PDA

View Full Version : Judging at Rancho Cordova

Gadragonfly
07-05-2011, 03:54 PM
A couple of weeks ago when I posted a thread on the upcoming contest in Rancho Cordova several tongue-in-cheek comments were made about packing our 9's because the judges out there didn't have any and "real judges" coming out. This past weekend we judged with some very caring and thoughtful judges in Rancho Cordova. All but two of the judges were CBJs and every one understood the importance of taking their job of judging seriously. Empahsis was made on the amount of time and money the teams have invested in the contest and the importance of the judges' scores. Kathleen and Kelly McIntosh were fantastic reps and during the judges meeting they made sure we all understood there was a difference between perfect and excellent (9 being excellent) bbq.

While the judges in California do not have the opportunity that we have (judging every weekend if we'd like), they, none the less, are good judges and deserve the respect of the teams. As in every contest you might experience that "judge #6" but the other 5 judges at the table are giving fair and well thought out scores. You should all be proud.

Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it :becky:
Julie

huminie
07-05-2011, 04:55 PM
That is definitely good to hear. Not sure if it is a coincidence, but this was one of the highest scoring contests in NorCal ever. My story is that you did, in fact, pack those 9s and were very generous with your distribution! LOL j/k

I know we have some very good judges that take control of their table and make sure the more novice judges are well informed and I think things will only get better over time.

The actual scores don't really matter as long as everyone is being judged in the same way.

Glad you guys enjoyed your experience with Northern California BBQ!

Alexa RnQ
07-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Kathleen and Kelly McIntosh were fantastic reps
I heartily concur. After eighty-some contests, we've cooked under a few different reps, and I can say without reservation that K&K are among the very best.

Funtimebbq
07-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Very nice to have met you two. Thanks for spending some of your vacation with us.

Benny

JiveTurkey
07-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Next year I'm packing my "9's", the Glock and the Kimber. That was one rough crowd once the sun went down!