View Full Version : Taking a trip to North GA mountain area, what to see? Near Dahlonega

Smiter Q
07-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Hello my Wood Pile Brethren,

Aug 5th through the 10th my GF(most likely one day to be Mrs. Smiter) and I are going to visit the Dahlonega and Cleveland area of north Georgia. We are going to see about a possible job for her. As we are thinking of a relocation to the area.

Wondering if there are any recommendations from the Brethren of sites to see. Either restaurants, curiosity shops, natural wonders, etc. The natural offerings of the area suits us quite well. We also like the idea of being close-ish to Atlanta.. I would travel to Atlanta few times a month for my own business, and although I know it is a drive.. I am willing to sacrifice some drive time for the few times a month I would need to do so.

Also any general comments of the area, pro or con, are welcomed.

Thank you.

Below are some photos why we are drawn to the area.

07-07-2011, 10:18 PM
From Cleveland you can drive N. about 10 miles and visit Helen, Ga if y'all are into trouristy type places. Resembles a Swiss village in the middle of the Alps. I haven't been up that way for years.

Smiter Q
07-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the tip, now that you mention it I do remember reading about Helen.
Most likely on her list, but I will ask. Thank you.

Photo of Helen

07-08-2011, 07:51 AM
The Smith House restaurant in Dahlonega...Family style service and it's all pretty tasty especially the fried chicken. Also you are about 15 miles to Dawsonville which has what they call a NASCAR museum (Bill Elliott is from thee) and also a pool hall that serves up some pretty good grub. I used to live in Gainesville and work in Cumming.

Patrick C.
07-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Check out Amicalola Falls state park - http://www.gastateparks.org/AmicalolaFalls

Unicoi state park and Anna Ruby Falls are close to Helen.

Tallulah Gorge and Toccoa Falls are also nice, but a bit further east.

07-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Dillard House in Dillard. You'll drive by the entrance to the park with the Foxfire museum, it's worth a visit to check out the Appalachian historical stuff they've put together over the years.

Smiter Q
07-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks all. Seems I got bumped to road trips from the wood pile.:shocked:
Anymore ideas out there would love to hear em.

07-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Helen and Dillard House. Trust someone from Georgia. Helen can be crowded!

07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
North Georgia wine trail is pretty fun. You will be close to about 5 vineyards. We stayed at a bed in breakfest in downtown called Top Of The Square. Very nice, and great service.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Smiter Q
07-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Thanks all. Anyone else? I know there are some more north GA boys around!

Lake Dogs
07-15-2011, 07:22 AM
If you like Reuben's, the International House in Helen has probably the best one I've ever had...

Amicolola Falls is very pretty.

Smiter Q
07-31-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks again for the ideas. I am getting closer to the trip, leaving Friday.
Thought I would push this back up to see if any more ideas come along.

Thank You

Ole Man Dan
07-31-2011, 11:03 PM
The mountains of North Georgia have some very good Trout Fishing.
Lake Lanier has large salt water Stripe. North Ga. has great deer, hog and bear hunting too.

The Elijay, Ga. area, is home to many Apple Orchards.
There are stands everywhere selling things like Apple Turnovers & pies.

Still Smokin
08-01-2011, 08:59 AM
I will second both the Smith House & Dilliard House

Ole Man Dan
08-16-2011, 08:52 AM
I will second both the Smith House & Dilliard House

I've never been able to decide which I like better. I've been to both many times.
TIP: Unbutton your pants before you start the long drive home, or better still, wear 'Stretch pants'.
I always over eat at both 'Houses'. Save room for desert, both have outstanding deserts. :thumb: