PDA

View Full Version : Pitmaster T Series - Hot n Fast No Foil Jucicitidinous Brisket

Pitmaster T
06-24-2011, 04:15 PM
YouTube - ‪Pitmaster T Series - Hot n Fast No Foil Jucicitidinous Brisket‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jNsSTElPAk)

Pitmaster T's Hot and Fast - No foil process as mentioned in previous (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101870&highlight=cheat+sheet) threads by Barbefunkoramaque

If you cannot see this you are either not signed on or not a member.

Pitmaster T
06-24-2011, 05:27 PM
For Information on Hot and Fast Ribs Videos (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109504)

K-Barbecue
06-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Cool video... thanks

El Ropo
06-24-2011, 06:06 PM
YouTube - ‪Pitmaster T Series - Hot n Fast No Foil Jucicitidinous Brisket‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jNsSTElPAk)

Pitmaster T's Hot and Fast - No foil process as mentioned in previous (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101870&highlight=cheat+sheet) threads by Barbefunkoramaque

If you cannot see this you are either not signed on or not a member.

I was recently a newb, and thought I had to smoke at 225. Thank you T for showing not only me, but everyone else the light. I live by hot and fast now. Learned most of my cooking from the youtube vids before they got yanked.

Pitmaster T
06-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Well don't worry too much... it was I that yanked the videos. As you can see, I am redoing some of them and re-releasing them in a more family and forum friendly format (thats alotta f's) so that farkers will frequent them with out a faltering familial fiasco.

I am off now to cut a NEW glaze video inspired by Big Maybelle Smith. See you on the other side.

Boshizzle
06-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Great video! How long did you cook the briskets and how long was the rest period and did they sit in the cooker while resting or something else?

Gore
06-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Great work! Where do we apply for these grants?

BRBBQ
06-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Cool video. I need a good brisket rub, I tried a 50/50 ratio of salt and pepper, ah needs something else.

JazzyBadger
06-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Good chile powder works well for me.

frognot
06-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Another great video Donnie! Thanks for all the work you put into your videos.

Pitmaster T
06-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Ur welcome dude

Mufasa
06-24-2011, 10:57 PM
O(+>

BRBBQ
06-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Did some one catch all the Ingredients and amounts?

Pitmaster T
06-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Did some one catch all the Ingredients and amounts?

Someone find the cheat sheet...

OakPit
06-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Great video - keep 'em coming.

El Ropo
06-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Cool video. I need a good brisket rub, I tried a 50/50 ratio of salt and pepper, ah needs something else.

Granulated garlic. Be sure to use coarse S&P.

Pitmaster T
06-25-2011, 06:11 PM
The video doesn't quite make a case that I am using salt and pepper only. Heck there's a sprinkle of Lawreys (Tri Layer 1) so thats like 9 things the Popdaddy's (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99589&highlight=popdaddy+codes) Butt Glitter (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=875128&postcount=7) has like 11 things I think and between lemon pepper or montreal seasoning thats quite a few things so it remarkably has a quite complex profile... BUT the whole reason I used to last large grainers is to bring all those things into ...sheesh... I have to use a "Gina Neeley" term -- BALANCE when they get smothered and combined in fat.

You may notice for the final layer of tri level rub there are somepossibilities. Montreal/Salted Lemon Pepper/ and pepper is a good salt balance. When I used koshure salt (due to the bulk I was cooking) I used saltless lemon pepper. My favorite was indeed the Montreal BUT I also found here in my region this cool "Chipolte Large Grained seasoning" for cheap so I have settled on Kosure, Lemon Pepper pepper and this Chipolte stuff from Sams.

Also... use foil or even pan before your out of the stall and you will have some salty brisket. Wrap at all and you will have some peppery brisket. Cook it like I do and its all good an tamed out a bit.

By the way - the poster above is right though... if you start with salt and pepper and one or two of your favorite large grainers (onion and Garlic being the most popular) and maybe a dusting of something finer like chili powder... you got some good (uncrowded) taste.

BRBBQ
06-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Someone find the cheat sheet...
Thats what I'm talking about:thumb: if I need to try the flavor profile, I need the answers:becky:

Pitmaster T
06-26-2011, 12:36 AM
ur welcome, anytime!

Pitmaster T
11-22-2011, 09:31 AM
R U Ready 4 The Laydown?

U got 2 lay it down, and let me show u how, how we make some things up n funkytown...

From the Heart of Big Red Soda, I am Ur Funky Yoda, gauranteed 2 make the FUNK reknown!

Big Bears BBQ
11-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Nice work,and I like the smoker.............

Pitmaster T
11-22-2011, 09:56 AM
R U Ready 4 The Laydown?

gtr
11-22-2011, 09:58 AM
^^^is the chick with the corncob involved? :hungry:

---k---
11-22-2011, 11:41 AM
R U Ready 4 The Laydown?

Hit Me!

JasonBB
11-22-2011, 12:07 PM
that is one sweet video man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Windows movie maker to make it????

Pitmaster T
11-22-2011, 02:28 PM
r u ready 4 the laydown?

jonboy
11-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Is it ready yet?
jon

Pitmaster T
11-22-2011, 04:04 PM
been ready since june

buccaneer
11-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Loved it, great music too!:thumb:

Pitmaster T
11-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Loved it, great music too!:thumb:

Now try The laydown

Bigmista
11-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I knew something fell on his head!

Pitmaster T
11-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Neil, the damn bean pot thats been in my family 60 years fell during the filming of Laydown and took out the Flip cam I have used for all these vids. Both are broken.

boogiesnap
11-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Neil, the damn bean pot thats been in my family 60 years fell during the filming of Laydown and took out the Flip cam I have used for all these vids. Both are broken.

fark. sorry, dude.

btcg
11-23-2011, 08:42 AM
I was recently a newb, and thought I had to smoke at 225. Thank you T for showing not only me, but everyone else the light. I live by hot and fast now. Learned most of my cooking from the youtube vids before they got yanked.

Hot & fast is a good method, but you'll never achieve the beautiful red inside color that way... or as I call it, the "Holy Grail" of BBQ.

btcg
11-23-2011, 08:46 AM
The video doesn't quite make a case that I am using salt and pepper only. Heck there's a sprinkle of Lawreys (Tri Layer 1) so thats like 9 things the Popdaddy's (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99589&highlight=popdaddy+codes) Butt Glitter (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=875128&postcount=7) has like 11 things I think and between lemon pepper or montreal seasoning thats quite a few things so it remarkably has a quite complex profile... BUT the whole reason I used to last large grainers is to bring all those things into ...sheesh... I have to use a "Gina Neeley" term -- BALANCE when they get smothered and combined in fat.

You may notice for the final layer of tri level rub there are somepossibilities. Montreal/Salted Lemon Pepper/ and pepper is a good salt balance. When I used koshure salt (due to the bulk I was cooking) I used saltless lemon pepper. My favorite was indeed the Montreal BUT I also found here in my region this cool "Chipolte Large Grained seasoning" for cheap so I have settled on Kosure, Lemon Pepper pepper and this Chipolte stuff from Sams.

Also... use foil or even pan before your out of the stall and you will have some salty brisket. Wrap at all and you will have some peppery brisket. Cook it like I do and its all good an tamed out a bit.

By the way - the poster above is right though... if you start with salt and pepper and one or two of your favorite large grainers (onion and Garlic being the most popular) and maybe a dusting of something finer like chili powder... you got some good (uncrowded) taste.

Donnie,

I've moved away from using garlic with beef: tired of the flavor profile.

You ever get tired of the flavors and improvise? What do you think of ginger as a sub for salt? Maybe not completely... but upping your ginger in order to lower the sodium content?

btcg
11-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Wow....

.88 cents a pound????

Geez louise, I wish I could find that quality... let alone that price.

Nice that you're a good, church goin man. Looks like those folk were mighty grateful for your Q.

Nice video, altogether.

Pitmaster T
11-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Hot & fast is a good method, but you'll never achieve the beautiful red inside color that way... or as I call it, the "Holy Grail" of BBQ.

Thats what I thought too at first... but I decided to let myself off the hook and find a way to shut people like me and you up.

Third Eye and I both used a staged ramp up process. This means that we both know that the "Holy Grail" of redness as you say, while it is NOT supposed to be judged, nevertheless is. And I feel it should be. The solution to the ignorance of (you can't have depth of color/flavor) without total low and slow is ----- the ramp up.

The ring, smoke and all that occurs within a limited time frame (not during the whole process in the house. Third Eye and several of us circumvent this seemingly acedemic "defect" in the Hot and Fast Process by smoking our meats at the 200 or so range for a period then ramping up to over 270 and in my case, coming back down again near the end when the stall is over... which I detect by ear.

Oh Heck... maybe a picture will do:

http://www.travel-austin-texas.com/images/barbecue-smittys02.jpg
Smittys BBQ - Hot and Fast... At over 400 degrees - It is REALLY HOT and Really Fast. Holy Grail?

http://www.roadfooddigest.com/image.axd?picture=WindowsLiveWriter/JaneandMichaelontheVirtuesofFattyBrisket_B758/12077_3.jpg

Muellers BBQ in Taylor... On at 4 am Off at 10 am with no ramp up.

Also, the term, "Holy Grail" is a term used to denote something that is hard to access or attain and crucial to a process. In the case of Brisket I would say that "the deep redness" is neither. I have tasted a lot of losers that had a wonderful ring. Heck, you can even BUY chemicals to make this ring... or use Sea Salt to enhance it.... but, redness is easily attained by cooking at 200 for an hour and a half - or accidentally by putting 50 cold briskets into a hot pit. It was decided here by poll that the true "Holy Grail" of BBQ was actually texture and moisture. Great Taste can be bought from Kosmos, Simply Marvelous, Plowboys, heck even Lawrys, or in the case of Lockhart, Mortons and MacCormick (salt and Pepper). But the tue Holy Grail is the Pitmaster's ability to conquer your House temp and turn an essentially garbage chunk of meat (select cuts if your and expert pitmaster) into a delicacy.

btcg
11-23-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm not referring to the ring. I'm talking about the inner meat: very difficult to achieve.

Flavor?

Recently had an appt to get my teeth cleaned, and when I sat down, my dentist proposed that he and his friend act as silent investors, and the 3 of us will open our own restaurant. Looking like the restaurant will be a go. I'll set everything up, train the staff, and move on. Our 2nd place will have a bar.

That weekend, I had him stop by my house on Sunday and pick a tray of PP I did Saturday overnight. I did it up right: hit Restaurant Depot, got me 17 lbs of butt, and bought a package of aluminum trays and the tops. Packaged it professionally, and mixed up a container of the sauce Johnny Trigg is currently using, and made a nice label with a picture of Johnny on it. Nice presentation.

The wife had an appointment a week or so later, and she said all he did was rave about my PP. He and the other investor's kids are very picky eaters, they hate most all food (finicky jewish kids), but he told the wife that they were shocked: they devoured my PP and wanted 2nds and 3rds. They apparently killed the whole tray in one sitting.

So I guess I've got the flavor down.

Pitmaster T
11-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Your Quote READ

"Hot & fast is a good method, but you'll never achieve the beautiful red inside color that way... or as I call it, the "Holy Grail" of BBQ. "

Then you say -

"I'm not referring to the ring. I'm talking about the inner meat: very difficult to achieve."

There are two problems with what you are saying. This is, as far as I know, a thread about brisket. Let me look for a second... yep, brisket.

Would you like to offer advice about boiling an egg? Because your observations about my Hot and Fast Brisket cooking method are about as relevant. YOU are speaking about pork... you say "pork." I won't bring up the fact you are from Maryland - :) and as near as I know you are not "Smoke in the eye" (who actually is from Texas) or that other New Englander that won all those "southern" contests.

This does not mean you do not know how to cook Q, it means your audience is a bit - whats the opposite of skewed?

Now as far as "Pink" through brisket, it can happen WITH A BRINED ONE!!!!!! But as near as I can tell in my 30 plus years of cooking either as a competitor or professional I am unaware of anyone getting pink all the way through and not sure it would be good. Hold it, there was this one time we got drunk at a little "invitational" I was at back in the early 1990's and we pretty much soaked the damn thing in tenderquick and never washed it off just to make a goofy statement.

SO..... what is your "Holy Grail" theory applicable too.... Ribs? I think a rib smoked Pink/red all the way through is anything but hard to attain OR a sought after trait for Q. It smacks of ENHANCED ribs too.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/jack-daniels-world-championship-invitational-barbecue-kcbs-judging-ribs.jpg

Look... a bevy of samples at the Jack Daniels... no pink all the way through here, albeit they may be low and slow

I am also deeply concerned about this

"...mixed up a container of the sauce Johnny Trigg is currently using, and made a nice label with a picture of Johnny on it. Nice presentation."

Many of us here actually KNOW Johnny, and not in the capacity that we went to his tutorial either. Next thing you know you will be stealing Prince's videos to make a video of your own.:icon_blush:

So what COULD you be talking about? Oh yes, you chose to talk about the Holy Grail as it applies to PORK BUTT in a thread about Brisket.

Lets see...

Let's use another good source for education about "red all the way through" flavor

http://jvp.smugmug.com/Barbeque/Jacks-Old-South-Barbeque/PB011563/411419752_ekyQd-M-1.jpg

Mryon Mixon's turn in ()arther he would choose from this for his box) for the 2008 Big Pig Jigg. Guess he must have missed the "Holy Grail you speak of.

Take my advice... you will soon find that all small fortunes selling BBQ start with large fortunes. For your audience... you may want to keep overhead low and do this.

http://www.recipegirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Pulled-Pork-Sandwiches-7.jpg

btcg
11-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Your Quote READ

"Hot & fast is a good method, but you'll never achieve the beautiful red inside color that way... or as I call it, the "Holy Grail" of BBQ. "

Then you say -

"I'm not referring to the ring. I'm talking about the inner meat: very difficult to achieve."

There are two problems with what you are saying. This is, as far as I know, a thread about brisket. Let me look for a second... yep, brisket.

Would you like to offer advice about boiling an egg? Because your observations about my Hot and Fast Brisket cooking method are about as relevant. YOU are speaking about pork... you say "pork." I won't bring up the fact you are from Maryland - :) and as near as I know you are not "Smoke in the eye" (who actually is from Texas) or that other New Englander that won all those "southern" contests.

This does not mean you do not know how to cook Q, it means your audience is a bit - whats the opposite of skewed?

Now as far as "Pink" through brisket, it can happen WITH A BRINED ONE!!!!!! But as near as I can tell in my 30 plus years of cooking either as a competitor or professional I am unaware of anyone getting pink all the way through and not sure it would be good. Hold it, there was this one time we got drunk at a little "invitational" I was at back in the early 1990's and we pretty much soaked the damn thing in tenderquick and never washed it off just to make a goofy statement.

SO..... what is your "Holy Grail" theory applicable too.... Ribs? I think a rib smoked Pink/red all the way through is anything but hard to attain OR a sought after trait for Q. It smacks of ENHANCED ribs too.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/jack-daniels-world-championship-invitational-barbecue-kcbs-judging-ribs.jpg

Look... a bevy of samples at the Jack Daniels... no pink all the way through here, albeit they may be low and slow

I am also deeply concerned about this

"...mixed up a container of the sauce Johnny Trigg is currently using, and made a nice label with a picture of Johnny on it. Nice presentation."

Many of us here actually KNOW Johnny, and not in the capacity that we went to his tutorial either. Next thing you know you will be stealing Prince's videos to make a video of your own.:icon_blush:

So what COULD you be talking about? Oh yes, you chose to talk about the Holy Grail as it applies to PORK BUTT in a thread about Brisket.

Lets see...

Let's use another good source for education about "red all the way through" flavor

http://jvp.smugmug.com/Barbeque/Jacks-Old-South-Barbeque/PB011563/411419752_ekyQd-M-1.jpg

Mryon Mixon's turn in ()arther he would choose from this for his box) for the 2008 Big Pig Jigg. Guess he must have missed the "Holy Grail you speak of.

Take my advice... you will soon find that all small fortunes selling BBQ start with large fortunes. For your audience... you may want to keep overhead low and do this.

http://www.recipegirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Pulled-Pork-Sandwiches-7.jpg

Geez, where to start:

1- I live in Maryland... but I was born & raised in Detroit....

a.k.a Motown... also the home of rock & roll. The place where most of the music you enjoy was either made, or inspired by.

Sorry it took me so long, but I wanted to share your ideas about music with a few black musicians I still know from Detroit... (I actually played in the Detroit bars (play guitar, harp, and piano), and got to know quite a few session players and performers).

One of them thinks rather like you do... and was amused, to quote about you: "ahhh...a white boy who probably can't play who thinks he knows something about black music."

Me, I don't feel that way. I don't think it matters if you can actually play, as long as you actually enjoy the music. To me, you don't need to be able to play anymore than you must comp cook to be a good cook.

You mentioned someone from Chicago? Cool. My son's band is going on their first North American tour next week, and will be playing in a number of states, and a number of venues, including Chicago:

http://www.facebook.com/CowabungaMusic

He too feels like you do: I'm out of it because of the stuff I play: Page, Townshend, Hendrix, Beck, Blackmore, Gilmoure, etc...

How can anyone who plays that old stuff know anything about music? Amuses me.

As for cooking and achieving that nice internal red color: I don't see where you're disagreeing with me.

If you think that HnF is the only true method of brisket cooking... well, it's an opinion too.

Pitmaster T
11-23-2011, 10:41 PM
As for cooking and achieving that nice internal red color: I don't see where you're disagreeing with me.

If you think that HnF is the only true method of brisket cooking... well, it's an opinion too.

Both of these statements then scream "reading comprehension problems."

I never said its the only way but I won't have some guy who doesn't know brisket from pulled pork, much less BBQ conventions, tell me about what can and cannot be achieved. Just because some guy's skills limit the way he can cook meats, doesn't really covert into some cogent observation of what can be attained.

Boshizzle
11-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Both of these statements then scream "reading comprehension problems."

I never said its the only way but I won't have some guy who doesn't know brisket from pulled pork, much less BBQ conventions, tell me about what can and cannot be achieved. Just because some guy's skills limit the way he can cook meats, doesn't really covert into some cogent observation of what can be attained.

Oh, boy. :roll:

BBQ Bandit
11-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Better bring the popcorn...
:pop2::pop2::pop2:

btcg
11-24-2011, 08:34 AM
"My" reading comprehension????????

Okay, let me spell it out for you.

I tried to subtly tell you something yesterday:

When you went off on your goofy tirade, you insulted at least half of the group here: those above the Mason-Dixon line.

Good BBQ isn't about your street address... it's about dedication to the craft.

We have excellent cooks here from all over the world.

You are one of my favorite cooks here, and I enjoy your sense of humor. I think you'd make a great ambassador for this site, and for BBQ in general, as you're a decent writer, as well. I really enjoyed the piece you had published recently in Galveston (if the reader has not seen or read it, there's a link to it Donnie graciously put up in the Woodpile).

How bout we just can the p!ssin contest, and get back to BBQ?

tortaboy
11-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Hey Donnie - Is that one of them new fangled keg cookers?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pitmaster T
11-24-2011, 11:15 AM
How bout we just can the p!ssin contest, and get back to BBQ?

1. As a resident of the Maceo-Dickinson Line (Not Parker, but Sam), I have been insulting people above the Mason Dixon line to the point here that its lost all its power. I will continue to do so 'til my last breath. It's fun... unless of course I Que is in the vicinity, then I hide.

2. It's not a pissin' contest, oh supercilious lackey of the malliard quest, it is mere public relations, "heat." I figure a good ruse and tumble like this is good for a few more hits on the ole thread count.

3. You in fact came into a thread about B R I S K E T, which is beef, and told the high priestess of the internet hot and fast funk world that there was no way to get the "deep down red through the meat" [[[[ LIKE YOU CAN WITH YOUR PULLED PORK]]]] OR without using your technique, which I assume is low and slow. Then said, after my "goofie" [sic] rant (I like that term), that we are in agreement. All the while referring to Pork.

4. Furthermore you called me WHITE. I have never been more insulted in all my life. Neil Strawder, Big Mista can vouch EXACTLY what my complexion is....who you going to believe? Some black musician from Detroit, or your own eyes. Please... I have been dealing with that kind of discrimination for years....you have no idea what it like to be black, yet look white... I am shunned by both cultures!

Neil????? Please tell them who I am... somebody get Bigmista...

Pitmaster T
01-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Hee Hee, LMAO

jestridge
01-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Well well look, who came out of the closet.

El Pistolero
01-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Well don't worry too much... it was I that yanked the videos. As you can see, I am redoing some of them and re-releasing them in a more family and forum friendly format (thats alotta f's) so that farkers will frequent them with out a faltering familial fiasco.

Glad to hear you're redoing some of the videos, but please, for the love of all that is funky, do not mess with the dumplin's video.

Pitmaster T
01-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Glad to hear you're redoing some of the videos, but please, for the love of all that is funky, do not mess with the dumplin's video.

I hope to God no one can access it.

El Pistolero
01-22-2012, 04:57 PM
I hope to God no one can access it.

Not now...just watched it about 100 times when you had it up last Thanksgiving.

By the way, is there a list of the ingredient codes around here somewhere? I've been able to figure out some of them from your videos, but a few allude me.

Pitmaster T
01-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Well, being purposely cryptic finally caught up with me. Some guy just cussed me out on facebook for my sly avoidance of several questions regarding hot and fast although I have answered these questions in here for years. Here are his questions once he got through cussing at me (for telling him to ask me in at my Pitmaster T page ) and since he must have unfriended me he cannot receive the answer. I figured here would be a good place to answer it.

"i have watched all your video's. there are some that are marked private. your brisket video's really don't tell about the temp and temp times.

Ronnie, this is done purposely as I was frustrated with people's obsession with the 225 degree house temp and brisket internal temps and time and all. I am pretty sure the house temp of about 270 is in the dialog or something, maybe not.

what is the temp of the smoker when you put the briskets on?

This is kinda up in the air too Ronnie. When you cook a mess of briskets like I did in that video the temp of the pit, even if its 300, will be drawn way down for quite a while due to the mass of the meat. This is a good thing because as BBQ Brethen know, the smoke ring is estblished early on when the outer half inch of the meat is under 140. For smaller smokes I liek to get the pit hot (yep - 300) so the metal won't work against me, then bring down the temp to as low as 200. Its not crucial... just something under 230.

how many hours do you keep it at that temp?

about two hours will do it for small smokes --- will define small as how packed your pit is too... this means that if your pit holds 4 briskets and you are smoking one its not the same as 10 in a smoker that can smoke 50 briskets.

If you do however, since nothing happens BUT smoking at 200... who cares... but then again, you are just wasting time any longer.

do you ever change your temp at a certain time, like lower the temp when the brisket reach about 160?

I NEVER ever let anyone catch me take and brisket temp. :-P:-P In a panic I will... like if its raining or my house temp acts squirly during the day. One day for instance I had all large logs for a fire and this kept the house temp down... then it rained, then it got real cold... a large portion of the cook simply was not in the hot and fast range.

Now that that is said... in a perfect world... smoking at 270 ... I generally do not use anything but sound and site and smell for doneness with a confirmation probe that Third Eye made me... damn thing is capable of probing a brisket 21 inches on the other side. Briskets are like ribs and the sound they make as the fat renders when it hits my diverter plate intensifies like popcorn in a microwave when they weep and pass the stall.

if so what is the temp you lower too?

Here is the weird part. And I kinda already admitted it.

You ever seen those shows where someone's boyfriend lets the fire go out, or two oriental guys get hit by a rain storm, or the gas goes out? Well here is the true art of the pitmaster. He WILL pull out the foil if he needs to, he will pull out the temp probe (which I abhore) if he needs too, he will go above 300 if he needs to, he will do anything just long enough to fix it.

And when you leave competition there too goes your ego. You do more things because really it just doesn't matter. I have had to finish in ovens before because I said "the hell with it, theyve taken on enough smoke, I have wrapped both to quicken the time and once because my last bags of charcoal (when I used it) were crappy and the exposure to that was worse than any jokes that could be made as to me pulling the Q out of the ovens.

But what temp do I lower it to once its just past the stall... when everything is fine and I have plenty of time till service?

220 will do. My fires tend to naturally die down abotu there when the crowd arrives and people look at my big gauges and assume its been an all nighter at 220.

and about what is the estimated time you keep it at that temp until finish.

Okay here is another thing I use at the church not everyone has access to. I have a HUGE proofing oven. You may notice I have those briskets wrapped in plastic (which is preferred and cuts down on transportation mess) and stacked in a tall warmer. Max temp on it is 180 and I keep it there as much as 9 hours at 150-160.

That being said 8 hours is not required... its for convenience. Our big bbqs WE DICTATE TO THE PUBLIC WHEN WE SERVE!!!!!! That is not always practical. I smoke slow for two hours, crank it to high (270-290) until they are passed the stall (5 hours or for the most stubborn as much as 7) then I wrap and pop in the proofer. This keeps me from getting exhausted. I am at the pit, prep, and cleaned up and banked right as the sun sets and I wake up refreshed at 6, pull them out to rest and serve at 10 am.

BUT REMEMBER I AM DOING 30-50 PACKERS!!!!!!!

So being obscure about the tiem and temp is relevant to your arrangement.

it's really about temps and temp times.

NO it is not!!!!!!!
john mueller cooks hot and fast, he cooks everyday exactly the same times no matter what.

Well, let me expand on that because I have visited with the late Bobby Mueller and one thing always tickled me that I never got. He pulled the briskets when they stiffen. That always puzzled me.... I never got it. Of course he parks them in that 13 foot maSSIVE sausage box AND I always assumed it was kept at a sausage making temp. LOW... so they have a good resting or slow cooking time too.

So back to what you should to and I do not know your equipment. If you are going to make a brisket and serve it don't beat yourself up about it. The reason why I have always felt that temps like 220 were superflous was that NOTHING HAPPENS TO MAKE BRISKET GOOD UNDER 213 (EXCEPT THE RING). And when you are that close too much time is accidentally spent UNDER 213 degrees not to count the time the area immediately around the brisket is under 213 degrees due to its mass. The higher you go a bit then your time under 213 diminishes and your brisket is cooking the entire time.

Case in point, the best smoker I know of is the 4000 pound Oyler. It has huge racks that rotate and the funny thing is in this one guy's resturant, who claimed he smoked his brisket 18 hours (lol because he had to) was really because his temp setting was 220. This meant that where the gauges were the temp was 220/ BUT THE BRISKET as it traveled all the way around only spent 60 percent of its time over 213. I made a simple compromise of 230 and the time was cut significantly... enough to reduce his wood consumption and maintanance (due to operating time) in half!!!!

So back to what you should do. If you think you will need 8 hours (I am pulling out a number from my arse) plan for at least 12....with 4 of that being a nice long resting period. No stress, plenty of room for error... heck, LOL plenty of time to grab that brisket out in the rain, pop it in your oven (gasp) and return it to the pit before the guest arrives.

I can say one thing. Once they eat my brisket they could care less it rested in a cambro or ice chest 5 hours before I served it.

if this is totally wrong, please explain.

you say there is no need to wrap, great.

Remember what I said about the pitmaster... but also... I Do wrap before I hold it.
i really really want to learn how to do this hot & fast.
so i went to the person who i thought was one of the best at it.
that's it.
any other tips would be super great-full.
ty sir very much.
ronnie halcomb
little elm tx."

71-South
01-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Great stuff! It's one thing to see numbers, temps, etc., but it's another to see how your brain is working throughout the cook. Thanks!

Pitmaster T
01-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Yeah but the whole reason I do the hot and fast really is if things go like they are supposed to there actually IS less thinking.

jonboy
01-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Pitmaster T,
When is the new cookbook coming out?
jon

Pitmaster T
01-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Pitmaster T,
When is the new cookbook coming out?
jon

Right now the stuff I need to finish for the Galveston daily news is taking priority. Then there is the whole Tracy Scoggins project. GDN is slated to publish an article of mine I wrote about seeing her (shes an actress) dive off the diving board in 1970 which ruined it for me as far as women the rest of my life. Its an article about how significant her knit crochets bathing bikini was... the town still talks about it... anyway... she got wind of it and still has the bathing suit and is going to take a picture of her in it at the age of 59

which ... I am telling you... she is still as beautiful as ever.

lets see then theres an edit job I am doing on Italian Immigration in Galveston county at the turn of the century.

Then my articles on the Interurban of 1911 have now been part of a request to publish a monograph on.

I need to make some time but I need to get my cookign mojo back.

Pitmaster T
01-24-2012, 12:02 AM
This was her pushing forty imagine her when I saw her at... 17 or so

http://www.celebs101.com/gallery/Tracy_Scoggins/98753/tracy_scoggins_photo_8.jpg
http://www.celebs101.com/image--2-1407--Tracy+Scoggins+image+Gallery.html

Ole Man Dan
01-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Hey Pitmaster 'T' love your video's.
I've shared them with a Niece and her hubby. They loved them also.
They are just getting into Smoking.
They haven't joined BBQ BRETHREN yet, but they are starting to check it out.

Pitmaster T
01-24-2012, 04:50 PM
thanks man