PDA

View Full Version : No alchohol at the "You Got Somoked" Westfair, IA Competition outside the Beer Garden!?!?

Jeckel
07-18-2011, 10:45 PM
So my teammate got our packet from the “YOU GOT SMOKED” at the Westfair BBQ Competition and it says "No alcohol outside the Beer Garden". He thought he misunderstood so called the contest contact and she said that anyone caught drinking outside of the beer garden will be thrown out. Have you guys ever heard of something like that? I know that you don't need a beer to have a good time but...

caseydog
07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
I believe that Iowa is a red state, so any consumption of alcohol must make some big corporate sponsor a lot of money.

That rule would definitely fuel my creativity. It doesn't have to look like booze to be booze. Just sayin.' One of life's simple pleasures is drinkin' where you ain't allowed to drink. :heh:

CD

Crash
07-19-2011, 03:12 AM
We've heard it a lot of competitions. Keep it on the DL, dont be dumb and keep it in a non-alcohol labeled container. You'll be fine.

Shotgun
07-19-2011, 06:33 AM
We received a confirmation email and a attachment with the same information. Kinda sucks, but then again waking up without a headache doesnt sound bad either.

Jeckel
07-19-2011, 06:37 AM
We received a confirmation email and a attachment with the same information. Kinda sucks, but then again waking up without a headache doesnt sound bad either.
It will be a unique experience for me:sick:

GreenDrake
07-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Vodka is invisible, just sayin'.

The_Kapn
07-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Was this noted in the brochure or the entry form ?
Or was it a "surprise" after signing up ?

TIM

HawgNationBBQ
07-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Rules were meant to be broken.

Gadragonfly
07-19-2011, 08:15 AM
hmmm, what time does the Beer Garden close on Friday? It might be the perfect place to hold a potluck.:heh:

Smokin' Joe
07-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Did the packet come via email or regular mail? I haven't seen it

J_Don
07-19-2011, 08:47 AM
First it was smoking. O.K., I quit after 40 years. Now it's drinking. What's next? Where does it end?

Trucky1008
07-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Joe I received mine via email on July 7th. If you want to PM me with your email I can send a copy to you.

BenGi Z
07-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Was this noted in the brochure or the entry form ?
Or was it a "surprise" after signing up ?

TIM

It was a surprise after signing up. We are a bunch of drunks and wouldn't have signed up for a dry contest. Of course there are no refunds once you have signed up.

Cue's Your Daddy
07-19-2011, 09:10 AM
drink hard cider tell them its fermented apple juice.........I would assume they just want it to be red cup. If they have no reason to hassle you they will not....but then again i can be wrong

Jeff_in_KC
07-19-2011, 10:55 AM
If you're going to party, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to do it at home and cook for friends there where there's no entry fee. If you're going to compete, pay the fee, play by their rules and don't go back next year if you don't enjoy it. Just sayin'...

jbrink01
07-19-2011, 12:06 PM
What Jeff said..^^^^.....

G$
07-19-2011, 12:32 PM
If you're going to party, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to do it at home and cook for friends there where there's no entry fee. If you're going to compete, pay the fee, play by their rules and don't go back next year if you don't enjoy it. Just sayin'...

That's fine advice .. except when the rules change after paying. (And I don't know the details on this one - just making a general statement)

Jeff_in_KC
07-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I guess I don't get why you'd EVER plan to go to a contest simply to get your drink on. Regardless of when the rules might change, the price of the entry fee stays the same. I won't say I have never done it because I'd be lying but I've learned a couple of lessons along the way.

matthew burt
07-19-2011, 01:12 PM

I have not received mine either! I paid my entry the first of June, so its not because I was a late entry. Great to see your coming Joe!

pat
07-19-2011, 01:25 PM
I guess I don't get why you'd EVER plan to go to a contest simply to get your drink on. Regardless of when the rules might change, the price of the entry fee stays the same. I won't say I have never done it because I'd be lying but I've learned a couple of lessons along the way.

People compete for different reasons as you are aware. Why criticize anyone who wants to have a good time regardless if they are getting there drink on or not? Seems out of place to tell anyone why or why not to compete. I think it is up to the individual or team to decide the reasons they go to a contest. Not everyone is in it for the glory of the GC or TOY points. Just sayin'....

G$
07-19-2011, 01:30 PM
I guess I don't get why you'd EVER plan to go to a contest simply to get your drink on.

There are reasons, but that is not even the point. The "rules" at this contest for example would prevent you from corking a bottle of wine to have with your Friday night grilled Rib eye. Or the 9:22.

Not exactly examples of "getting your drink on".

(We all know you can go the solo cup route. )

BenGi Z
07-19-2011, 02:08 PM
That's fine advice .. except when the rules change after paying. (And I don't know the details on this one - just making a general statement)

That is what I feel happened in this situation. After we submitted our entry fee (and my check cashed) we got a packet that says no alcohol outside of the beer garden. Had I known this up front it might have swayed our decision to attend this particular competition.

I wouldn't say we pay the entry fee for the sole purpose of getting our drink on, but we do enjoy our share (and maybe a few other people's shares) of booze and we are never obnoxious or cause problems.

My stance is simply that booze at BBQ comps is more of the norm, and it would have been nice if additional rules / deviations from the accepted norm were spelled out up front. This is the same feedback that I will give to the organizer after the competition. Other competitions that I have attended have had additional rules / deviations on the entry form and one could make an educated decision as such.

Balls Casten
07-19-2011, 02:32 PM
“Life would be a lot nicer if everyone would just conform to my way of thinking.”
Anonymous

Jackel to answer your question. Yes, we saw a new statement at Lenexa this year. I don’t remember the exact words but you could not drink while preparing your meat. We did not see anyone checking up on teams.

Balls Casten
07-19-2011, 02:36 PM

I dont like my neighbors at my house ... they drink to much. :heh:

WineMaster
07-19-2011, 02:40 PM
I bet it would hit the fan if a couple of weeks B-4 the event they released that you had to buy your meat from the contest sponsor. That is why this is being put out there. So you have to buy all adult beverages from them.

Lake Dogs
07-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Eventually they'll take the fun out of the competition, and thereby remove most of the competitors. It's tough to field a competition with only a hand full of teams...

Burnita Boy 1
07-19-2011, 02:51 PM
FYI: All of the Sam's Club events are dry. No drinking on Sam's Club property. That being said, a plain red cup can hold whatever you like....and no-one ever asked or looked.

ClayHill
07-19-2011, 03:09 PM
You all just need to get black cups that look like this....

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab312/Jonathon_Ott/Shoulder001.jpg

Trucky1008
07-19-2011, 05:30 PM
FYI: All of the Sam's Club events are dry. No drinking on Sam's Club property. That being said, a plain red cup can hold whatever you like....and no-one ever asked or looked.

Red cups were provided in our gift bag at the Sam's Club at Evergreen Park and the Sam's Club rep hinted at what the red cups were for.

The_Kapn
07-19-2011, 06:15 PM
I know that my opinion don't count for much, but.....

There are a few items that are central to a team's decision to attend an event.
Entry fee vs. payout, Qualifier for "something" or not, etc. are major consideration for some teams.

Electric and water availabilty is also major consideration.
I know if I signed up for an event and later found that there was no power or water--I would be "livid"!

There are other "expectations" normally, and the organizer has an obligation to disclose variations to those UP-FRONT.
Two of those is any restrictions on alcohol and "signage".
Heavily sponsored teams that have a contractual obligation to the sponsor need to know if they will be unable to meet that obligation.
Alcohol restrictions (enforced or not) need to be disclosed up-front,
Has nothing to do with excess consumption--just needs to be addressed early and not "tacked on" at the end!

That is simple and just "good business" practices by the organizer.

I don't think the whole discussion amounts to a hill of beans except to remind everyone that all organizers do not fully disclose the rules and conditions for their event.
Sometimes ya gotta ask if they are not addressing the issues important to you.
And review the feedback from the previous year--the WWW has tons of info about this sort of stuff.

JMHO

TIM

monty3777
07-19-2011, 07:02 PM
They had the same rule at NKC this year, but the cops, as I recall, told us they wouldn't hassle comp cooks. The rule is there for the public - to try and contain the party. My guess is that they won't trouble comp cooks so long as you aren't acting like Casten or Dirtypig Pat.

‪THE ULTIMATE DRUNK PEOPLE COMPILATION VIDEO EVER!!!‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZmDWltBziM)

Lake Dogs
07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
I know that my opinion don't count for much, but.....

There are a few items that are central to a team's decision to attend an event.
Entry fee vs. payout, Qualifier for "something" or not, etc. are major consideration for some teams.

Electric and water availabilty is also major consideration.
I know if I signed up for an event and later found that there was no power or water--I would be "livid"!

There are other "expectations" normally, and the organizer has an obligation to disclose variations to those UP-FRONT.
Two of those is any restrictions on alcohol and "signage".
Heavily sponsored teams that have a contractual obligation to the sponsor need to know if they will be unable to meet that obligation.
Alcohol restrictions (enforced or not) need to be disclosed up-front,
Has nothing to do with excess consumption--just needs to be addressed early and not "tacked on" at the end!

That is simple and just "good business" practices by the organizer.

I don't think the whole discussion amounts to a hill of beans except to remind everyone that all organizers do not fully disclose the rules and conditions for their event.
Sometimes ya gotta ask if they are not addressing the issues important to you.
And review the feedback from the previous year--the WWW has tons of info about this sort of stuff.

JMHO

TIM

100% spot on, even if Tim did author it...

You know; sometime the blind squirrel does find that acorn.

One of the contests that we attend states no alcohol. At the same time the organizer, being a fairly well known and respected competitor himself, explains the need to use red solo cups religiously and also states that the noise curfew is real and will be enforced (and is enforced). It's very simple code for "drink, keep it in the solo cups, and dont get too obnoxiously loud/drunk so that you spoil it for everyone else". For me, code works fine, as long as the rules (even the un-written ones) dont change.

Jeff_in_KC
07-19-2011, 07:45 PM
People compete for different reasons as you are aware. Why criticize anyone who wants to have a good time regardless if they are getting there drink on or not? Seems out of place to tell anyone why or why not to compete. I think it is up to the individual or team to decide the reasons they go to a contest. Not everyone is in it for the glory of the GC or TOY points. Just sayin'....

I didn't criticize anyone, Pat. I just asked why you'd wanna go get all messed up and not be your best to compete. And even if it is your choice, most people there to party are pretty disruptive to those who are trying to do well and in many cases, they totally ignore quiet hours. If you can get lit and still shut 'er down by 11 pm, I'm all for it. Less competition that way! LOL!

HONCHO GREGORY
07-19-2011, 08:18 PM
I think that if the rule was make after. It will cost the event next year.
I know, I know, it is wrong to do that. I also think we must make a list to print, email to events and ask 1st. like drinkin, payout. and all the things you folks said in many threads

I run an event and listen to what you folks say and want.
I want the best event there is, and yes for my friends, you

and No I don't drink nor do I care if anyone does. as long as nobody gets hurt

BBQ_Mayor
07-19-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm alright with it but it does take a sense of freedom away. :sad:

smknwhlswife
07-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Sounds like you guys need to make sure you fill out the Critique Form.

Balls Casten
07-19-2011, 08:58 PM
OOOOhhhh!
Guy wins one chicken bet and now he wants to be my AA sponsor.

My guess is that they won't trouble comp cooks so long as you aren't acting like Casten or Dirtypig Pat.

‪THE ULTIMATE DRUNK PEOPLE COMPILATION VIDEO EVER!!!‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZmDWltBziM)

monty3777
07-19-2011, 10:00 PM
OOOOhhhh!
Guy wins one chicken bet and now he wants to be my AA sponsor.

Replace the word "one" with "every"! :bow:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

txschutte
07-20-2011, 08:29 AM
If I were a contest organizer, I would want consumption at a discrete level.Many of the contest I have been to will give out red cups or soft can koozies. I'm not sure I would return to a contest that enforces and checks that the consumption rule is in check.

Was there a problem or complaint to the organizer in the past? Were there loud and unruly booze parties? Could be that the organizer is covering his/her arse for insurance or venue puposes?

caseydog
07-20-2011, 08:55 AM

Where is the fun in that?

Why can't a competition also be a party? You have people, you have time on your hands while the meats are smoking, so why not have a good time?

I guess for some, a BBQ competition is serious business. I have a day job, so If I decide to jump into BBQ competitions, I plan to make it a party.

Just sayin' :-D

CD

bbqbrad
07-20-2011, 08:57 AM
I believe the intent of this rule is to curb drinking by the general public in front of those who don't drink. Red Solo Cups are our friends. But to add another level to the argument, some cooks use a beer mop on brisket. Would that now be a no-no?

Smokin' Joe
07-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Yes Brad, according to the packet anyone caught bringing alcohol on the contest grounds will be thrown out and arrested:shocked: Gonna have to find a new mop :mod: Im ure the rule is about insurance, liquor licenses, etc. Here is the quote from the packet for this first year contest...

2)Absolutely NO ALCOHOL may be brought onto the fairgrounds (as per our liquor license & we offer 2 beer gardens) No Alcohol may be carried in and no one under age 21 will be allowed to use or possess alcohol. We do have tight security. Violators will besubject to arrest and their teams evicted from the event.

monty3777
07-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Yes Brad, according to the packet anyone caught bringing alcohol on the contest grounds will be thrown out and arrested:shocked: Gonna have to find a new mop :mod: Im ure the rule is about insurance, liquor licenses, etc. Here is the quote from the packet for this first year contest...

2)Absolutely NO ALCOHOL may be brought onto the fairgrounds (as per our liquor license & we offer 2 beer gardens) No Alcohol may be carried in and no one under age 21 will be allowed to use or possess alcohol. We do have tight security. Violators will besubject to arrest and their teams evicted from the event.

I don't typically drink at comps, but I'd skip this piece of crap on principle alone.

PimpSmoke
07-20-2011, 08:34 PM

I'll keep my opinions close but it sounds like something I've heard before? Hmm, something about a money hungry organizer who didn't get sanctioned for a follow up or lost a chit ton of respect with teams...hmmm, where have I heard this before?

Jeff_in_KC
07-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Where is the fun in that?

Why can't a competition also be a party? You have people, you have time on your hands while the meats are smoking, so why not have a good time?

I guess for some, a BBQ competition is serious business. I have a day job, so If I decide to jump into BBQ competitions, I plan to make it a party.

Just sayin' :-D

CD

I prefer it not because I do take it seriously and partying while the meat cooks typically means well beyond quiet hours which always gets security called in when it takes place within earshot of my camp. Secondly, we do this as a family with a 10 year old daughter along. I don't particularly want her around all that AND being woken up by parties. You can still have a good time and you can still drink... but like I said before, public intoxication tends to lead to all sorts of problems at a contest, not the least of which is a blatant disregard for quiet hours. BUT I guess that's not what this thread is about.

Captain Caveman
07-21-2011, 12:22 PM
I prefer it not because I do take it seriously and partying while the meat cooks typically means well beyond quiet hours which always gets security called in when it takes place within earshot of my camp. Secondly, we do this as a family with a 10 year old daughter along. I don't particularly want her around all that AND being woken up by parties. You can still have a good time and you can still drink... but like I said before, public intoxication tends to lead to all sorts of problems at a contest, not the least of which is a blatant disregard for quiet hours. BUT I guess that's not what this thread is about.

Sounds like a recipe for a stolen golf cart right there:becky::shocked:.......Just sayin'

Jeff_in_KC
07-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Sounds like a recipe for a stolen golf cart right there:becky::shocked:.......Just sayin'

Thanks! I said above that I've made mistakes. LOL!! But I had nothing to do with the theft of that cart before I rode on it as a passenger! I was trying to get drunken ideas and recipes from the driver! Quite an elaborate shigging scheme if you ask me! :thumb:

INmitch
07-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I'll keep my opinions close but it sounds like something I've heard before? Hmm, something about a money hungry organizer who didn't get sanctioned for a follow up or lost a chit ton of respect with teams...hmmm, where have I heard this before?

I wondered if the WI comp from may 2010 was gonna get brought up!! Reminded me of that the minute I started reading the thread.
To me it's not about drinking or not drinking. It's about disclosing the rules befor you write your entry fee check.

Captain Caveman
07-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks! I said above that I've made mistakes. LOL!! But I had nothing to do with the theft of that cart before I rode on it as a passenger! I was trying to get drunken ideas and recipes from the driver! Quite an elaborate shigging scheme if you ask me! :thumb:

No disrespect intended, just pokin' at you.:becky: I probably would have been with you if I knew what was going on.

caseydog
07-21-2011, 07:48 PM

What that language tells me is that the people/companies making money off of those beer gardens don't want any alcohol on the grounds, other than what they are selling. I may be wrong, but I am going to guess that the beer they sell in those beer gardens is not priced competitively. It's probably like going to a Dallas Cowgirls game -- you want to drink, you better bring a lot of money. One beer will cost you the same money as a six-pack at 7-Eleven.

As they say in Texas, it's all about bidness.

CD

caseydog
07-21-2011, 07:56 PM

It doesn't have to be "simply to get your drink on."

Personally, I can not imagine doing a BBQ Competition unless it was a whole lot of fun. I wouldn't necessarily need to get drunk, but if the rules say I can't crack open a cold one at the end of a hard day of cooking, I'd want to know that up front, so I could go to another competition.

Most folks are not going do make a profit doing BBQ Competitions, so it darn well better be fun. If some competitors have a problem with drinking, then they are free to choose to not drink.

CD

Balls Casten
07-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Public intoxication will get you arrested, private intoxication makes you an alcoholic.

BenGi Z
07-21-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't typically drink at comps, but I'd skip this piece of crap on principle alone.

That was my first thought when I got the rules emailed to me. Then I looked and, yep, they cashed my check and NO REFUNDS at the bottom of the entry form.

We'll see how this pans out since we are stuck with it. Heck, maybe it'll be a great comp. Should get a lot of sleep. :wink:

Just Smokin' Around
07-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Can't speak for what goes on in Iowa, but, around here, these rules are usually tied to the Liquor License and the rules that govern it which is usually ruled by the state. That's how I read it (as per our liquor license). Around here, liquor boards can be a pain and they don't want to lose their license. They can sell beer and have to control it, just like a bar. You don't buy beer at a bar and then take it outside, except in New Orleans. I see this all the time where they have a beer garden and have never had a problem taking my own to a contest. Like so many said, use a cup ( I like an insulated coffee cup to keep it cold ), be discrete and you'll be fine.

Igotgas
07-21-2011, 09:50 PM
You all just need to get black cups that look like this....

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab312/Jonathon_Ott/Shoulder001.jpg

That is farming great.. It almost made me spit out my beer. I need one!

Just Smokin' Around
07-21-2011, 09:58 PM

That is actually part of the goodie bag at a Maryland contest that says no alcohol allowed in the packet ( it's in a county park and the county rules say no alcohol allowed ). The come in red too. They just ask you be discrete and use common sense like not have 10 empty beer cans sitting on the table. Common sense, that's all. The cops don't usually bother people that use common sense and courtesy at these events.

Igotgas
07-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Stupid auto correct. Farking not farming.

Igotgas
07-21-2011, 10:06 PM
That is actually part of the goodie bag at a Maryland contest that says no alcohol allowed in the packet ( it's in a county park and the county rules say no alcohol allowed ). The come in red too. They just ask you be discrete and use common sense like not have 10 empty beer cans sitting on the table. Common sense, that's all. The cops don't usually bother people that use common sense and courtesy at these events.

Well living in California I guess I will have to settle for a picture. It is still a great cup though.

INmitch
07-21-2011, 10:20 PM
As far as the drinking aspect of things I don't think there's a team in the country that can keep up with the Fowl Butt crew....honestly. Not bragging or pointing out how much we abuse our livers but anyone that knows us....well they know. We are not obnoxious or anything and that is not my point.
This has turned into a drinking thread and that is not what it's really about.:confused:

JD McGee
07-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Public drinking is not allowed here as well...so...everything in moderation...and red cups! :becky:

Shotgun
07-22-2011, 12:26 PM
From what I can understand, this contest is during the county fair, so I assume that there are a few goverment agencies involved. Still should be a good time, but still would have been nice to have that information disclosed before we made our decision. We still would have gone to the contest, they just dont have to be sneaky about the booze thing.