PDA

View Full Version : Good BBQ in San Francisco?

Smoothsmoke
07-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Any joints the brethren recommend? :thumb:

OakPit
07-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Phat Matts in Oakland is awesome. Memphis Minnies in the Haight is ok. Other than that, it's a crap shoot.

Chezmatt
07-10-2011, 02:46 PM
It's not actually in San Francisco, but Gorilla BBQ in Pacifica is great. It's just a few miles south on Highway 1.

landarc
07-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Gorilla is your best bet, but, feeling adventurous? I recommend the brisket and pork trotters at Mission Chinese Food, Oklahoma style with a Chinese/Cali accent. It is some of the most dynamic and interesting cooking in SF right now.

SmokeJumper
07-10-2011, 09:09 PM
^^^Landarc is spot on - especially on recommending Mission Chinese but don't miss the smoked corned beef and potato kung pao.

One more addition for solid traditional BBQ is Memphis Minnies on lower Haight. Excellent brisket and pulled pork. Don't miss the epic grit sticks side. And you can order sakes with your BBQ.

If you have the time, the most impressive traditional BBQ in the Bay area is across the bridge in Oakland at Phat Matts. Tell Matt and Charlotte that smokejumper sent you and you might get a hug.

OakPit
07-10-2011, 09:26 PM
If those suggestions don't appeal to you, join a bash with Groundhog66, Onehump, Marty Leach, R2Egg2Q and Green Leaf BBQ out in Livermore/Pleasanton.

SteveT
07-10-2011, 11:31 PM
And..... I f you happen to be heading for Monterey for the day, then "Central Texan BBQ" is on the main street of Castroville, and is very good!!!

SteveT

Chuckwagonbbqco
07-11-2011, 02:18 AM
My favoeite Bay Area BBQ is at "Great American BBQ" in Alameda---about 100 yards into Alameda from Oakland--immediately on the right after crossing the High Street bridge. Harry Stewart is the owner and a great BBQ competitor. Raider hangout

SteveT
07-11-2011, 03:29 AM
My favoeite Bay Area BBQ is at "Great American BBQ" in Alameda---about 100 yards into Alameda from Oakland--immediately on the right after crossing the High Street bridge. Harry Stewart is the owner and a great BBQ competitor. Raider hangout

I see you are living in Oroville.... I did too, when I was about eight years old...(52 years ago) Went to (if I remember correctly) "Bird Elementary School" for about two months, before leaving there. I remember going swimming off of a concrete "pier" on the Feather river...

SteveT

jmellor
09-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Any joints the brethren recommend? :thumb:

What was the verdict on this one Smoothsmoke? Did you find anything in town you liked or did you head to Oakland? I am headed out next week and just was reading some of the old threads to find some spots...

Smoothsmoke
09-28-2011, 12:04 AM
What was the verdict on this one Smoothsmoke? Did you find anything in town you liked or did you head to Oakland? I am headed out next week and just was reading some of the old threads to find some spots...

Never made it all the way up there. I got to Aptos, CA and had great BBQ at Aptos St. BBQ.