PDA

View Full Version : Catering for 200 with a catch

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-13-2011, 11:03 AM
So I've been asked to cater a big charity golf outing and press conference. The event is sponsored by a large grocery chain. They want me to cook pulled pork and brisket for 200 people. The country club is responsible for all the sides and the grocery chain is supplying the meat. Basically I have to drag my rig 100 miles and then just cook their meat. Do I just charge them some mileage and an hourly rate?

jbrink01
07-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Wow, that's a cr@ppy deal. I'd ask if the chain could drop the meat at my house or if I could pick up locally from a closer store. If not, it would be $50 and hour for every hour I was awake and working on it, $25 an hour for the pit running while I sleep and $1.25 a mile.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Wow, that's a cr@ppy deal. I'd ask if the chain could drop the meat at my house or if I could pick up locally from a closer store. If not, it would be $50 and hour for every hour I was awake and working on it, $25 an hour for the pit running while I sleep and $1.25 a mile.

Oh I can get the meat at the store next to my house. The actual event (golf course) is 100 miles away. The country club staff will pull the pork and they are going to do a carving station for the brisket. I'm really just there to bring the pit and babysit it. I can still see this turning out to be a 12hr day.

chad
07-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I'd ask if they'll reimburse for the mileage and hours. After all, it is a CHARITY event. If they say they can't do that, well - there's your answer. Would you need to take a day off work?

If you aren't going to donate your time and mileage you just have to say "no". With today's economy and prices you have to ask.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-13-2011, 11:34 AM
I'd ask if they'll reimburse for the mileage and hours. After all, it is a CHARITY event. If they say they can't do that, well - there's your answer. Would you need to take a day off work?

If you aren't going to donate your time and mileage you just have to say "no". With today's economy and prices you have to ask.

Haha funny thing about "getting off work". Did I mention I work in the corporate office for said chain? I'm getting paid at the office as well so I have to be careful as I am double dipping.

big brother smoke
07-13-2011, 11:38 AM
They need to hook you up with some type of per diem.

jbrink01
07-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Now it makes sense.......I agree with BBS. Maybe expense report all the travel and incidentals related to the cook?

MoKanMeathead
07-13-2011, 11:53 AM
If your employer pays you for this they will probably issue you a 1099-misc at the end of the year...just something else to factor in.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-13-2011, 01:13 PM
If your employer pays you for this they will probably issue you a 1099-misc at the end of the year...just something else to factor in.

My BBQ business is setup under an LLC so they may cut a check to the company. I highly doubt they will tack it on to my salary with the company.

Big A
07-17-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't do catering but it is charity and maybe they expect you to kiss a little corprate butt by doing it for free.I would have a tough time doing it for free but...your time is money.

Smiter Q
07-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Big corporate grocer, large golfing event, country club....

Charity or not... there is money there to pay you for your time.

goodbuddiesbbq
07-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Since it's your employer and you are already paid a salary, I would charge them a per diem for the mileage and a flat fee over what your exact costs are. That number would be up to you...but I would have to say at least $200-$400 to cook it all.

Take it easy on the man...for a day.

landarc
07-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Typically, if you are an employee and they ask you to cook, and you are getting paid at the office, you are crossing a line if they also pay a separate business. Unless you are taking a vacation, in which case, you need to make that clear. It is a little funny.

If I was the business, I would look at getting you paid for expenses and giving you some overtime or comp time, keep it real clean and easy. That being said, if you have enough income, it would be a write-off.

WineMaster
07-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Do you compete. Mabey they can be a great sponsor for your cooking team.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Do you compete. Mabey they can be a great sponsor for your cooking team.

This is exactly the idea I proposed last week and I think they are going to go for it. That being said anyone want to help me out here on raw meat estimates? This will be my biggest cook yet. 200 people almost all men with a good number of college football players/coaches thrown in. They want pulled pork and have setup a chef station to carve brisket. I've currently asked for 120lbs of brisket flats and 80lbs of Boston Butts. I figure that's conservatively 1.5 per person. Sound right?

Plowboy
07-18-2011, 02:52 PM
This is exactly the idea I proposed last week and I think they are going to go for it. That being said anyone want to help me out here on raw meat estimates? This will be my biggest cook yet. 200 people almost all men with a good number of college football players/coaches thrown in. They want pulled pork and have setup a chef station to carve brisket. I've currently asked for 120lbs of brisket flats and 80lbs of Boston Butts. I figure that's conservatively 1.5 per person. Sound right?

You'll have a pound of cooked meat for every 2 people. That is plenty! As long as they are paying for the meat, I'd say cook it all. If I was furnishing the meat, I'd figure 3 per pound for a group of big eaters like that. If it was wives and kids as well, then 4-5 per pound.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-18-2011, 03:00 PM
You'll have a pound of cooked meat for every 2 people. That is plenty! As long as they are paying for the meat, I'd say cook it all. If I was furnishing the meat, I'd figure 3 per pound for a group of big eaters like that. If it was wives and kids as well, then 4-5 per pound.

Yeah they are supplying the meat and the golf outing is $1000 per person so the last thing I want to do is run out of food.

Plowboy
07-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah they are supplying the meat and the golf outing is $1000 per person so the last thing I want to do is run out of food.

Damn! That's a lot of cheddah.

Free ball washing at each hole? :thumb:

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-28-2011, 06:47 AM
This thing got a bit out of hand. I'm currently cooking 122lbs of brisket and 112lbs of pork. I'm glad I'm not paying for the meat. My smoker is currently getting a work out.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Well I would have never believed it but we only had 2 brisket flats out of 20 at the end of the day and the pork was completely gone. Football players can eat! It was pretty cool having big name athletes like your food. I have found my cookers limit that's for sure. No way I could have squeezed on anymore food.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-31-2011, 10:45 AM
Well things worked out nicely. Not only did I get a sponsorship out of the cook, as a thank you I was given two tickets to the Brickyard 400 in the Crown Royal Suite. Full bar and catered...with BBQ. Haha.

PorkQPine
07-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Good job.

PorkQPine
07-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Well things worked out nicely. Not only did I get a sponsorship out of the cook, as a thank you I was given two tickets to the Brickyard 400 in the Crown Royal Suite. Full bar and catered...with BBQ. Haha.

That's a great suite, I was fortunate enough to watch the Indy 500 from there a couple of years ago.

bigsapper
07-31-2011, 12:02 PM

:clap2:

Enjoy the show!

Plowboy
07-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Awesome!!

jbrink01
07-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Well I would have never believed it but we only had 2 brisket flats out of 20 at the end of the day and the pork was completely gone. Football players can eat! It was pretty cool having big name athletes like your food. I have found my cookers limit that's for sure. No way I could have squeezed on anymore food.

Time for an FEC500?

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
08-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Time for an FEC500?

Haha I don't know about that. I do want a larger cooker in the future. I've had a few people mention whole hogs so an upgrade is on the horizon.