PDA

View Full Version : Free Sully!

Muzzlebrake
07-13-2011, 03:34 PM
FREE SULLY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoqHmabXZkY)

Scottie
07-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Free Sully!!!

And El Jefe in 2012!!!!

WannaBeBBQueen
07-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Free Sully!!

Sawdustguy
07-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Hey guys and gals, I posted a tribute thread to Sully in the Woodpile two weeks ago and nobody responded. A little late aren't we???:doh:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110413&highlight=sully

Sledneck
07-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I am so gonna miss him :rolleyes::becky:

Rub
07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Maybe we should start a defense fund for him?
From now on, nothing but somber, quiet lemmings allowed at contests :roll:
Hopefully nothing comes of this. Can someone PM me the complaining team?

Muzzlebrake
07-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Hey guys and gals, I posted a tribute thread to Sully in the Woodpile two weeks ago and nobody responded. A little late aren't we???:doh:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110413&highlight=sully

its on the BoD agenda for tonight......sorry i didnt see your thread, I was at LP with him and I don't always get over to the WP

Muzzlebrake
07-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Maybe we should start a defense fund for him?
From now on, nothing but somber, quiet lemmings allowed at contests :roll:
Hopefully nothing comes of this. Can someone PM me the complaining team?

If I knew, I'd tell you here........

Jeff_in_KC
07-13-2011, 05:50 PM
I think he will be freed tonight. I also think the Reps owe him an apology.

deguerre
07-13-2011, 05:59 PM
What's the problem? It was funny as heck!

BasicPatrick
07-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Next month the BOD will take up the very inappropriate behavior of spectator percussion during BBQ Awards. Spectator Percussion is very offensive to the teams that do not walk.

FREE SULLY!!!!!!

BBBBAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHBEQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! !!

Redhot
07-13-2011, 06:05 PM
FREE SULLY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoqHmabXZkY)

Woo, just what I wanted to see...a bunch of likkered up, big sloppy redneck men scream singing FU:puke:Such a turn on!

Rich Parker
07-13-2011, 06:36 PM
On the agenda "A cook's celebratory verbalization"

I think everybody should scream Bbbbbaaaaahhhhbbbbeeeecue when they get their name called.

Jeff_in_KC
07-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Woo, just what I wanted to see...a bunch of likkered up, big sloppy redneck men scream singing FU:puke:Such a turn on!

First, why are you attacking someone for their looks and your perceived vision of them? Second, they aren't screaming "FU" so figure out what's going on before commenting. Third, I'm sure they're thinking of what might "turn you on" when they do it :roll:. Fourth, if you don't like fun, you might wanna stay away from BBQ comps.

bmanMA
07-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey, up here in NE this guy is well known and is super friendly. He makes a damn dip around midnight and personally walks to everyone's site to invite them. His Baaaabequue! yell is awesome. Folks echo it all around the comp, including some spectators. Whoever complained is LAME.

Alexa RnQ
07-13-2011, 07:15 PM
I heart Sully! http://www.divaherself.com/funny/hearteyes.gif He's one of our cherished memories from the Jack!

Often imitated, but never duplicated.

Mrs. McFrankenboo
07-13-2011, 07:18 PM
First, why are you attacking someone for their looks and your perceived vision of them? Second, they aren't screaming "FU" so figure out what's going on before commenting. Third, I'm sure they're thinking of what might "turn you on" when they do it :roll:. Fourth, if you don't like fun, you might wanna stay away from BBQ comps.

I agree, it doesn't sound anything like FU! I thought it was hysterical!

Sweet Breathe BBQ
07-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Frrrreeeeee Suuuuulllllllyyyyy!!!

CBQ
07-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Sully is a fixture in the Northeast. His "Baaaahbequuuue" call is often heard at contests in the region, not just at awards but throughout the contest. It's a call to celebrate the sport of barbecue and everything we love about it. It's fun, and it's harmless.

The real question is, should KCBS be regulating what we say and do at contests? How does one draw the line? Can he "say" the word barbecue? How much is too much? How loud is too loud? To regulate this is a slippery slope. If it's not vulgar and not during quiet hours, is this really something the KCBS board should be taking on? Is it even appropriate for a 501(c)3 corporation to wade into determining what acceptable free speech is at a contest?

I for one would be unhappy if Sully is quieted by the board. Sully gives back to the community. He is an officer of NEBS, and his "damn dip" is a fixture at contests in the northeast. He prepares food for ALL the teams, at every event, using his own (and maybe his team's) money. He embodies the spirit of community that we associate with barbecue. Is this the person we want to censor? It will be a sad day for KCBS if that is the case.

motoeric
07-13-2011, 08:34 PM
I have two concerns about this:

1) I have no problem w/ the team that was annoyed by the traditional shout out. Where my problem is in their going to the rep and not just talking to Sully like a man.

2) What is the reps authority at an event? How were they even involved? I don't know if this is accurate, but I read that they (the reps) said that if it (the call) happened again that he would be asked to leave. If that is true, unless I am completely misunderstanding the role of a rep, they completely overstepped their bounds.

To be clear, I wasn't there when this happened and I have no first hand knowledge at all. If someone else can verify or correct the above, it would be appreciated.

Eric

Jeff_in_KC
07-13-2011, 09:00 PM
I believe several board members probably agree but since a formal complaint was made and accepted by the reps, the board has to address it. The problem is, the reps SHOULD have told the complainer that if they don't like it, they should go to the organizer and discuss it there because Sully wasn't violating any KCBS rules. The reps screwed up. Let's not blame the board for this... yet - unless they don't FREE SULLY!!!

bmanMA
07-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Sully is a fixture in the Northeast. His "Baaaahbequuuue" call is often heard at contests in the region, not just at awards but throughout the contest. It's a call to celebrate the sport of barbecue and everything we love about it. It's fun, and it's harmless.

The real question is, should KCBS be regulating what we say and do at contests? How does one draw the line? Can he "say" the word barbecue? How much is too much? How loud is too loud? To regulate this is a slippery slope. If it's not vulgar and not during quiet hours, is this really something the KCBS board should be taking on? Is it even appropriate for a 501(c)3 corporation to wade into determining what acceptable free speech is at a contest?

I for one would be unhappy if Sully is quieted by the board. Sully gives back to the community. He is an officer of NEBS, and his "damn dip" is a fixture at contests in the northeast. He prepares food for ALL the teams, at every event, using his own money. He embodies the spirit of community that we associate with barbecue. Is this the person we want to censor? It will be a sad day for KCBS if that is the case.

Well stated. I know for a fact that he was a primary cook when I took the CBJ course here in MA. He is the man. My kids (3 girls) love when he yells out during comps. It is part of the experience. It is part of what drew me from a CBJ to comp quite frankly. It was awesome to hear all of the camaraderie. It's all understood, and in good fun. You really wanna remove the fun??

My kids are currently practicing the Sully yell.

This is just insane. Trust me, you will be hearing plenty of Sully yells in these parts in the near future!

HVRibFest
07-13-2011, 10:16 PM
As the Chairman of the Hudson Valley RibFest I can only state that "celebratory verbalization” will always be welcome at our event. It is part of the sport we all like to engage in, spend our precious time and money. Just think about being at a major league sports event and not be able to verbally celebrate your team… If someone is offended by someone else having a good time while actually engaging in the same activity, something is wrong. Maybe they should go back to collecting stamps and sit in a quiet room (I know I’m going to get dinged for this comment, NO OFFENSE -I collect stamps too-).
Life is too short to worry about the little things…

BBBBAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHBEQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :cheer2::whoo::dancer:

Crash
07-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Woo, just what I wanted to see...a bunch of likkered up, big sloppy redneck men scream singing FU:puke:Such a turn on! :idea: Don't like it, change the channel. Better yet, dont turn on the TV.

Mister Bob
07-14-2011, 04:14 AM
Comps are not the same when Sully's not there.
Free Sully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-B-QUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE!!!!!

smalls65
07-14-2011, 05:22 AM
I've never met Sully in person, but he is a legend in the BBQ community!!! The 1st time I saw that BAAAARRRRR B QUEEEEEE call on youtube I was on the floor laughing!!!! LOL Dude sounds like a lot of fun and I hope to meet him in person one day.....FREE SULLY!!!! BARRRRRRRRR-B-QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

bbqdavarrow
07-14-2011, 05:22 AM
It has gotten to the point when we go to an event and you realize Sully is not there it is just not the same, WE MISS HIM! It is just so unique & classic, Don't Stop Him!
Red Planet BBQ

bbqdavarrow
07-14-2011, 05:41 AM
When Sully does this at events, for me it just adds to the atmosphere of the event. I equate it to waking up at 5am and going for a walk and smelling all of the smokers going and saying to myself "This is Great"

Sawdustguy
07-14-2011, 06:49 AM
I just don't understand. I fear there is a hidden adgenda in this somehow. The whole thing stinks of someone simply flexing their muscles and Sully getting stuck in the middle of it. Sully has been doing this for years without reprecussion. Why, all of a sudden is this an issue?

BoneDaddy's
07-14-2011, 06:59 AM
So this is the first I have heard of this...what actually happened? We were next to Sully last year at Harpoon and hope he is there this year.....Great Guy

Ron_L
07-14-2011, 07:08 AM
As the Chairman of the Hudson Valley RibFest I can only state that "celebratory verbalization” will always be welcome at our event. It is part of the sport we all like to engage in, spend our precious time and money. Just think about being at a major league sports event and not be able to verbally celebrate your team… If someone is offended by someone else having a good time while actually engaging in the same activity, something is wrong. Maybe they should go back to collecting stamps and sit in a quiet room (I know I’m going to get dinged for this comment, NO OFFENSE -I collect stamps too-).
Life is too short to worry about the little things…

BBBBAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHBEQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :cheer2::whoo::dancer:

I'm offended. I call for philatelists everywhere to boycott BBQ competitions!

PPPPHHHHIIIIIIIIIILLLLAAAAAATTTTEEELLLLYYYYYYYYYYY YY!!!!!!!!!!!

:becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky:

Oh yeah...

Free Sully!

White Dog BBQ
07-14-2011, 07:08 AM
I've seen this "Free Sully" stuff on several sites, but it's not clear to me what happened -- was he kicked out of contest, told to pipe down or what?

smknwhlswife
07-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Anyone know the outcme of the BOD meeting last night?? I know another issue that I had a BIG issue with was dismissed. The outcome of these issues would have been the deciding factor for me continuing to be a KCBS member.

I draw the line when a few teams can gang-up on another team and try to get them voted out of KCBS.

Jeff_in_KC
07-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Kim, I got a text late last night on that issue too. Thank God is all I can say! That was a huge railroad job and some people have lost my respect over it. Looking forward to hearing the same news on Sully!

ique
07-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Anyone know the outcme of the BOD meeting last night?? I know another issue that I had a BIG issue with was dismissed. The outcome of these issues would have been the deciding factor for me continuing to be a KCBS member.

I draw the line when a few teams can gang-up on another team and try to get them voted out of KCBS.

What was the other big issue?

Jeff_in_KC
07-14-2011, 09:20 AM

Chris, I think the "other" issue is best left right where it is... dead and buried. It was not made public by the person involved. Suffice it to say apparently someone didn't like another person at a local contest and a stack of lies progressed from there. The truth came out and it's over. I probably should have texted Kim that reply. :-D

Westexbbq
07-14-2011, 09:33 AM
"Celebratory verbilization" eh?
I look forward to being at contests where Sully is in attendance.
He is a cherished, local legend 'round these parts and a really, really nice guy to boot.
Without a doubt,
FREE SULLY!!!!!

Jacked UP BBQ
07-14-2011, 09:57 AM
BBQ Politics, gotta love it!:crazy:

Jeff_in_KC
07-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Everything is political.

Candy Sue
07-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Sully has the blessing of the board of KCBS to vocalize BAAABEQUE at will as long as it's not during quiet hours. Reported on the board's behalf by Candy Sue.

Scottie
07-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Thank you KCBS Board!!!!

Now what am i going to do with these 200 Free Sully!!! T-shirts I have!!!??? :becky:

Jorge
07-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Thank you KCBS Board!!!!

Now what am i going to do with these 200 Free Sully!!! T-shirts I have!!!??? :becky:

I've got a suggestion, if you wrap a certain button up in the package:-P:becky:

smalls65
07-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Thank you KCBS Board!!!!

Got a XXL I'll buy one!!! LOL :thumb: BAAAARRRRRR B QUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YankeeBBQ
07-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I've got a suggestion, if you wrap a certain button up in the package:-P:becky:
El Jefe in 2012 !

Scottie
07-14-2011, 12:31 PM
El Jefe in 2012 !

Where the heck is that 'Like' button....

Cue's Your Daddy
07-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Can i ask what contest was it that this happened at?

landarc
07-14-2011, 01:03 PM
I am glad that self-expression is still alive and well. I can't help but think that BBQ, like so many things that become popular today, is somehow becoming image conscious.

Sweet Breathe BBQ
07-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Lake Placid, let it be known that the organizer was supporting Sully.

Scottie
07-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Lake Placid, let it be known that the organizer was supporting Sully.

And Dmitry called Sully up during grilling awards so he could do his call. So it sure wasnt the organizer....

motoeric
07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Well, this brings us back to the point of why did the Rep feel that they had the authority to address this issue?

Is there some sort of codified breakdown of what a Reps responsibility at an event is? Because it certainly seems that Sully would have been within his rights to tell them to leave his area and not to come back unless it had something to do with the KCBS and the rules adjudication.

Eric

CBQ
07-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Thank you KCBS Board!!!!

Sell them at Harpoon? I'm XXXL. (aka Barbeque XL)

Sawdustguy
07-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Well, this brings us back to the point of why did the Rep feel that they had the authority to address this issue?

Is there some sort of codified breakdown of what a Reps responsibility at an event is? Because it certainly seems that Sully would have been within his rights to tell them to leave his area and not to come back unless it had something to do with the KCBS and the rules adjudication.

Eric

See Post#29

Scottie
07-14-2011, 05:32 PM

No Harpoon for me. I cant write a story. So i make up for it by buying their beeyah.

For all those that have inquired. I was kidding about the tshirts. But i might go out and get some made now. With a good saying on the back. Like.. tell your tit# to stop looking at my eyes!!! :becky:

Mister Bob
07-14-2011, 06:22 PM

So that would make me 'Barbeque' XXL I guessL. I'll take two!

swamprb
07-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Pork Collars??

watertowerbbq
07-14-2011, 07:22 PM
I think the "other" issue is best left right where it is... dead and buried. It was not made public by the person involved. Suffice it to say apparently someone didn't like another person at a local contest and a stack of lies progressed from there. The truth came out and it's over. I probably should have texted Kim that reply. :-D

With all due respect, if you don't want to provide all the details about the "other" issue, then just remain silent on the issue all together. We aren't all in the inner circle and vauge explanations don't really add anything other than confusion.

CBQ
07-14-2011, 07:29 PM
No Harpoon for me. I cant write a story. So i make up for it by buying their beeyah.

For all those that have inquired. I was kidding about the tshirts. But i might go out and get some made now. With a good saying on the back. Like.. tell your tit# to stop looking at my eyes!!! :becky:

While that does sound like a Sully's T Shirt :-P I think you can only put one thing on the back: "Baaaaaaabecuuuuuuuuuuue!"

Muzzlebrake
07-14-2011, 07:34 PM
I was kidding about the tshirts. But i might go out and get some made now. With a good saying on the back. Like.. tell your tit# to stop looking at my eyes!!! :becky:

El Jefe 2012 would look good on the back

:peep:

CBQ
07-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Someone had to do it! Get yours now!

"Free Sully" on the front and "BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!" on the back.

(The hat is only printed on the front. No, I didn't put a markup on anything.)

http://www.cafepress.com/freesully

mikerobes
07-14-2011, 09:39 PM
I don't know Sully, would sure like to meet him someday, sounds like a fun guy
mike

Nitrofly
07-14-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't know Sully, would sure like to meet him someday, sounds like a fun guy
mike

Come To Harpoon Sully will be there BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! :-D

HarleyGirl14226
07-15-2011, 06:17 AM
So sad to be missing Sully at Harpoon this year since we are skipping that contest this season... But I'll be sure to be yelling BAAAAAAAAHHBEQUE!! here is Buffalo in his honor. And happy he won't be silenced. :-)

Smokin Hoggz
07-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Free at last!!!! Good Lord free at last!!!!!!! Sully, You are the Man. Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of Lunchmeat @ Harpoon!!!!!!!

Baaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbqqqqqqqqqqu uuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!