PDA

View Full Version : Kurobuta pork, who uses it?

GreenDrake
07-14-2011, 06:08 AM
For those of you using higher grade pork for your comp meats, are you seeing much differentiation in time and temp ranges for finished products? I am looking at trying out some kurobuta butt and spares in the next comp, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

boogiesnap
07-14-2011, 08:44 AM
not kurobta, but neiman ranch(i think that's where they from). i do see a difference in cooking times with boutique meats. they cook faster.

as an aside, i personally am not a good enough cook to try something new at a comp. i always have to give it a couple runs at home first. YMMV. :thumb:

roksmith
07-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Trying Berkshire ribs this weekend. I guess we'll see if they are worth the price :)

swamprb
07-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Personally I wouldn't turn in Korobuta spares, something about the flavor that I'm not sure the Judges are ready for. The ones I can get are not that big in the first place and even though I have a meat sponsor, if I was paying for them the price is too much to justify getting dumped on by the professional eaters.

Butts are a different thing, IMO they are richer flavored and you could turn them in without injecting and do well. My supplier carries boneless in the 7-8 lb range.
I have cooked quite a few CT Butts at home and for our supplier (banned from KCBS events) and they cook differently than the Butts and can see now why people were using them-its like a giant Money Muscle and excellent for slicing, but not for pulled IMO.

I'd love to pull these out and try them on the judges-

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ceramics/IMG_3373.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ceramics/IMG_3371.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ceramics/IMG_3372.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ceramics/IMG_3389.jpg

Short ribs! These are out of the world! But then again why take a chance on some a$$wad dinging you for "uneven knife cuts"?? Just sayin'.

ique
07-14-2011, 07:47 PM
I use something they call a pork collar, works GREAT! :wink:

boogiesnap
07-14-2011, 08:56 PM
OMG, it was an honest/valid question! :doh:

at the time, who knew what the ramifications were going to be....well maybe some did.

i'm sure you weren't one of them. :becky:

sous vide pork collar? i'll try some.

Brewer
07-15-2011, 12:26 AM
I use something they call a pork collar, works GREAT! :wink:

Well, it's about that time again.... when we hijack a pork butt thread and turn it into a pork collar thread - Brian, you tuned up and ready to go? :becky:

I also use Kurobota butts and really like them. We're trying a Berkshire-Duroc blend this weekend. I like the real heavy pork taste of the Duroc and the Berkshire fat is butter - I can't wait to see what the combined tastes like.

landarc
07-15-2011, 02:16 AM
not kurobta, but neiman ranch(i think that's where they from). i do see a difference in cooking times with boutique meats. they cook faster.

as an aside, i personally am not a good enough cook to try something new at a comp. i always have to give it a couple runs at home first. YMMV. :thumb:
Man, I would love to try Nieman Ranch butts, never seen them around here. I love their pork chops.

ique
07-15-2011, 04:38 PM
For those of you using higher grade pork for your comp meats, are you seeing much differentiation in time and temp ranges for finished products? I am looking at trying out some kurobuta butt and spares in the next comp, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

So a straight answer is I have cooked berkshire a variety of times but have not noticed a difference worth double+ the price and having to order by the case and never being sure exactly what I'm going to get. Definitely will not hurt you.

Diva Q
07-15-2011, 08:47 PM
I have tried duroc, tamworth, berkshire, tamshire and red wattle. I have not found enough of a difference in a pork butt to warrant the cost. However as a chop absolutely.

Smokin' Hicks
07-15-2011, 10:05 PM
the baby back ribs are absolutely AWESOME...they taste like pork use to taste with some fat content in it.....the only problem is the baby backs are very small and, i have never seen berkshire st louis style ribs