PDA

View Full Version : Rate my chicken box

Harbormaster
06-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Hey everyone.

Before y'all look at my pic and rate my chicken turn in from Poor Que on June 11, I have to ask a couple of favors.

First, if you cooked Poor Que and are aware of this particular turn in, please don't comment.

Second, my son took the pic, so the color quality is a little off, but it doesn't really matter so please forgive me.

So, give me your appearance scores for my Poor Que chikin turn-in:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/harbormasterwyc/sheecone.jpg

big brother smoke
06-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Clark, I look at this and though it intrigues me, it does not give me that, "Pavlovian" 9. It gets an 8 from me.

Bentley
06-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Nice fatties, not sure I would have known it was chicken...a 7.

I realize you did not ask for any advice, but maybe fan them on a bias so I know its chicken...I am assuming that is a breast, most unnatural looking breast I have ever seen.

big brother smoke
06-11-2011, 11:54 PM
You are supposed to rate the box on what the man is trying to do, Bent! :behindsofa:

Bentley
06-12-2011, 12:23 AM
You are supposed to rate the box on what the man is trying to do, Bent! :behindsofa:

I did.

rcorun
06-12-2011, 07:27 AM
A firm 7. First thought is - what do we have here- just does not jump out as chicken. Nice idea though as good juicy breast meat should score high. CBJ 53995

NRA4Life
06-12-2011, 07:33 AM
probably an 8

PimpSmoke
06-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Nice fatties, not sure I would have known it was chicken...a 7.

I realize you did not ask for any advice, but maybe fan them on a bias so I know its chicken...I am assuming that is a breast, most unnatural looking breast I have ever seen.

Nice comment, I hope you never judge at a table my entries land on.

I am not bagging on anyone's entry since everyone should know who this is (and I think personally it's pretty good), but you're going to tell me these thighs look "natural?" Why don't you score these for us?

Hub
06-12-2011, 08:24 AM
I like your creativity. Your symmetry is good. Fairly even coloring. Centered well for "picture" effect. Nice greens, well placed and fluffed. A solid 8.

Lake Dogs
06-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I like your creativity. Your symmetry is good. Fairly even coloring. Centered well for "picture" effect. Nice greens, well placed and fluffed. A solid 8.

I agree with Hub above. I'm borderline 7 or 8. There's definitely a non-chicken thing going on about it, but otherwise nice appetizing color.

Dale P
06-12-2011, 09:35 AM
7 - above average.

theflints01
06-12-2011, 09:55 AM
I'd give it an 8. If you could sqeeze a third breast in there to really fill out the box that would help. Also, the color is nice but a bit monochromatic. If the skin had more color of its own, that would look even nicer. Looks tasty though, good job.

Three porks
06-12-2011, 10:03 AM
The bottom right corner of the breast looks like the sauce ran over a bit on to your greens, it would have been an 9 but now I have to give you a 7. HAHA just kidding. Those look awesome!!

Harbormaster
06-12-2011, 12:39 PM
OK guys, I can't edit the OP, so here is a pic with corrected color in it.

Maybe now y'all can tell it's chikin.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/harbormasterwyc/sheecone-1.jpg

The_Kapn
06-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Clark,

I think the chicken looks "really good".
I would like to try it, for sure.

Keeping the slices together should help keep it moist.
I would really like to see a slice from the side. I will bet it would be beautiful, but would dry out faster.

Good concept.

TIM

bignburlyman
06-12-2011, 01:02 PM
I think it looks good, nice color and shine. It is a little different looking, they must have been large size breasts to pull to that shape. I would probably be solid at 8.

Ryan Chester
06-12-2011, 02:09 PM
I know how difficult that entry could be and you pulled it off pretty well. Im not huge on the color but you did a fantastic job nontheless. 8.

riblette
06-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I'd give it an 8. If you could sqeeze a third breast in there to really fill out the box that would help. Also, the color is nice but a bit monochromatic. If the skin had more color of its own, that would look even nicer. Looks tasty though, good job.

What they said. :thumb:

mobow
06-12-2011, 03:56 PM
sorry just does not talk to me. 6, 7 at best. keith

bmanMA
06-12-2011, 04:18 PM
i like it. 7-8 for me. More care on the sauce would be a solid 8.
now to see if you kept it moist :)

crd26a
06-12-2011, 04:43 PM
First, if you cooked Poor Que and are aware of this particular turn in, please don't comment.

So what's the back story on this?

jbrink01
06-12-2011, 04:49 PM
7 / 8

Bbq Bubba
06-12-2011, 04:52 PM
It's a chicken turn-in.
If you have to score it down because your not sure what it might be, you need to be judging cakes.
I look at that and say "bout farken time someone tries something different!"

Easy 8. :thumb:

monty3777
06-12-2011, 05:17 PM
No way that deserves a six! I'll give you my first 10 second impressions. My first thought was "meatloaf." Then after a couple of seconds my mind switched to "this is a good looking, though not great looking, breast. I appreciate the creativity." I'd give a solid 8, but only after thinking about it. I'm kind of with Bbq Bubba. Whether it's KCBS party line or not, I'd reward the attempt at being different. I'd give you a 9 if you could avoid the loaf look.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-12-2011, 05:25 PM
doesnt look tender....just kidding

I would go a solid 8, more meat in the box...9

Harbormaster
06-12-2011, 05:26 PM
now to see if you kept it moist :) Predominantly 7's and 8's on taste and tenderness, so it was pretty good.

It's a chicken turn-in.
If you have to score it down because your not sure what it might be, you need to be judging cakes. Outstanding! :thumb:
I look at that and say "bout farken time someone tries something different!"

Easy 8. :thumb:Thanks Bubba. We've done this the last 2 comps and placed 10th the first time we tried it. We did a much better job cooking it the first time.

So what's the back story on this?

I'm glad someone finally asked.

Here are the appearance scores I received on this entry:

(Drum roll please....)

Judge 1 - 9
Judge 2 - 9
Judge 3 - 7
Judge 4 - 9
Judge 5 - 8

And (wait for it........)

Judge 6 - 2

:shocked:

Discuss.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Nice comment, I hope you never judge at a table my entries land on.

I am not bagging on anyone's entry since everyone should know who this is (and I think personally it's pretty good), but you're going to tell me these thighs look "natural?" Why don't you score these for us?

color is "blotchie" but look good, not natural..an 8..

wish mine looked that good!

bignburlyman
06-12-2011, 05:40 PM

(Drum roll please....)

Judge 1 - 9
Judge 2 - 9
Judge 3 - 7
Judge 4 - 9
Judge 5 - 8

Judge 6 - 2

Discuss.

Not judge #6 again! DAMM him anyway! :mad: A 2 is completely out of wack.

Bentley
06-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Was not my intent to offend. Gave my honest take on it, assumed the posted wanted that, maybe I was wrong, that is how I saw it. I will know in the future who's boxes just to pass on since I am as much a hack cook as CBJ in some folks mind.

Lake Dogs
06-12-2011, 05:50 PM
2? a 2? I'm hoping this is a typo, mis-translation, etc. Even if this invoked thoughts of something undesirable it doesn't get a 2. I agree with the others, it has a loaf look thing going on that is less than chickenesque, but a 2? No way.

Harbormaster
06-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Was not my intent to offend. Gave my honest take on it, assumed the posted wanted that, maybe I was wrong, that is how I saw it.
I appreciate that.
However, my much shorter inexperienced 13 year old son took the photo (while wearing a yellow hat which caused the red chicken to appear orange, and the green lettuce to appear lemon-lime), thus the disclaimer in the OP.

Your score was not offensive.

What's your take on judge 6's score?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
06-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Fortunately for judge 6 they only threw out his score.

Bentley
06-12-2011, 06:06 PM
I appreciate that.
Your score was not offensive.

What's your take on judge 6's score?

Thank you.

Either a Crackhead or forgot to take their Ritalin...

bmanMA
06-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Predominantly 7's and 8's on taste and tenderness, so it was pretty good.

Outstanding! :thumb:
Thanks Bubba. We've done this the last 2 comps and placed 10th the first time we tried it. We did a much better job cooking it the first time.

(Drum roll please....)

Judge 1 - 9
Judge 2 - 9
Judge 3 - 7
Judge 4 - 9
Judge 5 - 8

Judge 6 - 2

Discuss.

Ha! What is it with judge farking 6??!! Seems to always happen...

SaucyWench
06-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Mmm'kay, a 2 is inedible, so judge 6 is allergic to chicken breasts? I hope the rep spoke to that judge!

From the picture, I say 7, because while it definitely looks above average, it doesn't make me want to grab it out of the table captain's hands, but it could be an 8 in person. It's always good to see something a bit different in chicken.

Meat Burner
06-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Nice 8 from here.

Spydermike72
06-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Wow, I say it is a high 8 or a 9. I am with Bubba on this. Way to be creative and try it. I know you and have cooked with you so I know the taste and tenderness was more than likely above average. How did you place ?

cryptical
06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Maybe I'm a poor judge, but I can't imagine an entry that would get a 2 for appearance that wouldn't already be DQ'd for some sort of foreign substance in the box. That box looks fine to me, probably a 9.

monty3777
06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
I think the judge gave a "2" thinking he or she was giving the second highest score. Meaning that if the judge knew the scoring system better it would have been an "8"

Harbormaster
06-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Fortunately for judge 6 they only threw out his score. Unfortunately, Judge 6 was not the low score. Judge 5 was lower (6's in taste and tenderness)

Mmm'kay, a 2 is inedible, so judge 6 is allergic to chicken breasts? I hope the rep spoke to that judge! They did, and the reps were wonderful about it; polite, courteous, proactive - even went looking for me to discuss the score after awards.

Wow, I say it is a high 8 or a 9. I am with Bubba on this. Way to be creative and try it. I know you and have cooked with you so I know the taste and tenderness was more than likely above average. How did you place ? That means a lot to me Mike, very gracious of you to say. Chicken placed 30th.

Lake Dogs
06-12-2011, 08:45 PM
^^^ Ok, I'm curious; how'd the discussion go? What was the explanation of the 2?

Harbormaster
06-12-2011, 08:52 PM
^^^ Ok, I'm curious; how'd the discussion go? What was the explanation of the 2?

Well, from what the reps told me, she said she "just didn't like the way it looked."

I told the rep that the only way I should have received a 2 in appearance is if I cooked the chicken, then sat down and ate the chicken, went out behind the bushes and sh!t out the chicken, and put the sh!t in the box.

I did not go off on the reps as they were great, even went looking for me to explain the score.

The score didn't make me mad. It insulted me and made me embarrassed for the judge.

Rookie'48
06-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Ok, a tad off subject here but it does relate. This weekend I gave the lowest appearance score of my 5 year / 50+ comp career as a KCBS judge. The ribs looked like they had been torn (not cut) apart and thrown into the box - I gave him a 3 and a comment card.

I'm wondering how you can say that an entry "looks" inedible.

I would have most likely given a 7 or 8 going by the pic - and I'm sure that it would score better in person.

Smokesman
06-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Hey everyone.

Before y'all look at my pic and rate my chicken turn in from Poor Que on June 11, I have to ask a couple of favors.

Second, my son took the pic, so the color quality is a little off, but it doesn't really matter so please forgive me.

So, give me your appearance scores for my Poor Que chikin turn-in:

I like big breasts and I cannot lie...

In an actual judges setting we of course would know this is chicken. I would give a 7 - seems pale and as others said lacks that "jump into the box" quality. I'll bet it tastes good though!

Smokesman
06-14-2011, 07:21 AM
Predominantly 7's and 8's on taste and tenderness, so it was pretty good.

Outstanding! :thumb:
Thanks Bubba. We've done this the last 2 comps and placed 10th the first time we tried it. We did a much better job cooking it the first time.

(Drum roll please....)

Judge 1 - 9
Judge 2 - 9
Judge 3 - 7
Judge 4 - 9
Judge 5 - 8

Judge 6 - 2

Discuss.

Judge 6 should have been run up a pole for giving a 2. Harbor, your sh!t in a box analogy made for a great morning laugh - thanks man!

abangs
06-14-2011, 08:22 AM
I just Sh*t my pants laughing at this!! In my post on "Gotta complain a bit here..." this is the kind of thing I think should be required....a score outside of the norm of the other judges should require an explanation from that judge and not be optional. If the contest rep had not gone to the judge first, then you'd be out of luck on an explanation and madder than a wet cat. From listening to the "rate it" comments and all of the 7's being passed out, I am learning to adjust my expectations of judges scores.....I guess when my chicken/ribs/pork/brisket boxes come back with 5 judges throwing 9's at appearance and 1 throws a 7 then I should be flattered and not mad at the one judge that threw a 7!!!!!!

You said one judge threw 6's at taste and tenderness. What were the other taste and tenderness scores?????? I've been wanting to do breast as a turn in but have not had the testicular fortitude to do so!!

I'd score this a strong 8, probably a 9. I think it looks great.

Well, from what the reps told me, she said she "just didn't like the way it looked."

I told the rep that the only way I should have received a 2 in appearance is if I cooked the chicken, then sat down and ate the chicken, went out behind the bushes and sh!t out the chicken, and put the sh!t in the box.

I did not go off on the reps as they were great, even went looking for me to explain the score.

The score didn't make me mad. It insulted me and made me embarrassed for the judge.

abangs
06-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Oh, and my hat is off to the rep for coming to get you and explain it first....I hope he/she chewed that judge a new bung hole for that.......

abangs
06-14-2011, 08:36 AM
I wish more judges would give comment cards.......sure would help!!!

If my math is semi-accurate you've looked at around 1,200 turn ins. If you do not mind, from a judges perspective, give us a little advice to help with our appearance scores. What do you like to see?

Ok, a tad off subject here but it does relate. This weekend I gave the lowest appearance score of my 5 year / 50+ comp career as a KCBS judge. The ribs looked like they had been torn (not cut) apart and thrown into the box - I gave him a 3 and a comment card.

I'm wondering how you can say that an entry "looks" inedible.

I would have most likely given a 7 or 8 going by the pic - and I'm sure that it would score better in person.

Harbormaster
06-14-2011, 08:50 AM
You said one judge threw 6's at taste and tenderness. What were the other taste and tenderness scores??????
7s and 8s from everyone else, even the judge who scored a 2 in appearance!

ique
06-14-2011, 09:00 AM
7. Cool idea, one thing that might improve the appearance is to slightly fan or tile the slices so I can see both exterior bark/rub/sauce and the interior meat.

Harbormaster
06-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I e-mailed the KCBS and I did get a response but only that the issue will be looked into.

NorthwestBBQ
06-14-2011, 08:02 PM
I'd give it a 6, try harder. :evil:

bbq.tom
06-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Like a couple other comments on this box, I would like to see this meat "fanned" or otherwise positioned so that I could see another portion of the meat other than just the outside of the whole roasted skinless breast.
Color is a bit off (I know, lighting!)
I'd give this a 7 as is, maybe an 8 in person.

smokincracker
06-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Clark,

I think the chicken looks "really good".
I would like to try it, for sure.

Keeping the slices together should help keep it moist.
I would really like to see a slice from the side. I will bet it would be beautiful, but would dry out faster.

Good concept.

TIM

I agree Tim.. The garnish looks real good

Rookie'48
06-15-2011, 11:43 PM
I wish more judges would give comment cards.......sure would help!!!

If my math is semi-accurate you've looked at around 1,200 turn ins. If you do not mind, from a judges perspective, give us a little advice to help with our appearance scores. What do you like to see?

Wow! I never even thought about how many turn-ins I've seen :shock:. But then again, you're the numbers guy :becky:.

Real loosely, what I want to see is the meat, not a half inch of sauce on top of a pile of whatever it was. I want to see that the cook has some pride in this entry, not just thrown in the box as if to say "Screw it - it's just garbage anyway!" I want to see clean, straight knife cuts, not something that looks like all you've got is a chainsaw.
On appearance scores show me that you CARE - that makes me care. If you turn in something that looks bad my first impression is that it tastes bad. When I pull the score card out from under the plate to score taste & tenderness I don't pull it out so far that I can see the appearance score, then I won't be so apt to judge the taste with my eyes first.

Hopefully I've made some sense here. Really it comes down to personal likes & dislikes for the appearance score - and there's always going to be one yo-yo out there who won't like the best looking box on the planet.

PimpSmoke
06-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Imma bump this. I tasted the chicken and it was good, despite the circumstances we had to deal with.

To say this one 2 doesn't burn my ass, I can't. An 8? Maybe on a good day (sorry Clark, what I see now), a 6? OK I can roll with that, but a farkin' 2? Come on, somethings broke and it needs a creative person to fix it.

I have an idea, but I'm no politician, so I would have to get a critique.

mjl
06-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Clark,

I'd give it a 2 also, as in 2 Big Brass ones. I don't know if I would have had the nads to turn it in, and I do like how it looks. I tip my hat.

ML

Harbormaster
07-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Not my intent to resurrect this whole thing, but I did hear back from the KCBS, and there really isn't anything they can do with this judge other than let folks know what happened.
Hopefully it will severely limit this judge's opportunities to judge.