PDA

View Full Version : Iron Chef category...what to bring???

slowerlowerbbq
06-19-2011, 09:15 PM
So it looks like we'll be entering our first iron chef contest next month at the Wildwood, NJ contest and I am completely clueless how to prepare for this thing. Is everything usually supplied? Is it up to us to provide seasonings, garnish, etc.? If we provide seasoning, what do you usually bring extra? We usually travel with the basics anyway (beside rubs): sea salt, black pepper, evoo, garlic powder, paprika...Accent :shocked:....

Of course, I will ask the organizers, but I was curious as to how the brethren preppared for these type of contests.

ssbbqguy
06-20-2011, 05:19 AM
I hope the organizer provides what you are to cook. That's the premise of that type of battle.Giving the same products to those entered and judging the outcome. Let us know after you find out.As far as prep, almost impossible to practice until you have an idea of what. Steve.

El Lobo
06-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Any links to past events?

Smokenstein & monster crew
06-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Bring your A game.............

butt head
06-20-2011, 05:12 PM
I have been to wildwood for the last 6 years and they always do iron chef, they will provide the main ingrediance (last year was duck) some times they will give you a starch and veggi to, you have to use what they give you in some way. after you get the meat or whatever you are free to go shop for whatever you want as long as you use what was givin. hope that helps see you their.

Pig Headed
06-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Mark,
Bring a pantry with enough spices or anything else you think you might need. You don;t know if the protein will be seafood, meat or whatever. Last year was Italian sausage, the year before was frozen baby duck. Be prepared for anything. We've only been there the last two years and they didn't provide anything but the protein, but the newsletter said they MAY give other ingredients.

slowerlowerbbq
06-20-2011, 05:51 PM
I have been to wildwood for the last 6 years and they always do iron chef, they will provide the main ingrediance (last year was duck) some times they will give you a starch and veggi to, you have to use what they give you in some way. after you get the meat or whatever you are free to go shop for whatever you want as long as you use what was givin. hope that helps see you their.

Thanks John. I didnt know if this was a first for them or not, but this being our first iron chef, I wanted to at least know what we were in store for.

ique
06-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Bacon

Garlic Butter

Wonton Wrappers. Use to make raviolis with pretty much anything they throw at you... deep fry them ideally

Smokenstein & monster crew
06-20-2011, 06:47 PM
works for me....you win

Bacon

Garlic Butter

Wonton Wrappers. Use to make raviolis with pretty much anything they throw at you... deep fry them ideally

Crash
06-20-2011, 07:56 PM
I've competed in 4 of these events and each one was different than the other. In one, we could bring whatever we wanted from home and we were given 5 ingredients that we had to use. In another we were given all the ingredients and a smoker and could only use our own knives. In another we had to buy 3 ingredients from a convenience store, use all three ingredients plus whatever we had in our camp. In the last we had to buy 3 ingredients from a convenience store, use all three ingredients plus whatever we had in our camp.....BUT, we had to switch ingredients with the other team (which we did not know about).

They are fun events and allow you the opportunity to get creative.