judge - and presumably the same rookie judge who was shooting the video.

It almost looks like to me this is not a contest but rather judges school
Mike

Bunny
07-21-2011, 06:58 PM
I can guarantee you it wasn't a judging school.

bbqbrad
07-21-2011, 08:34 PM
It almost looks like to me this is not a contest but rather judges school
Mike

The post come from Youtube, and states this...

"Combined American Bass Anglers & KCBS contest in 2010 on Lake Lanier--Chicken judges comments from the blind box turn in at the chicken capital of the world"

QansasjayhawQ
07-21-2011, 08:42 PM
OK - got to listen in tonight - so ALL SIX judges participated in an activity that they SHOULD have known was wrong . . . now that's Not Good At All.

Balls Casten
07-21-2011, 08:57 PM
I cant help but look at the size of bite that is out of each piece. Did they even tast the meat?

ModelMaker
07-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Thats not what my chicken looks like when I'm done!!! And chicken would pry be my least looked forward to, you should see my rib plate, it scares little children.
Ed

Balls Casten
07-22-2011, 04:55 PM
There are others on youtube .. they are from BBQTV

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vnWehOwVF0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HarleyGirl14226
07-22-2011, 05:12 PM
This is REALLY scary. So much for listening to the rule of "No cell phones or cameras allowed in the judging area".

Docmiller
07-23-2011, 09:07 AM

no picturers are to be taken by judges PERIOD!! CONTACT REP ASAP OF YOU SEE THIS BEING DONE....LEW MILLER KCBS REP

brockportbbqfest
07-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Shouldn't be ANY pics in the judging tent other than "Official Media". If anyone sees this is should be reported to the contest rep and organizer!

Sledneck
07-23-2011, 11:09 AM
On one of those tv specials on food network at the American royal they show they show the boxes as they are being shown to the judges.