PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do just a flat for a comp?

GreenDrake
07-06-2011, 07:59 AM
I know I know, spare me the jokes about "only if you don't want to win" It's an honest question...just curious if any of you folks have had some luck with doing just a flat. Query being that one can buy a higher quality cut and save some grill space, or is it not even worth it?

sitnfat
07-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Never even thought about trying to cook one.

rookiedad
07-06-2011, 08:14 AM
i placed fourth in brisket only cooking a flat and i used the real burnt ends as the burnt ends. what we call burnt ends in competition are not how they originated. i think we should call them "carmelized deckle cubes".

GreenDrake
07-06-2011, 08:22 AM
I know RookieDad, I do like manufacturing burnt ends though. I am looking at a pretty good trim down on my brisket, just wondering if a flat has a chance and if so, maybe I upgrade the quality of it. I am not going to go full Wagyu for this first comp this year, but will do it next month at the second one.

BBQchef33
07-06-2011, 08:32 AM
i have tried it several times, and cook it IN ADDITION to a full packer(or 2). Only did it when i found exceptionally nice ones.. well marbled, 9lbs or bigger and over an inch thick.

the flat had to go in several hours later, and took more watching.. and I still wussed out at turn in and turned in the ones cooked on the full packers. The flats cooked alone just weren't as moist as the sweeet spot cooked underneath the point.

but they made damn good eatin afterwards. :)

JD McGee
07-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Yep...all the time! Sometimes we cook packers...sometimes flats...depends on what looks good that day at the market (Costco). Up here in PNWBA land the point (or faux burn't ends) are treated as garnish and cannot be counted in the scoring other than for appearance. So far we have two first place briskies cooking flats...:becky:

GreenDrake
07-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Yep...all the time! Sometimes we cook packers...sometimes flats...depends on what looks good that day at the market (Costco). Up here in PNWBA land the point (or faux burn't ends) are treated as garnish and cannot be counted in the scoring other than for appearance. So far we have two first place briskies cooking flats...:becky:

Are you going to compete in the Cheney Jubilee this weekend? I will be there.

rookiedad
07-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Phil makes a good ....point ( get it :becky: ). that flat that i cooked had a thin layer of the point still attached to the underside by a layer of fat which did keep it moist.

Kosmo's Q
07-06-2011, 09:08 AM
I have and have done well. Just hope you get a large flat with some of the point still attached.

redneck cooker
07-06-2011, 09:13 AM
I have been cooking only choice/prime flats for yrs in comp and do great , thats all I cook and only cook one...:becky:

JD McGee
07-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Are you going to compete in the Cheney Jubilee this weekend? I will be there.

Yes...we are...looking forward to meeting you and your crew! :-P

nthole
07-06-2011, 09:47 AM
We do 7lb flats and have placed in the top 5 a few times with them.

Hogtie N' Ride
07-06-2011, 12:18 PM
We entered a comp last minute last year and could only get a flat, normally did packers placing middle of the pack with them. Got 2nd with the flat! It did have a small layer of the point and middle fat.

Big Mike's BBQ
07-06-2011, 04:06 PM
I normally cook one flat and one packer for the point (burnt ends). I have been doing this for about 2 years now and have turned in the slices from the packer once. the rest of the time I turn in slices from the flat only. I can find better looking flats than I can find whole packers. I do turn in burnt ends sometimes but most of the time they do not turn out so I do not turn them in.

Big Mike

Big Mike
07-06-2011, 06:35 PM
I normally cook two flats and I have done well with them. Like mentioned above, try and find larger flats with a bit of point on them. I like them around 8-9lbs. I have found them in the 9-10lb range but that is rare.

jbrink01
07-06-2011, 07:23 PM
I have and have done well. Just hope you get a large flat with some of the point still attached......and inject the cr@p out of it with Kosmos...........

chromesporty
07-06-2011, 08:26 PM
I have been cooking only choice/prime flats for yrs in comp and do great , thats all I cook and only cook one...:becky:
We only cook flats now as well. 2nd place brisket at Austin Sam's Club Invitational was a flat. Pretty sure 1st place was as well.

ssbbqguy
07-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Saves me trim time and I don't feel so bad having to pay for all that fat. Like them. Steve.

Fat Woody
07-07-2011, 07:30 AM
FWIW: we don't compete that often, but I cook one big flat and one packer, Angus choice from Sam's or Costco. I like to have two flats to choose from and make burnt ends (apparently "fake" ones) from the point. Got our first brisket call last weekend at Sam's contest in OP (5th).

swamprb
07-07-2011, 09:49 PM
I know RookieDad, I do like manufacturing burnt ends though. I am looking at a pretty good trim down on my brisket, just wondering if a flat has a chance and if so, maybe I upgrade the quality of it. I am not going to go full Wagyu for this first comp this year, but will do it next month at the second one.

Swing by Smokin' Ty's after Brisket turn in and try a slice of Kobe, we're cooking on the Klose this weekend-never a dull moment with that monster!

nukenight
07-07-2011, 11:34 PM
I've been lucky enough to win brisket at a contest with a flat. In fact, I cooked two 8 lb flats and could have turned in either one. I turned in the one that had slightly more juice. I guess I went to cooking flats so I can get more sleep at contests and I've had good luck with uniform slices and such. I don't typically turn in burnt ends because judges in our area of the deep part of TX and LA don't know what they are.

GreenDrake
07-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Swing by Smokin' Ty's after Brisket turn in and try a slice of Kobe, we're cooking on the Klose this weekend-never a dull moment with that monster!

Oh I know, it's heaven. I have access to some Snake River Farms meats, their brisket is insane. Look for me at the cookoff, I am bringing a Traeger EZ Up tent, tough to miss, it's black and tan.

Spydermike72
07-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Scores actually went up last year when we switched to Flats. Easier to cook and cheaper as well. We were usually in the Top 5 in brisket last year after the switch.

smalls65
07-12-2011, 11:45 AM
We did two Angus Choice flats from Sam's this year in Edenton, NC back in April and took 1st in brisket...Injected the H*LL (H@LL) out of it with Butchers and rubbed her with Bovine Bold...We also wrapped it early...(wrapped after 3 hours at 275)...So by all means got for it...don't let anyone tell you it can't be done!!! Oh yeah, that was only our 3rd comp too!!! LOL :thumb:

GreenDrake
07-13-2011, 04:51 AM

Make that 3 first place wins, JD. You and I took 1st and 2nd in brisket. Small world for sure.

JohnKinMD
07-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Do yuou cook the flats fat side up or down?

smalls65
07-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Do yuou cook the flats fat side up or down?

Fat cap down...