PDA

View Full Version : Westmont Red White & BBQ Amateur turn in box

Porky Joes
06-12-2011, 12:43 PM
I managed to score 36 out of 39 which was still better than 40th.
Besides the weather, I was on two hours sleep and forgot the top to the canopy so my wife had to run back and get it. We finally got the top on 10 minutes before the first storm rolled through.

I saw a clip where this guy uses, butter, honey, and brown sugar on both sides of his ribs when he foils them up on the smoker. I have tried this twice and added apple juice but it lost the bite to it. I think for the future, I will go back to using apple juice only.

I am attaching a picture of my turn in box. For some reason I had run out of room when placing the ribs in there but turned it in anyway.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Porky Joes

Harbormaster
06-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Joe,
Most teams want to show off the color on the front side of the rib by placing them in the box bone side down. We turn in 4 ribs overlapping 4 ribs.

bignburlyman
06-12-2011, 12:55 PM
First off the ribs look pretty good, but it looks like the parsley was a little loose and the ribs sank somewhat out of sight. The side view is a little less attractive to me than seeing the top of the rib with all the color/glaze. The ribs look like they were placed into the box without a lot of care as to direction of the bone, it looks like the second bone from the left is upside down. Not sure on the fifth and sixth ribs, they almost look different from the others. May just be the angle. It looks like the sauce is a little sloppy, a few runs on the first and second bones look sloppy. I would score 6 maybe a 7, just doesn't really jump out to me.

Porky Joes
06-12-2011, 12:58 PM
That was the only way I could fit them in the box for all 6 pieces. I had to re-arrange them for that.

rev0jace
06-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Man how do I keep missing all the events in the Chicagoland area.

Porky Joes
06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Joe,
Most teams want to show off the color on the front side of the rib by placing them in the box bone side down. We turn in 4 ribs overlapping 4 ribs.

Would you be able to provide a picture by chance?

daveinwestmont
06-13-2011, 10:53 PM
I can't seem to get my image to upload...
Let me know if you want it emailed to you.....

I did well this year at it...

Porky Joes
06-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Thank you for emailing me the picture. It does look a lot better than mine. I will definetly try that in the next competion I am attending in September. That is the Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ.

daveinwestmont
06-15-2011, 08:53 PM
I may see you there....