PDA

View Full Version : White Sauce at Comps?

motoeric
06-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Has anyone used a white sauce for your chicken and noticed a difference in your scores?

I know that we like things pretty sweet here in the north east, so it probably wouldn't fly up here. Just wondering if other parts of the country have success with it.

Eric

Alexa RnQ
06-25-2011, 02:05 AM
I htink white sauce is once of those things that everybody tries *once*.

Crash
06-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Very bad idea IMO. Maybe Thom Emery will stop by to share his experience using a white sauce.

goodbuddiesbbq
06-25-2011, 07:57 AM
I've seen it win a sauce contest in Florida....but don't turn it in...there will always be a judge or two that will not be impressed.

PimpSmoke
06-25-2011, 08:15 AM
EJ (Pappa Hog) did it on chicken one year at Princeton. I tasted it, the chicken was outstanding! Probably one of the best entries I've ever tasted the sauce was a perfect compliment.

He tanked it from what I remember.

I like my mustard sauce about 10,000 times better than any other sauce I make for pork, but I would never think about putting mustard on a turn in anywhere in the midwest.

Sawdustguy
06-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Eric,

Some how I don't think that is going to work in this neck of the woods.

goodbuddiesbbq
06-25-2011, 05:29 PM
I know of one of the best cooks in the country that puts a gravy-like sauce on his brisket and killllllllls with it. I'm not talking about one of the top 100 teams or top 50 teams or even top 25 teams...I'm talking about one of the best in the world.

I'm talking about holiday style gravy, too. I've attempted it at the house, but just can't get the stones to put it out there.

Little Bob's BBQ
06-25-2011, 06:53 PM
I was in love with the idea of a white sauce, till I tried it. I tried 4 different recipes, didn't like any of them.
Isn't white sauce and vinegar BBQ sauce from the Carolinas? I think it is.
I'm sorry I don't like either one. I want to like them, but I don't I have tried several times.

motoeric
06-25-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm talking about holiday style gravy, too. I've attempted it at the house, but just can't get the stones to put it out there.

Did you like it when you tried it at the house?

Eric

jdbh
06-25-2011, 07:58 PM
white sauce originated from alabama, big bob gibson not the carolinas

boogiesnap
06-25-2011, 09:07 PM
big johns white sauce(modified,less wooster, and no 3 day marinade)is one of the best compliments to chicken i have ever tasted. ever. ever. funny thing is, though you dip the chicken in it multiple times during the cook and then(in a clean bowl of sauce)at the end, you really see no evidence of a sauce. just a beautiful gloss to the skin.

anyway, once i get a couple top 5's or so:roll:with some red sauced thighs, i GUARANTEE, i will throw this out there a few times.

but right now, i hung my AC/DC's out there enough with the wings...

QansasjayhawQ
06-25-2011, 10:09 PM
As a judge, I would not count you down for the style of sauce that you choose to use. However, it had better be a really good, well balanced white sauce.

One question that always goes through my mind while judging is 'what is this cook trying to do here?' and then 'did he/she do the best they could'.

boogiesnap
06-25-2011, 10:14 PM
As a judge, I would not count you down for the style of sauce that you choose to use. However, it had better be a really good, well balanced white sauce.

One question that always goes through my mind while judging is 'what is this cook trying to do here?' and then 'did he/she do the best they could'.

shouldn't every sauce be a well balanced sauce? regardless of white, red, or whatever?

QansasjayhawQ
06-25-2011, 10:23 PM
that suggests i can turn in just an OK red sauce and score well with you.

that isn't really judging on the merits of the individual entry.

wouldn't EVERY sauce better be a really good well balanced sauce?
Yep. EVERY sauce had better be a really good, well balanced sauce.

What's wrong with that?

Each entry should be judged on its own merits and not compared to others.

If it's just OK - then you didn't achieve 'excellence in BBQ'.

Well balanced - and outstanding is what we're looking for.

The Des Moines Iowa Symphony can do an OK job with a piece of music, but the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra can do a far superior job . . . and keep it just as well balanced.

I hope this helps.

QansasjayhawQ
06-25-2011, 10:25 PM
shouldn't every sauce be a well balanced sauce? regardless of white, red, or whatever?
Ah - OK - the subject of the thread was the white sauce.

boogiesnap
06-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Yep. EVERY sauce had better be a really good, well balanced sauce.

What's wrong with that?

Each entry should be judged on its own merits and not compared to others.

If it's just OK - then you didn't achieve 'excellence in BBQ'.

Well balanced - and outstanding is what we're looking for.

The Des Moines Iowa Symphony can do an OK job with a piece of music, but the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra can do a far superior job . . . and keep it just as well balanced.

I hope this helps.

excellent. in that case, i'd hope my white sauce hits your table. :thumb:

my thoughts on white sauce...

really, IMHO white compliments poultry far better than red. red overpowers poultry.

look at french cooking, (they KNOW how to cook and make sauce) other than coq au vin, chicken for the most part is sauced "white". chicken get supplemented by fat, cream, butter, etc.

and it is a meat contest, right?

ThomEmery
06-26-2011, 07:57 AM
Very bad idea IMO. Maybe Thom Emery will stop by to share his experience using a white sauce.

Well the story goes
Tried 6 Red sauce Drumettes with 6 Whites sauce Drumettes
Beautiful Box
Thank God for the Thai Peanut butter Chicken entry
that cushioned my fall to second to last
Never cook outside the mainstream

goodbuddiesbbq
06-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Did you like it when you tried it at the house?

Eric

It was great. It is about 80 percent gravy / 20 percent sauce...I can't get the you know whats to do it though.

MilitantSquatter
06-26-2011, 08:51 PM
It was great. It is about 80 percent gravy / 20 percent sauce...I can't get the you know whats to do it though.

This may become the biggest craze since muffin pan chicken.

boogiesnap
06-26-2011, 09:21 PM
is the gravy recipe in the book?

Lake Dogs
06-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Remember Rule 1: Never, ever, under any circumstance offend a judge. Dont load up on cayenne, dont load up on salt, and dont put out a sauce that's outside of that mahogany red color, especially a white or mustard sauce.

roksmith
06-27-2011, 09:17 AM
There are always exceptions to the rule, but basically my train of thought is... If it's a KCBS event, cook KC style BBQ.

Southern Home Boy
06-27-2011, 04:57 PM
I marinate the thighs in white sauce for a few hours before I rewrap the skin around 'em and cook'em. Gives 'em a really good flavor and keeps them VERY juicy.

The_Kapn
06-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Our team is "Flirtin' with Disaster" and we have done that (too) many times :-D

But, I don't have the cahones to use a white sauce on chicken!

Good Eats, but too far out of the mainstream for competition, even for me.

TIM

Lake Dogs
06-28-2011, 07:31 AM
It's about getting outside of norm. Too far off and wild things happen. I remember in an open chili cookoff one entry came through with black beans. It was hands-down the best chili that day (across all tables, everyone thought so), except one judge who happened to be on the table where this chili came through. Guess what; it got a 1 from her. She didnt smell it; she didnt taste it. Her words were "it looks like deer poop". So, there 'ya go. Dont go too far out of a norm because you never know what happens. This team went from first place in this entry to DAL.

Perhaps if all I did every weekend was cook for cookoffs and I had a competition where I really didnt care if we were first or DAL, then and only then I *might* try something like this. Otherwise, no.

smalls65
06-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Remember Rule 1: Never, ever, under any circumstance offend a judge. Dont load up on cayenne, dont load up on salt, and dont put out a sauce that's outside of that mahogany red color, especially a white or mustard sauce.

Dito what he said!!!!! The goal is to WIN the contest...This isn't a perfect world, so don't expect all the judges to judge the entry, "as it was presented to them"...I wouldn't score you down myself, but I don't think you'd be as lucky w/ some other judges... :thumb:

boogiesnap
06-28-2011, 10:16 AM
i have an idea....:cool:i'll try and execute tonight and post some PRON.:wink:

boogiesnap
06-29-2011, 08:46 AM
so i get home from work, prep some thighs, open the fridge to get the ingredients for a white sauce...no mayo! :mad2:

i mean who doesn't have mayo in the fridge? :roll:

CivilWarBBQ
06-30-2011, 02:30 PM
I make a white sauce that has been picked as tastier than BBG's by every taster who has ever compared the two. A couple years back we had three sauce entries in a large Georgia contest, so I figured, what the hay, why not send it to the judges and see how it would fare.

It finished DAL.

My guess is white BBQ sauce is not going to be well received at a contest anywhere except possibly Northern Alabama.

motoeric
06-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all the opinions everyone!

Eric

chad
06-30-2011, 07:27 PM
It's not just white sauce. We watched a really good first time team crater in Asbury Park back when the Brethren were just starting to compete. They were a local restaurant team and could cook! They let us taste their chicken entry and it was wonderful, but it was Asian inspired with ginger and teriyaki...DAL and lower if there was such a thing. It was great food but it was not something to enter in a BBQ contest.

boogiesnap
07-08-2011, 10:26 PM
i cooked a hybrid white sauce comp. chicken last night. unfortunately, i dumped all the photos by accident.

it was a success.

not not quite what i had in mind for the experiment. but, i'll get to it at some point.

i have 1 more run at chicken before next week-end, i''ll try and get some pron on it.