PDA

View Full Version : Party for 40

nthole
06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
My neighbor asked me to 'cater' her Dad's 75th bday party. She's actually doing all the sides, deserts, etc, she just asked if I would bbq for her. She's anticipating 40 people, mostly adults. She's asking for pork and chicken.

I'm thinking of 3 - 4 butts (about 32lbs pre-cooked) and 40 leg quarters. That's probably WAY too much. Thoughts from the experts?

AUradar
06-23-2011, 10:18 AM
i'm no expert, only cooked a few times. I think I've been running about 16 pork sandwhiches per butt (average butt being >8lbs). So 3 butts would run about 48 sandwhiches.

I'm currently in your same position. Trying to figure out a multi-meat amount for a party. I'm erroring on the side of having more than enough, figuring the amount needed to feed each person each meat.

chad
06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
That's a lot of pork for 40 people. Should be "plenty" of leftovers...especially with chicken, too. Older folks will only eat a bit of pork and may a chicken leg or thigh or half of a chicken breast. Of course, your mileage will vary. :-D

nthole
06-23-2011, 10:36 AM
i'm no expert, only cooked a few times. I think I've been running about 16 pork sandwhiches per butt (average butt being >8lbs). So 3 butts would run about 48 sandwhiches.

I'm currently in your same position. Trying to figure out a multi-meat amount for a party. I'm erroring on the side of having more than enough, figuring the amount needed to feed each person each meat.

Indeed I was figuring on the same number. The multi-meat thing is what's getting me. I did see your post as well and was keeping an eye on it. Being the different meats I thought it might be helpful for a search perspective to have answers to both.

AUradar
06-24-2011, 07:05 AM
i priced out leg quarters yesterday, a bag of 11 is $6.50. heck, thats too cheap not to cook plenty of them. Unless of course you are charging per person and its profit your worried about.

Good thing about BBQ, it saves easily, good even if its cooled off a bit. and the chicken makes good chicken salad sandwhiches for the rest of the week.

nthole
06-24-2011, 08:12 AM
No charge, no profit here. Just doing a neighborly solid. I'm going today to price out about 25 pounds or raw pork and 30 chicken quarters today and see what that comes to.

willkat98
06-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Thats alot of food Neil.

I don't think you mentioned doing this big of a cook in a while.

Don't forget your gonna need to stock up on fuel!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NQYF-CfnKdc/StZi-rcPH_I/AAAAAAAAA2w/xJsyxs6Kycg/s400/light_bulbs.jpg

Neil
06-24-2011, 05:16 PM
I cooked for a party for 40 last Saturday. They wanted the "works" so I smoked two 8# butts for pulled pork, 8#'s of chicken breast tenderloins, 6 racks of St. Louis cut spares, a 15# whole packer, 1/2 pan of hog apple beans, two 1/2 pans of cheesey potatoes, and a whole pan of slaw. As I was packing up to leave, I was besieged with requests for business cards and was asked if I could do the food for a big wedding next summer. Needless to say, there was plenty of food and everyone was happy so my advice is to prepare more than what you think you'll need. BTW, I graciously turned down the opportunity to cook the wedding because I don't have a catering business. I only hire to people I know real well.