PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from New Hamster..oops...Hampshire

scottm4300
03-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Well, thought I'd dive in and introduce myself. I feel sort of like the guy that looks around and sees everyone showing off their Caddys, Porsches and Lincolns and all I've got is an old rusty AMC Pacer (lol - remember those)!

Been smoking for a couple of years on an el cheapo Brinkmann 39 dollar Cook and Carry. It used to be my grandfathers, and as such has lots of wonderful memories tied to it. It may be small, it may be cheap, but I ain't gettin' rid of it!! It's turned out some awesome pork, cheese and jerky!!

On the other hand - it's time for the upgrade to something a bit more in keeping with my ambition. Of course even FINDING a decent smoker in this part of the world is a bit of a challenge. Perhaps a road trip is in my future. SKD, 'Dera, who knows. I'll find something. Actually thinkiing about building one with brick and mortar. Make it the centerpiece of the outdoor entertainment area.

Winters like this tend to curb those thoughts. Way things are going up here, summer is now scheduled for August 3rd and 4th. :shock:

Anyway - been reading lots of the posts, learning TONS of stuff from you folks! Thanks!!

Solidkick
03-04-2005, 07:04 AM
I like your sense of humor with your thread title! :P

I got started smoking with an electric Meco my wife won as a service award. It still turns out decent Q. What you cook on is not nearly as important as your technique. That, you'll get plenty of advise on here.

Welcome, and don't be a stranger, post often!

Bill-Chicago
03-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Welcome Scott!!

Neil
03-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Welcome aboard Scott. Enjoy what you learn and share what you know, it's what we do. Nice to have another northerner join the group.

spicewine
03-04-2005, 08:08 AM
It's all what you learn to cook on. You can go to contest with the finest rig out there and then someone will come along and beat you with a Hibachi.

Welcome Bro. I started with a Brinkman R 2 D 2 unit.

Cuelio
03-04-2005, 09:05 AM
I agree with Solidkick, I already like this guy. Pop open a cold one and join the fun.

Arlin_MacRae
03-04-2005, 10:07 AM
I agree with Solidkick, I already like this guy. Pop open a cold one and join the fun.

Ditto!

Don't fret about yer rig, Scott, a few of those Porsches got rust spots. :)

BrooklynQ
03-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Welcome man. Looks like the northerner's are taking this group over.

Jorge
03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Good to have you here Scott!

Bellybro
03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the chaos!

One question though, Where is Old Hampshire at???

parrothead
03-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Welcome! we have been needing a new Hampster around here for awhile. Don't ask what happened to the old one.

tommykendall
03-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Welcome aboard Scott. MAybe you can convert that AMC into a smoker.

Trout_man22
03-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Welcome Scott

Heath
03-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Welcome Scott, glad to see you have the other coast guarded from the Canadiens. At least throw something on the fireplace to cook while you're waiting for summer.

Solidkick
03-04-2005, 06:17 PM
It's all what you learn to cook on. You can go to contest with the finest rig out there and then someone will come along and beat you with a Hibachi.

That be the Belly Brothers..........old Bandera did a good job kickin' them pellet poopers a$$ in 2 catagories.......I started to use Jays line, glad he did!!!!

Ron_L
03-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Mmmm... Hampster... You cook them like fatties, right?

Welcome, Scott!

BigBelly
03-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Welcome aboard Scott!

Well, there ya go, you've done, done it now! First the minor upgrade in smokers, then comes the WSM, then the cookshack FE, then the Klose. Then shortly after you know it you got all the toy's! But when you look at the entire arsenal they all do the same fundamental thing, and that is turn out really great Q. So if what ya got it working then by all means stick with it.

I am sure you already noticed but it don't matter what you cook on, as long as you are having fun and enjoying yourself then you already won the battle! We don't discriminate, just jump on in and have a ball!

Good luck!

kcquer
03-05-2005, 03:52 AM
Scott, Welcome Brother!!

jeffsasmokin
03-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Welcome Scott! Great to see you have a good sense of humor! Even though it was a horrible joke! :lol:

scottm4300
03-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Thanks for making me feel welcome guys!! I appreciate it!!

racer_81
03-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the asylum Scott.

Bigdog
03-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Welcome Scott. One of the best things about Qing is that the type of smoker is not anywhere near as important as the one who is smoking. Never apologize for your ride or your smoker. They both help you "get er done." :wink:

cookswithfire
03-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Welcome Scott
Your Avatar ...What exactly are you doing to that Bird?

spicewine
03-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Mmmm... Hampster... You cook them like fatties, right?

Silly!! Everyone knows your supposed to put them in the microwave!!

chad
03-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Greetings!

We were up your way last year visiting friends up around Rochester. Beautiful part of the country. Too bad it's so damned cold! :D

You'll find all types and brands of cookers here - and that has turned out to be one of the great things about this sitej.

Glad you decided to come over to the dark side! :mrgreen:

frognot
03-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Welcome aboard, Scott! Lottsa good advice here & a whole more BS. Don't much matter what yer smokin' on, just the fact that yer smoking meat. Lotta folks here can give ya advice on cooking when it's cold.

Maybe we can get Food Network to do a show called "Pimp My Smoker".

jt
03-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Maybe we can get Food Network to do a show called "Pimp My Smoker".
I like "American Smoker" - every episode is a Bash! :D

cabo
03-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Welcome man. Looks like the northerner's are taking this group over.

Welcome Scott!!!!!!

Hmmmph !! Northerners ?? :roll:
I think we are just slowly but surely, and ever so cleverly turning Y’all into Southerners, without the geographical relocation……….If you doubt me, wait and see!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

jgh1204
03-08-2005, 09:39 PM
AMC Pacer smoker mod.